Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

whats with the double wingtips? do you really get enough extra lift with them being so close like that?

You are under the illusion that there is any aerodynamic calculations going on at all, except, "Hey, I'm supposedly a wing, or so I'm told, and I'm heading forwards with some angle, lift me, bro!"

You'd need a whole other method to do more than that, like using some of that re-entry effect lighting calculation magic to determine what surfaces are towards the airflow to get more correct.

The double wings are a leftover from the heavy lift/ Duna K-17 I based it on. (Helps with shorter takeoff and landings)

Very little (I.e. none) calculations went into lift or drag or any of that, this one was all for style.

Flys really well though.

Edited by MrIronMoose
Cleanup

Just tested it without the double wing and it still flies fine.

Is there actual aerodynamic modeling in KSP?

After seeing some spaceplanes that seemed to be just big wads of wings, I was under the impression that it was more of a "i am a wing and no matter what i produce lift at a specific angle" type of thing.

Is there actual aerodynamic modeling in KSP?

After seeing some spaceplanes that seemed to be just big wads of wings, I was under the impression that it was more of a "i am a wing and no matter what i produce lift at a specific angle" type of thing.

Their might be a mod with aerodynamics, but it is pretty much just lift at an angle. There are designs that "fly forever" due to this oddity.

I'm sorry if anyone already made this question but, since the props use intake air as resource, then they wouldn´t work at eve or duna right? Isn´t it possible to make the engine efficiency/thrust related to the atmosphere pressure/alttitude in the game so it woud work in any plannet with actual atmosphere and only eletrical charge as resource?

Unless I've forgotten something, they should alll work in other atmospheres. I turned off the requirement for oxygen.

Mach56, I've been experimenting too much to get started on that yet.

Yesterday Infinitedice and I made something hugely useful, a way to spawn in the water beyond the runway.

I you have built a boat or seaplane, and don't want to start on the runway, you just attach a small part (with the boat parts it's integrated in the con tower), and then choose to turn the ocean starting position on or off. When you launch, you are already there, but due to some crazy stuff, you need to just press quicksave and quickload to get wings working.

It's all in the pre-release plus experiments file. That, and the trim adjustment tool.

QHbcomK.png6lWGBsG.png

Edited by Snjo

The wings aren't responding keyboard commands and the FS1EN is using electric charges instead of liquidfuel

Edit : If i toggle and un-toggle lock in each wing and aerodynamic part they start responding, even if they are working the plane just keeps going to the right no matter what i press.

Edited by Setmaster

The wings aren't responding keyboard commands and the FS1EN is using electric charges instead of liquidfuel

Edit : If i toggle and un-toggle lock in each wing and aerodynamic part they start responding, even if they are working the plane just keeps going to the right no matter what i press.

None of that seems right to me. Make sure you installed it correctly. Check the guide, and use 0.20.2.

If a wheel, like the tail gear, is retracted, the wheel collider shuts down, and it doesn't roll (I plan to fix this). In that case you will get severe pull to one side.

None of that seems right to me. Make sure you installed it correctly. Check the guide, and use 0.20.2.

If a wheel, like the tail gear, is retracted, the wheel collider shuts down, and it doesn't roll (I plan to fix this). In that case you will get severe pull to one side.

Re-installed the mod, everything seems good now, but the wings/aero parts don't move unless I toggle lock and un-toggle each of them, they work but don't show the animation.

The wings use the default control surface module, like the stock parts. The extra module on there to lock or alter the rotation ability doesn't do anything that could lock it down, unless you are always reloading the same craft from a save, which you locked in an earlier flight session with it.

Try making a new craft with some wings, and some of the stock tail winglets. If only mine fail, I'd be very surprised.

Now, if this is happening while using the experimental Move-to-water part, a lockup is expected, and you will need to quick save and quick load to get the wings working.

Ran into a slight bug last night.

The electric powered helicopter main rotor spins in the retracted position only. Deploy them and the engine shuts down and will remain off until they are retracted again. I tried setting the deployed and retract positions in the building cycle, but the same results. Sounds like the activate/toggle and retract/deploy logic check values just need to be adjusted.

Hello, I'm having problems with airbrakes (from B9, but using the Firespitter plugin). With airbrakes on the back upper surface of the wing at a 30 or 45 degree angle, you'd expect them to act as elevators, pitching up. Instead, they pitch the plane down (with FAR at least). I think this has to do with the fact the plugin works by altering the drag of the part, rather than taking into account the angle of deflection, like a control surface. The modeling could be more accurate if implemented as a control surface that toggles by action group instead of the usual attitude inputs. The verisimilitude could alternatively be improved by trickery with the model's scene coordinates so that it considers the part's forward direction to be perpendicular to the plate of the airbrake in the deployed position. However, I'm not sure this method would account for Newton's 3rd law on the deflected air as the control surface method would.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.