Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

Arthur, K.R.A.S.S.H. Industries newest prototype, to be up on KerbalX once I can figure out how to consistently land it without destroying it.

This will be K.R.A.S.S.H.'s 42nd upload, so it is named after Arthur Dent.  Towels will be provided to all passengers.

cuMJ4jM.png

@purpleivan

I love your rover transport solution. What mod is that that reflects the green into the windows?

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

I love your rover transport solution. What mod is that that reflects the green into the windows?

It's Windoshine, but it's only available for versions up to 1.3.1. I have a seperate install with that version for my LOST on Laythe pics.

TABqNtr.png

50B72aM.png

LnlQYo7.png

Each wheel connected to a free-moving hub, and attached to the body by struts which act like springs. Allows high speeds despite patches of terrain clipping with each other.

Edited by KAO

Playing with Realism Overhaul and about to set off for the Moon. This is not going to be a quick visit but rather a series of long-term missions. Surface infrastructure will need an element that ferries supplies, astronauts, and fuel between landing craft, habitats, geological points of interest, and ISRU mining facilities.

This rover features a longitudinal and radial suspension system for *high* speed travel, accommodation for four human beings, and fuel tank for ascent vehicles. It lands packed up, the wheels swing down and the astronauts secure them with suspension struts.

Pictured with painstakingly crafted facsimiles of the astronauts as per the dimensions of the average 180cm tall human being. [SOURCE]

0DrbUVV.png

sYqtolg.png

Edited by KAO

Moho has been my nemesis for awhile. Poor delta-V planning led to only one landing success (after a harrowing suicide burn) with three orbiter relays turned sad-flybys.

Reading about the BepiColombo mission to Mercury (and how it solves the same problem and uses ion drives itself) convinced me that I was just using ion drives wrong. Too much weight. I need to lighten the load.

And then I discovered Mr Stock's impressive ion-powered probe lander. It balanced the delta-V needs, gets into orbit with ease, is easy on mistakes, and lands with some excess power to spare in both cruise and landing.

The design only needs four 1x6 panels because solar energy is more concentrated by Moho. For other places, adding one or two RTGs or more arrays is a good plan.

The rover makes a self-powered landing. The bulk of its weight are Oscar fuel tanks, about 1200 dV.

After checking the general mass of the original lander, I made a special rover that's now (along with a sibling lander) orbiting Moho, about to collect some low science before their landing. I put a test version of the rover on the Mun with ridiculous ease, and adapted a version to send to Dres.

It's pretty on the eyes, too.

vHLJ1I7.png

wuwQChG.png

A0oBYph.png

Here's the original design (I built it from scratch, although the craft file is available):

zWm6rgI.png

xvrKT3w.png

Edited by OrbitsR4Sissies

I like sending probes to Eve, but its launch window is woefully slow to show up.

With that in mind, I thought to send two rovers in one go. For this mission, I call the rovers "Travellers." Here's my Eve Dual Traveller.

l1QOwXY.png

I designed it so that the cruise stage would become a relay (a backup to the simple relay that was launched after this mission) once it separated. The stacked rovers would aerobrake with the inflatable heat shield. Once in a weak orbit, small Twitch engines would wait for a good spot to drop a rover, lower the perapsis to a deorbit, deploy a rover pod and reset the perapsis until the final landing site is chosen.

I had a bright idea to save some fuel and try to see if the C/G was decent enough to aerobrake the whole thing at around 66 km. You might guess what happened.

Hh765f5.png

Chaos. As expected, the C/G was too much and the RCS couldn't match the roll. The whole thing turned over, destroying the cruise stage. Not too surprisingly, the rovers made it through, although they lost their needed propulsion for deorbiting.

So after goofing off with this, I went to the planned mode: Separate the cruise stage, zoom it ahead of the Travellers to get it into orbit, and then aerobrake the Travellers.

It almost worked. The inflatable heat shield (which, if you didn't know, doesn't have ablation--it's meant for shallow aerobraking or deorbits) did its job, but my 68 km was too low because the inflatable heat shield worked too well. The Travellers had deorbited. Worse, the cruise stage was on the other side of the planet, cutting off probe control.

One more revert and it was to my backup plan--let the cruise stage put everything into orbit and await relay #2 in eight days.

And around that time, I sent my first Jool mission: The Myriad Multiprobe. I took a page from Marcus House's book at first, but the Kraken did not like the overstacked probes. So I recalled some of Matt Lowne's style and the result is what you see here.

DMxIXIq.png

Three general probes for Vall, Pol and Bop. An uncomplicated Laythe probe (wanted to send a tiny plane probe for extra coverage but had too little time to research one). But what I'm looking forward to is the Tylo rover.

Fresh from my Moho landing success, I verified I could drop a rover from 70 km for a powered landing on Kerbin. With a Terrier crasher stage included for insurance, I will conquer Tylo with a rover landing on my first try, Kraken willing. I added a few more Spiders to it, reducing my total burn time but increasing my braking if needed.

All of this gets into a Joolian or Laythe orbit while it awaits a second relay to go with a first relay I sent in the last transfer window.

Edited by OrbitsR4Sissies

Some days, you just can't revert and have to accept your fails.

You remember this magnificent Eve probe, with two landers inside 2.5m service bays ("Manley-class" re-entry modules).

l1QOwXY.png

Well, it didn't go off well. I already noted the aerobraking challenges that left me making a normal orbital burn for everything. Then things got worse.

I didn't add reaction wheels to the entry modules, each with an OCTO2. The first module tumbled uncontrollably to entry interface. I could only hope that aerodynamic forces would push the thing into Eve's atmosphere the right way. That worked!

But on landing and rover deployment, the decoupler's force (which I'm sure was set to minimum) was far too much for the rover wheels under heavy gravity.

g5VZRWt.png

The rover moved just enough to expose a few solar panels, enough to transmit some data as a lander. The second lander could safely enter but would result in the same fate on deploy.

Attempts to decouple the rovers in orbit, with and without the bay doors open, resulted in the rover's ejection/obliteration. I've had failures to orbit and land, but this one stung. Next time, Eve. Next time.

8 minutes ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

But on landing and rover deployment, the decoupler's force (which I'm sure was set to minimum) was far too much for the rover wheels under heavy gravity.

g5VZRWt.png

Those wheels are worthless. I broke them just decoupling a rover from a lander and dropping a meter or so to the Munar surface.

4 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Those wheels are worthless. I broke them just decoupling a rover from a lander and dropping a meter or so to the Munar surface.

This is the very first mission failure I've had with them. I've made dozens of rovers before with them. But they seem  especially sensitive to heavy gravity. Rovers aren't built to be 4x4s and my reading suggests many players try to drive them like cars--too fast and too recklessly. Not everything in KSP is about power and speed--rovers are a balance. I've dropped many a powered rover to the Mun, Moho and Duna with these wheels, like this one here. So I don't fault the part here if I use it outside its tolerances.

Landing at 4 m/s or less is a good plan. Decouplers today are overpowered and may kill them at even the lowest setting.

XXeJDJ1.png

1 minute ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

Landing at 4 m/s or less is a good plan. Decouplers today are overpowered and may kill them at even the lowest setting.

XXeJDJ1.png

Yeah that might be what happened. It was early in my career and I didn't know the game as well yet. Also my rover didn't have any thrusters.

My version of the "Pale Blue Dot".....

paNTj0L.png

After this probe's mission was completed I parked it just a hair beyond Kerbin's SOI and it will most likely follow Kerbin in a solar orbit for a very long time.

At least it will live on as a relay.