Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

So I needed to launch some probes, and I decided to have a little fun and try something new. I made a Falcon 9 style rocket and land back at KSC. Before this I had boosted a first stage all the way to orbit and then came back around to KSC, but this time I launched straight up and came straight back down. The only requirement is that the orbit insertion stage has over 2 Km/s of delta-V (~0 m/s to orbital velocity burn) and has enough TwR to A: Not fall back to Kerbin, and B: Get to orbit before the first stage crashes.

Liftoff!

6oxmYjK.png

To orbit! The first stage uses Mechjeb's landing guidance to tell me where the rocket will land (after the atmosphere and the planet's rotation messes with the trajectory).

L2kawUS.png

Low on fuel...

BC0TpkQ.png

Ka-BOOM! Not enough for even the best suicide burn. Also I may have wasted fuel trying to avoid the VAB... (20 tons would probably collapse the entire building)

4bxLo90.png

Close Enough!

GcyZy5w.jpg

So, I was testing the armor on a Reed IIIC today and i got a little more than I bargainedfor...

h92zvh4.jpg

I shot the ship, mimimal damage, and then timewarped. Then, the Water Kraken Grabbed hold of my ship and threw it on the bottom of the sea. Darn.

EtkqCDt.jpg

The amazing thing was, not only did it not die, but it flew up to the surface and remained intact even when it fell from over 100m in the air!

4CD1hf2.png

Ship: 1. KSP: 0

hKSHFY4.png

The landliner 3rd generation design is over a year old now..

but I knew things were getting a little serious than simply making a train like thing in KSP... when I lost one.. for some reason.. unlike all the other prototypes.. this one ment something.. and unknowing to myself.. be it the lighting or something else unexplained.. even the kerbals themselves seemed sad..

I sent another train to the crash site to plant a flag and pay my respects..

..driving to the wreckage seemed very surreal.. and driving away as the train left the crash site actually felt like a real farewell to a lost friend

sYzMgRC.jpg?1

PIBJ2tG.jpg

8au9HGB.jpg?1

So I needed to launch some probes, and I decided to have a little fun and try something new. I made a Falcon 9 style rocket and land back at KSC. Before this I had boosted a first stage all the way to orbit and then came back around to KSC, but this time I launched straight up and came straight back down. The only requirement is that the orbit insertion stage has over 2 Km/s of delta-V (~0 m/s to orbital velocity burn) and has enough TwR to A: Not fall back to Kerbin, and B: Get to orbit before the first stage crashes.

Liftoff!

snip

To orbit! The first stage uses Mechjeb's landing guidance to tell me where the rocket will land (after the atmosphere and the planet's rotation messes with the trajectory).

snip

Low on fuel...

snip

Ka-BOOM! Not enough for even the best suicide burn. Also I may have wasted fuel trying to avoid the VAB... (20 tons would probably collapse the entire building)

snip

Close Enough!

iv found that the best way to land things back on kerbin with rockets is to wait until the last second to start braking, use the atmosphere to slow down as much as possible, and reduce losses from gravity.