Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

My Spacestation!!! - The H.M.S. Wileen !!

Took me a long time to build, test, launch and dock this! I used a lot of parts from Mods, so I can no longer get to it, likely ever again, unless all the mods I used are updated.....

This is pretty big, but since I used all tri-couplers on the parts, it was very stable - it turned well using RCS. I like using the tri-couplers for the main sections. It can house 16 Kerbals and has 4 escape pods.

hmswileenfinishedlrg.jpg

Here is the 1st 2 sections on approach:

1approach.jpg

This is the 1st 2 sections docked, with an RCS refueler attached:

21stdock.jpg

When I made the other sections, I needed to have tri-couplers on both sides, so I had to come up with a method that would leave both ends with the tri's available for docking. This method worked well, but left some debris.

3tricouplerconnection.jpg

Here is the 3rd part - the science station with a quad set of lateral antennas:

4part3.jpg

The 3rd part attached - took a few tries and some finesse!!

53connect.jpg

The 4th part - with additional housing units:

6pt4.jpg

4th Part on approach! My fingers stayed crossed..............

7pt4approach.jpg

Hahahah!! Oooops - Kerrr-unch!!!!!!!!! It actually did not cause any damage (whew!) This happened a few times - was getting a bit of lag due to all the parts -

8pt4collision.jpg

Finally attached with a few ships docked.

9pt4refueling.jpg

One of the fun things about using mech-jeb!! After selecting the port for the 5th part, it ignored the rest of the ship when it set up the final approach. Had to do that manually!

10pt5collision.jpg

Here is the final result - very long!!!

I added a set of escape pods on the right and an additional science lab on the left. By that time the lag was unbearable, so I will have to redesign this with stock parts and as fewer parts as I can!!

11final.jpg

Hope you like it!

Edited by dpraptor

Testing an interplanetary cradle thing for my spaceplanes.

-photo snip-

I've been playing with the one Levelord posted on, but I've been thinking about some changes to it that are similar to your idea. Unfortunately, balance is a real bugger to get right, even with quantum struts. I'm going to wind up doing lots of testing, using the gravity hack (which for some reason still seems to have some form of gravity anyway).

That, or spend many, many hours launching the things over and over to test them in orbit....

That's pretty slick looking, but will it even have enough thrust to be useful when lugging a spaceplane around?

Those aren't normal ion engines. That's why there's big liquid fuel tanks there. Those are engines from that ion hybrid mod pack. It's got slightly less thrust than the Nerva, but better efficiency.

I've been playing with the one Levelord posted on, but I've been thinking about some changes to it that are similar to your idea. Unfortunately, balance is a real bugger to get right, even with quantum struts. I'm going to wind up doing lots of testing, using the gravity hack (which for some reason still seems to have some form of gravity anyway).

That, or spend many, many hours launching the things over and over to test them in orbit....

Yep, I'm having the same trouble. Luckily B9 comes with those SAS torque things, they make the wobble much more manageable.

Do your balancing in the SPH. Throw your spaceplane and tug files together and check the center of mass/thrust on them that way before sending them up seperately. Done right, you can establish a 'standard' for all your spaceplanes as far as your center of mass with relation to the docking port, allowing you to skip the cross-balancing step later.

most easily done with subassembly loader, but sadly that's not working right now, for me anyway....

Those aren't normal ion engines. That's why there's big liquid fuel tanks there. Those are engines from that ion hybrid mod pack. It's got slightly less thrust than the Nerva, but better efficiency.

Those engines are nice, but I always have the problem that by the time I'm done fiddling with power, batteries, and placing such large engines (radius wise) I may as well just plop a Nerva down. Least that way the dark side of planets doesn't become a scary place to be.

Do your balancing in the SPH. Throw your spaceplane and tug files together and check the center of mass/thrust on them that way before sending them up seperately. Done right, you can establish a 'standard' for all your spaceplanes as far as your center of mass with relation to the docking port, allowing you to skip the cross-balancing step later.

most easily done with subassembly loader, but sadly that's not working right now, for me anyway....

Bummer. Subassembly Loader is working fine for me, and I've got the engine sled saved there so I can play around with reaching a standard setup that works a lot more easily for the Whiteraven variant.

Launching balance isn't the problem, so much as keeping the thing stable while trying to use it with the SSTO.

The biggest issue as present is the thing's propensity to swing "upward" while under thrust. Annoying as heck!

Bummer. Subassembly Loader is working fine for me, and I've got the engine sled saved there so I can play around with reaching a standard setup that works a lot more easily for the Whiteraven variant.

Launching balance isn't the problem, so much as keeping the thing stable while trying to use it with the SSTO.

The biggest issue as present is the thing's propensity to swing "upward" while under thrust. Annoying as heck!

It sounds like the center of mass is above the center of thrust with the SSTO docked. I was suggesting you could troubleshoot a lot of that in the SPH by making sure those factors line up perfectly... however, if you lack any sort of thrust vecoring or sufficient spin torque, you're still going to have a hard time as every millimeter it's off will have an impact on handling.

I more or less gave up on the 'sled' style tugs and went with a ring that docks on the nose instead... that way I only have to test the mass/thrust balance of the SSTO to line up on the center, and the ring will just do the rest and pull it along. The trouble is that the thing has to be BIG to fit the wingspans of some of my SSTOs, and sometimes the part count gets high.

So I designed a one-man medium lander, and decided to take it on an interplanetary jaunt. My second serious interplanetary attempt, my first manned one, and my first successful one;

FirstLanding_zpsf9049cb7.png~original

Yes, it was actually Jebediah who manned the capsule, despite dying on the Mün at least two times before.

Emboldened by this success, I decided to take the same design, on the same rocket, to another planet. The only world with a reasonable phase angle turned out to be Jool, which only required 4 days of time-acceleration (which accidentally became 5) for the launch window to appear. I got an encounter, performed a few minor tweaks (less than 100m/sec delta-V total) to get close, and set up an aerobraking manoeuvre. Unfortunately, I was a bit too enthusiastic with the periapsis. It slowed me down all right..... straight down into the atmosphere. No amount of burning would raise my apoapsis. So I decided to make the most of it, transfer what fuel was left in the interplanetary section to the lander, ditched it, and got ready to encounter the surface. What can I say, I was curious. I also deployed my landing legs, because why not. I also figured I'd slow my descent with the rockets. For !!SCIENCE!!.

I honestly did not expect it to actually work.

JoolLanderI_zpscadbdd7e.png~original

Note the selected ship.

JoolLanderII_zpsd892052f.png~original

Photographic proof. I did get mach effects applied to the lander when I switched to it for a moment, but then physics loaded properly and it was a-ok.

JoolLanderIII_zpsb2363624.png~original

What luck, Kerbol on the horizon right in sight of my lander window makes for a spectacular sight.

Yeeeeeaaah.....

So I designed a one-man medium lander, and decided to take it on an interplanetary jaunt. My second serious interplanetary attempt, my first manned one, and my first successful one;

FirstLanding_zpsf9049cb7.png~original

Yes, it was actually Jebediah who manned the capsule, despite dying on the Mün at least two times before.

Emboldened by this success, I decided to take the same design, on the same rocket, to another planet. The only world with a reasonable phase angle turned out to be Jool, which only required 4 days of time-acceleration (which accidentally became 5) for the launch window to appear. I got an encounter, performed a few minor tweaks (less than 100m/sec delta-V total) to get close, and set up an aerobraking manoeuvre. Unfortunately, I was a bit too enthusiastic with the periapsis. It slowed me down all right..... straight down into the atmosphere. No amount of burning would raise my apoapsis. So I decided to make the most of it, transfer what fuel was left in the interplanetary section to the lander, ditched it, and got ready to encounter the surface. What can I say, I was curious. I also deployed my landing legs, because why not. I also figured I'd slow my descent with the rockets. For !!SCIENCE!!.

I honestly did not expect it to actually work.

JoolLanderI_zpscadbdd7e.png~original

Note the selected ship.

JoolLanderII_zpsd892052f.png~original

Photographic proof. I did get mach effects applied to the lander when I switched to it for a moment, but then physics loaded properly and it was a-ok.

JoolLanderIII_zpsb2363624.png~original

What luck, Kerbol on the horizon right in sight of my lander window makes for a spectacular sight.

Yeeeeeaaah.....

What...?

It boggles the mind.

My Spacestation!!! - The H.M.S. Wileen !!

Oh my! That is indeed a beautiful space station!

I have one craft orbiting the sun at about 9000m a second, but that is all. It's a rather dull looking craft too.

Edited by Kanga