Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

What do you do when you have too much fuel left in the booster your temporary space station? Why, do science and return it on its engines of course!

htciEZW.png

pPzcehU.png

N882nJH.png

*KSP crashed during the landing and I had to reload, hence the retracted but seemingly indestructible solar panels.

So I finally got my latest manned Duna mission under way after loading all the base modules onto IEV Stargazer.

aVycRJj.png

3tUY1bK.png

Upon arrival at Duna a couple of months later...

ACmc4yk.png

BREAKING NEWS

It's just come in that the IEV Stargazer has suffered a significant structural failure resulting in the command module and the lander becoming separated from the rest of the ship.

zsPmAZp.png

Even despite the supposedly stronger joints and additional struts, the ship began to wobble violently while aerobraking and eventually succumbed to the unusual forces grappling with it.

Fortunately, no casualties amongst the 9 crew have been reported, and the space centre is currently assessing the situation. We'll bring you more as the story develops.

So yeah, for whatever reason, the ship wobbled to hell and back, and even despite having 'Unbreakable joints' checked off in a last-ditch attempt to avoid something snapping, something, well... snapped. The KAS struts that you can build on EVA didn't help, either.

So I had to improvise. I undocked the rover from the back, guided the CM with the lander and got that docked to the port that had the rover, while the lander went and retrieved the rover. The two vessels then and sorted their orbits out. Base deployment commenced as planned once the situation was de-escalated.

n7dtMkV.png

Im1bPIY.png

6Pv3x49.png

2fe4etM.png

That's the skycrane crashing ahead of the rover.

OmUKZZk.png

2QH6Ds9.png

The, uh... adjusted Stargazer as the lander arrived to pick up some crew.

MGudrs5.png

A2hLvPz.png

Welcome to Reach Base.

The primary objective was completed, at least. The plan now is to land on Ike, leave the torus section of Stargazer behind, and head home. I'd bring the torus with me, but it's far too wobbly now after the accident. It'll make a decent station, at least :P

Ike is a desolate place, but it can still afford some decent vistas with its mountain ranges.

o1xPf9G.png

I also got some crew sent off to a station orbiting Eve that had been awaiting inhabitants for a little while...

3abBPAs.png

yLtkuNO.png

qqUIV11.png

Finally, my Laythe rover arrived in Jool orbit, but until I get the 'Explore Laythe' contract, it isn't budging one single bit.

W92TxMT.png

This managed to light itself really nicely to give some spooky desolation - the unexpected location of the craft ( which did actually get there itself ) adds something else, too.

16866246966_88fd31d494_b.jpg

Alternatively it looks like it was faked up on a movie set ( ahem ). Maybe a Gerry Andersen set...

Must reinstall some camera tools.

Edited by Van Disaster

IEV Marathon in orbit and awaiting crew/cargo. I'll probably load up some base modules for Ike and get additional crew for Reach Base (Duna).

NrO4vU6.png

Jeb (I believe, anyway...) having survived a very bad SSTO design that couldn't even get off the runway without tumbling out of control. I decided to play around with the atmosphere colours using Kittopia tech just so I could get rid of the stupid white band in the lower part. It turned out well, I think. I also modified those of Duna (now very thin and very pale pink-white) and Laythe (a little bit darker and more desolate looking).

4NUPjdK.png

Meanwhile, at Laythe...

NoQuxAG.png

I, uh... I may have forced the Explore Laythe contract to appear with some config editing. Just spawned another Bop contract and changed the body reference number in my save file. Worked like a charm. It remains to be seen if I'll wind up with another Explore Laythe contract at some point as a result of my impatience :rolleyes:

sLiFE7Z.png

Nl6DvVf.png

You can see the modified atmosphere in this next one:

aj6muXu.png

To round off, I took one of my jets out for a spin around KSC. Initially it was a solid, reliable plane, but I decided to add an extra set of winglets to increase its agility, and now it turns incredibly quickly. Jeb flew, of course, not caring for the fact that the 15G+ turns probably caused him damage in some way...

gexcJK4.png