Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

I've updated the official releases to be v6.3.3 with the 0.24 dll, which has lots of new features that will be used in v7, but is already in use in a few other mods like B9.

Oh right, I forgot to update that version file. The version file is used by some mod manager (I can't remember which now), and it shouldn't affect anything unless you use that.

If you don't use that, but still get an error message about the version when you get to the main menu, you must have an old dll somewhere, because that error message is based on info internal to the dll.

Does the 0.24 update give these parts Costs as well?

The costs have always been there, just not in use. However the prices are not good, just the result of copying sections of cfg files blindly around, so every wing costs 1000, not matter how big or small for instance.

I will have to fix that, but in the mean time, there is no shame in editing a price if you are playing career mod and see a dumb price. It's not cheating, just fixing a "bug" :)

Oh right, I forgot to update that version file. The version file is used by some mod manager (I can't remember which now), and it shouldn't affect anything unless you use that.

If you don't use that, but still get an error message about the version when you get to the main menu, you must have an old dll somewhere, because that error message is based on info internal to the dll.

Well I removed the entire firespitter folder, so I shouldn't have any other dll's unless they hid themselves in other places (Anyone else running into this? If not, ignore me). I've run into no issues, just thought I should point it out as others may think it's the wrong version.

Works fine for any part ever: it will show that part's divergence from world XYZ.

That wasn't true when you wrote it, but is now :) It was always true for wheels, but not for other parts. If you need to align other stuff, get the latest dll

If you add the module to any part, it will compare its rotation to the world axis. Keep in mind that this will probably show correct when the part is pointing straight UP, not forwards, but I'm sure you can work around that :)

(Due to this ostensibly being a rocket game, all parts are built facing up)

The module to add in a cfg is like this

MODULE
{
name = FSwheelAlignment
}

edit: I forgot to sync the changes, so if you downloaded before wednesday/thursday, and it didn't work as expected, download the dll again.

Edited by Snjo

That wasn't true when you wrote it, but is now :) It was always true for wheels, but not for other parts. If you need to align other stuff, get the latest dll

If you add the module to any part, it will compare its rotation to the world axis. Keep in mind that this will probably show correct when the part is pointing straight UP, not forwards, but I'm sure you can work around that :)

(Due to this ostensibly being a rocket game, all parts are built facing up)

The module to add in a cfg is like this

MODULE
{
name = FSwheelAlignment
}

Wonderful, I hadn't considered other parts though I was also wondering about rovers. Thanks NathanKell & Snjo.

Yeah, just when everything starts to settle down BAMN! they drop it like it's hot, and I wasn't expecting it this time, so I tried to log in and everything was fubar instead of holding the update till things settle, its my fault for not turning off auto update.

What's not working?

ModuleManager reports that Firespitter hasn't been updated, but in my (limited) testing, everything functioned correctly – I could open and close SP+ cargo bays and swap textures in the VAB, and animations worked fine in flight.

I am trying to use the folding electric helio engine as a push engine on the back end of an airship, but unlike the others it does not have the ability to reverse thrust (for obvious reasons given its stated application)-- since I am not using it in quite the intended manner, how do I go about adding the ability to reverse?

Thank you for making such a cool and versatile mod.

Edit: Actually an electric version of the swamp motor would be most welcome as well...I tried to take the guts out of an electric nose prop for now, but it did not work out quite as well as I had hoped. Any chance for revolutionary electric table fan technology?

description = It's obviously not just an upscaled table fan. Obviously! Why not make your table fan electric? I mean, it is not a table fan, but now it is electric!

Edited by Smurfalot

Does this still work with 0.24.1 even though the game says otherwise?

Someone said it's fine litterally two posts before yours. It really should be fine, since 0.24.1 is mainly a bugfix release, some of it even related to mods. With a recompile the version message at the start should go away, but it shouldn't change anything otherwise.

If you are annoyed by the version warning, a

Hey Snjo!

Quick question, you can PM these answers and/or any other detail if you'd like.

-How do your helicopter modules work?

-How does the player translate forward, back, left, right? (without rolling/pitching in place).

-How is collective done? (up, down) is it just throttle up and down?

-I'm assuming tail rotor controls yaw.

In the following two screens you note more or less the issue:

ZBhhiJk.jpg

jnXrHUY.jpg

-The main rotor is linked to the rotor head which is linked to the turboshaft. I'm assuming your module would control the main rotor? What is that declared as?

-In the IVA, as I increase collective (up, down) what happens? How does your module handle that? I need to know so that I can separate out the proper part that'll move. If it's throttle, I need to know so I can declare the collective handles as throttles so they move up and down as the player increases/decreases collective.

-If so, how is cyclic handled? We can have the cyclic stick controlled like normal (like we do in the KSOs), but does your module which control the main rotor automatically do bladeslip, blade translation and such?

-So main rotor, which module do we use?

-Tail rotor, which module do we use?

-Is the engine a separate thing? (Helicopter's, especially this one, don't really have "thrust").

Hey Snjo, will we see a Lancaster part set, i.e - Faithful Lancaster cockpits, fuselage, gunner ports (you could use Bahamuto's Armoury plugin for gun turrets), wings rear wheels, etc. seeing as we have the engines and stuff - in update maybe v7.0 or v8.0 because those Lancaster engines have a lot of potential for a MASSIVE lancaster replica!?:D

I am trying to use the folding electric helio engine as a push engine on the back end of an airship, but unlike the others it does not have the ability to reverse thrust (for obvious reasons given its stated application)-- since I am not using it in quite the intended manner, how do I go about adding the ability to reverse?

Thank you for making such a cool and versatile mod.

Edit: Actually an electric version of the swamp motor would be most welcome as well...I tried to take the guts out of an electric nose prop for now, but it did not work out quite as well as I had hoped. Any chance for revolutionary electric table fan technology?

description = It's obviously not just an upscaled table fan. Obviously! Why not make your table fan electric? I mean, it is not a table fan, but now it is electric!

I have made an electrificated swamp engine in the past, just add this to the bottom of it's part.cfg. I don't think the heli engines can be reversed though.

PART

{

// --- general parameters ---

name = FSswampEngineElec

module = Part

author = Snjo

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

//scale = 0.1

scale = 1.0

// --- node definitions ---

//node_stack_top = 5.82, 3.74, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

//node_attach = 5.82, 3.74, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

node_stack_top = 0.582, 0.374, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

node_attach = 0.582, 0.374, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- FX definitions ---

//fx_exhaustLight_yellow = 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, power

//fx_smokeTrail_light = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, power

fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

// --- Sound FX definition ---

//sound_fspropstart.wav = engage

//sound_fspropidle.wav = power

//sound_jet_deep =

//sound_vent_soft = disengage

sound_explosion_low = flameout

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = specializedControl

cost = 950

category = Propulsion

subcategory = 0

title = FS3SE Swamp Engine Electric

manufacturer = Bitesized Industries

description = It's obviously not just an upscaled table fan. Obviously! Now with electrickery!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,1,1

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.3

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 7

maxTemp = 3600

MODULE

{

name = FSengineSounds

//engage =

//running =

power = Firespitter/Sounds/sound_fselectricengine

//disengage =

//flameout =

//warning = Firespitter/Sounds/sound_fsheatDing

powerPitchBase = 0.7

thrustAddedToPitch = 0.7

powerFadeInSpeed = 0.01

powerFadeInDelay = 0.0

powerVolume = 1.0

engageVolume = 1.0

warningSoundThreshold = 0.8

warningCooldownTime = 2.0

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleEngines

thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform

exhaustDamage = False

ignitionThreshold = 0.1

minThrust = 0

maxThrust = 45

heatProduction = 300

useEngineResponseTime = True

engineAccelerationSpeed = 20

engineDecelerationSpeed = 20

useVelocityCurve = True

PROPELLANT

{

name = ElectricCharge

ratio = 1

DrawGauge = True

}

PROPELLANT

{

name = FSCoolant

ratio = 0.01

}

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 3500

key = 1 3500

}

velocityCurve

{

key = 500 0 0 0

key = 425 0.2 0 0

key = 0 1 0 0

}

}

MODULE

{

name = FSpropellerAtmosphericNerf

thrustModifier = 1.1

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleResourceIntake

resourceName = FSCoolant

checkForOxygen = false

area = 1

intakeSpeed = 50

intakeTransformName = thrustTransform //Intake

}

RESOURCE

{

name = FSCoolant

amount = 5.0

maxAmount = 5.0

}

MODULE

{

name = FSplanePropellerSpinner

propellerName = propeller

useRotorDiscSwap = 0

rotationSpeed = -700

windmillRPM = 0.0

}

MODULE

{

name = FSmultiAxisEngine // allows for rotating three different objects in an engine or other part. Must be three separate objects or empties.

pitchObject = pitchObject //rotates around the y axis

yawObject = yawObject //rotates around the x axis

rollObject = none // rotates around the z axis

//pitchDefaultRotation = 0,0,0 etc can be used to add to the 0,0,0 + p,r,y rotation reset each update

axisMultiplier = 15, 0, 30 // pitch, roll, yaw

}

// END PART

}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.