Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

Bee tee dubs... now that I've taken the newly updated FS parts for a spin, I have the following feedback:

-I've noticed that some of the propeller parts end up under the "fuel tanks" tab in the VAB, which doesn't seem right - the rest of them show up correctly in the "Engines" tab.

-So the basic adjustable propeller part costs 650 funds, but so does a basic jet engine - I feel as though propeller parts (and, indeed, most of the parts in the Firespitter lineup) should be significantly cheaper.

-The basic adjustable propeller also comes AFTER the basic jet engine in the tech tree, which just seems silly. =P

Firespitter Core is not installing properly on CKAN for me. It's only installing the version file, and not the plugin itself. Through CKAN, I tried removing MKS/OKS and firespitter, then reinstalled MKS/OKS, but it's still doing the same thing.

Firespitter Core is not installing properly on CKAN for me. It's only installing the version file, and not the plugin itself. Through CKAN, I tried removing MKS/OKS and firespitter, then reinstalled MKS/OKS, but it's still doing the same thing.

Goshdarnit what is it now, I swear to god this file hates me.

Triaging and searching for a solution now.

EDIT: And why in the world is this posted here rather than in the CKAN thread?

EDIT 2: The file is installed correctly but into an incorrect folder, namely GameData/Plugins, instead of GameData/Firespitter/Plugins. I'll throw an update into the works.

EDIT 3: Updated metadata has been merged into the repository. Hopefully this is the last change ever to firespittercore in a looong time.

Edited by Dazpoet

EDIT: And why in the world is this posted here rather than in the CKAN thread?

Jeez, I'm sorry for trying to help. I thought Roverdude may have accidentally configured the CKAN file for the standalone DLL improperly.

And for the record, I informed another mod maker just a few weeks ago of a CKAN issue with their mod, and they were happy to fix it, and I received no backlash for posting there. It was their fault for the issue, and if I posted in the CKAN thread, they may have not seen it. How would I know that the issue wasn't caused by the mod maintainer or by CKAN itself? I didn't see in the OP anything indicating that all CKAN issues be reported in the CKAN thread.

Edited by stevehead

Jeez, I'm sorry for trying to help. I thought Roverdude may have accidentally configured the CKAN file for the standalone DLL improperly.

And for the record, I informed another mod maker just a few weeks ago of a CKAN issue with their mod, and they were happy to fix it, and I received no backlash for posting there. It was their fault for the issue, and if I posted in the CKAN thread, they may have not seen it. How would I know that the issue wasn't caused by the mod maintainer or by CKAN itself? I didn't see in the OP anything indicating that all CKAN issues be reported in the CKAN thread.

It is just that Dazpoet is constantly trying to get people to post these issues in the CKAN thread because:

1. They are CKAN issues, not mod level issues.

2. The CKAN people handle this stuff not the mod developers.

3. Pestering the mod developers about CKAN issues generally wastes their time and makes CKAN look more annoying than helpful.

It is just that Dazpoet is constantly trying to get people to post these issues in the CKAN thread because:

1. They are CKAN issues, not mod level issues.

2. The CKAN people handle this stuff not the mod developers.

3. Pestering the mod developers about CKAN issues generally wastes their time and makes CKAN look more annoying than helpful.

I'm not going to take up anymore of this thread's space arguing after this. I'm just pointing out how am I supposed to know that it is indeed an issue with CKAN itself or the author configured it improperly? I have a mod distributed on CKAN myself, which is fortunately simple enough to be auto-configured through Kerbal Stuff. But before hosting on Kerbal Stuff, I was planning to manually write and configure the CKAN file and submit it. With all the options that can be done in the config, I can see how a mod author such as myself could accidentally configure it wrong. And as I mentioned above, I pointed out an error with another mod's CKAN install, and it was the mod's author that didn't configure the file properly and they fixed it shortly after I let them know about it; it had nothing to do with the CKAN folks. I wasn't aware of previous issues regarding Firespitter and CKAN, and I didn't see any clear indication that I was supposed to submit the problem on CKAN's thread without having to read through several pages in this thread. What is wrong with this world when you get criticized for helping?

Edited by stevehead

I'm not going to take up anymore of this thread's space arguing after this. I'm just pointing out how am I supposed to know that it is indeed an issue with CKAN itself or the author configured it improperly? I have a mod distributed on CKAN myself, which is fortunately simple enough to be auto-configured through Kerbal Stuff. But before hosting on Kerbal Stuff, I was planning to manually write and configure the CKAN file and submit it. With all the options that can be done in the config, I can see how a mod author such as myself could accidentally configure it wrong. And as I mentioned above, I pointed out an error with another mod's CKAN install, and it was the mod's author that didn't configure the file properly and they fixed it shortly after I let them know about it; it had nothing to do with the CKAN folks. I didn't see any clear indication that I was supposed to submit the problem on CKAN's thread without having to read through several pages in this thread. What is wrong with this world when you get criticized for helping?

Nothing is wrong with the world when you take a correction as a criticsm. Maybe Dazpoet could have worded the sentence better, but he is also playing triage against mod developer who are annoyed with the CKAN questions when they actually didn't even list their mods on CKAN.

Roverdude, since you volunteered to update Firespitter to 1.02 entirely, would it be too much to ask you to add a parts unlock cost entry to firespitter parts? I know it's annoying having to do that but the mod was never update for part unlock entry cost. Thanks for all your hard work. I did test the fire spitter parts individually before you updated it by correcting nodes myself. Some wing parts did work. I use the jet fighter tail and the yaw control on it seemed to work fine.

The wings aren't showing any lift under the stock aerodynamics when trying it.

Thanks RoverDude for the quick fix on the nodes. But I need to mention that wings and control surfaces snap at a very high speed at launch, unless you set the default "control range" to a lower value. Maybe anyone else have that issue too ?

I am still trying each part of firespitter. I will report if any other weird things happen.

Edited by badboyz31

@Snjw - if you can make me a co-author (or whatever the term is on KS), I can go ahead and update these as well :)

Sure, if you have a kerbalstuff user name, and if people still use the other thing, that name too (if it has multi-author support)

I stopped updating curseforge way back because I wasn't able to upload files to it.

Thanks Snjo - RoverDude on KS. Will either update it today with what we have, or see if I can get some of the aero bits taken care of as well today (should be able to)

Roverdude thanks but again please add part entry cost so they aren't all free! I appreciate all the work you do! Was great to see you in DasValdez' chat also.

Sure, if you have a kerbalstuff user name, and if people still use the other thing, that name too (if it has multi-author support)

I stopped updating curseforge way back because I wasn't able to upload files to it.

Thank you Roverdude and Snjo! It's great that we will have an official Firespitter again.

Roverdude, since you volunteered to update Firespitter to 1.02 entirely, would it be too much to ask you to add a parts unlock cost entry to firespitter parts? I know it's annoying having to do that but the mod was never update for part unlock entry cost. Thanks for all your hard work. I did test the fire spitter parts individually before you updated it by correcting nodes myself. Some wing parts did work. I use the jet fighter tail and the yaw control on it seemed to work fine.
I think I've found another bug here. In this screenshot, the "fighter landing gear" symmetry seems to be incorrect.

http://s27.postimg.org/nekqa0dvj/Untitled.jpg

Will look at both of these :)

Will look at both of these :)

While you're in there, can you take a look at the FSfuelswitch? I'm using an older cfg file from Atomic Age, and it's pretty buggy. You can switch a tank to LF only in the VAB, but upon launch it now has the new value of LF, plus the original amount of oxidizer. If you revert to VAB you can manually remove the oxidizer and relaunch and it's fine in the numbers, but still shows the empty oxidizer value. So it's not broke, but something is off somewhere :)

Just to be clear by the thread title, firespitter should be considered compatible with 1.0 up to 1.0.2, correct?

Yes that is correct, it has some issues such as wings don't seem to be generating lift but other than that it works fine. Though Roverdude said he's going to do some more refinement to the cfg file so it should be fixed in a day or two.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.