The Linux compatibility thread!

So yesterday i installed KSP on my ARCH Linux machine. Everything runs pretty fine with the LC_ALL=C trick. Strangely when i start the 64 bit version it runs much better then in 32bit mode. I thought 64bit is experimental and it does more problems or is this not the case anymore?

KSP 64bit is actually pretty stable, but yes it's still "experimental" as far as Unity are concerned, it just happens to work for Linux but not Windows or Mac yet.

It'll still crash for some people, but if it works for you then great :)

jamie92, it's likely the re-entry heat effect, it does not work on some Intel cards and needs to be disabled in the settings screen.

I think I'm running into this problem, but I can't figure out what the setting is called. Do you know the name?

Has anyone managed to get this to run in Linux Mint? I installed Linux Mint 17 just a few days ago, used the driver manager to turn on the Nvidia Drivers, and installed Steam and KSP and tried to run it. What I see is a window attempt to open and immediately close/crash again. I never actually get into the game at all. Any ideas? I did try to force the 64 bit version in Steam as well as leaving the 32 bit version on, neither worked. I also tried the LC_ALL=C trick, that didn't help either.

Edited by Alshain

Has anyone managed to get this to run in Linux Mint? I installed Linux Mint 17 just a few days ago, used the driver manager to turn on the Nvidia Drivers, and installed Steam and KSP and tried to run it. What I see is a window attempt to open and immediately close/crash again. I never actually get into the game at all. Any ideas? I did try to force the 64 bit version in Steam as well as leaving the 32 bit version on, neither worked. I also tried the LC_ALL=C trick, that didn't help either.

I am running it in Mint 16 and have no such problems, did u installed any mods? Also the logfile will be helpful.

I think I'm running into this problem, but I can't figure out what the setting is called. Do you know the name?

I think it is the aerodynamic fx quality setting, try setting it to low.

I am running it in Mint 16 and have no such problems, did u installed any mods? Also the logfile will be helpful.

I will get the log for you later today, no... no mods yet. However, I had considered it may be my 8800GT that I am using for a dedicated PhysX adapter in Windows causing a problem. Or maybe the fact I have 2 screens. I'll try without those later as well.

Anyone on Linux using Texture Replacer with their installation of KSP? I keep crashing on the load screen with Texture Replacer (I remove it and it loads no problem). I was just curious if anyone else has run across this incompatibility and if they have a solution for it.

Hello all,

Quick question. I just installed Linux today in order to gain the ability to use KSP in 64bit. Being overwhelmed with everything I thought I would post here.

Few key points to note: I haven't installed a video driver yet, everything seems to work fine as is. KSP will launch both in the x86 and X86_64 and play with no problems so far.

Is there anything I need to do to make KSP access all my ram (it never seemed to go above 3gb according to the system monitor). I did add the line "LC_ALL=C %command%_64" to the launch options in steam.

Note: main reason for this is so I can play in the Realism overhaul with textures not being at 1/4 resolution.

Thanks in advance!

Reign

Hello all,

Quick question. I just installed Linux today in order to gain the ability to use KSP in 64bit. Being overwhelmed with everything I thought I would post here.

Few key points to note: I haven't installed a video driver yet, everything seems to work fine as is. KSP will launch both in the x86 and X86_64 and play with no problems so far.

Is there anything I need to do to make KSP access all my ram (it never seemed to go above 3gb according to the system monitor). I did add the line "LC_ALL=C %command%_64" to the launch options in steam.

Note: main reason for this is so I can play in the Realism overhaul with textures not being at 1/4 resolution.

Thanks in advance!

Reign

It probably never went above 3GB of RAM because it never needed more than 3GB. As long as you're running the 64 bit version, the 3.5GB limit gets lifted. And the system monitor only reports the RAM being used at the current moment, not the maximum amount of RAM the game can take up. To test it, I'd launch the 64 bit version of the game with tons of mods installed and see if it crashes. If it doesn't and it's using more than 4GB of RAM, you know it's working.

Beduino, it may be another issue with Linux messing up , and .

Will it work for you if you start KSP with LC_ALL=C ?

Ok took me a long time.. but im back after messing up my ubuntu installation when 14.04 came along.

Im running ubuntu 14.04 x64 with 4GB RAM + 2GB swap + nvidia drivers and ksp 64 via steam with LC_ALL=C %command%_64.

Still same problems with the claw after opening a save from the windows version.. some of them work.. some of them are just floating. It seems its possible to redock though.

KSP runs much smoother and there's more ram available with the mods I have installed. I think i might start a new save.

Edited by Beduino

You might have to scrap some of those Windows saves :/

The thing is, they still work just fine in windows.

Actually, if I use the linux version to redock one of these floating docked claws and then open it up in windows it will show up docked half way inside the asteroid.

So it's either a bug with the claw or with the asteroid size.

Well starting a brand new save in linux :)

Installed Debian Jessie(testing) 64 bit yesterday, I'd tried Dual booted ubuntu before, yesterday I decided to go all the way. GNOME3 desktop, default drivers (Sandy Bridge HD 3000).

I can confirm I am getting better frames here than I ever had on windows. Had a small bug when I reverted to SPH and it crashed, but haven't been able to recreate it and it was on the 32 bit executable.

Hmmm, might be texture replacer causing this issue...

[LOG 16:52:12.689] [ModuleManager] Exception while checking needs : BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/BoulderCo/ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

And the log just ends here...

[LOG 16:53:08.213] [TR.Loader] Generated mipmaps for TextureReplacer/Default/snowydwarfplanet00 [4096x2048 DXT5 -> RGBA32]

[LOG 16:53:08.357] Load(Texture): TextureReplacer/Default/Squad/FX/rocketplume2

I'm not very familiar with that addon but doesn't it use an unusual image file type? Maybe Linux is having trouble with that.

Also Tom1499, it's good to hear things are working well for you :)

Umm, maybe thats a stupid question, but how would I put it into steam to use two command line options? The LC=ALL C and LD Preload for example. Ive tried to separate them with ; but then the second one seems to be not working...

I need the LC all c, because without i dont have the green connectors in VAB and cant put anything together, but id like to have a bit of a boost which possibly i could get by using the LD preload option.

Regards

Edited by Haifi

Okay, yes. Maybe i was a bit vague there. I know how to put ONE option into steam, but how to put TWO or more there especially for ksp under ubuntu x64? :D

One option is running fine, but it seems i cant get it to work with two.

Regards

Edited by Haifi

@Haifi

In the end it IS one command.

LC=C and LC_PRELOAD are Enviroment variables that set for this particular command execution, you can set as many variable as you like.

I think paste this in front 'LC_ALL=C LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1' of executable in your steam settings would work.