[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

No, all Sid needs is a do-it-yourself lifesupport book, a bungee cord, lots of string, three tin cans, lots of Duck tape and whole ton of jello... Wait, I think I'm reading the wrong set of instructions?

No, all Sid needs is a do-it-yourself lifesupport book, a bungee cord, lots of string, three tin cans, lots of Duck tape and whole ton of jello... Wait, I think I'm reading the wrong set of instructions?

No, that sounds about right.

yEdh07v.jpg

EPILOGUE - PART 1

NEVER GIVE UP

2hXSfpc.jpg

TWO DAYS LATER

ROZER: “Proteus†has left Duna's sphere of influence.

MALLOCK: Oh Kod...

CAMBO: So there it goes. Our only hope of getting back to home without rotting here for the next months.

DANREY: ...

ROZER: I understand that these may be shocking news for some of you but I didn't finish yet. There's more.

JOHNDON: M-more?

ROZER: Life support system is going to fail.

MALLOCK: What?

ROZER: Ned?

NED: Before he... left, he ordered me to return all the supplies from the DSS back on the station. We have enough to wait until the window for trans-Duna burn opens on Kerbin. However, we... we may not survive that long.

CAMBO: But we checked the life system support thrice! It's working perfectly fine!

NED: It is. The point is that this station was designed to keep alive four people and not for that long.

JOHNDON: L-long? How long?

ROZER: Transfer window to Kerbin opens in 128 days. But window for transfer to Duna opens in 149 days.

MALLOCK: So what? We're talking about being only 20 days short! Can't we figure out something to save oxium?

n3EkPru.jpg

NED: It's not the issue. We have enough oxium.

JOHNDON: B-but Rozer said-

NED: Problem with ECLSS doesn't concern oxium. Even with six crew members instead of four we will have enough, though just barely – for 180 days according to my estimates. The true problem lies elsewhere.

CAMBO: Carbon dioxide.

JOHNDON: :gasps:

NED: Yes. And when it reaches high enough volume percent-

ROZER: Actually that's something I would like to hear from you, doctor.

CAMBO: …

ROZER: Doctor? Could you please explain to us what-

CAMBO: Hypercarbia. Abnormally elevated carbon dioxide levels in the blood leads to somnolence at 1 volume percent. Flushed skin, increased heart rate and impaired auditory system follows. Symptoms such as rapid breathing or shortness of breath combined with ventricular premature contraction, dizziness, confusion and headaches appear at 5 percent. Later muscle twitches, hand flaps and reduced neural activity. Then hyperventilation, convulsions, panic. Loss of consciousness at 8 percent. Death.

JOHNDON: K-Kod...

1XoGffq.jpg

MALLOCK: No. No way, there must be something we can do. We can, uhm, we can vent the excess carbon dioxide!

NED: ECLSS is doing this automatically and continuously but when the Air Revitalization System breaks down... And it is going to – it won't be able to deal with 50% more carbon dioxide than it was designed to take care of.

MALLOCK: Can't we just fix it? We have plenty of CO2 scrubbers!

ROZER: Yes – on “Proteusâ€Â.

MALLOCK: …

CAMBO: …

NED: …

JOHNDON: …

DANREY: …

g5GhXaw.jpg

ROZER: I've been thinking about what we can do and there's only one rational course of action.

JOHNDON: W-wait, you d-don't m-mean we have to-

ROZER: The DSS is equipped with small engine for orbital maneuvering. It should be possible to use it to change the orbit of the station so that we can rendez-vous with Payload B Transfer Module.

MALLOCK: Payload B?

ROZER: Yes. We'll have to send a small team using DAV to check whether it's still operational. Then we will dock the DSS to it.

DANREY: What will it change? We'll suffocate long before we can complete Hohmann transfer.

ROZER: That's why we won't use Hohmann. We'll plot more aggressive trajectory – it's not like we're going to need the Transfer Module after braking burn in Kerbin orbit.

CAMBO: Can it be done? What if we won't be able to use it? Or dock to it?

ROZER: There's always Payload C which is bound to enter Duna SOI in 48 days. But with damaged comms system it's unlikely we're going to make some use of it. Furthermore, whatever BERTY is planning I'm sure Payload C is going to be useful for him. Perhaps commands to Payload C we're already transmitted. No, we can't count on it.

JOHNDON: Huh. So t-there's still hope, right?

ROZER: Hope? There's no hope – this is a plan, the only plan we have. This is reality. I advise you all to accept it and concentrate on our task. Now, I'm going to need your help Danrey – how are you feeling?

DANREY: Does it matter? If this is our only shot I'm in.

ROZER: Good. Johndon, I need also you and Ned to come with – why are you smiling?

NED: I'm not going anywhere.

u1NFwqg.jpg

ROZER: What did you say?

NED: You've heard me.

ROZER: I did. Could you please elaborate?

NED: Elaborate? Since Jeb... did what he did you all of a sudden are acting as if you actually care about the crew, about us. But you never did. You didn't care about Orsen, you didn't care about Harsen and you straight up murdered Sid, you koddamned piece of crap. If you think any of us is going to help you now-

ROZER: Help me? If we don't do something, we'll all going to die.

NED: So what? Why do you care? You don't, you never did. Let me tell you something – you don't give a damn about anyone here. We all know that. The mission, this precious mission of yours, is a complete failure. We've spent the few last years locked like rats in a spacecraft which cost tens of billions for which some of us dedicated their whole careers to get on board. We've been exploring dangerous new worlds to gather data and samples, people died to collect them – and for what? All we've gathered was on “Proteusâ€Â, all we've been through to get this data, all the pain and misery and effort, all of it – all of it is now lost. Erased. All of this was for nothing!

ROZER: Ned-

NED: So what if we die? What's this is going to change? The mission is over, you hear me?! We've failed! None of this matters now, do you understand?!

ROZER: It's not over yet.

NED: Oh yes, sure, pretend like you believe in this delusional idea of yours. Yeah, let's all try to use Transfer Module, why the hell not? You know it's not going to work, you know that the only real option we have is to sacrifice someone so that we won't all die of carbon dioxide poisoning. So why pretend? Let's just skip this act and you'll be free to do what you can best – to kill. I won't help you, you frakking murder- uh!

:Rozer quickly grabs Ned and pushes him onto the wall:

CAMBO: Rozer, don't!

a5Fvuy0.jpg

JOHNDON: Stop it!

MALLOCK: What are you doing?! Let him go!

NED: Figures. I guess I was right all along, wasn't I? Go on, you piece of crap, finish what you-

ROZER: The mission is over when I say it's over. Right now the top priority is to return safely to Kerbin and that's exactly what we're going to do. All of us. Do you understand?

NED: Go on, then. Kill me and maybe you'll live few days longer. You think I'll- uh!

:Rozer slams Ned onto the airlock:

CAMBO: For the love of Kod, stop it you two!

ROZER: If you are so eager to just give up and die then you do it. Open the airlock and we'll all be dead in less than 60 seconds.

JOHNDON: M-maybe you b-both should c-calm-

ROZER: What's the matter? Don't have a stomach to do it yourself?

:Rozer turns to the others:

ROZER: Never give up. If we're to return to Kerbin, we need to work together. No more mistakes. No more emotionalism. :looks at Ned: No more death. From now on nobody is going to die – we can't afford to lose anyone. I'm going home and I'm taking you with me, either you like it or not. This is now our mission – to survive and tell what happened. :releases Ned: Only then, if that's what you really want, you have my permission to die.

CGkT2WD.jpg

STmnLGc.jpg

wR2qZ9s.jpg

zsp4han.jpg

xrw6W6o.jpg

ROZER: There it is.

JOHNDON: It looks c-completely intact. I c-can't even see damage from the m-micrometeorites on the solar p-panels.

DANREY: This doesn't mean they are not there. Shall we contact DSS and tell them?

ROZER: There's nothing to tell them unless we can make it work. Besides, batteries are almost dead.

qWVKF2y.jpg

JOHNDON: Can we d-do this? Without spare p-parts and equipment from “Proteus�

ROZER: We don't have a choice.

DANREY: I don't think we've ever had a choice in any matter since we left Kerbin. This was a – argh!

NED: You okay?

DANREY: I've been better. Frak...

ROZER: Let's not waste oxium. Prepare for docking.

ZEwkDY9.jpg

ROZER: And?

JOHNDON: I've got access to the m-main computer, it shouldn't take long.

ROZER: Please hurry, if we won't get some juice soon the batteries are going to-

:cockpit lights brighten:

JOHNDON: We have p-power!

ROZER: Good work. Now, first of all we need to get more monopropellant so that we can go back to DSS in case something goes wrong.

JOHNDON: R-roger that.

ROZER: And then we're going to check whether the Transfer Module is still operational – it's your job.

NED: Mhm.

DANREY: Ned? What is it?

NED: Hmm?

DANREY: What are you thinking about?

NED: Laythe. You know, of all these terrible places to find yourself stuck in like Eve or this mun, with atmosphere and oceans and everything... I hope he didn't suffer much. He was smart, I'm sure he figured out a way to do this quickly. Maybe he was looking at this hellish gas giant when it happened. Or maybe he somehow found Kerbin on the night sky, little pale blue dot shining through the clouds... One last glimpse of the world we so foolishly abandoned...

DANREY: I'm sure he wasn't suffering.

JOHNDON: C-connection established!

ROZER: Excellent.

SR4OHnh.jpg

rvVyRRz.jpg

NED: Yeah. :sad smile: And yet so many of us are gone. Even those who we thought were safe, left in base on this damned Red Planet.

DANREY: We don't know what happened to them, Ned. Maybe they were rescued by KSC.

NED: Do you honestly believe in this?

JOHNDON: Monopropellant is f-flowing!

ROZER: I see – good job.

NED: I thought so.

DANREY: :sigh: You know, sometimes I think that we'll never understand what happened down there. People can't just disappear, right?

JOHNDON: I'm g-getting readings from engine A.

DANREY: And yet... and yet they just vanished, no explanation left for us to find. Just like the Krussians...

ROZER: Alright Johndon, now we need to – what did you say?

JOHNDON: R-readings from engine-

ROZER: Not you. Krussians? Vanished?

DANREY: Err...

ROZER: Didn't you say there was a hydrazine leak? That you saw the bodies but you couldn't get close to them because of a contamination?

DANREY: Well, actually we, uh, we may have skip few details.

NED: Wait, are you talking about this trip to derelict Krussian ship you and Sid made?

JOHNDON: Rozer? The r-readings-

ROZER: Wait a moment. Danrey, is there something you should tell me?

ROZER: Is there?

DANREY: What... what do you want to know?

ROZER: Everything.

SAmT9J8.jpg

ihgZPMC.jpg

GAaXKMS.jpg

ZRoFy7Z.jpg

qzYE4jV.jpg

9eMxnVr.jpg

NED: Good Kod, this is gigantic!

DANREY: I told you.

JOHNDON: It's almost as b-big as “Proteusâ€Â. To t-think that Soviets were able to p-put something so huge so far from K-Kerbin... Astonishing.

DANREY: So now what? You really want to do this?

ROZER: Yes. Soviet technology is known for being robust – they always preferred simple and proven solutions then sophisticated but prone to malfunctions high-tech equipment. That's why despite much more primitive economy they landed on the Mun the same day we did.

NED: The same day Jeb did.

hdvvubw.jpg

ROZER: Yes... If what you said is true-

DANREY: It is, I swear to Kod.

ROZER: If it's true, than on board this... Mir-2 there are not only plenty of supplies like food or water but also carbon dioxide scrubbers. We need them.

JOHNDON: B-but according to what Dan and Sid saw the hull was p-punctured, right?

DANREY: It was. There's not much more pressure inside than on Duna.

NED: But if we patch the hull we're probably be able to use ECLSS to get breathable atmosphere.

JOHNDON: Assuming it's w-working.

ROZER: We don't need the atmosphere to get access to these supplies. Plus you said there was some hydrazine floating inside.

DANREY: Yes. But it wasn't floating everywhere – some modules are completely contaminated for sure but the main module was preserved perfectly.

NED: How?

DANREY: The hatch was closed.

JOHNDON: And no... no crew?

DANREY: Mhm. We we're talking about it after we discovered it, remember? They probably used whatever was in this docking port to leave the ship.

NED: Leave? And go where?

d0LtSzu.jpg

ROZER: It doesn't matter. RSS online, prepare for docking. We're not going to stay for long on board, though it will take at least several runs before we gather all the supplies we need.

DANREY: Agreed. This spacecraft is really unnerving.

JOHNDON: What d-do you mean?

DANREY: Are you kidding me? Humongous relict of the Cold War above Ike on an inclined retrograde orbit sent here decades ago for Kod know what? :looks at Mir-2: It's creepy as hell.

ROZER: Batteries are low. Enough talking: let's take what we come here for.

En4IuWL.jpg

ROZER: Sixty meters.

DANREY: :gasps:

NED: What is it? Dan?

DANREY: Nothing, it's just my legs. I guess I should better get used to it.

JOHNDON: You m-mean-

DANREY: Being on painkillers, of course. I don't even feel them, you know? I'm kinda... comfortably numb. You know?

ROZER: When we run out of them it won't be that comfortable. Forty meters.

NED: :laughs:

JOHNDON: Ned? Are you okay?

NED: Oh yes, I'm good. I'm good.

JOHNDON: Are you s-sure?

ROZER: Twenty meters. What's so funny?

96noAtQ.jpg

NED: Nothing, nothing. You know what should we do?

DANREY: What?

NED: We should use this Soviet bird to go home. Seriously. Just point this thing at Kerbin and fire the damned engines. To hell with it – if we're going back, let's do it in style. Damn, maybe even Krussians will reward us for bringing back their long lost technological marvel. Huh? What do you think?

JOHNDON: Err...

ROZER: Five meters. Four.

NED: Come on guys, we can't go back with empty hands, am I right? Not with a dozen dead crew members and without a single sample. Yeah, they're going to be all like “Where's my multi-trillion ship?†and we're gonna say “Sorry folks, we lost him – but don't worry, we have another one!â€Â.

ROZER: Contact, checking connection. Johndon, give him some stress pills for the love of Kod.

JOHNDON: Y-yes, right away. Ned, uhm, I need you to- Ned?

DANREY: Ned? Are you – are you crying?

JbIftfc.jpg

yEdh07v.jpg

MISSION STATUS

Sr3nO0N.png

Edited by czokletmuss

And the end draws near.

I feel like no amount of therapy will help these guys after their return. Even Rozer has to be cracking at this.

He already cracked, and got reforged; he's sounding an awful lot like Jeb at his best, rather than his usual sociopathic self.

... Jeb is a captain going down with his ship. Came to me as I was raking.

I like to think Sidley is surviving.

Czo, can haz happy(ish) ending?

*imagine a picture of a kerbal doing puppy dog eyes here, as I haven't got time to draw one*

I feel like it's not over yet - all these mysteries still have to be solved.

But yeah, even Rozer will probably have difficulties with this situation - even if they manage to get supplies, they still have to spend quite some time trapped in a space station with absolutely nothing to do - and only kod (and Czo :P) knows what else might come at them.

Oh, and hopefully we are going to learn what happened to Jeb and Proteus at some point.

COMMENTS TO CHAPTER 64

The ominous vagueness is intensifying, and I feel either Jeb just died, or BERTY has an Understanding with him.

Rest assured, ominous Vagueness Is Coming! :P

Oh. Noes! Rozer, what were you thinking!

There wasn't really time to think this through, now was there?

Dear Kod... The atmosphere you've created with this... I can assure you I'm searching every dictionary in every language, real or fictitious to find words to describe that last chapter.

I'l take this as a compliment :P

Who the how the what the frak?!

I can't even right now. What the heck is Jeb playing at? What's going to happen to Rozer? At least the crew will be safe, though.

I'm literally shaking as I type this, I can feel the adrenalin surge. This was an amazing chapter!

Edit: After a reread, it seem like BERTY was talking out loud to Jeb before the EVA. Looks like he's going to die a horrible death now.

Thank you very much, I'm really glad you enjoyed this - it was one of the more important chapters and one of the most difficult to write (because of how important it is). I won't comment on BERTY-Jeb thing though :P

(Beep) just got real.

Yes it did.

Well, I can safely say that that isn't normal. And now I'm sort of on Rozer's side. What are they...

Wait, Mir 2! They... they're going to chase Proteus down! :o

...Right?

I know, I know, spoilers and all and you won't reveal a thing, which is good. Keep it that way :)

:dun dun dun: :D

Rozer will just have to get into Peoteus and grab a handle, since his RCS suit is disabled :P

Or is it?

Wait... Is Rozer gone? Or is it just me?

Also, if anyone would like to, check out my AAR called "Redder: Mission to Duna". It's written in a style simmilar to The Grand Tour, and obviously inspired by this.

Czok, if it wouldn't have been for you, my writing skills wouldn't be nearly as good as they are, and I wouldn't have something to look forward to when coming home from school. Thank you for everything!

Nope, he's not :) Thank you and good luck with your AAR - writing is a lot of fun!

One word, whoa.

neo_whoa_11.png

Let me guess: Proteus is going to Eeloo now. To achieve the original goals of the mission.

:dun dun dun:

Saw the new chapter, did this IRL no joke

http://i.imgur.com/QcMeb82.gif

Read it, did the same, on the floor now...

Lol.

Poor Rozer, that's another 2 deaths.

OR IS IT *dun dun DUN*

Two of them safe on the station, Rozer (if his RCS can get him back to the station!) should be safe, the real question is Jeb on the Proteus... if he still is on the Proteus. It looks like he is, but who knows? Is he alive? Is Berty fully insane? Is he even self aware any more with all the data errors?

All these questions and more will (probably) be answered on the next episode of SOAP... no, I mean the Grand Tour! :D

Haha :D The questions will be answered but perhaps not all of them in a way you expect.

Uh.

I guess I should probably try to sum that up.

But...

No, I don't think anyone with a mind could do that.

:)

My subconscious: I can't allow you to continue endangering my brain.

:brain begins short-circuiting:

My subconscious: Your reckless behavior is the cause of this.

I enjoyed working with you, Capitan Czokletmuss. Goodbye.

:falls on floor and begins twitching violently:

What a chapter.

Epilepsy? Not the impression I wanted to achieve but hey, at least there's some! :D

The question is if Rozer will still have enough life support to make it to the station. I don't know how life support works but I am doubtful of his survival. The last image showed him flying out into empty space.

Huh, I should have answered for this earlier since know it's rather pointless question - sorry!

To Eeloo! Don't worry, what can go wrong?

Everything Nothing!

Oh come on Jeb! Why the heck! JEB!

...You really wanted to continue this story as long as possible, didn't you? :(

I doubt anyone except Jebediah will live through this story. Dammit, I liked kerbals!

We'll see about that. And now, I don't want to make it story any longer than it should be. It's already long enough.

Rozer just became my favorite character, WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE?!?!?!?!?! Or atleast float out into space (however maybe the crew onboard the DSS can help him).

Good news, he didn't die (in this chapter)! :P

I don't know how, but somehow this has turned less into a grand tour and more into a fight for survival. I remember the days when everyone was optimistic, you know... The grand tour! Every planet and back! When they were still alive! But now more than 50% of the crew is gone, Proteus is standing on its last legs, their pilot's got warrior's guilt, turned into a maniac, and now the AI just came back online and, as far as he's concerned, could potentially kill all of them before (if) they reach Kerbin. And Eeloo, by the looks of things...

Very good point. I also remember writing the first chapters with these optimistic vibe which all characters shared, not yet exposed to the Plot :)

Uhm guys, I don't think Rozer died yet, he still has his spacesuit and his RCS pack (he is clearly using it in the pictures, so it is operational).

Anyway, Czo, you are either crazy or a genius, but either way, this is so awesome i'm struggling to find words for it right now.

PS:

Also, BERTY is back, YAY! (Told ya!) :D

Thank you! And yup, he's didn't die. BTW guess what trope is it (BERTY coming back) :)

It looks to me like Rozer may have a chance, as he is the active vessel (blue line,) targeting DSS from the looks of the symbol and the fact that the line is yellow. Those orbits do look fairly matched. However, Proteus's trajectory shows its orbit having deviated from those a short time ago- that burn we saw.
Agree with post above. He appears to be rather close to the DSS. Even if he can't move, someone else can come and save him. Even if his ECLSS system is disabed, I would not expect a rapid decompression of the suit. Without it, he has probably a minute 30, but with it, probably 5 minutes. Seems to be enough for me. Although, given the amount of times that I have been incorrect, that may not be the case.
Just when everyone was starting to like him too! (I mean Rozer.)

Well, he's alive. Damn, I really should have answered earlier.

wait

if both of the landers were destroyed how can berty carry on with the mission?

they cannot gather any science from the surface

Maybe he doesn't even want to carry on with the mission, he might have his own plan (that hopefully doesn't include killing everyone :D)
Plus, isn't it out of landers?
Who needs landers? He can just enter a body's atmosphere and jump out with a chute!
Well Eeloo has no atmosphere, and its gravity is pretty much the same as the Mun. So maybe BERTY is so laser-focused on completing the mission and Jeb is just so out of it and suicidal at this point that they'll actually try to land Proteus on the surface. What's the TWR on that thing anyway? Could it theoretically be done?
It launched from Kerbin under its own power, so it has the TWR. But its really not built for landings. Way too long and thin.
Landing legs are overrated. He might just pancake it down horizontally, after all. The mission was to get to the planets, not necessarily to return home.
Well, that was a part of the point of getting samples...
Landing a multi-billion dollar mothership which dosen't have landing legs on the surface of Eeloo.

Seems legit.

Tell that to BERTY. He wants the samples back so bad, he's willing to kill Kerbals for it.

...or Rozer.

:)

Huh, actually landing "Proteus" should be technically possible (in game) assuming completely flat surface and some MechJeb help. It's rather balanced so yeah, maybe it's not impossible. Story-wise however (in Kerbaverse) you can't just land on your engines - there's no way that the nozzle would support the weight of such enormous ship. Not to mention it would be a giant delta-v waste.

But it's not the only option.

That does not look like a escape trajectory to me, more like a rendez-vous with something...
That's what I meant. Proteus doesn't look like it's leaving Duna (yet). Rozer is most likely fine.
I knew it! I knew it!
My heart skipped a beat seeing that; I thought it was a Kerbol escape trajectory.

Chapter 66: PROTEUS ARRIVES AT EARTH

Now that would be an unexpected twist :D

Wow what a cliffhanger!

Funny but some writers have this power to create perfect cliffhangers. Strangely, a lot of manga writers and anime screenwriters always manage to make a cliffhanger when you don't suspect it.

Thanks! :)All my contact with manga is "Ghost in the Shell" and "Planetes" and they were written very well but maybe they were exceptions.

It still seems like a minor orbit change outside of the Duna system - perhaps a burn to solar orbit to get away from Rozer and the others while waiting for an Eeloo window? Or a flyby of another planet first?
Awwww, you mean Rozer's not keeping up with Proteus? They don't make RCS packs like they used to! :D

(BTW, seems your inbox is packed Czokletmuss. Private messages aren't getting through)

Prediction: They are going to Eeloo. Like, right now.
It is escaping...but only just escaping. That certainly isn't a straight enough escape trajectory to be heading to Eeloo; I'm not sure it would even get to Kerbin. Which begs the question: where is the Proteus going??
I don't think they're going to eeloo anymore, that escape trajectory is no where near hyperbolic enough.
That pic didn't necessarily mean it was at the end of the burn. It could have been during the burn and the course shown wasn't the final escape course. T+15min is a while, and usually I'd expect a burn to be over by then, but BERTY could be running thrust light to be safe. The Proteus has been through a lot.

No comment :)

Someone remind me, there wasn't any fuel at the station they just left, right? Because I'm pretty sure fuel was a big issue after the mining/refueler bit the big one. I'm pretty sure that a straight run to Eeloo is out, though a 'grand tour' thing with various gravity slingshots around planets to save fuel might work... take a LONG time though!

Actually there is. Kinda. :)

If Berty keeps Jeb that's going to be the perfect hell.

Grimdark intensifies!

Rozer will be fine, he is a robot. Only a robot could stay that cold and logical for so long :P

That's a completely... actually it's an interesting idea. Hmm...

My kerbonauts' reaction whenever I take control of something :P
Yup, we got another problem. Who designed this ship? He's gonna be fired!

Ah, the good old days of goofiness and slapstick, long gone by now...

Hey, wasn't Prof. Mallock injured on Moho? Shouldn't he be classified as injured on the crew list?
I doubt it, if I recall correctly it wasn't too serious, and he's had at least a year to recover.

Exactly what TerLoki said.

You're right, I mean, it's Czo after all, anything could happen :D

Just saw Rozers status btw, he probably got irradiated by the engines of Proteus?

Nah, it's been like that since Laythe ascent.

Exactly what PwnedDuck said.

Shame on you Czokletmuss! Posting a pic like that without putting Dun Dun DUUUNNNNN! ? That's sacrilege! I mean, it practically looks like he's saying it!

:dun dun: machine!

This is getting eerie now... Something tells me that you're not done with the Duna Team...
FTFY.

Something tells me whatever happens the reaction at KSC won't be pretty.

Only 6 crew left? Holy...

Oh yes, I'm not done yet... Nor is the KSC.

I am really wondering what is going in with Sid....
I'm pretty sure he's dead.
We don't know that....it's Laythe after all...
Given the temperatures reported on Laythe, even with a breathable atmosphere, he's probably a little chilly.
Well if it's -40 degrees there and the air is breathable, he can use solar power from the hab arrays, use the heater and let air in, heat it, then keep doing that again and again. If he has seeds for something, he can plant something. Water? He might fetch some from the ocean :)
It is possible he used the module & such on the surface to make a little 1-man colony, but I find it a tad unlikely. Given, y'know, how often czok kills his Kerbals. That's, what, half the crew now?
Well, Rozer is still alive, even though there were more than enough opportunities for him to die... Or that may just be because he seems to be a main charcter like Jeb (So he's going to die last :P)
The equipment could've been faulty...
No, that sounds about right.

This just in, Laythe actually t-shirt shorts temprature, sand edible, nutritious, delicious. Sid's build a sand castle, developed cloning technology and set up a civilisation.

bc48a1_a177aaee3bfb7bff58643c244ce135b0.png_srz_p_870_565_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

My dad read a book on how a person stranded on mars survived for 6 months. Cant remember the name though

I think I know which one, it was reviewed on a, well, SpaceReview.com - do you remember the title? Maybe I should buy an e-book - you can never have too much inspiration :)

Wait... It's...

They're all going to die.

I predict:

Everyone except Rozer and Ned will die of cause [X] and then the two of them will either become best of buds and take over the world together, or end up never speaking to each other again.

I'm starting to like Rozer, no less.

And the end draws near.

I feel like no amount of therapy will help these guys after their return. Even Rozer has to be cracking at this.

Yes, it does draw near. It's kinda weird actually, to know it's ending after 12+ months :(

In order to go to terapy they need to traverse millions of kilometers.

He already cracked, and got reforged; he's sounding an awful lot like Jeb at his best, rather than his usual sociopathic self.

I'm glad you noticed :)

Yeah. Czo has seriously killed kerbals, both physically and mentally.
I feel like I should write a prayer to the kods for the dead ones, brb...
I'm with you, Ned.

So say we all.

After more than a year... The end is finally near.

I'm sure BERTY is having a great time heading toward Eeloo.:)

Alas, the End Times have come.

My god, this story is beautiful. I'm speechless.

Well done czo! I applaud you and your incredible efforts!

This is a fantastic story, if a bit depressing. I didn't have an account on the forum when I started reasing this, but now that I do I have to say:

I praise you sir!

Ok this is one of the best story's I have ever read. I say they ride that Krussian station straight home.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it - I know I've been writing this dozens of times but I really do. There's nothing better than to see that there are people somewhere who enjoy reading what you created :)

... Jeb is a captain going down with his ship. Came to me as I was raking.

I like to think Sidley is surviving.

Czo, can haz happy(ish) ending?

*imagine a picture of a kerbal doing puppy dog eyes here, as I haven't got time to draw one*

Beware! The time of the Ending Tropes have come!

No comment about Sid.

BTW I just googled what "raking" means (never encountered this verb). One can learn something new every day :)

I feel like it's not over yet - all these mysteries still have to be solved.

But yeah, even Rozer will probably have difficulties with this situation - even if they manage to get supplies, they still have to spend quite some time trapped in a space station with absolutely nothing to do - and only kod (and Czo :P) knows what else might come at them.

Oh, and hopefully we are going to learn what happened to Jeb and Proteus at some point.

It's not over yet but the end is coming. For obvious reasons, no comment about the rest of your post :)

Wait... It's...

They're all going to die.

I predict:

Everyone except Rozer and Ned will die of cause [X] and then the two of them will either become best of buds and take over the world together, or end up never speaking to each other again.

I'm starting to like Rozer, no less.

No comment again - sorry!

And it took only 64 chapters!

First two sneak-peak screenshots from the epilogue (part 2):

m7OPA67.jpg

pyjowW9.jpg

Edited by czokletmuss

Yes, I'm not done yet... Nor is the KSC.

Actually, I think it would be very interesting to have some sort of look back from the perspective of KSC in the end - because I really wonder what they were thinking all this time, because clearly nothing went according to plan (Or did it?!? :D)

Actually, I think it would be very interesting to have some sort of look back from the perspective of KSC in the end - because I really wonder what they were thinking all this time, because clearly nothing went according to plan (Or did it?!? :D)

a11ce1439d3838e95de6ff3464ce7536f3f7d13a6fa662945f7757e43a0ac4cc.jpg

Interesting idea. I'll think about this.

Czok, if things don't proceed as planned, rebuild the fourth wall immediately, lest BERTY find a way into this world.

Luckily they do :P

The book you're thinking of is called The Martian.

That's it! Thank you.

Dangit Czo, Jeb Bill and Bob have been reading this too much, they refuse to go on my Jool mission!

Are you really surprised? :)

Moar screenshots from the epilogue (part 2):

M7vLE5x.jpg

KYcVBma.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.