Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

Agh, I really want that pack! Stop taunting us and release it already! :sticktongue:

(It's ok, I can wait, I'm a patient man :))

Also, damn nice Endurance-esque ship you have there. I don't suppose you have more shots of it?

-----

Anyway, because I haven't really posted here lately (0.25 has been screwing me over big time and I'm not sure why, even after checking things, but that's not a matter for this thread), I thought I'd share some slightly older shots:

1t0ekHD.png

hOyJ0Cc.png

Jeb returns from Laythe during my 0.23.5 grand tour mission.

jyVuInG.png

IEV Enterprise over Jool, preparing for her next manoeuvre.

Finally, just a couple more recent ones, being 2 stations I've shown off way too much around here :P

amVpyuo.png

bexYbKJ.png

Agh, I really want that pack! Stop taunting us and release it already! :sticktongue:

(It's ok, I can wait, I'm a patient man :))

Also, damn nice Endurance-esque ship you have there. I don't suppose you have more shots of it?

-----

Anyway, because I haven't really posted here lately (0.25 has been screwing me over big time and I'm not sure why, even after checking things, but that's not a matter for this thread), I thought I'd share some slightly older shots:

http://i.imgur.com/1t0ekHD.png

http://i.imgur.com/hOyJ0Cc.png

Jeb returns from Laythe during my 0.23.5 grand tour mission.

http://i.imgur.com/jyVuInG.png

IEV Enterprise over Jool, preparing for her next manoeuvre.

Finally, just a couple more recent ones, being 2 stations I've shown off way too much around here :P

http://i.imgur.com/amVpyuo.png

http://i.imgur.com/bexYbKJ.png

That I do!

1DQktT6.png

wkpvFpZ.jpg

uUTI0kb.jpg

I like the look of that Mun station btw.

you know you overbuilt your rocket when...

When the successor to your awesome heavy lifter is just said lifter with two more of its first stage slapped on the side? Yeah that was my lazy solution to over doubling the payload.

1EZRuFL.png

Alright, so I wanted to make a ship similar in style to the Ranger from Interstellar... I think I'm there, mostly:

6eiKH2v.png

At the moment, it is just called 'Ranger', and it's likely to see some very minor changes at some point.

pTWF2jV.png

This unmanned prototype got into orbit first try with very little hassle.

Mgt2EHT.png

Obligatory sunrise shot.

NWIDDrA.png

The updated variant, also tested unmanned, has RCS thrusters and some refined centre-of-lift properties that will hopefully improve the vehicle further. I've also considered ion propulsion, though I'm not sure where I'd put anything else at the moment. We'll just have to see.

I should note, I'm not trying to emulate the visual style of the Ranger, but more the functionality; a small, agile SSTO.

Edited by RogueMason

That's pretty cool. Actually, watching Interstellar I couldn't help but be reminded of the SP+ parts. Were you able to return it to the surface safely?

P.S. You should totally attach that thing to a station and send it to Laythe.

That's pretty cool. Actually, watching Interstellar I couldn't help but be reminded of the SP+ parts. Were you able to return it to the surface safely?

P.S. You should totally attach that thing to a station and send it to Laythe.

Got down to the ground in one piece, but it did need those centre-of-lift adjustments as it was trying to nose up. I'll give it another whirl in a bit to see how it's flying now, but it should be fine.

Also, I am developing an Endurance-esque ship of my own (obviously not an exact copy). I won't be going straight to Laythe or anything, but yeah, it's going to be interesting to get it all proportioned correctly. We'll just see how that goes too, I guess :P

Economy Lifter:

this little multistage rocket utilizes the stock turbojet engines (6 of them and 6 intakes on 1:2 adapters) on 3 separate fuel tanks that are detached manually at around 20,000 meters. Stage 2 is an actual dual bell Vespa rocket engine from KW-Rocketry. Your payload (either a probe or small capsule with or without lander) is protected withing the farrings on top which are ditched around 40,000 meters.

This is the same rocket I use to launch and insert my polar orbiting type GPS birds and I have completed a mission to the Mun with this design. It was very close on fuel running out but I made it there and back on fumes.

I decided to build this as part of my "envelope pushing mission" to get things into orbit by being efficient.

When to ditch the turbojets is a thing you have to practice with, too soon and you may not have enough velocity and fuel to get you up. Ditch too late and they start flaming out and put your whole rocket out of control and even damage your rocket in the process..

Important to note that you should throttle the jet all the way back before staging them and firing your main engine.

On the pad. Go for launch!

JR-1_zpscd5ba39b.png

Liftoff! Bill looking a little worried..

JR-2_zpscfe2702e.png

Staging the farings and Bill is on his way to space!

JR-3_zps91dacf37.png

A quick trip to Mun via a Cygnus II OTV to complete a contract; I've been thrown back to (almost) basics with my original 0.24 save file not working any more, so while I've done a bit of config file trickery, I've still got some stuff to sort out.

MuZ48HH.png

The main issue with the save file problem is that I've had to rebuild my stations and replace a few probes/satellites. Not all that much work, really. I just finished rebuilding Skywatch Station, and this is a shot I got whilst sending up a couple of folks:

wJElLfp.png

That Ranger I've made is pretty damn good at what it does :)

Next up on the reconstruction hit list, my Mun station...