Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

Good to hear, I thought you had vanished from the community Snjo! Firespitter remains one of my key mods, and not just the dll! I love your procedural prop engines and helicopter engines! I spend more time building stunt planes and helicopters at times with your parts than rockets!

Well, I haven't played KSP in a long time, but I don't want everything to break :)

Now that there's mining and new aero, I'll have to take another look.

Well, I haven't played KSP in a long time, but I don't want everything to break :)

Now that there's mining and new aero, I'll have to take another look.

It's great to hear you haven't disappeared. Count me among the people obsessed with the props and rotors. Couldn't have built my osprey without your parts. And now that 1.0 is upon us we are left rotor-less once again.

It's great to hear you haven't disappeared. Count me among the people obsessed with the props and rotors. Couldn't have built my osprey without your parts. And now that 1.0 is upon us we are left rotor-less once again.

Until Snjo releases a fix, you can get Firespitter to work as is in the meantime by opening the debug menu in the VAB or SPH (alt-F12) and turning on non-strict part orientation checks. no issues that I've seen otherwise, aside from the fact that the Mk1 shaped propellers and helicopter rotors are in the fuel tank tab.

@Snjo, so good to hear this mod will get an official fix. I love building planes, and Firespitter lets some really true to life replicas be built in KSP.

I have one hopefully quick question that is not answered in the Module documentation. Redarding FStextureSwitch and FStextureSwitch2, Does FStextureSwitch still function, and would it make sense to use it because it is simpler? - FStextureSwitch2 has way more variables, none of which I need (and most of which I don't understand such as objectName - I want to replace the whole part's texture, not a section of it...) A well deserved rep to whoever answers with a useful answer. :)

If you want to know what it is that I'm using this module for, check out this texture pack.

- Thanks for the read,

Avera9eJoe ^-^

EDIT: The config isn't showing up in game. Here's the code I currently have implemented in my test piece:

}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleControlSurface
useInternalDragModel = True
dragCoeff = 0.5
deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.4 // ~1,4m^2
ctrlSurfaceRange = 15
ctrlSurfaceArea = 1
actuatorSpeed = 30
transformName = ctrlSrf
}
}
MODULE
{
name = FStextureSwitch
displayName = Alt. Textures.
showListButton = false
moduleID = advancedCanard
switchableInFlight = False
debugMode = False

// a list of textures, matching their names in the GameDatabase
textures
{
name = SPPCC/Parts/Aero/airplaneFins/advancedCanardDark1
name = SPPCC/Parts/Aero/airplaneFins/advancedCanardDark2
}
objects
{
name = noseartplate
}
additionalMap
{
name = Firespitter/Parts/Command/FS_bomberCockpit/normalPlain
name = Firespitter/Parts/Command/FS_bomberCockpit/normalPlain
name = Firespitter/Parts/Command/FS_bomberCockpit/normalBlahBlah
}
additionalMapType = _BumpMap
mapIsNormal = false
}

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I have one hopefully quick question that is not answered in the Module documentation. Redarding FStextureSwitch and FStextureSwitch2, Does FStextureSwitch still function, and would it make sense to use it because it is simpler? - FStextureSwitch2 has way more variables, none of which I need (and most of which I don't understand such as objectName - I want to replace the whole part's texture, not a section of it...) A well deserved rep to whoever answers with a useful answer. :)

AFAIK, FStextureSwitch has been deprecated, and has been replaced by FStextureSwitch2.

The objectName parameter is where you list the names of the meshes that you want to change the appearance of (many parts are made up of several, named submeshes to make it easier for modellers to model); if you want the whole part to be changed, you need to find out the name of each and every submesh*.

*To do this, add a FStextureSwitch2 PartModule to the part and set both debugMode and showListButton to true; after loading your part in the VAB/SPH editor scene, open up the KSP Debug log window (Alt-F2 or Alt-F12), then press List Objects in the part's right-click context menu. Write the the names of all the meshes found for that part

Once you have your list, I can help you write the actual CFG.

Any chance of a distributed .zip file for the recompiled firespitter.dll? I can mention a few people that would be extremely happy (read: The entire CKAN community).

the plugin is available for download from github, the direct link to it is always https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/blob/master/For%20release/Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter.dll?raw=true, but you can also use the Download Plugin button on http://snjo.github.io/

I wouldn't base too much off of it until people have chimed in on how broken or not it is. As I said, I only had time to take off with an old plane, thereby testing:

-wing lift and control surfaces

-wheel code

-sound playback

-propellers

Other parts are likely OK, but you never know. I'm going away for the weekend, so I'll have to test more after that.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there's any particular reason the old module shouldn't work. I kept it around for legacy support reasons, but I haven't made any changes or used it since creating FStextureSwitch2. The newer module probably handles symmetry etc way better, aside from all the other features. It was deprecated instead of replaced since the cfg layout for it was completely different, which would have caused a lot of issues.

the plugin is available for download from github, the direct link to it is always https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/blob/master/For%20release/Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter.dll?raw=true, but you can also use the Download Plugin button on http://snjo.github.io/

I wouldn't base too much off of it until people have chimed in on how broken or not it is. As I said, I only had time to take off with an old plane, thereby testing:

-wing lift and control surfaces

-wheel code

-sound playback

-propellers

Other parts are likely OK, but you never know. I'm going away for the weekend, so I'll have to test more after that.

Yes I know the latest version is there but CKAN cannot handle a direct download a .dll but requires a .zip hence my asking for such a file. Our currently indexed version isn't working on 1.0. Is the latest compile of the .dll available in the 6.3.5 version of the firespitter package? If so I can index it from there.

EDIT: More and more people are telling me it does indeed work (for most (all?) intents and purposes) but it gives an error on startup which part of the userbase understands and ignores while other parts report it as broken beyond belief. Either way I can't wait for a new release :D

Edited by Dazpoet

I've done a quick build for KSP 1.0, get the plugin in the usual place. Haven't had the chance to test anything more that prop spin, sounds and wing lift, but it's promising. It's possible drag changes in the main game will mean some retweaking of planes, but I only tested it via RDP with unreliable key inputs.

I took a break from KSP after .24, has anything major changed in the Parts for firespitter since then?

RoverDude seems to be everywhere. Two questions, sort of related:

Can I use CKAN along with the KSP Mod Admin program?

Should I be concerned that AVC is telling me that I'm on version 7.0 of Firespitter and 7.1 is available? I can't seem to locate 7.1 anywhere.

RoverDude seems to be everywhere. Two questions, sort of related:

Should I be concerned that AVC is telling me that I'm on version 7.0 of Firespitter and 7.1 is available? I can't seem to locate 7.1 anywhere.

Not sure on the first, I'll sort the second :)

Questions like these belong in the CKAN thread, don't hassle mod authors with them. On a related note, I have absolutly no idea and recommend the TIAS approach.

Ok - I put up the release for 7.1 with KSP 1.0.2 compatibility. All works in my playthroughs, but ping if there are issues and I'll happily lend a hand in sorting them.

This is an incredibly awesome mod (it's one of the first things I drop in any new install, even beyond my dependency on it's plugin), and I'm happy to lend Snjo a hand in keeping it current for everyone :)

Wow. thanks for updating RoverDude..and thanks for letting him Snjo =P

So...was joking awhile back ago when I said RoverDude is cyborg made to fabricate mods...kinda starting to think it was not a joke....

So those movies had it all wrong....the Terminators are gonna be coming out of Mexico, not California...who saw that coming?!?

Ok - I put up the release for 7.1 with KSP 1.0.2 compatibility. All works in my playthroughs, but ping if there are issues and I'll happily lend a hand in sorting them.

This is an incredibly awesome mod (it's one of the first things I drop in any new install, even beyond my dependency on it's plugin), and I'm happy to lend Snjo a hand in keeping it current for everyone :)

Nice save :).

I hope karma actually works as you are one of the few people I know deserving of its rewards instead of payback :).

EDIT: Link?

EDIT 2: Never mind, finally found it on github:

https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/releases/tag/v7.1

Edited by Geschosskopf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.