The Linux compatibility thread!

This may not be a Linux-specific issue, but I noticed that the game is using 80-99% of one CPU core and almost none of the other.

The most common cause of this is lack of threading, or excessive thread locking. It's common not to enable multi-threading on a project in alpha stage, because routine might not be thread safe. However, I just want to make sure it's listed as something that needs to be done before the 1.0 release.

Knight-Killer, have you tried the keyboard controls? They are available on the Wiki. A lot of the GUI controls don't work yet. I know, it's annoying.

Currently, only landing gear, lights, breaks, abort and the right-click menus work with the GUI controls. Throttle, pitch, yaw, roll, staging, translate, etc need to use the keyboard or controller.

The right click menus allow most of the things you can do with the staging controls, and more. My favorite things I can do with them is shutdown my engines, jettison my capsule and deploy it's chute during a disastrously failed launch in order to save my poor crew. (It makes failure more fun if you try to have your crew survive the disaster.)

Knight-Killer, have you tried the keyboard controls?

Like i said:

the interior view works but there are no controls. also i can't control the vehicle the timer stands at 0 and doesn't advance.

i can't time accelerate i can only go to the map take screenshots and exit.

I would also like to add that when you launch a craft in the windows version, you are also somewhere in space a few of seconds and you then get teleported to the launchpad. It seems that under linux this initialization phase fails for some reason.

KnightKiller, there is a known bug with the ship construction tutorial, the editor works fine everywhere else though, and as Ruedii says you need the keyboard controls as the buttons in the cockpits are just for show except for the draggable throttle.

Your graphics adapter is detected as being from SGI, Unity3D is only really compatible with Nvidia, AMD and Intel cards, so if you have one of these you may want to check your drivers, Unity on;y really works well with the proprietary drivers, not the open source ones.

As for the two executables, the 64bit version should be more tolerant of large numbers of addons, but you won't see a speed increase.

KSP does work on 12.10, but we need to figure out why it is not working for you, you might be subject to the localisation issue, and should try starting KSP with "LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86", and also deleting your settings.cfg

Ruedii, Unity does support a basic level of multithreading but not on processes such as the physics, which KSP uses a lot, so that's why one core is being used nearly exclusively, it's not something Squad have set and we have to wait for Unity to add it before it becomes available to Squad.

Your graphics adapter is detected as being from SGI, Unity3D is only really compatible with Nvidia, AMD and Intel cards, so if you have one of these you may want to check your drivers, Unity on;y really works well with the proprietary drivers, not the open source ones.

Hate to disagree with you sal, but the SGI vendor string doesn't actually mean it's an SGI card. But I think it does pretty much guarantee that you're using the X.org drivers, rather than the vendor's proprietary ones. The box I regularly play Kerbal on has a very old Radeon card, I'm using the X.org driver, and have the same glx vendor and version details.

KnightKiller, what video card are you using? And could you include your X server's startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) so we can make sure you're using the appropriate driver?

Don't worry about that stibbons, I'm fairly sure you can't even fit an SGI card in an Acer Laptop, not without some serious case modifications at least :D

But yeah, it's indicative of a driver issue, most likely Knight has an Intel card, and while good for videos and spreadsheets they are not the best for gaming nor for KSP.

KnightKiller, what video card are you using? And could you include your X server's startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) so we can make sure you're using the appropriate driver?

This is listed in the glxinfo dump:

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

So yes, this is an intel integrated sandybridge using the open-source mesa drivers.

I have run ksp with no problems on the same mesa version with a sandybridge (desktop, though), so I would lean towards this being a localisation problem.

I believe that the open-source drivers use the 'generic' glx module, which I believe was initially written by SGI many years ago, so that should be expected when using the open-source drivers.

The line:

direct rendering: Yes

implies that the opengl driver seems to be setup correctly with the expected glx module, so there shouldn't be any problems with half-installed drivers breaking everything.

But yeah, it's indicative of a driver issue, most likely Knight has an Intel card, and while good for videos and spreadsheets they are not the best for gaming nor for KSP.

it's called Intel HD sandybridge. It's no graphic card at all it's integrated into the CPU. Also other games work fine like Team Fortress 2 via steam and The Critter chronicles which uses the ogre engine. i haven't tried running KSP via wine yet but that's next on the list for the coming weekend.

Since rendering works fine i don't think it's an issue with the graphics driver or the opengl libaries.

Yeah, Team fortress isn't KSP though, horses for courses and all that, and yeah we guessed it might be an Intel and in integrated graphics adapter is still described as a "card" even though it isn't one :)

Did you try LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86 ? KSp on Linux is very sensitive to the system language, that command will force KSP to start using the Posix standard.

KSP via Wine is an option and in fact is faster, the only issues you are likely to encounter are a loss of good shadows and no joystick support of any kind, oh and no text, you will need the fonts from the opening post :)

Same problem of KnightKiller here. I'm using ubuntu 13.04 with the intel HD4000 GPU and the steam version of the game.

Solved it by adding the microsoft fonts pack

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

And this command (from the first post) inside steam's launch options

LC_ALL=C %command%_64

Still some proglem with moving the camera around, it's not fluid at all, but it's usable.

Great game by the way, keep up the good work :)

Frollus, you can fix the camera by deleting the settings.cfg :)

The MSttfcorefonts should fix the issue of missing fonts in the game on Linux, Unity defaults to using Arial but not all distro's have that installed.

If the corefonts fail, you can find the Arial font in the opening post of this thread :)

Hi all !

I'm having an issue with shadows (cast ones), they don't appear, no matter what graphical option I change. It's the case in 32 or 64bits, on an intel HD4000 (Ivy Bridge) GPU. The rest works flawlessly.

Has anyone ran into this issue as well ?

Hi ravachol,

For some reason, unity explicitly detects the linux intel graphics driver and disables shadows on it. It states in Player.log:

"GL: disabling shadows on Intel 9xx (buggy)"

I don't know if this is still a valid problem on the latest drivers, but it appears to be intentional.

Hello!

I am trying to launch KSP 0.18.3 DEMO on Ubuntu 12.04 russian. Without LC_ALL=C there is a black screen and yellow progress bar with no progress. When i enter

LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64

or

LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86

i get the same furry earth as Ezzran does. However, i have administrative rights and, moreover, running game as root gives the same effect.

Windows version does not work at all.

root@wormball-desktop:~# uname -a

Linux wormball-desktop 3.2.0-32-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:33:09 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

/root/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program\ Demo/Player.log http://pastebin.com/ZWvQf5qV

/home/wormball/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program\ Demo/Player.log http://pastebin.com/XmBh02eu

output_log.txt under wine http://pastebin.com/iDrgKUuS

OpenGL:

Version: OpenGL 2.1 [2.1.2 NVIDIA 295.40]

Renderer: GeForce GT 240/PCIe/SSE2

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

VRAM: 0 MB

Note the VRAM, it's at zero, I think that's why you are having issues and you will need to check your drivers, KSP prefers the proprietary drivers over the open source ones :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that tutorial is broken and is not needed to progress in the game, in fact that tutorial is pretty bad and doesn't really teach you how to build a decent craft.

It misses out on decouplers, parachutes, everything really.

Try the sandbox mode, if you still have this issue there, then you have a problem and you should try deleting your settings.cfg then starting KSP with LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86 :)

Try the sandbox mode, if you still have this issue there, then you have a problem and you should try deleting your settings.cfg then starting KSP with LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86 :)

The problem occurs also in the sandbox BUT starting KSP with LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86 solved it! Even in the tutorial! :0.0: