Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

7.1.2 is up

Cost fixes and engine first-pass. Essentially since ISP varies thrust not fuel efficiency, I adjusted the thrust amount to put all of the engines at their ASL thrust level, with engine thrust decreasing as you gain altitude using the original FS float curves. This seemed the least invasive way of dong this.

@Snjo - let me know your thoughts on the lifting surfaces, etc. - i.e. do you want to convert over to stock?

Also if you have the original models I can start doing some art passes :)

The thing with the biplane wings is they need to have a lot more lift than stock to fly at the correct speed. I made it out to be about 3x, Ferram actually did some proper work and said stock lift was 3.4x too low. I tuned it until a sopwith took off at almost the listed take off speed. The trade off should be that they aren't usable for space and high speed, possibly that just requires a low temp tolerance. I never got around to making them snap at high speeds or making the canvas tear with some funny shader work with lift loss :)

There are some benefits to the way those wings work, they don't suffer from the indecisiveness stock does or did when the wings lift point shift in relation to the CoM, and they can have several lift points per wing, making proper ailerons etc possible. So the biplane and fighter jet wings should remain FSwing. the rest are stock anyway, or are set up to handle stock modules. (The fighter jet wing has both versions available)

Hi

The last version of Firespitter (full not the plugin) causes a Hell Kraken when i try to launch a vessel. If i remove all the parts etc except the plugin all works fine.

Here is the bugreport: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120788-Flight-perspective-goes-black-then-space-center-is-skybox?p=1929943#post1929943

Thanks fox fixing!

Uh, with new aero they actually should have the correct deflectionLiftCoeff and they'll fly fine (correct meaning "area in m^2 / 3.52"). I mean, sure, if they don't then fly fine try changing things (or, y'know, lowering mass---let's recall biplanes gross about 0.8t, not multi tonnes). But I think they'll fly fine.

Hi

The last version of Firespitter (full not the plugin) causes a Hell Kraken when i try to launch a vessel. If i remove all the parts etc except the plugin all works fine.

Here is the bugreport: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120788-Flight-perspective-goes-black-then-space-center-is-skybox?p=1929943#post1929943

Thanks fox fixing!

Can you be a bit more specific? Certain bits are a bit... entertaining still, but the very presence of the parts should not cause an issue, given I have this in my main save ;)

FYI the original Firespitter plugin is alive and well (and updated for 1.0.2). We've split out the plugin as a separate release to help with CKAN integration.

You can find it on KerbalStuff here :)

I switched back to FSfuelswitch from Interstellar's and it does seem to work fine but....any craft already in flight will be returned to stock fuel types and filled up (with no way to change or empty)...I think that was an issue from before, not a new one :)

Have you guys noticed parts with hover capability producing a lot of heat when in hover mode? I made a part that has it and it likes to overheat and explode after too much hovering lol.

I actually made the old heli rotors overheat when you use the "OH ...."-button / auto-stabilizer, and with new heat rules that probably happens pretty fast. If it's not when using that function, I wouldn't know, unless toggling between full and no throttle really fast is an issue now.

Which parts are you using and how?

Edited by Snjo

I actually made the old heli rotors overheat when you use the "OH ...."-button / auto-stabilizer, and with new heat rules that probably happens pretty fast. If it's not when using that function, I wouldn't know, unless toggling between full and no throttle really fast is an issue now.

Which parts are you using and how?

Ah ok, gotcha. It happens when I use the (EDIT) "Hover Throttle" option using FScopterThrottle. It's most notable on a large helicarrier I built lol. The part I'm using is this one (my own custom):

WTohdzTh.png

Edited by Quiznos323

I switched back to FSfuelswitch from Interstellar's and it does seem to work fine but....any craft already in flight will be returned to stock fuel types and filled up (with no way to change or empty)...I think that was an issue from before, not a new one :)

(edit)

I am having a hard time repro'ing this.

I am making a vessel with an FSFuelSwitch tank, filling it halfway, launching it, then going to do other things, coming back, no issues.

Can you show me your config that is causing this?

Edited by RoverDude

Wait, you first launch a craft, then mod the game, and then your tank reverts? This would be no surprise, KSP does not magically move information from one FuelSwitch module to the other.

(edit)

I am having a hard time repro'ing this.

I am making a vessel with an FSFuelSwitch tank, filling it halfway, launching it, then going to do other things, coming back, no issues.

Can you show me your config that is causing this?

Wait, you first launch a craft, then mod the game, and then your tank reverts? This would be no surprise, KSP does not magically move information from one FuelSwitch module to the other.

Yea, it's just the one-time. It's not happening every time I fire up the game, it only happens one time, after changing from one Fuel Switcher to another. I am pretty sure this happened before (when adding a fuelswitcher or changing fuelswitchers) , I was just not very clear in my original post.

Edited by Eleven

I tried the island runway and a few other places (I forget which) at altitude 0 and the beach at altitude 50. Most of them blew up at the ksp runway before they could be moved to the new location but my first test blew up at the island runway.

I don't think I have any screen recording software but here's a KSP AVC mod list thing:

KSP: 1.0.2 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

USI Tools - 0.4

Chatterer - 0.9.1.86

Community Resource Pack - 0.4.1

Dynamic Deflection - 1.1.2

Editor Extensions - 2.7

Firespitter - 7.1.1

Flight Manager for Reusable Stages [FMRS] - 1.0

Action Group Trigger On Stage - 2.0.7

RasterPropMonitor - 0.19.2

kOS - 0.17.2

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Infernal Robots - 0.21.2

Final Frontier - 0.8.2.1285

Pilot Assistant - 1.7.2

QuickExit - 1.3

QuickMute - 1.0.4

QuickSearch - 1.1.2

RCS Sounds - 4.3

RealChute - 1.3.2.3

SAS Reset - 1.1.1

ShipManifest - 4.2.0.2

SmartStage - 2.6.1

TextureReplacer - 2.4.3

ThrottleControlledAvionics - 2.2.1

TweakScale - 2.1

Freight Transport Tech - 0.4

Karbonite - 0.6.1

Karbonite Plus - 0.4

USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.2

if any more detail helps... the craft (my attempt at a land/sea helicopter) appears to be in the correct position at the intended launch site until physics loads. Once physics loads the craft explodes either on the ksp runway, above the sea or at the launch site due to overheating and the camera flies away.

- - - Updated - - -

still happens with just firespitter.

I'll try re-downloading firespitter to see if that helps.

Edited by volcanicshrimp

I downloaded the most recent version and when I get to the launch pad I find that the whole Kerbin planet has vanished. Poof it is gone! I get the launch window but the rest of the screen is black. when I press escape my only option is to go to the base window and when I do that, there are only stars as if the whole Kerbin planet is missing. where did it go? I love this mod. But it is useless without Kerbin. I am not a happy camper!:confused:

Edited by sumghai
Removed overly-long quote.

Question on FStextureSwitch2, if anyone has an answer id be most appreciative :D

Under the FSTexureSwitch2 module, there is a "ObjectNames =" required. Is there an easy way to find this for the particular model you are trying to utilize? (im edited a part via MM, so its not my part)

in the firespitter wiki it say the following :

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]To find the names of the objects to switch textures for, click on the part in the action editor and use the [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]List Objects[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] button. They will be logged to the Debug Log window ( alt+f2 / alt+f12 ).[/FONT][/COLOR]

I think i am just slow tonight, but "Action Editor" and "List objects button" arnt ringing a bell. :( and the only thing that seems to come up in the debug menu is the part name that i listed in the CFG.

Thanks again for any help!

I downloaded the most recent version and when I get to the launch pad I find that the whole Kerbin planet has vanished. Poof it is gone! I get the launch window but the rest of the screen is black. when I press escape my only option is to go to the base window and when I do that, there are only stars as if the whole Kerbin planet is missing. where did it go? I love this mod. But it is useless without Kerbin. I am not a happy camper!:confused:

Need a lot more specificity. Mod works perfectly fine and does not eat Kerbin, odds are something else is going down.

Question on FStextureSwitch2, if anyone has an answer id be most appreciative :D

Under the FSTexureSwitch2 module, there is a "ObjectNames =" required. Is there an easy way to find this for the particular model you are trying to utilize? (im edited a part via MM, so its not my part)

in the firespitter wiki it say the following :

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]To find the names of the objects to switch textures for, click on the part in the action editor and use the [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]List Objects[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] button. They will be logged to the Debug Log window ( alt+f2 / alt+f12 ).[/FONT][/COLOR]

I think i am just slow tonight, but "Action Editor" and "List objects button" arnt ringing a bell. :( and the only thing that seems to come up in the debug menu is the part name that i listed in the CFG.

Thanks again for any help!

Do you have access to the original model? You're going to need the object names from the model.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.