How do you make a plane?

CkGordon

My space program is going fantastic but I thought a nice change of pace would be to dabble in the aerospace part of the game so I set about building a nice test plane and flying it and it can... fly... sorta... it just handles really really hard...

Can someone who is a more experienced kerbal aircraft builder take a look at my plane and tell me what the problem is? Or if that's just how the physics engine handles flight? It seems really hard to make soft turns without ending up upside down. Are A,S,D,F, Q,E the right controls? Am I missing something?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34997[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34998[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34999[/ATTACH]

My space program is going fantastic but I thought a nice change of pace would be to dabble in the aerospace part of the game so I set about building a nice test plane and flying it and it can... fly... sorta... it just handles really really hard...

Can someone who is a more experienced kerbal aircraft builder take a look at my plane and tell me what the problem is? Or if that's just how the physics engine handles flight? It seems really hard to make soft turns without ending up upside down. Are A,S,D,F, Q,E the right controls? Am I missing something?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34997[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34998[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34999[/ATTACH]

Handling Sensitivity is dependant entirely on how you build your plane. The reason the plane you've got there is twitchy comes down to several causes:

- large control surfaces far from the centre of roll (For a plane that size, more than a single pair of control surfaces is overkill),

- the lightweight nature of the plane (big, heavy planes will naturally turn slower), and...

- too much thrust. The engines you're using reorient themselves to help you steer. For a plane that size, you only really need one engine, two if you're feeling like something faster.

It's a fine first attempt though. A lot better than my early attempts.

Typically, check your center of lift and center of mass. You want the center of mass infront of the center of lift. This will make the plane naturally want to nose down, making it speed up. To get the balance, tilt the "elevator" control surfaces upward (as if the plane was trying to pull up)

This tends to make easy to fly planes. Theres lots of other tricks too, but they aren't relevant to a delta like you are flying here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.