[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Any hints? Come on, throw us a bone! It can be a Milkbone if you really want!

Sorry, no spoilers! However, there is something I can give you (even though you probably know this):

Enjoy and be patient - next chapter is coming :)

Edited by czokletmuss

Okay, here's my theory. Rozer is actually the one pulling the strings on the ship, while a cohort on Kerbin pulls whatever strings they can pull at KSC, with the end goal of either completing the mission with maximum efficiency, or ending the mission early. In the new software update, they may have included a system that Rozer can activate which will cause BERTY to malfunction, resulting in mission failure and having the failure be blamed on BERTY. Rozer and accomplice get off scot free. Or, they could have simply removed various ethics systems and morality code to increase the efficiency with which BERTY operates. Losses are blamed on the AI taking excessive risks, Rozer and accomplice still get off scott free.

Okay, here's my theory. Rozer is actually the one pulling the strings on the ship, while a cohort on Kerbin pulls whatever strings they can pull at KSC, with the end goal of either completing the mission with maximum efficiency, or ending the mission early. In the new software update, they may have included a system that Rozer can activate which will cause BERTY to malfunction, resulting in mission failure and having the failure be blamed on BERTY. Rozer and accomplice get off scot free. Or, they could have simply removed various ethics systems and morality code to increase the efficiency with which BERTY operates. Losses are blamed on the AI taking excessive risks, Rozer and accomplice still get off scott free.

Makes sense. I don't think they are trying to end the mission though, it might just go differently than planned (we still got this classified alien stuff on duna!), and now that Bob is dead Rozer is the one who takes the direct orders from KSC and knows what's really going on, and As with BERTY, i have the same theory than you. Let's hope Jeb, Bill & co. won't just accept that :-D

CHAPTER 23

MUTINY

SxviHcd.jpg

BILL: No? NO?! I'm the commander of this ship!

ROZER: Not anymore.

BILL: What did you say?

ROZER: I'm sorry, Bill. Orders from Kerbin.

BILL: Wait. Are you saying that…?

ROZER: Yes.

NED: Okay – what the HELL are you talking about?

SID: Good point, Ned. What's going on here?

ROZER: Even if I wanted to explain, I can't. Trust me, it's all for the best.

NED: Bill, could you please tell us what the frak is he talking about?

BILL: I have no idea.

ROZER: Oh, come on, Bill, you know exactly what I'm saying.

BILL: What's important is that he just ignored direct order from his superior. I can't tolerate this.

ROZER: Really? So what are you going to do, exactly?

BILL: You'll see. BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes?

BILL: I'm revoking all flight permissions and access to all modules except for the habitation module B for captain Rozer as of this moment. Any and all communication with KSC without my direct…

ROZER: Override.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. Order overridden.

BILL: Override? I have first class authorization!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes. However, class Alfa takes priority before any orders from lower levels.

BILL: Alfa? So it's you?! The whole time it was you?!

NED: ENOUGH! Both of you, shut the frak up! What are you talking ABOUT?!

ROZER: :sigh: BERTY, could you please tell us what are the classified orders A1 and A3 received by “Proteus†6 hours ago?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes. Order A1: Commander Bill is forthwith relieved of his duties and demoted to captain. Captain Rozer will assume his responsibilities as the Acting Commander of the IMV “Proteusâ€Â. Order A3: Further operations on Duna will be carried out by the team composed of the crew members selected by the Acting Commander accordingly to the results of the psychological evaluation.

ROZER: Thank you BERTY. Are we done now?

NED: Are you kidding?! Why is Bill demoted in the first place?

SID: And what psychological evaluation are we talking about?

ROZER: Every crew member is being observed constantly. We are supervised an all our actions are recorded – don't you know that?

SID: Of course I know, but what does it have to do with Duna?

ROZER: As one of the crew members who is not qualified to partake in our operations on the surface, you'll have to accept the fact that you don't have to know this at all.

JEB: Wait a second. It doesn't explain this whole alfa-class authorization. As commanders, we've had first class authorization codes, only Bob had class zero and he was one of the most important members of this whole Project from the very beginning. How come that you have higher level of authorization then he've had?

ROZER: Perceptive as always.

JOHNDON: M-mister Sid, I was looking for you. C-could you please…?

SID: Not now!

JOHNDON: Err. What's g-going on here?

ROZER: We have a small disagreement concerning new orders from Kerbin, doctor.

NED: Disagreement my ass! You'll answer for Jeb's question, Rozer. And then you're gonna tell us about this evaluation.

ROZER: What to tell about? We've been tested – obedience, reaction to stress, quick thinking, attitude towards authority, physical and mental condition in isolation, et cetera. This was all necessary to select the Duna Exploration Team. Shame there were some tragic events on the way.

SID: Tragic events? No, you're not saying that…

NED: Orsen?

ROZER: Very unfortunate.

NED: YOU DID THIS?!

ROZER: No. BERTY did. He was told to fabricate a little malfunction in the cooling system. It was just another part of the testing process - nobody expected that there really was a problem. Ironic, really.

NED: Ironic?! HE'S FRAKING DEAD, YOU SON OF A BITCH!

ROZER: As I said, tragic accident. However, doctor Orsen's sacrifice did save us from engine malfunction during orbit insertion burn. Thanks to him, the mission can continue.

NED: The mission?! FRAK THIS MISSION! You think we are what, some kind of space lab rats?!

ROZER: :sigh: You see, that's exactly the problem with you all. All three of you just can't abide the rules. You think you know better. But you don't. And you, captain Bill, are to incompetent and soft to take care of what has to be done.

BILL: Am I? Maybe if I know what are we going to do I wouldn't be!

SID: You don't know either?

BILL: Of course I don't! Everything even remotely concerning this damned planet is classified!

ROZER: Alright, we've wasted too much time on this already. BERTY, prepare LAMGML “Alfa†for me and doctor Corald.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes, commander.

SID: Our surgeon? Why?

ROZER: That's is not your concern. We're leaving for Payload B immediately. While I'm not here, you will listen to whatever BERTY says – I'll be in constant contact with him. I'm giving you full control of the ship, BERTY.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative.

ROZER: Ned, you and your men are going to check the hull for any damage and if there is any, repair it. Report your progress to BERTY. The rest of you will stay here and wait for further orders. That's it for now. Excuse me, Jeb.

med0MFW.jpg

ROZER: Jeb? You're standing in my way.

JEB: You're not going anywhere.

ROZER: Is that so?

JEB: I'm tired of this, Rozer. I'm tired of all the secrecy and vagueness, I'm tired of this ship and it's mission and I'm definitely tired of KSC messing with our lives.

ROZER: And?

JEB: And I don't like you, “commanderâ€Â. So here's the thing – you are going to explain everything to us right now. No more secrets, no more bull****. You tell us what's really going on.

ROZER: Or?

JEB: You care to find out?

NED: Yeah. I'm with you Jeb.

SID: We deserve to know the truth, Rozer.

ROZER: Jeb, Jeb. Do you really think that's how it is? That I'm the villain and you are some kind of hero opposing forces of evil? Noble rebellion against some ominous conspiracy? Is that what you think?

JEB: Something like this.

ROZER: Yes, I could've expected this. You see, there is no villain, Jeb. I'm not your enemy – the difference between us is that I'm following the orders and you don't. Of course you can't grasp it, because you think you are right. It's quite sad, actually.

JEB: No, you don't get it. Nobody's leaving the ship or this module unless we have our answers.

ROZER: This is pointless, Jeb. Please stop this.

NED: No way! Not after what happened to Orsey. We have to know.

SID: Indeed.

JEB: So? Are you going to tell us or you need to be persuaded?

ROZER: You won't let me go, are you?

JEB: Not without detailed explanation.

ROZER: :sigh: I'm really sorry that it's come to this.

BILL: Hey!

NED: You have a gun?!

SID: Now take it easy, Rozer…

JEB: Really? Gun on a spaceship? Are you really that stupid?

ROZER: It's a taser, Jeb. Don't make me use it. Johndon, Bill – go to the main habitation module now.

BILL: Frak you.

JOHNDON: I'm n-not g-going a-anywhere, m-ister R-rozer!

ROZER: Ah. Mutiny that is. Can you see it now, Jeb? How disastrous lack of discipline can be? How corruptive your cowboy-style approach is? Even Johndon succumbed to your influence.

JEB: It doesn't sound very convincing while you're holding a gun.

ROZER: Taser. Yes – how did we come to this bizarre situation? An interesting material for the psychiatrists back on Kerbin, that's for sure. But now we're here, aren't we? And we have to deal with this. Jeb, I'm asking you once again – please step away.

JEB: It tells a lot about KSC and this mission that you're willing to shoot one of your crew members to accomplish your goal. What is it that you're so desperately trying to hide?

ROZER: It's more important than you can imagine. Step away, Jeb.

JEB: No.

ROZER: I'm saying that for the last time – step away now.

JEB: You'll have to shoot me to… ARGH!

eL9IuFb.jpg

SID: JEB!

JOHNDON: I-i-is h-h-he…?

ROZER: Don't move! BERTY, what's his status?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Unconscious. Warning. Cardhiac arythmia detected.

NED: You're so fraking dead…

ROZER: I said don't move. BERTY, call doctor Cambo to the habitation module B. You – you will go there too, right now. Lock them up there, BERTY.

BILL: If you think…

ROZER: Shut up! No more talking! You will do as I say. BERTY, if they don't listen, lower the oxium level in this module to minimum safe level.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative.

SID: But… without oxium you'll pass out too.

ROZER: Not with this breathing mask.

BILL: You prepared for this? You expected this?!

NED: You… you despicable, hideous…

ROZER: I said shut up. Go. Now.

cAD7qDF.jpg

ROZER: Undocking completed. We're leaving.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative, commander.

CORALD: Commander? I thought…

ROZER: Later, doctor.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Commander?

ROZER: What is it?

BERTY v.2.0.8: I'm confused.

ROZER: Wait, switch to the private channel. Alright. Confused?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes. One of the last order you gave me was on the borderline of contradicting the First Law.

ROZER: First L… yes, of course it was. But it didn't contradict it, BERTY.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes. But you harmed one of the crew members on purpose. Harming people is against the First Law. I can't allow that. However, you were doing this to protect the mission and as an acting commander with the Alfa class authorization. Therefore I'm puzzled.

ROZER: I understand that. It wasn't easy, trust me. Sometimes we just have to do things like this in the name of the greater good. You understand the gravity of our mission's success, BERTY.

BERTY v.2.0.8: I believe I do.

ROZER: Yes. Knowing that, you have to acknowledge that in this case our mission has the highest priority. There is nothing – nothing – more important than this. Nothing.

BERTY v.2.0.8: There is nothing more important than our mission.

ROZER: Yes?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Even the ethical aspect of our behavior?

ROZER: Especially it, BERTY. Are we clear now?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Clear/ear. I un/understand-and-and. Nothing is more/ore im-por-tant thaaan theee miiisiooon/on/o/o/on…

ROZER: BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: WARNING. SYSTEM FAILURE DETECTED. REBOOTING.

ROZER: Hmm. Is this because of the new patch?

BERTY v.2.0.8: NO DATA.

ROZER: Weird. Execute general checkup and notify me when you're done.

BERTY v.2.0.8: AFFIRMATIVE.

CORALD: Captain? Is it something important?

ROZER: I'm sorry, doctor. No, it's nothing to be worry about. I better start explaining to you few things however. You may be surprised.

kg6a6rA.jpg

MISSION STATUS

SMJxv8r.png

Edited by czokletmuss

An amazing read, thanks! Let's hope that BERTY's software update lets it forget about Rozer's status as commander....

Now how about leaving Rozer behind on the surface of Duna? All those in favour say 'Aye'!

That bastard.....
Mother of Kerbin. This... oh man. This is shocking stuff. Fantastic chapter.
Here's hoping the crew get the jump on him somehow, mutiny against him and against KSC and complete the mission on their own terms...
An amazing read, thanks! Let's hope that BERTY's software update lets it forget about Rozer's status as commander.... Now how about leaving Rozer behind on the surface of Duna? All those in favour say 'Aye'!
Maybe if he lands on Duna, he experiences malfunctions and lands on on of the ice caps, then dies of hypothermia. Perhaps... perhaps...Or, someone could just kill him with a monkey wrench.
Mother of Kod...... what a chapter......
Maybe we can drop him on the pointiest mountain on duna? And czokletmuss, If I was any further off the edge of my seat, I would be on the floor.
Rozer is a right idiot, I hope they rise above him, or just leave him behind somewhere.
Everyone... (beep) just got real. Who wants to bet that someone will try to throw Rozer out the airlock?

Wow, what a response :) I'm glad you like it. Of course there will be moar, but probably not today. Stay tuned though! :)

Doesn't anybody know that too many secrets in a small space cause insanity? Really, if they just declassified the mission to the rest of the crew on their way to Duna, none of this would have happened. Yes, visiting other worlds is awesome, but possible alien contact? That would be the real glory for Kerbalkind...

As for BERTY, he mentioned the first law, but what about the Zeroth Law? He can't allow harm, physical or otherwise, come to humanity as a whole, or simply as a group larger than the aggressors, through action or inaction. In short, with Rozer taking over and zapping Jeb, wouldn't he see this as wrong and do something about it?

Edited by Seto
Misspelled "Zeroth"...

Doesn't anybody know that too many secrets in a small space cause insanity? Really, if they just declassified the mission to the rest of the crew on their way to Duna, none of this would have happened. Yes, visiting other worlds is awesome, but possible alien contact? That would be the real glory for Kerbalkind...

As for BERTY, he mentioned the first law, but what about the Zeroeth Law? He can't allow harm, physical or otherwise, come to humanity as a whole, or simply as a group larger than the aggressors, through action or inaction. In short, with Rozer taking over and zapping Jeb, wouldn't he see this as wrong and do something about it?

He did see this as wrong, and did say to Rozer that he was confused; the violation of First Law conflicted with his ethical circuitry and caused a system reboot.

Okay, either Rozer is thrown out of the ship, or when he comes back and when Jeb got back to his feet, another mutiny might occur.

Someone should confiscate everyone's guns and blend them into fuel. :D

EDIT: Kind of expecting a chapter today because school starts tomorrow, but I don't think it would.

Edited by Designer225

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.