Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

and now for something completely different:

First Moho Transit of 2017 - Full Composite

I was really excited to work on this and it came out so awesome if I do say so myself. So yes, with Distant Object Enhancement (or maybe stock I don’t know, DOE at least makes it easier to find planets in the sky) you can actually see Moho if you zoom in using Camera Tools. But that’s not enough since the sun is a glaring blob of brightness and the planet is lost in all that. So you need to have Kopernicus in order to tweak the appearance of the sun using the following MM config:

@Body[Sun]
{
  %Template
  {
    removeCoronas = True
  }    
  %ScaledVersion
  {
    %Light
    {
      %sunLensFlareColor = 0, 0, 0, 0
    }
    %Material
    {
      %rimBlend = 0
      %rimPower = 0
    }
  }
}

You also have to make sure Scatterer is removed if you have it, and having Environmental Visual Enhancements helps too on its own. In addition, Ambient Light Adjustment does change the apparent brightness of the sun’s surface, which can be useful for getting a good exposure. Now the transit started when the sun was not up over KSC but what I could do was lower the camera position with CameraTools until I was clipping into the ocean, which let me see through the planet and made the sun visible. So from just being at KSC I was able to zoom in and take a photo every hour. After taking all the images I layered them atop each other in Paint.NET to align them all and then marked Moho’s position on a separate layer that was then merged with the sun image I wanted to use for a backdrop. I used a sepia filter for the final result after reviewing several actual transit photos. So yes, this is the actual path and progress of Moho – I didn’t do any fancy math or orbital projection to determine where it would be on the sun’s disk and painted it there. Looking forward to the Eve transit next month!

More astrophotography in this album

(hey cool, flickr album links embed automatically and actually work. Take note modders!)

(wait, no the album only comes to life if I enter Edit mode and then cancel back out. When I refresh the page it just shows the cover image and if you click on it it goes blank. Oh well)

Edited by Drew Kerman

Spoiler

BqhDJiu.pngYwOoOUE.pngJGpqMdW.png6pVras9.png2vqHFE8.png1gm6VOO.pnga9Wt7g6.pngf4RjTQS.png

Took quite a few I liked today, so I put em' in the spoiler. 

The shuttle missing a wing isn't so great looking, just sorta cool.  The wing sheared off due to save reloading, making it a pretty difficult challenge to land it on the runway. 

I can't deny that I'm having fun time with space photography. Although Kerbal cameras only work like 1 out of 5 times. Most of the time they print out snack recipes :( So allow me to indulge... oh, and check out some latest photos from cold and dark space. Yummy!

screenshot2.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot12.png

screenshot13.png

screenshot14.png

screenshot22.png

screenshot28.png

screenshot29.png

screenshot43.png

screenshot45.png

screenshot48.png

screenshot53.png