Build the fastest boat

AlexL

A rover? It seems pretty unlikely for a rover to go faster on the water than 428.7-m/s, but I look forward to watching you try... :wink:

Just add a mainsail and more mainsails, and another one. then add wheels. Therefor, you get a mainsail powered rover boat.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAIUDBAGS KJFBSDKJfgdfog

My question to that one, does it survive that speed? or is this a screenshot just moments before the whole thing exploded? There was nothing in the rules that said that wasn't allowed, but it does look questionable... :P

My question to that one, does it survive that speed? or is this a screenshot just moments before the whole thing exploded? There was nothing in the rules that said that wasn't allowed, but it does look questionable... :P

That depends on what you mean by "survive". :P That shot is, of course, at the moment it has run out of solid fuel and the craft is at its lightest, therefore fastest. At those speeds, the sudden loss of thrust causes it to promptly nose in, rapidly disassemble, and recycle itself along with its pilot.

However, while the fuel is burning, the thing is amazingly steady. That's what leads me to think one could go faster, if you could figure out how to burn longer without messing up the balance, drag, TWR, etc..

I've uploaded the .craft file to my page, and I'm going to make a video of a complete run and put that up there too. Help yourself!

Wow, I wasn't expecting to see my little old thread back on the first page of the challenge forums again! My thanks to seanth, and best wishes for his [thread=51408]Boat momentum challenge[/thread].

I'd love it if we could get a scoreboard going for Laythe and Eve as well as Kerbin. Sirine, I'm sorry to say that using Hyperedit does prevent your paddle-wheel from getting on the list, but fly it there atop a rocket and I'll gladly give it to you.

Best of luck fellow kerbanauts. Even if you don't have something record breaking, please do share, we'd love to see it!

Sirine, I'm sorry to say that using Hyperedit does prevent your paddle-wheel from getting on the list, but fly it there atop a rocket and I'll gladly give it to you.

:blush: Well then, throw out all of my records. I guess it belongs to Nao.

I assumed "no mods" meant nothing that could affect the speed of the craft. IRL, boat races have nothing to do with the trailer they get delivered on, AFAIK. Just sayin'.

On a side note, I just went through and looked at all of my KSP screenshots, and I noticed that a few from the Regatta actually show a speed higher than the 222.1 m/s I listed as my top speed. I think that may have just been the top speed for my successful round trip, not the failed ones. It's only a couple m/s difference, so I won't bother fussing about it. Just thought I'd mention it.

• 1 month later...

No offense, but I must say that I'm just a tiny bit suspicious that the ship is actually flying. The aerodynamic effects are swooping downward, and the climb-rate gauge shows a steep descent at the moment the screeny was snapped.

Of course, I could be wrong, and this isn't my challenge so you don't owe me anything, but can you post a video and a copy of your .craft file? I'd like to see the whole ship and try it myself. THANKS! :D

Whilst not acheiving the speeds of the SRB-powered watercraft, I would nevertheless like to submit a practical high-speed craft for everyday use: The Waterbourne:

screenshot2.png

For the speed freaks, Mk II:

screenshot3.png

/Ed

Edited by Deddly

Whilst not acheiving the speeds of the SRB-powered watercraft, I would nevertheless like to submit a practical high-speed craft for everyday use: The Waterbourne:

For the speed freaks, Mk II:

/Ed

Awesome ships! I love a pretty design that's fast and usable. Can you post your .craft files?

I'm currently working on the "SEAL Explorer" that will do high-speed Sea, Air, and Land travel without exploding on every bump.

Awesome ships! I love a pretty design that's fast and usable. Can you post your .craft files?

I'm flattered. I'm happy to let you try out the Waterbourne prototype. There are some guidelines:

DO Enjoy sailing your new Waterbourne jet-powered high-speed hydrofoil

DON'T Enjoy sailing your new Waterbourne jet-powered high-speed hydrofoil into solid objects

DO get up to speed at 2/3 throttle before going full-speed

DON'T put the throttle to full when you are at a standstill

DO consider life insurance from our friends at F5 Insurance

DON'T count on them paying up

DO let the the manufacturer know your impressions of the craft

DON'T be too harsh, or the manufacturer may sulk

DO remember that this is a precision-engineered high-performance watercraft

DON'T try to adjust the position of the bow hydrofoil.

DO take that last one seriously

DON'T expect to live to tell the tale if you don't

DO keep your speed at 60 m/s or below when on land

DON'T be afraid to jump off the end of the runway at that speed

If you agree to the above terms and conditions, please order your very own Waterbourne by following the link below today!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20576590/Waterbourne.craft

/Ed

Edited by Deddly

I'm flattered. I'm happy to let you try out the Waterbourne prototype. There are some guidelines:

If you agree to the above terms and conditions, please order your very own Waterbourne by following the link below today!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20576590/Waterbourne.craft

/Ed

Ha! Lolz... Thanks Deddly! I can't wait to try it out. You are of course welcome to gank all my ships as well - found on our site.

My latest creation, "Sea Explorer 6" is a long-distance, sorta-high-speed, crazy-high-maneuverability, and pretty sexy number that I'm using to meander around the coastlines. I'm kinda proud, 'cuz she's kinda awesome. She loves full throttle and full rudder at all times, and she's damn hard to wreck. She beats straight and true while naked and free, but she's also got MechJeb and ASAS on board for snoozing on long trips. Enjoy!

Since you've mentioned it, I think I'll tweak Waterbourne's bow plane just to see what happens! (great name, BTW)

Fair winds and following seas!

• 3 weeks later...

I hereby claim the highest and only water speed on Laythe. This seaplane is obviously not built for speed on water, and it's only running at 1/3 throttle, but since it's the only entry so far, that puts me on top of the leaderboard!

screenshot83.png

--

Deddly Design

OK, I suppose the vast sea in the background was a little vague. Here's the rest of the adventure:

Takeoff

screenshot38.png

Eye candy

screenshot39.png

Refuelling

screenshot52.png

"The rocket that got me there"

screenshot54.png

That don't look like Kerbin

screenshot59.png

I feel quite small

screenshot60.png

Nice and toasty

screenshot61.png

Definitely not Mun

screenshot62.png

Ooh, pretty

screenshot64.png

screenshot67.png

Oops, that's just a little too hot

screenshot69.png

Abort!

screenshot71.png

Help?

screenshot74.png

Next contestant!

screenshot78.png

There he is

screenshot80.png

Landed safely

screenshot81.png

Rescued the guy - only been here for a few years

screenshot86.png

Most definitely not Kerbin, no.

screenshot87.png

Ed

Edited by Deddly

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.