Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

On 3/23/2018 at 4:17 PM, DAS The Washing Up Powder said:

I install the craft built the bi plane like in the video but it just flipped around and crash

I believe most of the mod hasn't changed in 2 years since @Snjo was more active.  There's been a lot of changes in KSP since then.  Aerodynamics and wheels have changed a lot.  Because of this, as others have mentioned, the wheels should not be used and the engines are likely overpowered.  Until such time as the parts are addressed, I'd suggest finding currently support parts instead.

For the sake of the Firespitter plugin .dll which a large number of other mods depend on, @RoverDude has been giving of his free time and keeping that up to date.  He's a busy dude but I'm sure he'll get to addressing that as soon as he can.  Please be patient.

For those players who can cautiously handle versions that may still be in development, the Github repository has a KSP 1.4.1 version of Firespitter.dll here, currently dated 2018 Mar 19:

https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/tree/master/For release/Firespitter/Plugins

Take care when using this.

On 3/25/2018 at 2:24 AM, Jacke said:

I believe most of the mod hasn't changed in 2 years since @Snjo was more active.  There's been a lot of changes in KSP since then.  Aerodynamics and wheels have changed a lot.  Because of this, as others have mentioned, the wheels should not be used and the engines are likely overpowered.  Until such time as the parts are addressed, I'd suggest finding currently support parts instead.

For the sake of the Firespitter plugin .dll which a large number of other mods depend on, @RoverDude has been giving of his free time and keeping that up to date.  He's a busy dude but I'm sure he'll get to addressing that as soon as he can.  Please be patient.

For those players who can cautiously handle versions that may still be in development, the Github repository has a KSP 1.4.1 version of Firespitter.dll here, currently dated 2018 Mar 19:

https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/tree/master/For release/Firespitter/Plugins

Take care when using this.

Would it be time to consider some kind of unofficial patch? Several of the bigger mods like this have seen this treatment in the past when the original creator has decided to discontinue their own efforts, with the idea that if they came back to reclaim it, the reigns would be handed back to the original dev, no questions asked.

1 minute ago, elanachan said:

Would it be time to consider some kind of unofficial patch? Several of the bigger mods like this have seen this treatment in the past when the original creator has decided to discontinue their own efforts, with the idea that if they came back to reclaim it, the reigns would be handed back to the original dev, no questions asked.

That's... kinda what is going on already here...

The DLL is always the top priority.  For parts, feel free to send pull requests until I have time to redo them :P

Were the engines considered to be overpowered in 1.2.2? I built an extremely stable push-pull amphibious plane during that patch, which I was considering trying to bring forward into 1.4.1 as soon as all of the parts become available again, but if the engines should be weaker than they were during that version, chances are the plane won't be flyable anymore.

MI%20DualHull%20SeaL%206-S_zps4emnq7wv.p

Edited by elanachan
Craft in question

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

how do I get a firespitter animated mod to start in a certain position it always starts in the open position when i would prefer the closed position

Your own part or someone else's part?

The mini pup tent from VenStock revamp it wasnt working with the standard squad command but when i changed it to firespiter command i could get it to inflate and deflate but its default appears to be open so was enquiring whether there is a config line I should be adding to revert to default closed, it could be a side effect from not using the ModuleAnimateGeneric. Appreciate the help but if its taking you away from stuff you can ignore, quick question for you will you be re-instating transparent windows for the AES mod again

Edited by Virtualgenius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, i made 10t aircraft to fly in Titan atmosphere (where gravity is nearly 1/7 of Earth's/Kerbin's), i used FS1FPE folding electric propeller and feed it with Fuel Cell Array and feeding Fuel Cell Array with 540 liquid fuel and 660 oxidizer.. It appears that aircraft has more than 1500km range, i don't think it's ever possible in real life. Is that possible to add a turbo-diesel engine into the mod that would use liquid fuel and oxidizer from the fuel tank, instead of "air intake"? 

Edited by oguz

3 hours ago, oguz said:

Hi, i made 10t aircraft to fly in Titan atmosphere (where gravity is nearly 1/7 of Earth's/Kerbin's), i used FS1FPE folding electric propeller and feed it with Fuel Cell Array and feeding Fuel Cell Array with 540 liquid fuel and 660 oxidizer.. It appears that aircraft has more than 1500km range, i don't think it's ever possible in real life. Is that possible to add a turbo-diesel engine into the mod that would use liquid fuel and oxidizer from the fuel tank, instead of "air intake"? 

What you are describing is a rocket ;)

Just now, RoverDude said:

What you are describing is a rocket ;)

Nooo, rocket engine is not efficient in dense atmosphere, but turbo-diesel propellers are more efficient in dense atmosphere and low gravity places. For example MQ1-Reaper:

avenger_10-2.jpg?ssl=1

It uses Rotax 914 turbo diesel engine, uses fuel and air intake. It can stay in air more than 20 hours, with huge range. I want to use my 10t aircraft on Titan as an airline between different bases. What i ask is, a turbo diesel engine being fed with oxidizer instead of air intake :P Currently all turbo diesel engines in this mod uses air intake. Perheps i can do such edit myself too but i don't know what kind of liquid fuel and oxidizer consuption would be realistic on which propeller..

Rocket's working style is sooo different than diesel engines, turbo diesel engines also consume oxidizer, but they get oxygen from atmosphere to burn the fuel in cylinders, they are not rocketsss :D  what i asked was that an isolated engine from atmosphere which would use liquid oxygen from the fuel tank instead of taking oxidizer from tha atmosphere.

Btw i made a small edit in cfg files for folding propeller, if anyone else want to use same type of engine i didn't touch engine's power and i took it's fuel consuption as 0.03, and i took it's oxidizer from the fuel tank consuption 0.0366 to make it proportional so they will be finished at the same time. Code i changed is;

useVelocityCurve = True
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		ratio = 0.03
		DrawGauge = True
	}
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = Oxidizer
		ratio = 0.0366
	}

didn't touch the rest. I took rotax912 turbo diesel engine as equivalent example engine for fuel consuption rate.

2 hours ago, oguz said:

turbo diesel engines also consume oxidizer, but they get oxygen from atmosphere to burn the fuel in cylinders,

This is ridiculously wrong, but it looks like you sorted what you want to so moot point.

7 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

This is ridiculously wrong, but it looks like you sorted what you want to so moot point.

Nope. Oxidizer is a oxidant that oxidize the ignitable fuel. All kind of engines that use any kind of hydrocarbons use oxidizer. Any kind. Let it be;

- Diesel engine

- Turboprop engine

- Turbofan engine

- Rocket engine

Only the source of oxidizer changes. Not all engines that use oxidizer and the hydrocarbon fuel to be ignited are "rocket engines" :D You can very well feed diesel engines in a vacuum environment with liquid oxygen tank and it would just work well after necessery modifications.

Again; an engine that uses hydrocarbon+oxidizer does not mean it is a rocket engine.

Edited by oguz

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 5:46 AM, RoverDude said:

That's a rocket.

No, that is not a rocket ... That is an internal combustion engine ... HUGE difference

The user is asking for the ability to use the props in an atmo that has no oxygen by replacing the oxygen requirement for the engines with oxidizer

Thought you would have picked up on that :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.