Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

On 12/25/2018 at 3:35 AM, Murican_Jeb said:

For those very very curious people wondering, firespitter does work beautifully in 1.6. Huzzah, we can still fly our wonderful flying machines!

Literally what I came here to ask, thanks for the good news! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a recommendation/request for prop engines:
     How about adding an option for counter-rotation on multi-engine propeller aircraft? There is already an option to reverse spin in the engine options, but that also reverses thrust. The torque created by two props spinning in the same direction can often unbalance or negatively affect flight characteristics on many of the builds I attempt. Especially with more than two propellers.  I know this is an old, old, old problem going back before the P-38 Lightning. And I understand that there's a vast difference between a real-world solution and coding a mod; but it seems like a sensible fix to a problem I continually encounter.

Perhaps it could/would/should be linked to the mirrored symmetry option,  just a simple "counter-rotate on/off" button available when engine are mirrored.  Perhaps a sub-option for selecting inward spin and outward spin?

Has anyone else had this problem? How complicated would this be? Or is this already a thing that I've just totally overlooked?

Any advice, or info is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not having that issue specifically, but for awhile now some of my propeller engines (its only the engines that calculate engine power in hp ratio instead of flat k/n) dont seem to produce nearly as much thrust as they rightly should. 

Not the same problem, but perhaps they could be related?

Kinda thought i was imaging it till now.

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2019 at 7:27 PM, Modding Maniac said:

Im having a few issues, the control surfaces seem to have nearly no effect anymore, planes always spawn around 500 meters in the air and when i turn SAS on the plane freaks out, is there a fix for this?

The Jumping Jack Event has two known causes (at least, to me), just one of them specific to Firespitter (I have them on some other Add'Ons):

1) Some key vertices below the ground colliders at launch (animated parts need a pivot to move around it, and some old parts choose to put that pivot on a collision course with the ground). Really old parts, even by being not animated, algo cause this (I have a tank on Impossible Innovations with this). The funny thing is that after the Event, you can land the thing normally and everything works fine from now on.

2) Parts using the wheels module from Firespitter. There's something on that module that also triggers this problem. This is probably an easy fix once the cause is located on the code - but also, the hardest to locate the cause, as it probably some collateral effect from something else (probably unrelated) happening on the code.

I made some interim tests on the FS wheels, and some of them worked fine after I migrated them to use the stock wheel module. So, IMHO, fixing the Firespitter's wheel module is the way to go. It will solve the most Jumping Jack Events for the most people at one single shot.

Edited by Lisias
tasting my own medicine :)

On 1/27/2019 at 4:27 PM, Modding Maniac said:

planes always spawn around 500 meters in the air

I have this issue as well. Whenever i use firespitter parts my vehicle spawns 1068 meters above the runway which in itself is annoying. But when i try to land,shortly after the wheels touch the touch i get catapulted away like the runway is a super trampoline.

1 hour ago, Shizen said:

I have this issue as well. Whenever i use firespitter parts my vehicle spawns 1068 meters above the runway which in itself is annoying. But when i try to land,shortly after the wheels touch the touch i get catapulted away like the runway is a super trampoline.

This is a new for me. Can you share with me an craft that does that?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, @RoverDude.

I fixed the missing bulkheadProfiles on Firespitter's parts (I hope I choose the right ones on every part!). Made a pull request here: https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/pull/210

Thx!

— post edit —

I reissued the pull request against the branch DEVELOPMENT as requested.

Edited by Lisias
post edit

On 3/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, Shizen said:

This is a stock bug, I guess... or, collider/bad part origins, especially on animated parts can trigger it...
Try installing World Stabilizer

On 5/19/2019 at 6:52 AM, Stone Blue said:

This is a stock bug, I guess... or, collider/bad part origins, especially on animated parts can trigger it...

More likely interaction between latest KSP and parts with colliders that were made for very early Unity/KSP version and part 3D meshes/configs not being updated. While some parts works without any issues at all, some produce unexpected results. Especialy when comes to wheels, those things were reinvented in KSP more times than it was in human history. Can't blame Roverdude, he already have way too much stuff on his "to do" list, I'm grateful for maintaining plugin alone, that is used in many other mods.

Bugs like that prevented me to using firespitter parts, no matter how much I like them. You never know if there is some kraken food leftover in them or not.
Is it only issue with wheels or some other issue exist too. IIRC part that allow you to use different launching points (cool stuff and idea) was causing massive explosions too. Haven't tried them lately, so take this with grain of salt.
Maybe some day if I ever finish any career game in KSP I would try firespitter parts again, but unfortunately have to put them on hiatus for undefined time.

Edited by kcs123
typo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @RoverDude

I'm trying some changes as proposed here on the Principia thread. Some guys are getting trouble using Firespitter on Principia due it still using Rigibody.Part.AddForceAtPosition, instead of the Part one (something about allowing modules to inspect the forces being applied).

I applied the @eggrobin suggested fixes and I'm using it for some hours without problems - but I didn't tried Principia yet, so I can't say for sure if this is enough. However, with newer modules using Part.AddForceAtPosition nowadays, I think that this hardly would be a bad move.

https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/pull/211

Spoiler

Please check also my previous one, with the bulkhead profiles fix!

https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/pull/210

And yes, I was cautious this time. No garbage on the pull requests. :)

— POST EDIT — 

The pull requests were reissued against the branch DEVELOPMENT as requested.

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Dux Aquila said:

3 files (Firespitter v7.130, Firespitter Core v7.13.0 and Firespitter Resources config v7.13.0) pointing to the same source, if you select Firespitter for the whole modit installs you as dependencies the other two.

I don't understand  :(

• Firespitter v7.130 - mod that contains parts for craft, like wings, fuselages engines and such
  • Firespitter Core v7.13.0 - DLL library that other mods also use for their part packs, but you don't need parts from Firespitter
  • Resources config v7.13.0 - config files that some parts needs along with core DLL plugin to work properly (engines mostly, as much as I'm aware)

All of those are packe in same zip file, CKAN automatically install plugin and resource files if some mod require it as dependency. Otherwise, you can choose what to install manually whatever you need, Firespitter part pack or only plugin that is required by some other mod.

It's not a bit early to target KSP 1.7.4 ? :P 

"NAME": "Firespitter",
  "URL": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/snjo/Firespitter/master/For%20release/Firespitter/Firespitter.version",
  "VERSION": {
    "MAJOR": 7,
    "MINOR": 13,
    "PATCH": 0
  },
     "KSP_VERSION":{
         "MAJOR":1,
         "MINOR":7,
         "PATCH":4
     },

(excerpt from the Firespitter.version from the most recent download here)

40 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It's not a bit early to target KSP 1.7.4 ? :P 

Could be, but Roverdude also have some "top secret" insight information, so it might not be too early :D. Might be fixed itself if KSP 1.7.4 is released sooner than version file fix :).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.