Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

I'm have the issue with the USI FTT VTOL engines exploding when in hover mode. I've seen a couple mentions of the problem but haven't been able to find mention of fixes or whether it was something being worked on. Just curious as to the status? I also noticed that when using the "hover throttle" command the noise of the engines changes but they don't seem to show any change in thrust? Not sure if that is supposed to be displayed or not.

Also, when messing around with some firespitter heli rotors to see if they had the same problem with exploding (they don't) I noticed many of the rotors seem to be missing a lot of action group options (hover/normal/cargo throttle, increase/decrease hover height). Is this correct?

This mod's Firespitter.dll file has a virus called WS.Reputation.1 What do i do?

That's not a virus, it's just Norton saying it doesn't trust the dll because it's not used by very many people. It has the same problem with ModuleManager and many other KSP mod dlls. So what you do is tell Norton to ignore your KSP folder and all subfolders thereof. Otherwise, it will destroy most of your mods.

Who ever packed that mod has an nasty infection

No, it's a false positive from a virus scanner as noted later in the thread.

I'm have the issue with the USI FTT VTOL engines exploding when in hover mode. I've seen a couple mentions of the problem but haven't been able to find mention of fixes or whether it was something being worked on. Just curious as to the status? I also noticed that when using the "hover throttle" command the noise of the engines changes but they don't seem to show any change in thrust? Not sure if that is supposed to be displayed or not.

Also, when messing around with some firespitter heli rotors to see if they had the same problem with exploding (they don't) I noticed many of the rotors seem to be missing a lot of action group options (hover/normal/cargo throttle, increase/decrease hover height). Is this correct?

I'll take a look - very likely on my end either way :)

I've noticed the nose mounted electric engine runs hot at higher altitudes, such as around 18km up on Kerbin. They overheat and cause parts around them to heat up quickly as well. Seems to work fine at lower altitudes though.

Running at low throttle seems to work at high altitude, am I doing something wrong?

Edit: They're mounted onto small inline reaction wheels and it seems to be these that are overheating.

Edited by Richy teh space man

Hi guys, having a minor issue with FS props. While this isn't an issue created by FS, it's a stock problem, I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this and found a solution.

I'm trying to use FS to create props for my Maritime Pack. For my prop, I have the two meshes, the normal prop and the disk-shaped high speed mesh and FS does a beautiful job of making these props look realistic. The problem I'm having is, whenever the disk-shaped prop, with it's shader set to alpha/translucent, is submerged... it vanishes.

Example:

Props.jpg

Oh, and also, is there a way to make the rpm throttle dependant? For an aircraft prop, constantly spinning is expected. For a boat sitting still, a spinning prop just doesn't look right.

Edited by Fengist

Seeing the lines below being spammed in the log files. Seems to possibly be creating a memory leak that eventually kills KSP. This is using the electric rotor blade. Is this a Firespitter problem or something else?

FSengine: not FO: ElectricCharge : 1, requested0.0002 received 0.000200000000006639

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

That message is intentional. It means that Firespitter hasn't been specifically updated for KSP 1.0.4. Some parts may be broken, incompatible, or unbalanced. I'd bet that Snjo will see the update is available next time he's on the forums. Until then, patience is key – either wait for Snjo to return, or be patient with whatever issues there may be.

7.1.4 is up

This is essentially just a version patch, to help out things like CKAN, etc.

(I've been using FireSpitter in my test saves for both 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 and have found no issues).

As always, if folks see issues please post here or log github issues :)

7.1.4 is up

This is essentially just a version patch, to help out things like CKAN, etc.

(I've been using FireSpitter in my test saves for both 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 and have found no issues).

As always, if folks see issues please post here or log github issues :)

Still don't see the 7.1.4 on github. You include FS with your mods anyway, so I assume that the latest MKS release will also have the latest FS.

Where are you looking?

I went through the snjo/firespitter link on your git page and looked at releases there. Then again, I probably should be looking at your dropbox or something.

Edit: Oh, it's on kerbalstuff. I thought it would be up on github.

So I'm playing 1.0.4 with FAR, and the firespitter airbrakes don't seem to generate any drag, or rather, no more drag when open than closed. The stock airbrakes work (but are huge and not incrementally openable). I noticed that I didn't seem to be slowing down any faster with the firespitter brakes open then closed, and the aero forces overlay (f12) shows no change in the drag force arrows as I open them either either. I performed the test at high speed to try and ensure that if the arrow was changing, I would see it. I checked on two different installs (windows and linux) and it's the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Dug into the code a little bit, think I found the issue (though not sure how it's best fixed). FSairBrake seems to operate by changing the minimum_drag/maximum_drag values of the part. FAR appears to set these parameters to zero for all parts during initialization because it wants to do the aerodynamics. Now, to my knowledge FAR should be generating voxelized surfaces for the airbrakes (which should then in turn produce drag), but I'm guessing that's not happening. Whether that's FAR's fault or firespitter's fault I don't know. I'll see if I can get ferram4 on IRC and ask him about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.