[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Pleasure is all mine - each comment like this gives me +1 to Concentration check when writing though :)

Very good writing we have here. Bravo!!!

I was wondering, where did you take the parts for the LAMGML? It looks like a really cool ship!! (Apart from the crew travelling crumped in a Soyuz capsule... Poor guys.)

From here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/author/ccoorreecctt/

Soyuz has the best crew/mass ratio - small command pod is a must if you want to have a capable and light lander :)

Edited by czokletmuss

CHAPTER 10

EVE ENCOUNTER

QLjvlLk.jpg

Commander's log, entry 13. Transfer burn was executed perfectly, though we still have to make some small corrections. We will meet Eve for the second time in little more than 3 weeks. I sincerely hope that this time this hellish planet will show us more mercy.

KacHOoD.jpg

Commander's log, entry 14. First trajectory correction maneuver completed. Now we only need to ensure that we will pass close to the viole(n)t planet surface. BERTY did the math and we will be better off if we wait few days. We don't have much delta-V.

cEjwjLW.jpg

Commander's log, entry 15. Talk about luck. Powerful X-class solar flare and radiation alerts – that's how Moho is saying goodbye. It wasn't as big as this disastrous flare which fried much of KASA's equipment years ago, but still it was enough to kill us all. Luckily, we were NOT in the wrong time in the wrong place.

wna6AcG.jpg

Commander's log, entry 16. Second and last trajectory correction executed. BERTY says that our closest approach will be more or less at 173 km above Eve's surface. Of course we will have to make some smaller adjustments but that's about it for next weeks. Incredible precision, especially when comparing to good old “Kadmosâ€Â.

hgc0sS7.jpg

Commander's log, entry 17. I'm still worried about all these data to which I have no access. What surprises awaiting us? I talked with Bob few times but he won't change his mind. He despises me. What is his problem anyway? I need to know such things! I don't feel good, I'm constantly tired and can sleep. It's a matter of time before I make some stupid mistake because of stress and lack of concentration. Damn you Bob, why are you such a blockhead?

Commander's log, entry 18. Less than 3 days to Eve's SOI and STILL nobody wants to tell me who's landing on this planet. KASA refers me back to Bob and he obviously don't want to talk. This is so pointless.

Hz3dtIL.jpg

Commander's log, entry 19. Eve. So today FINALLY I will…

BERTY v.2.0.8: Jeb, director Bob requires your presence in the Secondary Command Module.

JEB: Another meeting?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Director Bob wishes to say few word about the mission and explain what our next steps will be.

JEB: Hell, it's about time.

BiraiEZ.jpg

MISSION STATUS

ka2PrYi.png

It's hard to tell but probably at least twice as many in the last AAR; there are still Eve, Gilly, Duna, Ike, Dres, Jool+moons and Eeloo to visit. And come back. And survive. And do SCIENCE! I would be surprised if I finish this AAR before 0.22 or 0.23 :P

It's hard to tell but probably at least twice as many in the last AAR; there are still Eve, Gilly, Duna, Ike, Dres, Jool+moons and Eeloo to visit. And come back. And survive. And do SCIENCE! I would be surprised if I finish this AAR before 0.22 or 0.23 :P

CHAPTER 11

EVE ESCAPE ORBIT

gbxkm3r.jpg

BOB: …and - last but not least - I would like to congratulate all of you. So far our mission has been completely successful. New and exciting data collected on Moho is priceless for our understanding of the early formation of solar systems. We found this small planet much more puzzling than we thought. Lack of kethane is still a mystery; however, the abundance of heavy elements opens completely new possibilities when thinking about colonization. Who knows, maybe what we discovered will come to fruition sooner than we expect? For all this I would like to thank you.

Anyhow, as you know in this very moment we are approaching Eve. Due to difficulties while traveling to Moho we're short in fuel. Therefore we're forced to perform aerobraking. Now, I know that many of you aren't completely comfortable with this. We all know what happened to "Kadmos", it's only natural to be anxious when being on board the second ship ever to aerobrake in Eve's atmosphere. However, remember that "Proteus" is the pinnacle of technological advancement in space travel. With our heat shield and BERTY taking care of our trajectory nothing can go wrong. And with experience pilot like commander Jebediah, of course. Alright, let's talk about details. BERTY, can you remind us what our next steps are?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. The plan is as follows. Step one: LAMGML undocks from "Proteus" and changes its trajectory. After achieving orbit and matching planes with Eve Lander the randez-vous will follow. Step two: "Proteus" aerobrakes and achieves equatorial orbit. Step three: gathering data with automated rovers and sending AMU to orbit above Gilly. Step four: landing on Eve. Step five: mining operations on Gilly, second LAMGML leaves to land on the moon. Step six: "Proteus" performs randez-vous with Eve Lander Engine Module, first LAMGML returns to mothership. Step seven: landing on Gilly. Step eight: refueling "Proteus" with AMU, exploration of Gilly. Step nine: second LAMGML returns to mothership. Step ten: Dres transfer burn. End of operations in Eve's SOI.

BOB: Thank you. Any questions? Yes?

JEB: What about the crew for each LAMGML?

BOB: BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Crew members of the first LAMGML are captain Rozer, doctor Johndon and director Bob. Crew members of the second LAMGML are lieutenant Patlie, professor Mallock and professor Sidely.

JEB: Director Bo…?

BOB: Somebody else? Yes?

FERTOP: So the rest of us will take care of teleoperating the rovers and generally observing Eve, right?

BOB: Exactly, doctor. "Proteus" will serve as our centre of command but not only - there are quite a few orbital operations to execute as well. Everyone's work and dedication is required to accomplish this phase of the mission. Yes?

DANREY: How much time do we have before the next transfer burn?

BOB: BERTY, please show us the mission's plan. Thank you.

BTNArBL.jpg

MOXwlJ5.jpg

BOB: Huh, remind me to update this file BERTY. Anyways - as you can see, our next target is the largest body in the asteroid belt - Dres. However, thanks to our, hum, complications en route to Moho we've arrived in Eve's SOI later than we thought. The point is, we will have not one but two transfer windows open in the next 5-6 weeks. We can proceed according to the plan but, if it can be justified by expected scientific gains, we can stay here longer and go straight to Duna. But for this moment, we are going to do everything by the book. Okay, you all know what your job is. After weeks of - let's be honest - rather boring flight, we all have a chance to prove ourselves. I expect you to work as the first explorers in this system should - with passion and dedication. That's it for now; BERTY will give you detailed instructions in the due time. Dismissed and good luck, gentlemen!

JEB: Can we talk in private for a second... director?

BOB: :sigh: Let's get this over with.

BOB: What is it this time?

JEB: Rozer, huh? He's going to land on Eve? I have no problem with that - he's a good and experienced pilot. However I still don't understand the need for such secrecy. You thought I want to be the first kerbal on Eve? Trust me, descending to this violet hell is the last thing which...

BOB: He's not landing.

JEB: What? But you said that in the LAMGML docking to Eve Lander there will be only SCIENTIST and... No.

BOB: Indeed, Jeb.

JEB: YOU are going to land on Eve?! Are you insane? This is probably the most dangerous place in the whole solar system! And the last time you were flying was years ago!

BOB: I was training excessively back on Kerbin.

JEB: This is no landing, this is suicide!

BOB: It surely will be memorable.

JEB: Memorable, huh? So this is what this all is about after all? This whole "we work as a team" smooth talking... You are just jealous!

BOB: Now wait a moment, commander...

JEB: After all this years, you still didn't let it go!

BOB: How could I?! Jebediah and William, first kerbals on the Mun. Everyone knows these names; but the guy who stayed in the command module waiting for them in orbit? I was completely forgotten the moment you two left your footsteps on munar surface! You were heroes, the whole world celebrated your return to Kerbin; two kerbonauts larger than life and "that third guy". Well, guess what - that guy is going to the history books as well.

JEB: Bob, this is crazy! You can't do this!

BOB: I can and I will; KASA's decided. I will be the first to walk on the surface of Eve. And there is nothing you can do about it.

JEB: That's why you didn't tell me? To prevent me from interfering!? My Kod Bob, this is so petty.

BOB: Don't you dare judging me! While I was working my arse off in KASA for years, you just let yourselve to fall into apathy. You've had so much and you let it fade away. You've always had it all so easy, didn't you? But in the end your selfishness and pride and ignorant courage mistaken for bravery you wasted it all! So let me say this clear: don't mess with me or my mission, broken old man. It's not your concern anymore.

JEB: "Your mission"?

BOB: I'm done with this conversation. Now go to the command pod and prepare for aerobraking.

JEB: Bob, listen...

BOB: You are dismissed, commander.

JEB: This is a huge mistake. I hope, for your sake, that you know what are you doing.

BOB: Dismissed. Now.

AyJ3bZd.jpg

ROZER: We've undocked, “Proteusâ€Â. All systems nominal, we're ready to go.

JEB: Copy that. Next transmission scheduled after achieving stable equatorial orbit.

ROZER: Roger.

JEB: Take your time checking the Eve Lander, okay?

ROZER: With all due respect commander, I have my orders. Kodspeed, “Proteusâ€Â. LAMGML-Alfa out.

JEB: :sigh: Kodspeed.

vbsMPNH.jpg

rychnJd.jpg

PKGVkku.jpg

JEB: Okay Dan, you may proceed.

DANREY: Copy that.

0cihTeH.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: In case of any problems, I may assist you in docking to the mothership, lieutenant Danrey.

DANREY: Thank you, but I think I could use a little practice.

jiEj0Qe.jpg

DANREY: See? No problem.

2vHFltg.jpg

NED: …and then he replies “That's what she said!†Good one, huh?

BERTY v.2.0.8: I'm afraid I don't understand the joke, Ned.

NED: Oh come on, that's pretty obvious. Change the pressure please.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. Lowering the pressure in the observation module.

K03xcJr.jpg

NED: And you know what's the best about all this? It's a true story.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Does it make the joke funnier?

NED: Sure it does! Oh boy, Manny was such a funny guy. He would taught you some really good stuff. Okay, you can fold it up.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. Folding up inflatable module. You used the past tense while speaking about your friend, Ned.

kraGZFM.jpg

NED: Hum? Oh, yes. He's no longer with us, if you know what I mean. Kod, it has been what, 8 years since the accident?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Are you referring to the termination of life functions of your friend, Ned?

NED: Yes… Well, at least he did it like he always wanted – he went with a BANG. Huh? You feel me?

BERTY v.2.0.8: I'm confused, Ned.

NED: Nevermind. Anyways, it was the last time anyone smoked a cigarette near the fuel tanks. Okay BERT, I think we're done here. I really hope everything will go smoothly this time.

jIF460D.jpg

KrRsDvV.jpg

JEB: Everything checked BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes, commander. Commander?

JEB: Yeah?

BERTY v.2.0.8: You told me to notify you when you got, quote, too worried, end of quote.

JEB: And?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Does asking the same question for the 7th time in the last 47 minutes qualifies as being too worried?

JEB: Well, uh… I guess. Listen BERTY, I've been through this once and believe me, it ain't the most pleasant memory. Not like the last weeks are a good time for me anyways...

BERTY v.2.0.8: Excessive worrying is ill-advised during when one is required to make important decisions. Psychological effects…

JEB: Don't start it, BERTY. Just… I will be okay when we're done with this, okay?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative, commander. Our trajectory has been confirmed as a safe one and completely within limits of the mothership's heat shield, which was designed to withstand several aerobraking operations. All in all, there is no reason to feel anxiety. If I may use the expression from one of the movies recommended to me by chief Ned - what could possibly go wrong?

lnpxOkT.jpg

MISSION STATUS

ka2PrYi.png

Edited by czokletmuss

Anything could go wrong, including the lander, and perhaps the mothership itself. Remember the Jool mission? Remember when Sid passed out? Remember when the "temporary" communication cuts? Remember the Eve entry? Remember how "Firefly" got disintegrated? And remember the ill-fated Kerbin lithobraking?

CHAPTER 12

AEROBRAKING: EVE

ekWiAZl.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Aerobraking will commence in 60 seconds.

JEB: The sooner we're over with this the bett… Sid? What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in the crew module!

SID: I know, I know. It's just… I need to meet this planet face to face, you know?

JEB: Look, I will never forget this part of “Kadmos†flight but you really shouldn't…

SID: Please. It's not like I have time to move to the crew module anyway.

JEB: Damn it Sid.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Aerobraking will commence in 30 seconds.

SID: Plus you could use some help in case of anything unexpected.

JEB: Fine, fine, just be quiet for a few minutes, will ya?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Aerobraking will commence in 20 seconds.

JEB: ASAS and RCS are good, trajectory is fine.

SID: 5g tops, right BERTY?

xJ9Aysq.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. Aerobraking will commence in 10 seconds.

JEB: ASAS and RCS are good, trajectory is fine.

BERTY v.2.0.8: T minus 5.

SID: Hello there, you violet bastard. We're back.

HmRNEHA.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: â€ÂProteus†has entered the atmosphere. Increasing friction and pressure.

JEB: Nice and easy, nice and easy.

VUXE515.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Heatshield's temperature 800 degrees and rising.

JEB: 1g.

SID: Long time no see.

MCoQBCA.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Heatshield's temperature 1700 degrees and rising. 45 seconds to periapsis.

JEB: 2,5g, good.

uobpwE9.jpg

SID: Ugh! What was that?!

JEB: BERTY, report!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Warning. Multiple structural failures detected in the robotic arm B. Heatshield's temperature 2900 degrees and rising. 30 seconds to periapsis.

NWaynMc.jpg

SID: Holy crap, we're moving off course!

JEB: Frak it, I knew it! BERTY, correct with RCS!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. Warning. Robotic arm B not responding. Probability of rapid change of trajectory estimated to 17,4% and rising.

sgi6LwI.jpg

SID: It's on fire! Plasma is messing with our yaw!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. Heatshield's temperature 3800 degrees and rising. 10 seconds to periapsis.

zZH71jE.jpg

SID: Jeb, do something!

JEB: I'm trying!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Warning. Vibrations in hull detected. Risk of critical structural failure estimated to 2,7%. Heatshield's temperature 5800 degrees and rising. 5 seconds to periapsis.

1uRnRSz.jpg

SID: Why there always has to be something!?

JEB: Shut up! Help me BERTY, with 5g I can't…

CuohmLv.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Periapsis reached. Heatshield's temperature 6978 degrees and falling. Pressure and friction falling. Elliptical orbit achieved.

xhKhADC.jpg

SID: We're gonna make it! Jeb?

JEB: …

SID: Jeb!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Pilot not responding. Assuming direct control.

oHINvou.jpg

20L8AIT.jpg

L9UYQhJ.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Commander?

SID: Jeb! Are you alright?

JEB: What's…?

BERTY v.2.0.8: It appears that you've lost consciousness due to excessive g-force draining blood away from the brain causing cerebral hypoxia. Medical examination is advised.

SID: We're not that young anymore, ol'buddy.

JEB: I'm okay, BERTY. Status report.

BgsADkV.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Heatshield's undamaged. Robotic arm B non-responsive. 3 minor failures in hull's structure detected. Evaluating the damage and repairing the hull if necessary advised. Elliptical orbit achieved. No casualties or injuries among the crew. All systems operational.

JEB: Inclination?

BERTY v.2.0.8: 32,7 degrees. Matching orbital planes with Eve Lander and stabilizing equatorial orbit scheduled in 12 minutes; predicted delta-V 1512,2 m/s. “Proteus†positioned to execute the manoeuver

SID: I think you should go to flight surgeon right away, Jeb. You're not looking good.

mDFlwBm.jpg

JEB: Later.

SID: …

JEB: I'm okay, alright?

SID: Jeb.

JEB: I will go to him as soon as we finish our job. You hear me BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. I'm happy that we arrived at our destination safely, commander.

JEB: Trust me, you're not the only one.

FeXup86.jpg

UBGB5Lw.jpg

MISSION STATUS

ZYOpZbM.png

CREW ASSIGNMENTS

LAMGML “Alfaâ€Â

1. Cpt. Rozer (pilot)

2. Dr Johndon (engineer)

3. Director Bob

Thank you all very much. If you fancy, you can use the "Rate this thread" option at the top of the page to make sure that even more forumites will have a chance to read this story ;)

MOAR chapters soon! Although I didn't make my mind yet - more frequent updates but shorter chapters or longer chapters but less often? What would you prefer?

Shorter waiting period will have more story breakthrough, but it maybe boring. Longer story will provide more suspense, but then you might lose hype. Either way, both of them would work.

Also, why is "Director" Captain Bob Kerman good at paper pushing? Does that help the mission?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.