The Linux compatibility thread!

so sorry man but im getting error's from that I cloned it ran the script pointed it to my ksp folder then got these error's

./ksp_installer /root/KSP_linux/

This seems to be not a vanilla KSP executable

ln: failed to create symbolic link `/root/.local/share/applications/ksp.desktop': File exists

Kerbal Space Program installation in '/root/KSP_linux' finished.

really appreciate the help man kerbal is the only game in the world I wana play wouldnt waste my time doing this for anything else :)

If I have to reinstall window's and dual booth just to get my kerbal on il do it but my heart will be sore having window's lurking around on my computer ha :D

its ext4 would it be possible for me to get this working in wine it has a windows exacutable in the folder but when I click it I get

Unable to load mono library from "Z:/root/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/mono.dll" (error = 126).

I tried putting the mono.dll from my old windows one in the folder that seems to work but then wine says

Could not preload global game manager #0

Should I download the one for windows and run it in wine I have a old version for wine and it wont update on linux I cant afford to download things all the time I have a 3g dongle and have to pay for the data I use and its expensive

This was a clean copy of kerbal when I started on the forum today

How can I solve wine not finding the game manager?

or is there anyway to stop kerbal from crashing on linux it runs fine till I enter back into earth I have it on all the lowest settings

Just going to get the windows version thanks for the help anyway

Edited by jamie92

There's a lot of different hardware out there and Linux distributions differ, unfortunately issues occur and it's not guaranteed that KSP will work on everyone's machine.

Look for the player.log, it may hold more info on this.

@jamie92

so sorry man but im getting error's from that I cloned it ran the script pointed it to my ksp folder then got these error's

./ksp_installer /root/KSP_linux/

This seems to be not a vanilla KSP executable

ln: failed to create symbolic link `/root/.local/share/applications/ksp.desktop': File exists

Kerbal Space Program installation in '/root/KSP_linux' finished.

don't know if this is related to your problems, but why are placing ksp into root's home? execute you it with root permissions?

@jamie92

don't know if this is related to your problems, but why are placing ksp into root's home? execute you it with root permissions?

Yes I am running as root that's why its in the root directory. Got it to work anyway thanks but still crashed after

PS: If you are about to give me a speech about why I shouldnt run as root you obviously need to read this http://www.garyshood.com/root/

@sal_vager

I am just going to use the windows version in wine seen as it works perfect maybe some day the linux version will get the attention it needs I shouldn't have to putLC_ALL=C infront of the command all the time and I know I could write a bash script for it but I should be able to execute it without any hassle just like the windows version I used ksp on windows 7 and 8 no problems and had loads of mods.

On linux its a fresh copy of ksp straight from the site with no mods installed and crash's all the time

I know my hardware is capable of playing it on low detail windows proved that!!!

I also put mono.dll in the ksp linux folder like I said in a previous post now it wants some game manager thing you didnt answer that question you just said mono needs to be installed which I did and it stoped looking for mono it wants a game manager file now

Whats the game manager thing it wants? how can I provide it??

I downloaded the windows version and it worked straight out of the box in wine but wont update because of the stupid OS license thing you guys have.. Why would you even do such a thing??????????

Edited by jamie92

I would much rather have the native linux one working or at least the wine executable that comes with the linux folder because that one can update and my mouse wont work properly in the windows one on wine whyyyy is this such a nightmare man I just wana go the moon and come back sooooooo bad (On linux):(

jamie92, sorry to say but the LC_ALL=C thing is a Unity bug, our only fix is to use that command to set KSP to use posix compatible mode, also KSP on Linux should work and does for many people, though it's only really officially supported on Ubuntu 12.04 and higher.

The Windows version will run fine in Wine, minus joystick control and with iffy shadows, but it'll run.

Your hardware is using different drivers on Linux compared to Windows, so there will be differences, as for Mono, when Wine says it needs to install Mono, let it.

PS: If you are about to give me a speech about why I shouldnt run as root you obviously need to read this http://www.garyshood.com/root/

Don't know if the linked article is meant ironic or not, or if you understand it as serious or not.

Anywhay, despite running KSP as root might be not problematic in terms of security, it might be a problem to run it well.

If you start from inside a virtual terminal in a X session, several Environment things are set up. But not necessary for you root account.

The posted fix for KSP x86_64 works perfectly on Debian Testing X86_64 with Nvidia and 0.23.5

And it's awesome and cool that you guys support linux!

Un abrazo cabrones!

Arch linux kernal 3.14.1-1

Playing the game for the first few minutes is lag free but it gets worse and worse during gameplay. I tried env LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 but it does not seem to help much. Lag is more choppy but with bigger craft the game just gives constant lag.

i7 4700k 2.6 @ 3.6 turbo

nVidia 765m discreet card (bumblbee as bridge)

16GB DDR3

jamie, I'm pretty sure the KSP.exe included with the Linux build isn't going to work as it's missing a few Windows specific files from the KSP folder, you'll need the actual Windows KSP download.

Niri, not sure on that one, can you try the localisation fix instead first?