Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

Thanks a lot, I have missed this one !!

By the way, to get the right name for material/shader:

in Unity editor itself, assets->PartTools->Shaders, properties (may be on the right side): "<name> Texture: <the name here>", is the one to use.

(in my case I have: _Emissive Texture: _Emissive), both before and after "Texture:" seems to always be the same so any of them could be use.

This should be added to your google document (maybe just the list, as it will not change soon enough I guess)

You can edit the shader in some cases to find out. The unity inspector tends to add space where they shouldn't be, so it might show up as "_Bump Map" if its real name is "_BumpMap", and similar silliness.

Not really, no. I can't help if other mods reach into my parts and assume some things to be true or not. If that code looked at the current state of the part's resources instead of the stuff stored in the cfg's nodes, I assume it would not be an issue.

I´m sorry, I must have expressed myself badly:(

Our code does look at the resource node on the part and changes that while the vessel is on rails, your code ignores the resource node and overwrites it with a value stored in its own node. That is a pretty big compatibility concern since every mod that does something with resource uses that node and would have to check for your module and change your node instead, and I don't really want to touch your node and break something.

So what I was asking is not to make your mod compatible with ours but make it depend look in the standard resource node when it activates. I understand that is a bit of a hassle in the VAB, because of what the mod does, and I`d be fine if it just had normal behavior in flight.

Edited by Cyrik
a word

I´m sorry, I must have expressed myself badly:(

Our code does look at the resource node on the part and changes that while the vessel is on rails, your code ignores the resource node and overwrites it with a value stored in its own node. That is a pretty big compatibility concern since every mod that does something with resource uses that node and would have to check for your module and change your node instead, and I don't really want to touch your node and break something.

So what I was asking is not to make your mod compatible with ours but make it depend look in the standard resource node when it activates. I understand that is a bit of a hassle in the VAB, because of what the mod does, and I`d be fine if it just had normal behavior in flight.

It updates the part.Resources list by doing part.Resources.list.Clear(); and part.AddResource(newResourceNode); , currentPart.Resources.UpdateList(); etc

What do you look at to get the resource list?

Edited by Snjo

It updates the part.Resources list by doing part.Resources.list.Clear(); and part.AddResource(newResourceNode); etc

What do you look at to get the resource list?

Yes, that's exactly the problem lines I was talking about. We look at vessel.protoVessel.protoPartSnapshots.resources and change the amount in there if the vessel isn't loaded.

My request to you would be to not just clear the part.Resources.list, but take its value into account when you rebuild the new one. Unless of course I´m doing something wrong by changing the amount in there. I´m new to KSP modding so I´m open to suggestions.

Hi Snjo

is there any thing in Firespitter that requires combination of parts for full function? Propeller directly attached to engine body for functional engine; similar to how KSPI's thermal engines must be directly attached to an reactor for function.

Hi Snjo I was just wondering if you ever planned on an official release of version 7. I've been playing the beta version for a while now with great success. i even managed to build a functioning helicopter that doesn't immediately crash and burn within a hundred meters! I love your work, just wanted to ask what's going on?

Yes, that's exactly the problem lines I was talking about. We look at vessel.protoVessel.protoPartSnapshots.resources and change the amount in there if the vessel isn't loaded.

My request to you would be to not just clear the part.Resources.list, but take its value into account when you rebuild the new one. Unless of course I´m doing something wrong by changing the amount in there. I´m new to KSP modding so I´m open to suggestions.

So what are you doing to the found resource nodes in the sleeping part that doesn't work? Even if I've messed with the resource list previously, it should either have no resource nodes, or some other not used nodes. How does your code freak out over that?

Hi Snjo

is there any thing in Firespitter that requires combination of parts for full function? Propeller directly attached to engine body for functional engine; similar to how KSPI's thermal engines must be directly attached to an reactor for function.

Not really, except that you could say the tail rotor, which uses electric charge, requires something that produces a bit of power, like an engine with a generator.

Hi Snjo I was just wondering if you ever planned on an official release of version 7. I've been playing the beta version for a while now with great success. i even managed to build a functioning helicopter that doesn't immediately crash and burn within a hundred meters! I love your work, just wanted to ask what's going on?

I got a bit overwhelmed with simultaneous changes, and some real life time sinks, so progress has been very slow. I still intend to finish it of course, I just need to sort out a lot of minor issues.

Edited by Snjo

So what are you doing to the found resource nodes in the sleeping part that doesn't work? Even if I've messed with the resource list previously, it should either have no resource nodes, or some other not used nodes. How does your code freak out over that?

We are transferring resources from one ship to another, so all it does is change the amounts. FSFuelSwitch ignores that new amount and overwrites it "OnStart" with this : "newResourceNode.AddValue("amount", getResource(resourceCount));" . It basically wipes away the transfer. You can see the effect for yourself by changing the Amount in the save file.

I understand you have to do that in the "(calledByPlayer || brandNewPart)" part of the if, but it would be nice if you didn't wipe it in the else section, so that manipulation of amounts worked while in flight.

Thank you for hearing me out:)

I see that this mod is bundled with PartCatalog - does this mod require it to run? I'm trying to figure out if I can remove it for testing purposes.

PartCatalog is not actually bundled in the Firespitter download. That PartCatalog folder that you see just contains a couple of icons that you can use to represent Firespitter parts in the PartCatalog tabbed navigation. You can safely delete these if you don't use PartCatalog.

I crash on clicking on the Water Launch part in the VAB :(

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/ksp/output_log.txt

Scratch that, newest update has me crashing on clicking on ALL FS parts.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/ksp/output_log%20%284%29.txt

Edited by Jaxx

Please read this:

I have tried the 7.0 pre-release, and enjoyed the procedural engines. However I noticed a mistake, but most certainly not a bug. Radial engines do not have inline exhaust pipes in real life, and most do not have any visible exhaust pipes for example:

F4U_corsair.jpg

Notice how on this F4U Corsair, despite the large, high-power engine, the exhaust is removed through openings covered by flaps.

Another exhaust method for radial engines is common on Japanese late-war planes, like the ki-84 Frank and the improved zeroes (A6M5).

A6M5 Zero:

zero-8a.jpg

In the image, you can see that even though this plane has exhaust pipes, they are not running lengthwise along the plane, they are in a ring around the nose.

However, inline exhaust pipes do exist, and are present in planes with inline or V configuration engines, like the P-40:

Curtiss_P-40B_41-13297_4.jpg

I encourage you to use the inline exhaust pipes for a different engine, but adding them to the radial engine is inaccurate compared to real life.

Is it just me, or is this mod extremely overpowered when using FAR?

I was able to easily fly over 200 m/s using just basic biplane parts, and the customizable prop engine at lowest power config.

I've also noticed that my aircraft tend to roll uncontrollably while trying to take off whenever I try to use any wheels. Quite frustrating. Any tips?

Please read this:

I have tried the 7.0 pre-release, and enjoyed the procedural engines. However I noticed a mistake, but most certainly not a bug. Radial engines do not have inline exhaust pipes in real life, and most do not have any visible exhaust pipes for example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/F4U_corsair.jpg

Notice how on this F4U Corsair, despite the large, high-power engine, the exhaust is removed through openings covered by flaps.

Another exhaust method for radial engines is common on Japanese late-war planes, like the ki-84 Frank and the improved zeroes (A6M5).

A6M5 Zero:

http://www.aviation-history.com/mitsubishi/zero-8a.jpg

In the image, you can see that even though this plane has exhaust pipes, they are not running lengthwise along the plane, they are in a ring around the nose.

However, inline exhaust pipes do exist, and are present in planes with inline or V configuration engines, like the P-40:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Curtiss_P-40B_41-13297_4.jpg

I encourage you to use the inline exhaust pipes for a different engine, but adding them to the radial engine is inaccurate compared to real life.

Yeah, I'm aware that particular design is... controversial. I made it that way to test the code more than anything, so that it would work for increasing layers of greeble.

It's not supposed to be there in the radial when it's all done.

I crash on clicking on the Water Launch part in the VAB :(

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/ksp/output_log.txt

Scratch that, newest update has me crashing on clicking on ALL FS parts.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/ksp/output_log%20%284%29.txt

Well, that's not good!

Unfortunately, when it crashes like that, the log only says "Crash!", with no further usable info. If there are any particular steps to reproduce, let me know.

Also, if you are using x64, all bets are off, try using x86.

Snjo, any chance we could get a 1.25m version of the FS1ENE or is there something that can be done with the FS1PRE.

Tweakscale butchers the TWR when used on the FS1ENE :/

This just makes it into EVE orbit, I want to try a larger version of the craft and see if I get any extra DV from going big.

ol6Btwt.png

Edited by Donziboy2

Is it just me, or is this mod extremely overpowered when using FAR?

I was able to easily fly over 200 m/s using just basic biplane parts, and the customizable prop engine at lowest power config.

I've also noticed that my aircraft tend to roll uncontrollably while trying to take off whenever I try to use any wheels. Quite frustrating. Any tips?

FAR get rid of mass-get-drag stock aero, so light plane may generate less drag with it (try also stockdragfix plug-in as comparison if you can).

For the control issue, best to take a look at FAR wiki and this great Keptin's tutorial.

Snjo, any chance we could get a 1.25m version of the FS1ENE or is there something that can be done with the FS1PRE.

Tweakscale butchers the TWR when used on the FS1ENE :/

This is not a Firespitter but a Tweakscale issue, concerning all engines. Per default mass multiplies with scale^3 and thrust with scale^2. A fix would be to set the scale exponent for mass to 2 for engine parts. Here is a way to do it on a per-part basis:

To make this work, just put "TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS { mass = 2 }" inside the TweakScale module in your config, I think.

This is not a Firespitter but a Tweakscale issue, concerning all engines. Per default mass multiplies with scale^3 and thrust with scale^2. A fix would be to set the scale exponent for mass to 2 for engine parts. Here is a way to do it on a per-part basis:

This means it's better to scale down engines rather than scale up, FWIW.

I tried the TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS on the Tweakscale config for Firespitter, it does not seem to work. No matter what I set the masses to it always scales the same.

God this game needs an easier way to tell us when mods are out of date....

Edited by Donziboy2

I'm also still fighting. The following change in Gamedata/TweakScale/Squad_Tweakscale.cfg works for me (only the TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS is new). Scaling the Aerospike up now gives it 4x the mass, with 4x the thrust.

@PART[toroidalAerospike] // Toroidal Aerospike Rocket
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.25
TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS { mass = 2 }
}
}

But I can't get a moduleManager Patch to work. From what I know, it should look something like this:

Edit: finally, more similar than I thought. So I need to create a TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS member instead of trying to modify an existig one.

@PART[turboFanEngine]:Final
{
@MODULE[TweakScale]
{
TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS { mass = 2 }
}
}

Edited by pellinor0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.