The Linux compatibility thread!

According to the changelog the re-entry effects shader was fixed for Linux.

It may not crash any longer on re-entry effects but they do not work like before. Now all I get is a red glow around the parts instead of the actual dynamic flames that used to appear :(

First: Thanks for the Linux-Version but is it me or does it always have the stranges bugs?

I encountered some strange problems in (KSP 0.24 / x86_64 / Xubuntu 14.04):

- I can not load saves (even new ones do not appear again)

- I do not see the green connection nodes in VAB

and most strange

- If I take on one contract it disapears and I can take it on again (and I even get the funds)...

Any ideas?

Hi sal_vager,

thank you very much for the support - that did the trick. Everything looks good now (I did not fly but only looked if my problems were gone - so maybe I'll be back later).

The strange thing: I even tried to chmod 755 every file in every subfolder (I already had the feeling that it could be a permission problem). Can you tell me were the difference to "LC_ALL=C" is?

Can anyone tell me what this stuff means? KSP keeps crashing in the VAB, without warning.

I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 920 Processor with Radeon HD 6570 on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/sky/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/sky/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

Native stacktrace:

/media/sky/storage/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/x86/libmono.so(+0x8b470) [0xf5a39470]
/media/sky/storage/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/x86/libmono.so(+0x2133c) [0xf59cf33c]
[0xf7738410]

Debug info from gdb:

Could not attach to process. If your uid matches the uid of the target
process, check the setting of /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope, or try
again as the root user. For more details, see /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
ptrace: Operation not permitted.
No threads.

=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
=================================================================

Happened again... I noticed something new at the bottom of the log this time, I think this is the problem but don't know what it means:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at EditorLogic.CheckSymPartsAttach (. oAttach) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EditorLogic.UpdatePartMode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EditorLogic.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

If MikeAeronautLZ's signature from here (01 00 00 00 b8 01 00 00 00 c3 41 56 41 55 49) holds up, the new offsets are 0099F587 and 0099F58C.

Can someone who actually knows what he/she is doing double check that?

My earlier statement about the offsets not being required may have been incorrect. I have added more mods and I am getting into trouble with available texture memory issues. I don't know what I am doing :confused:, but I am trying those offsets anyway.

Edited by Kaa253
a bit later in the day and I am not convinced at all

dyson, you can make a shell script to start KSP or add that line to the Steam launch options, more info here.

Kulko, please post your full KSP.log amd player.log to a paste site for us, thanks.

Kaa253, don't forget to back up the file, and let us know if it works :)

I cannot run KSP.x64_64 at all. It simply crashes before being able to even write a log file and running it from the console isn't working either...

I even did the offset thingamabob, but no dice there either...

warringer@GlaDOS:~/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program$ LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64Set current directory to /home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program
Found path: /home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'

warringer@GlaDOS:~/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program$ echo "0099F587: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
warringer@GlaDOS:~/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program$ echo "0099F58C: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

warringer@GlaDOS:~/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program$ LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64
Set current directory to /home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program
Found path: /home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/warringer/.steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'

I'm on Debian Testing, with a custom 3.14.4 kernel and NVidia 340.17 propriery drivers. AMD FX-4100 mainboard with 8GB RAM and a GTX 650 Ti.

32 bit works normal though...

My own problem is now solved, I just needed to update my NVidia driver to 340.24... >_>

Question I always meant to ask.. Is there a way to force KSP to start on your primary monitor? KSP is one of those games that ignores that setting

Run it full screen works well enough for me... >_>

My own problem is now solved, I just needed to update my NVidia driver to 340.24... >_>

Run it full screen works well enough for me... >_>

Doesn't work for me. Running Mint 17 w/ Nvidas 331 updates binaries

My monitor arrangement.

LCygPn2.png

Top is a 40in LED via HDMI

Bottom two 23in via DVI

As you can see the bottom left is set as primary.. Upon running KSP (in fullscreen) it is displayed on the top monitor.

If I disable the top monitor and run it, it will display on the bottom left, but not because it's actually working right.. Just coincidence

If I set the bottom right one at primary while still keeping the top monitor disabled it will still run fullscreen on the bottom left.

Now.. Another game say like. LIMBO from Steam.. It displays on whatever monitor I set as the primary as it should.. KSP completely ignores that setting.

Edited by styckx

No dice... I figured there probably wasn't a way to do it.. KSP isn't the only game that runs under Linux that ignores the primary monitor setting in multi monitor configurations.. Figured it didn't hurt to ask though. As much as primarily use Windows I keep coming back to Linux for KSP.. The 64bit Unity client for it is so much more in line with its 32bit counterpart.

Though I can't test this (one monitor here) I have heard that KSP will use the correct monitor in Windowed mode, you can try -popupwindow to get a borderless window in this case.

No dice.. I tried -popupwindow with fullscreen still enabled in the settings.. Loaded on the wrong monitor like normal.. Disabled fullscreen and the game loaded only on one half of the wrong monitor. (half the monitor was kerbal, other half my wallpaper)

Even in normal (no command line) windowed mode it ALWAYS opens on the wrong monitor.. Even if I drag the window to the one I want and close it.. Soon as I re-open it.. Back to the wrong monitor.

Not sweating it. Linux multi-monitor support has always been a back burner priority over the years. It's still sketchy but compared to what it USED to be like not long ago it's actually pleasant to use despite the downsides.

Okay, what about running a script just after KSP starts that moves the KSP window to where you want it? It could be called from the Steam launch options or be a part of a KSP startup script.

Wouldn't even know where to begin to write a script like that. This isn't a deal breaking thing for me, like I said just something I always meant to ask about. I have two ways to play it on the monitor I want.. Both of which take little to no time. I'm sure somewhere in future development this will be taken care of natively.

I was getting a crash occasionally on load as it was loading company flags. Using those new offsets, no crashes since. So I can confirm that they seem to be still needed, and those offsets worked beautifully for me.

Just for reference, in case this saves a bit of time for someone, this is the commands I ran (in the same directory as the binary):

echo "0099f587: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
echo "0099f58c: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

Do make a backup of the executable first, of course.

I wonder when they will finally release a 64bit Linux version of Unity that doesn't require the offsets? The Windows 64bit version is perfectly fine using more than 4GB of RAM out of the box (I've had it up to 5GB+)... Yet the Linux version.. Nope.. Still requires offsets...

Edited by styckx

Okay, technically we're hacking the Unity binary and that's a no-no, though the Unity devs were okay with the old mouse fix that epinull found and have since incorporated it into Unity themselves.

Squad could use these offsets, and I'm hoping they make it into 0.25 but really we need to be pushing Unity to fix their 64bit binaries, not just for us but for all Unity3D devs and Linux gamers :)

dyson, you can make a shell script to start KSP or add that line to the Steam launch options, more info here.

Kulko, please post your full KSP.log amd player.log to a paste site for us, thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqr7uvne35lkcky/Player.log

EDIT: Here it is. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pogrsh8atufbrvv/KSP.log

The crashes seem to happen when I transition to or from the VAB, but sometimes they happen completely randomly in flight

Edited by Kulko

Wouldn't even know where to begin to write a script like that. This isn't a deal breaking thing for me, like I said just something I always meant to ask about. I have two ways to play it on the monitor I want.. Both of which take little to no time. I'm sure somewhere in future development this will be taken care of natively.

What desktop environment are you running? With KDE, you move the window where you want it, click the window menu in the corner, choose Application Settings, then choose for it to remember the position forever. You can also choose to disable borders and titlebar too.