Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

This was a great way to take a break from my struggles with the textures on my airship. Behold!

Still amazingly easy to fly!

But seriously, all my textures are messed up. Is it a Part Tools problem?

I gots to try that :)

Are you using mbm textures or png. I use png.

Are you naming your textures in the cfg? Don't do that.

Did you draw them with crayons? Or are they messed up in some other way?

Yay!

Finally :)

Enjoying this a lot, so many parts to build with

There's one problem, though.

After I've installed this mod sometimes when I click "End Flight" it gives out the classic "Oopss!", the game crashes.

Oh no! Can you give me steps to replicate it?

What parts did you use, and how?

Are you using mbm textures or png. I use png.

Are you naming your textures in the cfg? Don't do that.

Did you draw them with crayons? Or are they messed up in some other way?

PNG, not converting the textures seems to make them completely disappear. Converting does this...

okZ1Awx.jpg

It's like diffuse is completely broken.

Oh no! Can you give me steps to replicate it?

What parts did you use, and how?

Not sure exactly, it crashed with a heli (using apache cockpit, oblong fuel tank, oblong tail, and medium sized, non-eletrical main rotor and no fin tail rotor and apache landing gear)

and with a jet (using oblong tail jet engine, oblong fuel tank, fighter cockpit, gyroscope, oblong air intake, fighter landing gear, tail gear)

Also, the game can't seem to recognize "Example Craft" in "GameData/Firespitter"

I would recommend to have it in the same level as "GameData" with the name of "Ships", but I'm not the modder so I might be completely wrong.

Edited by cesarcurado

Also, the game can't seem to recognize "Example Craft" in "GameData/Firespitter"

I would recommend to have it in the same level as "GameData" with the name of "Ships", but I'm not the modder so I might be completely wrong.

They won't be recognized either.

Example crafts have to be in the root /Ships directory of the main KSP folder to work.

They won't be recognized either.

Example crafts have to be in the root /Ships directory of the main KSP folder to work.

Yea, that's what I meant

In SPH, which is in Ships

I'm not new to this, even though being new to the forum :)

Not sure exactly, it crashed with a heli (using apache cockpit, oblong fuel tank, oblong tail, and medium sized, non-eletrical main rotor and no fin tail rotor and apache landing gear)

and with a jet (using oblong tail jet engine, oblong fuel tank, fighter cockpit, gyroscope, oblong air intake, fighter landing gear, tail gear)

None of those parts do anything new I think. I just corrected a wheel collider bug that threw some errors, but I doubt that would be it.

About the example craft, putting them in a Ships folder was my first attempt, it didn't get included in the list.

I don't like having my craft list cluttered by stuff I didn't make if I install a mod, so I 'd rather you move them from example craft to the stock or save/ships folder yourself.

Also moving them outside the GamaData folder seems silly now that we've got this nice tidy way to get rid of a whole mod.

There's no reason engine sounds shouldn't work on Mac now, since I now load the sounds directly from the games database in a new way.

If a mac user can test it and report back, I'd appreciate it.

I'll fire up linux to test that myself.

Hi there, Mac user here and a first time install. The parts look great and i'm excited to use them :wink:, but there's neither sound nor animation nor extra part commands. ;.;

Am I doing something wrong with the Source folder or something? I still can't figure out where to put that.

Hi there, Mac user here and a first time install. The parts look great and i'm excited to use them :wink:, but there's neither sound nor animation nor extra part commands. ;.;

Am I doing something wrong with the Source folder or something? I still can't figure out where to put that.

There's no need to find the right place for the folder. Just put the Firespitter folder in the GameData folder alongside the Squad folder.

If you have no parts actions or sounds, that means you did it all too manually, and lost the plugin and sounds folder in the process.

Check the guide for more info

I've made a new module to replace the stock moduleAnimateGeneric, which can have EVA actions, start in the deployed state, custom animation speed,, and can handle more than one animation on a part, which was a problem.

As part of that I made a hangar UI toggle for the start state, and then adapted that for my engines as well, which is very good news for people building push props.

You can now set the direction the prop is pushing while in the hangar action editor, so you won't need to remember it after you launch:

9J5wG3k.png

edit:

pre-release with these features

v5.1 pre-release

-Fuel drop Tank

-The Electric helicopter rotor can now start deployed (by using the action editor popup in the hangar)

-Engines with reverse thrust capabilities can now set default state in the hangar action editor

-FSanimateGeneric, replacement module for ModuleAnimateGeneric.

(EVA toggle, custom speed, set start state in hangar, multiple animations per part)

-Bug fix: Wheel colliders spamming errors on launch

-Bug fix: GUI parts spamming nullrefs when launching from main menu directly to runway

Edited by Snjo
updated pre-release change list

The Kraken appears to have some sort of grudge on the sea-plane bits.

Whenever I put them into orbit (I was trying to make an electric seaplane for futzing around on eve), they very promptly spaz out, and start flailing all over the place and 'bending' (well, the parts on screen look like they've separated and started moving around with a gap between them, but then they come back together and it repeats) nonstop, which sends the ship tumbling out of control. The parts of the carrying vehicle tear off before they sea-plane bits break up, though.

Additionally, any vehicle that is based on the sea-plane pontoon wheels (I was trying to roll a rocket-powered catamaran thing into the ocean at the end of the runway) also seems to have a decent chance of just instantly spazzing out and flailing around as soon as it finishes loading when launched...

Is there any way to fix this, aside from just not using those parts? Smaller things work well, but as I've mentioned, larger ones cause kraken-related issues.

Snjo, I noticed FSanimateGeneric doesn't override the autoplay tag of an animation like the stock one does.

Is this intentional?

Also, the action group editor deploy toggle window gets very confused when there's more than one FSanimateGeneric module on the part, like on the B9 Crew Cabins.

Edited by Taverius

Eva toggle:d wow you keep on adding sweet stuff! Would it be possible to make an engine that you can activate and add/decrease thrust?;) cheers

What are you making?!?

The Kraken appears to have some sort of grudge on the sea-plane bits.

(...)

Maybe it's the fact that they have infinite node strength. I'll have to test that out with different values.

Snjo, I noticed FSanimateGeneric doesn't override the autoplay tag of an animation like the stock one does.

Is this intentional?

No. So what does the stock one do, in combination with what setting in unity?

Does it play too much, or too little?

No. So what does the stock one do, in combination with what setting in unity?

Does it play too much, or too little?

Basically what the Unity animation component does is it checks to see if playAutomatically is true or false; if true, it will play the animation as soon as the object starts existing. If you don't manually set it to false in Unity, then you'll have to override it via code in the plugin.

It's an easy fix, just take a look at this: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Animation-playAutomatically.html

Edited by OrbitusII
the animator component is different from the animation component

Well, the weird thing is, I actually do tell the clip to run as soon as it launches, just in the opposite direction of what you would think, or at 0 speed, so it really shouldn't matter.

(that's just to get it in the same position as it was when the game saved the craft)

So you are overriding it, but you're also not overriding it? I might try saving the current time of the clip (in AnimationState) with public override void OnSave() and then loading that with OnLoad() in conjunction with setting playAutomatically to false in OnStart; It should have a similar effect with less weirdness.

Edit:

Here's more reference pages:

Animation

AnimationState

Edited by OrbitusII
clarified

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.