Postcards from Laythe - Cancelled indefinately

chobit-389

Making it far more interesting and fun.

You'd have to carefully choose where to land, and account for things like the heat and stuff, and it'd be super rich in resources but they would be hard to get. You could also make gliders using the heat being radiated from all over!

Then it would be a great place for mining but then some of the pictures wouldn't make sense. And you wouldn't be able to breath, less you die from the volcanic gases.

Probably. Moho's gonna be like Mustafar, anyway. Once they get lava working! Until the, enjoy Rareden's awesome fanart!

http://i.imgur.com/EJvW327.jpg

Now, back to the topic: This might be going into the sci-fi realm now, but is it actually possible to strengthen a planet's magnetic field? Say, a bunch of large poles around the globe that discharge electricity into the atmosphere.

Actually Moho will stay the way it is.

Probably. Moho's gonna be like Mustafar, anyway. Once they get lava working! Until the, enjoy Rareden's awesome fanart!

Now, back to the topic: This might be going into the sci-fi realm now, but is it actually possible to strengthen a planet's magnetic field? Say, a bunch of large poles around the globe that discharge electricity into the atmosphere.

That just sounds really difficult, if it even was possible.

All I can come up with is one huge solenoid around an active iron core creating a huge electromagnet.

There isn't really all that much research done on how to enhance a planets magnetosphere. So we don't even have any speculative technologies.

Actually Moho will stay the way it is.

Has that been confirmed? I was under the impression that Moho undergoes periods of volcanic activity (ie. in 0.17 it was red and had a superheated atmosphere, and even now it has huge lava tubes in its surface), and it's currently not active.

Has that been confirmed? I was under the impression that Moho undergoes periods of volcanic activity (ie. in 0.17 it was red and had a superheated atmosphere, and even now it has huge lava tubes in its surface), and it's currently not active.
They thought about doing an extra planet with the super hot atmosphere that Moho once had.

Since its the KSP version of mercury, then it would be like mercury. So it would be like it is presumably. But just very hot so you would have to have heat resistive parts used.

I was thinking a permanent super-hurricane that drifts it's way around the seas.

And yes, but there's always ways around radiation belts

We already discussed this like 50 pages ago;

Laythe has a molten core, resulting in an magnetosphere capable of blocking Jool's radiation belts. This molten core also heats the surface up to a pleasant 38 degrees celsius and therefore making it a nice place to bathe in the sun and stuff.

Wow. Just wow.

The crab soup'll be referenced early, while still on Kerbal. I'm thinking... restaurant scene with the ladies.

"What're we having?"

"Hmmm... I hear the crab soup is highly recommended"

But then no one orders it. :)

Well, maybe not of the planet itself, but one could build an immense electromagnet and put it in orbit with a nuclear reactor or something to power it. Then put it on a sol-synchronous orbit so it will protect the planet against the sun (somewhat, depends on how OP and expensive you go). Or in Laythes case, I'm not sure if a Jool-synchronous orbit is possible, and if not, make a network of like 4 of those magneto-satelites that are each 90 degrees away from each other on the same orbit.

Problem with this is, unless you find a way to direct the magnetic field away from the planet you orbit, you might fry all electronics down there.

It's not Kerbol that baths Laythe in rads, it's Jool. So, for simplicity's sake, in the PfL version of the Kerbalverse, Laythe has a strong enough magnetic field to allow a safe working environment on it's surface.

When in doubt, say "Meh, whatever works."

Considering how Laythe would be very vulcanic in the future according to the devs, its vulcanos, both on the surface and underwater could provide potential locations for a geothermal powerplant, capable of fueling vast bases. Also, vulcanic ash is fertile, and considering Laythes 38 degree celcius temperatures, it would make the perfect rainforest climate. And with that, tons of microbes that see kerbals as a good host.

...What? I leave for four hours and miss the discussion on my GIANT ENEMY CRAB soup?

...I can never leave my computer...

...my precious.

Also: I'm assuming that we will see tentacle Sea monsters in the future. The load of posts thataway^ made me believe that. Is this true?

(ALSO: we need something other than the broken piece of crap that Steam is.)

Edited by Rage097

It's not Kerbol that baths Laythe in rads, it's Jool. So, for simplicity's sake, in the PfL version of the Kerbalverse, Laythe has a strong enough magnetic field to allow a safe working environment on it's surface.

Just as a reference, don's use a kerbal-made magnet as a reason either. With the given numbers for Laythe, to boost the magnetic field for the whole planet up to par with the weakest field on Earth would require a magnet that outputs 6,250,000 tesla (if placed in the core). Just say that the tidal forces from Jool cause Laythe to be volcanically active, allowing for a molten core and thus its own magnetic field. It has a pretty short day so it is not a bad assumption to say that the core rotation speed is pretty fast too.

... See VVVVV
Considering how Laythe would be very vulcanic in the future according to the devs, its vulcanos, both on the surface and underwater could provide potential locations for a geothermal powerplant, capable of fueling vast bases. Also, vulcanic ash is fertile, and considering Laythes 38 degree celcius temperatures, it would make the perfect rainforest climate. And with that, tons of microbes that see kerbals as a good host.

EXACTLY!

Also, this vulcanic activity requires a molten core. And this molten core might result in an magnetosphere capable of blocking Jool's radiation. And this all results in an non-hostile place for kerbals to live, where the only danger is diseases and parasites.

Big PfL news on the way, stand by for updates within bout 24 hours

YAY!

And if neccessary, plot-twist alien supermagnet in Laythes core.

That and mini-kraken in the ocean.

OH NEIN! KEIN KRAKEN! DUM! DUUUM!