Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

First (unmanned) landing at Duna. The Lewis and Clark mission was to send a satellite into polar orbit in the search for anomalies then land up to four light, cheap and expendable probes nearby to get a closer look. Probes come equipped with chutes, light RCS and enough fuel and engines to make safe landings on nearly any terrestrial body and some extra for "hopping" after arrival.

Lewis on route with attached probes:

9459251217_0382239d0c_b.jpg

Polar Orbit achieved, scanning begins:

9459263629_fb27625c7c_b.jpg

Probes away after three total anomalies discovered:

9459271413_8f356ea47a_b.jpg

Clark lands safely in the polar region of Duna. No immediate anomalies discovered.

9462053510_d2ccdac03e_b.jpg

Successful landing of Sacajawea, again, no immediate anomalies discovered. KSA is beginning to wonder if this if data from Lewis was corrupted or a miscalculation has been made.

9462062258_4ab0811e5a_b.jpg

Jefferson catches Ike on the way down:

9462069962_50d882a27c_b.jpg

[REDACTED].

9462078798_1d61aea1ed_b.jpg

KSA decides to aim for a stretch goal and use Lewis to orbit and scan Ike then land Floyd, the final probe. However, the fuel line for Lewis' final stage was severed upon launch (one disgruntled ex-KSA insider has claimed the fuel line was never connected the the final stage engine in the first place, a huge oversight which KSA has repeatedly responded to with 'No comment'). Floyd is doomed to only have enough fuel to impact, and not land, on Ike.

Here is the final image snapped from Floyd, traveling at nearly 600 m/s, only moments before impact:

9462092546_1a9437f15c_b.jpg

A manned mission to Duna to stay for an indefinite period of time is already in the works.

So on one of my latest launches, I noticed I was effectively flying in formation with my own spent booster. I had a little time before my orbital insertion burn, so I took a few screenshots:

Well okay, these are picturesque, but let's be honest here... Isn't this a bit like taking snaps of the toilet after you do your business? :D

(Kidding, I find entertainment in just that kind of quirk in KSP as well)

Got a few to contribute today.

Seeing as there is no hab module yet, Jeb has taken to standing under my new Mun launch pad, to get out of the sun.

b4Ozt5S.png

q4pbiAC.jpg

Fairings. This is how you do them. Totally aerodynamic...

zB2Rgvh.jpg

Behold my unarmed, and almost operational Death Star!

rv8wWfu.jpg

Something's missing. Hexagons, hexagons everywhere.

lgAUwHC.jpg

Solar eclipse over the Mun's north pole.

KakNcul.jpg

I really like this one for some reason.

yaHPpWN.jpg

Lastly...

L8bxaWz.jpg

♫Did ya get lost between the Mun and KSC?♪♫...

Edited by Tw1

Phase 1 of my Stanford torus project is complete. The core and the arm root sections (thinner at the inner end to make sure they have enough clearance around each other) are docked together. Current diameter is estimated at about 60-90 meters (value is imprecise, as the station is still wholly under automated control and there is nobody up there to take measurements), and mass is just shy of 2300 tons. 17 launches were required to complete phase 1 (18 if you count the space tug that was used to rotate one of the arms 90 degrees when I mucked up the docking). Total mission time thus far: 2 days, 7 hours. The station has been named KOS High Aspiration, in honour of the mammoth size of the undertaking.

Bringing the final arm section in to dock. Perspective is from the "bottom" of the station, looking towards Kerbol-rise.

qnUepum.jpg

View of one of the construction frame units just prior to deorbit. These frames bring the sections in to dock, then are removed to strip away unnecessary parts (RCS ports, struts, etc.). The station can be seen in the background.

NByEuOG.jpg

A few orbits after the final arm is docked and the frame is removed, in the same position as before. I just like seeing Kerbol-rise.

kr9KWFf.jpg

Detail of the station, looking from the "top".

kk5J44S.jpg

Here is Burdred. I made an outside chair, I guess a "catbird" seat or whatever you want to call it. I forgot he was out there. As you can see by the elapsed mission time, and the awful frown on his face, it's been quite awhile, and the poor guy is just . . . .pathetic. I got him out of there and sent him on a few missions with Jebediah to spice up his life!

burdred_zps36cda1ba.png