[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

I guess you can say it was REACTORbraking.

Yeah, it was the engine's reactor that caused the trouble. Poor Ned and Buzz... (Though Ned survived...) :(

Come on, I'm not THAT cruel!

Yeah, sorry about that. But I have a feeling that team Charlie might be the one with bad lucks.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you unique set of spacesuits made by Nutt007 for the Grand Tour!

screenshot594.png

screenshot595.png

screenshot596.png

All crew members of the IMV "Proteus" will be using them from this moment on. Thank you, Nutt007!

Nice! I wonder how I can get it. Oh well, great job Nutt!

Love the personalized mission patches. Cute touch! Oh and very good work on the story. It's getting better :) Or worse from the point of view of some of the crew I suppose. *starts playing violin sadly*

:sobs:

You, sir, have a knack for the dramatic. I get mad every time something goes wrong with the Proteus' crew, which is a good sign for any story!

But why the death!?! They're supposed to make it back ok! :wink: Ok, sorry... Need to remain calm.

Thanks for the great story, and I'm looking forward to finishing it! :)

And I thank you - all of you - for reading and kind words :) It'll take some time before the Grand Tour is finished, though. There is still half the system waiting for the "Proteus", including infamous Jool and joolian moons.

1.Yeah, it was the engine's reactor that caused the trouble. Poor Ned and Buzz... (Though Ned survived...) :(

2.Yeah, sorry about that. But I have a feeling that team Charlie might be the one with bad lucks.

3.Nice! I wonder how I can get it. Oh well, great job Nutt!

1. Space is a very unforgiving place, you know.

2. :can't tell, can't tell:

3. Well, just PM Nutt - I can't post a link to the textures without his permission, but if you want the suits I guess he'll agree if you ask him for them :)

45.000+ VIEWS AND 300+ POSTS!

Wow. You make me and BERTY happy:)

R1tuie3.jpg

I think I'll celebrate by playing Europa Universalis IV! Don't worry though, next chapter probably will be released today ;)

NNAfjQU.jpg

Edited by czokletmuss

It'll take some time before the Grand Tour is finished, though. There is still half the system waiting for the "Proteus", including infamous Jool and joolian moons.

Yes, that's true. But let's hope the Proteus (and the crew!) holds together until then! :)

It's the newest and best spaceship with the latest technology and the best crew, so... Yeah right that doesn't mean anything, see "Kadmos".

"Proteus" is much, much more advanced than "Kadmos" - artificial intelligence, two fusion cores instead of one reactor, backups for all vital systems, heat shield, escape pods, robotic arms, two cutting-edge lander capable of landing almost everywhere, kethane converter, fuel dumping unit and so on :)

Tip: Don't mess with Lithuania. :)

As a recently converted Protestant it is my duty to englighten them and bind our two glorious nations in a Commonwealth ;)

two fusion cores instead of one reactor

Yeah, one of them already killed someone

robotic arms

From which one of them is already broken

two cutting-edge lander capable of landing almost everywhere

Couldn't the dragons do that too?

kethane converter

With no miner anymore.

What i'm trying to say is:

"Protheus" --> Not really better than "Kadmos"

because more systems means there is more to break^^

Yeah, one of them already killed someone

"Kadmos" will be stuck for good in case of such malfunction.

From which one of them is already broken

There is a spare one!

Couldn't the dragons do that too?

From what I remember, LAMGML have 4 times the delta-V of Dragon.

With no miner anymore.

Okay, point for you :)

What i'm trying to say is:

"Protheus" --> Not really better than "Kadmos"

because more systems means there is more to break^^

From a certain point of view - yeah. However, "Kadmos" wasn't capable of making the grand tour and was inferior in every aspect. Besides, Rule of Drama ;)

You know, I'm probably just being paranoid but given how advanced the Proteus is, while I can see one or 2 things go wrong every now and then, it's like every stop something bad happens that threatens to end the mission. It's almost as if someone doesn't want Proteus to continue it's journey.

CHAPTER 21

AEROBRAKING: DUNA

9MD8JwR.jpg

JEB: Hi Ned.

NED: Jeb.

JEB: I, uhm, I just wanted to

NED: I'm fine, thanks.

JEB: Okay, okay.

NED: …

JEB: Ekhm. Are you sure that y…

NED: No. For Kod's sake, of course I'm not.

JEB: I'm sorry.

NED: He's dead. He's just… gone.

JEB: I'm sorry, Ned.

NED: They said it's much safer, much more advanced. “Proteusâ€Â, that is. They lied.

JEB: It was an accident, Ned.

NED: Like Bob, huh?

JEB: …

NED: You know, for a moment I thought that this is finally over. Pointless wandering in deep space. It's more than 12 months since we left Eve, almost seven since Dres. I thought that when we finally see Duna – I don't know, that it'll somehow help us put ourselves together, you know?

JEB: I know. The Red Planet.

NED: Yeah. Second manned mission to the most desired target in the whole solar system. And now this happened.

JEB: We can't give up.

NED: Aren't you the one with depression here? Poor Orsey. And for what? Do you know that he didn't let me finish the repair?

JEB: I know.

NED: He convinced Bill to aerobrake and repair the cooling system afterwards. Frakin asshole.

JEB: Rozer's right.

NED: What? What did you say?

JEB: He's right. He's a cold bastard, yes, but he's right – we can't risk missing the injection burn because of the engines malfunction. Plus, we'll save more than a 1000 m/s.

NED: I'll be honest, Jeb, I didn't expect that. Since when you are so aloof in your judgment?

JEB: Since Bob.

NED: …

JEB: …

NED: Frak this ****. Whatever happens, we'll get through this together, right pal?

JEB: To the end, Ned.

NED: Damn right. You want to talk with Sid?

JEB: About Duna?

NED: About mission, about KSC. About us.

JEB: Sure thing.

NED: Let's go then.

TqFqPeQ.jpg

PATLIE: Visual inspection concluded, no damage to the hull. Duna exploration team is ready to go.

BILL: Good. Remember to wait for further orders until we complete the aerobraking. Kodspeed.

BZkPcCY.jpg

0vBAnrV.jpg

BILL: Your turn, Danrey.

DANREY: Copy that.

rvTWv6h.jpg

DANREY: LAMGML docked.

BILL: Good work. Now help the rest secure living modules, we don't have that much time before the aerobraking.

DANREY: Roger.

vpQdh3r.jpg

7GqpNDK.jpg

BILL: How long, BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Aerobraking will commence in 39 minutes.

ROZER: Don't be so nervous, commander. Everything will go smoothly, BERTY took care of that. Am I right?

Rf57xIu.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes, captain Rozer. Although the window suitable for aerobraking which will result in orbit insertion is very small and is wide only for 784 meters, there is 99,99% probability of successful aerocapture.

ROZER: Exactly. We will pass precisely at 10,820 above the surface which will give us periapsis at 446 kilometers after the operation.

BILL: I know, it's… it wasn't scheduled originally. And the latest events…

ROZER: Aerobraking was optional, commander, it wasn't forbidden. It's necessary evil – we can't risk engine failure in the critical moment.

BILL: :sigh: Right. BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes, commander?

BILL: You said 99,99%. What is this 0,1 percent?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Unpredictable variables. Space debris from previous missions. Micrometeorites. Microscopic black hole. Fire on board resulting in hull breach. Unstable crew member sabotaging critical systems while in atmosphere. Sudden change in external pressure. Fusion core malfunction. Various…

BILL: Alright, alright, that's enough BERTY. Let's just check everything once again, shall we?

FvQDfYL.jpg

JOHNDON: H-hello, Mr. Jebediah!

JEB: Hi Johndon. Professor Mallock.

MALLOCK: Captain! I know that you are extremely busy considering incoming operation but may I ask you something?

JEB: No problem, I'm not needed in the command module anyway.

JOHNDON: Oh? I was s-sure you'll be helping commander during the a-aerobraking, sir.

JEB: Orders from Kerbin. “Unacceptable disobedienceâ€Â. So what is it, professor?

MALLOCK: Well, err, I'm sorry, captain. I would for sure feel safer if you were there.

JEB: Your question?

MALLOCK: Oh, yes. Ahem. Do you by any chance happen to know what exactly are we going to do in the following days? I know that there is scheduled robotic exploration, as well as landing on Duna and this fascinating moon, but what then? Will we abort the mission and come back to home? It will be such a pity.

JEB: I'm sorry, professor, I'm in the dark as well. We'll just have to be patient, I guess.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Attention. Aerobraking will commence in 15 minutes. Please proceed to the acceleration couches immediately.

pMotaD6.jpg

JOHNDON: We b-better go, professor. Are you coming with us, captain?

JEB: Not really. I want to take a closer look at Duna from the secondary command module.

MALLOCK: Ah, yes, of course. It'll surely be magnificent view. But is it safe? Acceleration will be equal to more than 1g, after experiencing microgravity for so long it can be problematic.

JEB: Is aerobraking safe?

MALLOCK: Err…

JEB: Relax, professor, I was joking. I'm used to high accelerations. You better go now.

MALLOCK: Ahem. Yes, yes. Goodbye.

JOHNDON: Take care, c-captain.

aYf8mRx.jpg

obK4lyt.jpg

BILL: Incredible, truly incredible. And to think that it has been 12 years since “Jingwei†landed here.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Aerobraking will commence in 30 seconds.

ROZER: All systems nominal. SAS operational… should we turn on the RCS too, commander?

ZtDpZDk.jpg

BILL: Not now, we don't have much monopropellant. Alright BERTY – the ship is yours.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. Aerobraking will commence in 5 seconds.

TgRvX46.jpg

BILL: Aren't we in atmosphere yet?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. â€ÂProteus†has entered the atmosphere.

ROZER: It's too sparse to affect the ship, that's why we're going so close to the surface.

3W5Ujio.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Increasing friction and pressure.

BILL: 1g. Long time no see.

V0FAkBd.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Heatshield's temperature 500 degrees. Warning. Vibrations in hull detected. Five seconds to periapsis.

BILL: Bumpy ride.

ROZER: Commander, I think…

BILL: What was that?! BERTY?!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Master alarm. Assuming direct control. Initiating RCS.

BILL: BERTY, report!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Ship covered by heatshield in 79%. Heatshield's temperature 700 degrees.

jAbUeBP.jpg

ROZER: BERTY, how long…

BILL: Holy frak! Frak, frak, frak!

ROZER: …would it take to leave the atmosphere?

BILL: Can we loose control of the ship?! BERTY?!

BERTY v.2.0.8: 1 minute and 45 seconds. Yes commander, there is a chance of catastrophic unscheduled rapid disassembly estimated to 8,54% and falling.

BILL: What can we do?!

ROZER: Calm down, commander, BERTY is in control.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes. My reactions are infinitely quicker and more precise than these of any pilot. Please try to relax. Leaving the atmosphere in 60 seconds.

BILL: Heatshield? Structural integrity?!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Heatshield's temperature 200 degrees. Structural integrity unknown, damage assessment in progress.

BILL: Frak this…

ROZER: Shall we proceed with the operation? We still have to match the orbital planes with the Payload.

BILL: Yes. The sooner we start damage assessment and repairs the better. I assume the engines are operational?

bs3FmPR.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. “Proteus†has left the atmosphere. Elliptic orbit achieved. Shall I switch to manual control, commander?

BILL: No, BERTY. Execute scheduled maneuvers. I need a brake, I'm sorry, Rozer, stay here.

ROZER: Err. Yes… sir.

[

OtTAeXv.jpg

1rfxvLn.jpg

NhRFcVz.jpg

IIfD21m.jpg

BILL: Alright. Report, captain.

ROZER: Sir. We've achieved stable equatorial orbit above Duna in the same orbital plane as the Payload. LAMGML “Beta†is waiting for orders. All we have to do is to circularize.

BILL: Good, good. And what about the damage?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Collecting data in progress, commander. Visual inspection is advised. No damage to the critical systems detected so far.

BILL: :sigh: Aerobraking is safer than orbit injection burn, right Rozer?

ROZER: Sir, with all due respect, it is. We've achieved our goal and we're ready to proceed according to the mission plan and by using aerocapture instead of the engines we minimalized the risk. It was the right thing to do. We're in orbit and the planet is waiting.

BILL: :sigh: Yes, Duna. Alright, it did appear to be a better alternative, I'll give you that.

ROZER: I think we can agree that it could've been much worse, commander. Aerobraking was a right decision to make. And despite this minor accident, everything went almost perfectly.

23qmG3X.jpg

MISSION STATUS

mLWh0OW.png

Edited by czokletmuss

Taking bets on what terrible twist of fate will befall our heroes on Duna.

Well didn't they get that strange alien signal from Duna in "The great Journey"? If so, this is going to be very interesting.

EDIT:

BERTY can't control the Kerbalnauts' suits in any way....Right?

Was thinking of that today, i think i forgot to say in my last post:

"Proteus" is much, much more advanced than "Kadmos" - artificial intelligence, [...]

Yeah sure that's nice, but never trust an AI too much, we should have learned that from 2001 - A Space Odyssey or many other movies and games...

Edited by silentdragon

You know, I'm probably just being paranoid but given how advanced the Proteus is, while I can see one or 2 things go wrong every now and then, it's like every stop something bad happens that threatens to end the mission. It's almost as if someone doesn't want Proteus to continue it's journey.

In fact many things go wrong on any successful space mission. Just not as many as Proteus.

That "assuming direct control" just made BERTY a whole lot more sinister...
BERTY can't control the Kerbalnauts' suits in any way....Right?
Yeah sure that's nice, but never trust an AI too much, we should have learned that from 2001 - A Space Odyssey or many other movies and games...
"I'm sorry Bill, I can't allow that." Chilling to say the least.
Uh-oh, BERTY's getting a little proud. So did HAL. Watch out, Proteus.
After reading the last chapters a second time i must say that there are quite a lot of hints at HAL... Well i guess this should be alarming^^
Hey, BERTY has followed every command without question. He will continue to do so... Right? RIGHT?!

powet_robots_GERTY_from_moon_banner.jpg

Next chapter - tomorrow!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.