Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

After breathing a sigh of relief with the completion of my grand tour mission, I have decided not to undertake anything massive with 0.24 on the horizon. However, there is a design I conjured up and I really wanted to see it fly, so here; the Ulysses class cruiser:

dg9f9vc.png

X5Al6jZ.png

PHT5Oey.png

OeKJA98.png

I will very likely be rebuilding this ship in 0.24, although it'll have to wait as I am going to be playing career this time round. This has served as a useful test flight, and all signs are pointing me to one thing; MOAR STRUTS. It's a bit more wobbly than I'd like, but that's easily fixed. At least she got to spread her wings :)

After breathing a sigh of relief with the completion of my grand tour mission, I have decided not to undertake anything massive with 0.24 on the horizon. However, there is a design I conjured up and I really wanted to see it fly, so here; the Ulysses class cruiser:

--- images ---

I will very likely be rebuilding this ship in 0.24, although it'll have to wait as I am going to be playing career this time round. This has served as a useful test flight, and all signs are pointing me to one thing; MOAR STRUTS. It's a bit more wobbly than I'd like, but that's easily fixed. At least she got to spread her wings :)

Nice ship, I see you're using Leucomes Engines, good to see people still using this Engine. :)

Nice ship, I see you're using Leucomes Engines, good to see people still using this Engine. :)

Yes, the Z-Pinch is a good engine, although I will admit that those aren't quite the Leucome engines. I call them FTIRs; Fusion Thermal Ion Rockets. Effectively a cross between nuclear thermal rockets and ion thrusters, they would work by superheating hydrogen or helium propellant as it flows over radiators from the fusion core, forming an extremely hot plasma that is then accelerated via a linear accelerator. Upon reaching the expansion nozzle, the propellant expands hugely due to the heat, and in combination with the acceleration from the linac, creates thrust.

I don't think they'd be the most powerful rockets ever, but I think they'd be very efficient, albeit power hungry. Therefore, the engines I made have double the ISP of the 3m Leucome rocket (3200s compared to 1800s), 23% of the thrust (450KN compared to 1950KN), and require a lot of electricity to run. Other changes include resizing it from 3 metres to 2.5 metres and changing the exhaust from the standard stock plume to the new plume from the liquid booster rockets.

The feasibility of such a rocket in real life remains questionable to myself, but I've based it on real science, as I so often do with anything I come up with, so I'd guess it's possible. I suppose the nearest equivalent is VASIMR.

And to keep the thread on track, a picture from the grand tour, with Enterprise, a ship that uses a standard Z-pinch rocket and not my FTIRs:

BgFxGLP.png

Oh, I also like your station, there:

Edited by RogueMason

The Vall Henge is a mysterious place.

hKaBEe1.png

Billy Bobmun searches for signs of the beings that created this structure.

v5FAETJ.png

It seems that the smallest pyramid has an anti gravity device inside.

m4BXBvw.png

Spot the kerbal!

Ez9VxE5.png

screenshot234.jpg

Mun rover

screenshot239.jpg

Showing off a fancy feature- the rover-jack system. When I popped the front tires going over some sweet jumps, this raises the whole rover up off the ground. I then fix the tires without it jumping in the low gravity, lower it back down, and continue going over sweet jumps. repeat.

screenshot128.jpg

I wasn't sure this ship would survive. aerobraking at Jool with deadly reentry, while the moon landers were only attached with docking ports. It worked, I didn't lose anything. Also, that's one of my favorite science descriptions.

Laythe lander coming in hot:

screenshot165.jpg

another one:

screenshot181.jpg

Mission to Gilly:

screenshot43.jpg

Older Jool mission ship- no landers, just orbital science:

screenshot74.jpg

Orbital refuelling station and 2 interplanetary ships:

screenshot117.jpg

Next 3 photos go together:

screenshot171.jpg

Weeeeeeee!

screenshot180.jpg

Uh oh........

screenshot199.jpg

Yep, it's on fire, this is definitely not good.

how did you enclose your rover in that nice box? did you make it with procedural fairings ?

Yeah, it's the 'Interstage Adapter' part that you can shove in a stack and shape at will. Really useful.