Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

I guess the appropriate question to ask would be "how UN-compatable is it" since some parts of it seem to work just fine, and I haven't had any trouble with any of the mods relying on firespitter.dll

No. Snjo is aware of the .25 update, but is busy. he'll get to it as soon as he can, so just show a bit of gratitude, have a bit of patience, and let the awesome come to you when it can.

Whoa, patronizing much?!? They asked pretty simple straight forward questions. You should've just ended it after the first 'can.'

Whoa, patronizing much?!? They asked pretty simple straight forward questions. You should've just ended it after the first 'can.'

my intention was not to patronize, and i'm sorry it came off that way. i have been answering the exact same question in about 30 threads since the .25 release, so i'm a bit frayed in that area, but i still shouldn't have let that affect our conversation.

Couldn't he at least recompile the plugin, though? Firespitter does work in 0.25 except for the stupid compatibility warning. Really, it shouldn't have been there unless an actual error has been detected. A version number mismatch isn't the enough of a reason to annoy people with popups.

Couldn't he at least recompile the plugin, though? Firespitter does work in 0.25 except for the stupid compatibility warning. Really, it shouldn't have been there unless an actual error has been detected. A version number mismatch isn't the enough of a reason to annoy people with popups.

i'm really not in a position to speculate on how busy Snjo is, or how much effort is required to produce a "quick fix". the rumor running around that Squad's new found space plane love has made several changes to the flight code that affect Firespitter, but i haven't seen that confirmed.

the long and short of it is that the new version will come when it's ready, which, hopefully, will be as soon as Snjo can produce it.

Well, that might be the case for dependencies, but Firespitter does seem to work fine (or at least, the features I tested seem to) aside from the stupid popup. Other plugins might be broken.

i'm really not in a position to speculate on how busy Snjo is, or how much effort is required to produce a "quick fix". the rumor running around that Squad's new found space plane love has made several changes to the flight code that affect Firespitter, but i haven't seen that confirmed.

Will make, not has. None of the changes to the aerodynamics actually made it to 0.25. Squad will likely be looking at a complete stock aerodynamics overhaul in 0.26 (which will likely affect far more than just Firespitter), but as of now, it's the same old, broken model as in 0.13. Yes, that's how old it is. Probably older, might date all the way back to 0.9.

Can we take it down a notch? With so many mods depending on Firespitter, I'm sure that Snjo has plenty of double-checking and trouble shooting to do in whatever amount of free time he/she has to work on the mod.

If it's working fine with your particular suite of mods, great. There's really no reason to complain so much about the version checker. It's not stopping you from using anything. Just click 'ok' and move on. It's a useful tool to make people aware that there may be problems stemming from whichever mods it's warning you about.

Hi, I have a question, I upgraded to v6.3.5 and all my planes are broken, but I knew that would happen in V7.

My question is: when v7 Final is released. More parts will disappear and I'll have broken planes again?

In this case, what parts are? to avoid using them

I do not want to redo the entire catalog of "Carcharoth Aeronautics" just to redo it a second time.

I just upgraded to 0.25 and B9 5.2.4 and 99.9% of my planes are junk :confused:.

Thank you very much.

I just upgraded to 0.25 and B9 5.2.4 and 99.9% of my planes are junk.

All aerodynamic parts have changed in KSP 0.25. Ask Squad about that. They said they were changing things before release. Use 0.24.2 and your planes are fine.

I just upgraded to 0.25 and B9 5.2.4 and 99.9% of my planes are junk :confused:

B9 isn't upgraded to work with .25 in the first place, if you want to play with B9 play on .24.2 for the moment, and what do you mean by "junk" that's very unspecific. What's wrong with them specifically?

All aerodynamic parts have changed in KSP 0.25. Ask Squad about that. They said they were changing things before release. Use 0.24.2 and your planes are fine.

How did they change? I didn't test stock wing code parts when I was rebuilding the plugin. (the wings with custom code worked just fine).

Okay, this is really bugging me. I have a saved version of KSP 24.2 backed up. Yesterday, I installed firespitter 6.3.5, KAX 2.2.2_.24, and nearfuture. Everything ran fine, I built a couple of aircraft and flew them around the KSC. All the props worked, and the landing gear retracted properly.

Today, I tried installing KSO (the shuttle mod) on top of this and tried launching ksp x64. Well, it crashed, so I deleted KOS.

EDIT: When I start KSP using x86 mode (24.2), no matter what happens, the firespitter parts are mostly broken. There are no animations (on any parts), and I cannot right click on them to get any information or actions. I can take off with some of the props and landing gear (some of the landing gear seem to break off or not allow "rolling" on the ground), and some of the props do not provide power.

Troubleshooting steps I have tried:

-deleted all mods

-installed only firespitter 6.3.5

-deleted the KSO folders in the root and Gamedata folder

-restarted computer

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. And I don't have another backup of 24.2 at this point. Help! What is causing this problem and how do I fix it?

Edited by zilfondel

As you guys will have noticed, I have been pretty absent lately. Partly it's been work and vacation stuff, and partly I've just been burned out on stuff.

Creativity comes and goes in waves, and some moths (or years) I will be very into a project, others not so much.

As people have noted, the plugin has become important for a lot of other mods, and I love that. Right now I see my contribution to other people's mods as more important than updating my own part set, which has often been a way to showcase the functionality of the code. As such, if any of the mod creators have feedback on how I can make things easier for them when I am being flaky, please let me know. Maybe you want some help branching the code, making a stable build of a smaller subset of the functions with other module names?

To be clear, this is not me dropping the mic and heading out the door, it's just being honest about the fluctuating level of development. I love the game and you guys, who have always been super nice. PMs and such always reach me :)

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. And I don't have another backup of 24.2 at this point. Help! What is causing this problem and how do I fix it?

Maybe you have accidentally put an old version of the dll outside GameData, like in the old plugins folder in the KSP root?

Don't fret it Snjo, expecting all mods to get updated day 1 is unrealistic and people getting upset because it doesn't happen are silly, it's a bad idea to "upgrade" your highly modded KSP install to the latest version of KSP right of the bat anyway, wait until the mods get updated, I usually install a new vanilla version of KSP when it's updated to try the new features then wait until mods get updated to move over my save to that install.

And frankly .25 is just the inclusion of some mods, an uninspired addition to career and some more flamboyant explosions, hardly something to get overly excited about.

Was there something actually wrong with previous version of FS (635) in .25? Was the incompatibility warning the only "problem" with it?

zilfondel: x64 KSP on windows is a waste of time.

Edited by K3|Chris

Don't fret it Snjo, was there something actually wrong with previous version of FS (635) in .25? Was the incompatibility warning the only "problem" with it?

zilfondel: x64 KSP on windows is a waste of time.

I don't know of any issues with the old one, but I haven't tested it. No one reported anything at least, except for stuff that is expected from bad installs.

There may of course be entirely new issues with 0.25 and FS across all versions. Such as someone saying the stock lift code had changes. I'm not near the game, so I have no idea what that's about.

New is, according to Squad, that the winglet subclass is now deprecated and "all" stock parts use now the ModuleLiftingSurface module.

Although if you start looking at it, then that's actually not true.

Not all stock wings use this module, some are still as before. Also old parts from previous versions still work as before.

By the way, a full and an empty tank will still drop at the same speed.

I obviously didn't look at any code, but I didn't see any difference in the game.

Edited by slumpie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.