The Linux compatibility thread!

Hi Yoha, yeah I'd expect that as AMD dropped support for that card and older models, you could try the open source Mesa driver, it's recently had some speed improvements.

I will try again with the Mesa driver when I get the occasion then.

Nothing obvious in KSP.log, are there any other log files to look at?

BTW I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit, on a i3 laptop with 3GB RAM and integrated graphics (Intel® Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 driver) with the KSP graphics on fairly minimal settings. Everything else in the game looks fine, and performance is much the same as Win7. It just CTD's abruptly with no error message when I descend to ~30K...?

Thanks, turning "aerodynamic FX quality" (re-entry effects?) down to "Minimal" has stopped the crashes, sadly I don't get to see any pretty flames anymore :(

At least I can land it now :)

Alright, so I've updated the segfaults, installed the fonts, updated my Nvidia drivers to 331 and everything loads fine and dandy.

I'm just having one problem within the game. Whenever I turn the camera using the mouse, I'm experieincing a lot of lag, if I do it in the first screen which shows the entire space center too much then the game just freezes.

I've tried looking through the thread for my specific issue but I think I might've missed it somewhere.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.11

Intel i5-2500k

GeForce GTX 760

OS = 64 Bit

Ram is 16 GB

Hmm that's odd banana, I used to get that issue in a previous version but not since the last couple of updates (at least 0.23). Drivers would be my first thought but you've already addressed that. It was always the atmosphere that was the culprit for that problem in the past, does it happen while in deep space or when facing away from the planet?

Just tested it a little more, decided to remove mods and check if Stock Kerbal was experiencing the same issue. Nope, can swing my camera everywhere without freezing.

I suppose I'll have to test each mod after installing to see which is the culprit causing the lag.

After going through all my mods, I've found that Romfarer's Lazer systems and also Mission control extended are both lagging my camera for some reason. Without them installed, I still get a small hang every now and then but it's worse when those two are in. And when one of them is in, the lagging is minor but still annoying.

I think it's the graphics thomad16, there's a fix for the ivybridge though.

This error is right near the top of your log:

[WRN 05:17:24.881] The image effect ImageEffects Unity3 (TiltShift) has been disabled as it's not supported on the current platform.

Heyall,

the patcher doesn't start from launcher, other stuff launches but the update button grays out momentarily and then nothing. There are no error messages to be seen in console that I started Launcher.x86 from. Is this a known issue? Preferably with a known solution ;)

Well duh, I just realized that the Patcher executable was not flagged as executable, chmod +x fixed that and now it starts. It runs rsync and the update process seems to run fine (rsync says it 'has exited normally'), but at the game's start screen I still see v0.23.5.0?? At the end of running patcher, GUI is displaying 'cleaning up some files' and it hangs there untill I click OK to close the window. If I have ran launcher and opened patcher from there I'm not seeing any errors in terminal, when running patcher directly there's

Exception AttributeError: AttributeError("'_DummyThread' object has no attribute '_Thread__block'",) in <module 'threading' from '/tmp/_MEIZmKwR5/threading.pyc'> ignored

Any thoughts?

I think it's the graphics thomad16, there's a fix for the ivybridge though

Thank's for your input. This didn't fix the issue though. Interestingly the crash only occurs in 0.23.5 and not in 0.23.0

I'll keep looking at it and searching around but for now i'm going to swallow my pride and move on over to windows.

I'll keep looking at it and searching around but for now i'm going to swallow my pride and move on over to windows.

Dammit we're losing them! Gimmie some tech support stat!

I know we say it everytime, and you've probably already done it, but just in case; have you patched the libpng thing, like this (for 0.23.5)?

echo "090f377: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
echo "090f37c: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

If that doesn't work, or you've already done it, try it without any mods installed and see if it still happens. If you can narrow it down to a specific mod maybe we can get it fixed.

Thank you for all your epic and prompt support it is people like you who are fast turning linux into a viable gaming platform.

I think I'm going to run this on windows *sob*. Don't worry I'm not selling out it's just this is an older laptop held together with duct tape and superglue and I'm going to go back to linux as soon as i'm done building a desktop.

OK, so im running ubuntu 12.04, latest nvidia drivers, ran through all the stuff on this guide.

I'm trying to run KSP with ... a lot of mods. Almost exactly a gig worth of mods. And I'm trying to do it without texture compression.

Launching x86 with no mods works fine. Launching x86_64 with no mods works fine.

Launching either with all my mods makes KSP crash in the loading bar, gets about 1/3 of the way, then when it goes over or near 2gigs of memory for the KSP process, blam. crash.

I'm confused because I thought the 64 bit was supposed to support more than 2 gigs of memory. It's acting like it doesnt. Help!

Ok so I've installed every mod one by one to test what works and what doesnt.

Blizzy's Achievements, KlockheedMartian (something about gimbal control?) and Chatterer seem to be incompatible, insta-crash.

Warp, KSO, the new Mars style Habitat mod, BoulderCo, PlanetFactory,SDHI cause a crash, but that seems to be from overloading the memory buffer...? I can't tell.

SmokeScreen also causes a crash ... I can't even remember what that is. It is just a dll.

EDIT: The following statements are based on heresay, take them with a grain of salt.

I think that KSP.x86_64 isn't really 64bit. It links to the 64bit libraries on your machine, but all the unity3d stuff itself is 32bit still.

The unity editor itself is only going to be 64bit in unity 5, which isn't even out yet. I have no idea whether that translates to the unity runtime as well, but we might all have to wait for it to come out, for squad to buy it, and then upgrade the game to use it.

Edited by Unit327
jumping to conclusions

fig0451, did you try the memory fix from the opening post? Though I have heard that others have found their KSP also only using 2gigs, no idea why yet.

thomad16, we can help you, don't fall to the dark side :D

Fig, are you running the game on steam?

Edit (Wanted to add more without posting again):

This is my first time using Linux, and the game was giving me lots of trouble, plus the interface and how to install things within Linux were giving me a hard time.

The crash you're having, I also had but it was due to the segfaults thing. If you apply Voidi's Script , you shouldn't have the starting up problems anymore.

But then after a while, I was messing with too many things and I might've corrupted something, so I reinstalled the game and ran the script again. Game works fine, I have about 60 something mods loaded without ATM loaded (Although I probably should use it, i dunno).

Another thing you mentioned, you said you were using an Nvidia card, you really should apply this (again if you're using Steam)

LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command%_64

To the Launch options for Kerbal. It gave me a huge performance boost for my GTX 760.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 to play Kerbal and when I reinstalled, those were the only two things I did to my game and it worked like a charm.

The newest drivers for Nvidia also seem to be a little more reliable than the previous versions. One problem I had, when using the Xswat libraries to update my drivers, I kept getting a black screen. I found out that they automatically recommend a file called Bumblebee to help cards running Optimus, which mostly for laptops with two videocards. I had to purge that file before my drivers worked.

Edited by Undeadbanana

Fig, are you running the game on steam?

Edit (Wanted to add more without posting again):

This is my first time using Linux, and the game was giving me lots of trouble, plus the interface and how to install things within Linux were giving me a hard time.

The crash you're having, I also had but it was due to the segfaults thing. If you apply Voidi's Script , you shouldn't have the starting up problems anymore.

But then after a while, I was messing with too many things and I might've corrupted something, so I reinstalled the game and ran the script again. Game works fine, I have about 60 something mods loaded without ATM loaded (Although I probably should use it, i dunno).

Another thing you mentioned, you said you were using an Nvidia card, you really should apply this (again if you're using Steam)

LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command%_64

To the Launch options for Kerbal. It gave me a huge performance boost for my GTX 760.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 to play Kerbal and when I reinstalled, those were the only two things I did to my game and it worked like a charm.

The newest drivers for Nvidia also seem to be a little more reliable than the previous versions. One problem I had, when using the Xswat libraries to update my drivers, I kept getting a black screen. I found out that they automatically recommend a file called Bumblebee to help cards running Optimus, which mostly for laptops with two videocards. I had to purge that file before my drivers worked.

WOW!!!

That that really made a difference! I'm running 14.04 LTS on an Acer c720 chromebook (so celeron with intel HD graphics)

When I ran the demo I had to use the command 64 and it ran fine.

I bought the game after the asteroid missions came out on steam

The game has been crashing after a single mission. After putting that command into steam I ran a solid hour or 2 and did a bunch of missions...