[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Welcome back! Yes please! Always kept a watch for the return of this AAR!

Hi there :) To be completely honest I haven't played for >6 months but recently I noticed that in the meantime a mod was released which is even more important for me than KSP v.1.0 - the Outer Planets Mod. Why?

SPOILERS BELOW

As you may remember, "The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets" ended with the surviving crewmembers back on Kerbin and with "Proteus" in orbit of Eeloo. This Outer Planets Mod by moving Eeloo in orbit of Sarnus not only enable me to finish the Grand Tour from a technical point of view but also made it possible to justify it story-wise.

END OF SPOILERS

So yes, when KSP v.1.0 is released, when the subsequent hotfixes and patches are released and finally when all the necessary mods are updated to KSP v.1.0.1 or whatever - then I'll take a closer look whether continuation of this story is feasible :)

I just read through this in about 2 hours straight. This is amazing. It's just too cool for words. Thank you.

The pleasure is all mine :) There is a prequel to this story though, remember to check it out if you enjoyed the Grand Tour! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YESSSSSS! I knew you'd return! Good thing it's continuing, too, since this is by far the most mindblowing AAR of them all. Quite a few folks have tried to copy your style, but none of them come even close to creating that amazing sense of conspiracy and mystery (except for Cydonian Monk). And I DO mean not even close to your level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi there :) To be completely honest I haven't played for >6 months but recently I noticed that in the meantime a mod was released which is even more important for me than KSP v.1.0 - the Outer Planets Mod. Why?

SPOILERS BELOW

As you may remember, "The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets" ended with the surviving crewmembers back on Kerbin and with "Proteus" in orbit of Eeloo. This Outer Planets Mod by moving Eeloo in orbit of Sarnus not only enable me to finish the Grand Tour from a technical point of view but also made it possible to justify it story-wise.

END OF SPOILERS

So yes, when KSP v.1.0 is released, when the subsequent hotfixes and patches are released and finally when all the necessary mods are updated to KSP v.1.0.1 or whatever - then I'll take a closer look whether continuation of this story is feasible :)

! :)

Now that the outer planets mod is compatible with ksp 1.0.4 is it feasable to continiue the grand tour?

- - - Updated - - -

Now that the outer planets mod is compatible with ksp 1.0.4 is it feasable to continiue the grand tour?

I guess it is :) I'm pretty busy right now and before I start writing I would have to spend a lot of time creating new spacecraft and planning everything, so it surely won't happen soon but I think eventually the story will be completed.

I guess it is :) I'm pretty busy right now and before I start writing I would have to spend a lot of time creating new spacecraft and planning everything, so it surely won't happen soon but I think eventually the story will be completed.

Having never been a writer how hard is it to write a story and how long does it take to write one?

Depends how long your story is. :)

On a good day I can knock out about 1,000-1,200 words of first-draft writing, maybe a bit more if I really hit a groove. That's somewhere around three pages of an average paperback. Then I'll spend more time tweaking and polishing. My KSP fanfic is currently up at around 170,000 words and it's taken me over two years to write in my spare time.

How hard is a difficult question to answer and will entirely depend on personal style. Once I had the outlines of an idea for my story, fleshing out that idea into a rough plot wasn't too bad. Filling out that rough plot into chapter summaries sometimes took a while particularly if the chapter was particularly important for the overall story, or needed a lot of research, or had to be particularly consistent with previous chapters. The actual business of turning chapter summaries into something readable is the part I find hardest.

Having never been a writer how hard is it to write a story and how long does it take to write one?

On a good day I can write up to 5-7 pages. That includes all the BBcode things and editing. But if you are starting 1 page may take you a day or two.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is the new AAR going to come out soon?

I guess it's a work in progress. A couple of pages ago, CZO posted:

I'm pretty busy right now and before I start writing I would have to spend a lot of time creating new spacecraft and planning everything, so it surely won't happen soon but I think eventually the story will be completed.

We're all excited for it but let's keep in mind how much work has to go into a project like this and that CZO most likely has other things to worry about as well. But I'm confident that we'll indeed see the story completed at some point.

Edited by silentdragon

• 5 months later...
On 23.4.2016 at 6:51 AM, dryer_lint said:

Hey guys, does anyone know if we can access the story somewhere else? All the links are broken due to forum upgrade

Well the story and the pictures are still here in this thread, just the links in the first post are broken. If you scroll through all the pages (yeah I know, easier said than done with 100 pages) you can still find all the chapters. Maybe if I get bored I'll try and collect the links, don't expect anything though because stuff happens all the time.

EDIT: Okay well, I was bored. Anyways, I collected the links.

The previous story (Mission to Jool) can be found here. It appears to be in the right order, so no need to collect specific links.

As for the Grand Tour, I'm not certain what the Prologue was, I assume it's the last chapters of the Mission to Jool. The chapters are as follows:

If you find Chapter 8, let me know, it's possible that I just missed it. As far as I could see the formatting is still mostly intact apart from some weird special character glitches. I wish I could do more to preserve this great story, but without CZOs help or permission it would be hard/impossible I'm afraid. Have fun reading.

Edited by silentdragon

The "wayback machine" or internet archive, or whatever you want to call it has up to chapter 31: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20130930065150/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24560-AAR-The-Grand-Tour-Voyage-To-The-Planets?p=661593&viewfull=1#post661593

Including Chapter 8, which is (apparently) mislabelled as Chapter 9: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20130930015922/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24560-AAR-The-Grand-Tour-Voyage-To-The-Planets/page12?p=546260&viewfull=1

Chapter 9 is indeed a separate chapter as well (and is toward the bottom of the page for what you have listed as chapter 9 that is actually chapter 8):

https://web.archive.org/web/20131003194229/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24560-AAR-The-Grand-Tour-Voyage-To-The-Planets/page13

Ooooo, with some slight trickery I've been able to find up to Chapter 60 at least. I might see about grabbing screencaps and organizing them into an imgur album or pdf. That'd be easier as a group effort though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can find all of the chapters in their original formatting on there (by manually entering page numbers) :D 

Edited by magico13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.