Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

Bob: Jeb, I know your tricks, I know you love crazy rockets. I don't think you can surprise m-- HOLY [FLUFFY BUNNIES]!

My biggest payload so far. It's a large spherical LFO tank with a smaller monopropellant tank. Here's the payload and the upper stage boosters.

0nCS0vr.jpg

On the launch pad. It's powered by my large workhorse, the Ilmatar launcher: six 3.75m liquid engines in asparagus configuration, and a more powerful central booster. The upper stage consists of a high Isp 2.5m engine for orbital maneuvers and four 1.25m boosters for a Hohmann transfer.

9bYfWTP.jpg

Lesson learned: don't jettison your fairings until you're in space, especially if 80% of the struts connnect to it. To my surprise, the enormous bo-- I mean, tank didn't explode.

TigN1AW.jpg

At around 27 kilometers, I noticed a malfunction in the main engine: it consumed fuel a lot faster than it should. I still had one pair of radial tanks that should have been feeding the central one, but the fuel lines seemed to have been torn.

Despite that, I still got the thing into orbit. Due to the amount of malfunctions, most of the ascent and rendezvous wasn't documented, but as the tank and ships were ready for docking, a kerbal at Mission Control sneezed and headbutted the Screenshot button.

SCieY0Z.jpg

Jebediah: I call it... Unitesticle!

Edited by Vanamonde

Testing of the Orion Orbiter Shuttle Mk4 is now underway. It's cargo bay is capable of holding an entire orange tank with room to spare. The bay doors are fully functional, and will open and close on command.

tjxw0L2.jpg

*5 minutes later, during landing*

Hey, where'd that wing go?!

Bi12DGW.png

RIP

5Eufr75.png

Oh, WOW, they actually survived!

ePpk0HA.png

Awww it's so CUTE! Does it bite?

:D

Given that it's supposed to orbit Ike Gilly and I managed to put it in retrograde orbit around Eve somehow, kinda. *sigh* One very long ion burn, coming up...

-- Steve

Edited by Anton P. Nym
Fixing a moon-naming thinko

Assembling my latest fuel truck in orbit.

I didn't take a shot of the starting configuration, because it wasn't until I almost clipped off one of my lights that I realized there might be some hijinks worth saving.

w8MrrGD.png

But you can see the basic idea. The top stage of the fuel truck, as launched, consisted of a lander pod crewed by the intrepid Gilmund Kerman, attached to a nuke by a pair of Clamp-o-Tron Seniors.

Then I sent up a probe with a top stage consisting of a probe core and a thrust package bracketing an orange tank with the Seniors.

Having discarded the probe's thrust package, I'm now reconfiguring into fuel truck mode. This consists of moving the fuel truck's nuke to the end of the probe's orange tank.

ePgMRit.png

then disconnecting the probe core and rotating the fuel truck's control module into its place.

cV41mgX.png

That was a bit tricky in that the center of mass around which the combined control modules rotated wasn't the physical center, so I had to stop for a moment and crab away from the orange tank.

Once Gilmund was in place, the probe core is discarded et voila fuel truck!

zzmjAqp.png

After a month-long incubation in a Sun-ward orbit and a brief period of fiery aerobraking, a baby probe hatches out of its shell.

KSP_Seagoer3_BabysFirstPhonecall_zps51e74475.jpg

And here's the little hatchling making its first call home with data, in a 10km x 9km sunsynchronous polar orbit of Gilly. (After much, much, much fussing around with the ions... but I don't think I could've recovered the mission from my botched orbit insertion without all that delta-V aboard. Certainly I couldn't have braked it at Gilly's orbit, hovered there for a few time-accelerated hours until it came around, and then boosted to match orbits with another craft.)

-- Steve

PS:

KSP_Seagoer3_GillyAndEve_zps9dedd572.jpg

Edited by Anton P. Nym
adding second image