Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

Okay. I removed and re-added modules one by one and this is what I've come up with;

It's the monitors that are causing it. Removing this from the config fixed it entirely:

PROP
{
name = FSpropMonitor
position = 0.0770883, 0.2781512, 0.03976781
rotation = 0, 0, 0, 1
scale = 1, 1, 1
}
PROP
{
name = FSpropMonitor
position = -0.07708862, 0.2781514, 0.03976811
rotation = 0, 0, 4.371139E-08, 1
scale = 1, 1, 1
}
PROP
{
name = FSpropMonitor
position = -0.07710536, 0.1176241, -0.6964607
scale = 1, 1, 1
}
PROP
{
name = FSpropMonitor
position = 0.07708815, 0.1176241, -0.6964607
scale = 1, 1, 1
}

I went back and added just one at a time, and each individually causes a small FPS drop in the cycling batches, but not nearly as bad as it was when all four were active. I went into the B9 configs and found the exact same thing in the Mk2 cockpit, though he had your interface buried beneath a couple skinning layers.

When I removed the monitor module from that cockpit, the lag vanished there as well. So Something in your monitors does not like something in those two meshes, yet it plays nice with everything else. I hope this helps narrow down the search some.

Thanks to Tanya Sapien, I have found the cause of the slowdown in the Apache and b9 cockpits with monitors. The problem isn't the code running on it as such, but the fact that the code generates around 400 simple planes to display the letters on the monitor.

400 objects running the transparent shader is simply too much for non-beefy video cards. Sadly this means that there is no easy solution without rewriting the whole thing to do some alternate font magic, which I will need some help from Raz to do.

Finished the Lancaster engines. One with landing gear built in, one without:

bzBJc9s.png

Now onto the rudders for it, which might be interesting symmetry-wise.

Snjo- A response to your post http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24551-Firespitter-propeller-plane-and-helicopter-parts-v5-5-%28August-15th%29-for-KSP-0-21?p=639126&viewfull=1#post639126

Yes- it should create drag when out of atmosphere (think magnetic braking), and act as an intake only when there is no atmosphere (or in the atmosphere of planets that could be named in the CFG. Ideally this drag should be able to be toggled (in case you want to save a craft that is collecting material), but it should also give significantly reduced material intake when that is activated.

Mekanik, I can't really make that module right now, but I will help you in any way I can, and feel free to steal from my code. It's all at github.com/snjo

There are examples there of many or most of the thing you will need, if you know where to look, which admittedly will not be easy :)

The engine mounts are allowed to collide with other parts, but the engines and wings are not. Is it possible you have it set up so that the engine and wing are in contact, or very close to each other? Default mounting of the engine with the mount on my wings has never been a problem for me, but maybe you have mounted them closer together on those Mark 3 wings?

Hard to say without a craft file. I don't know if this happens for you if you were to load one of the example craft like the K-17.

The Lancaster engines are looking pretty awesome (they would look pretty good on a P-40 style plane too) Are you making a Lancaster cockpit/fuselage sections to go with it? Also, I made a new and improved Interplanetary K-17. It now has all stock parts (except you know... the K-17) and is electric. the embodiment of MOAR BOOSTERS! Currently orbiting Minimus, waiting for a fuel barge. 1173833_552010154847126_1160552496_n.jpg536852_552011384847003_471369636_n.jpg1236525_552010758180399_576448906_n.jpg

Edited by MrIronMoose

It doesn't seem to matter what they are connected to. The K-17 (100% Firespitter parts) does it. The K-4U Korsair does it as well that engine is connected directly to the round to oblong fuselage adapter. I'll experiment with some basic test rigs this evening. It might be FAR or DRE complicating things.

Moose:

Does that cockpit section rotate 90deg's at some point? Looks like your booster and orbit images show it oriented one way and the last image has it oriented another.

Edited by BubbaWilkins

interplanetary bomber....this reminds me of a movie I saw once where a squadron of P-51 Mustangs were fitted with some Sci-Fi gadgetry that defied all physics and allowed them to carry an air bubble with them so they could fly in space, with the goal of killing some bad guy in orbit. I can't remember the name of the movie for the life of me though.

I guess it's the decal, from a distance it has the same proportions as the cockpit. Now that I look closer I see that everything is in order. For some reason I thought you might have turned the cockpit 90degs to prevent collision with the booster tanks, so it seemed a feasible design challenge.

That was Dr. Who, I remember that scene. I think it was the Dalek WWII episode. (not a WHO fanatic, but watch it for my ladyfriend). Snjo, thanks for the compliment. It's "Das Luftwagen" (the flying cart/bus/car), I cut it out of an old VW ad I found on the internet. And Bubba, I see what you mean now, the decal does make it look like the cockpit is sideways. I just used the tall decouplers and generous amounts of bracing, it cleared the cockpit fine.

Edited by MrIronMoose

Hey, now that .22 is getting a sub assembly loader, flinging giant planes into space should be much simpler. Before, I had to build a rocket set up for every variation of plane I launched (took forever to get right). When .22 comes out, I'll just be able to save a small, medium, and large version of each rocket system and slap them on whatever plane I feel like sending into the wild black yonder (*cough* ..Lancaster). I'll definitely be looking forward to that update.

Edited by MrIronMoose

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.