[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

I've read through this whole thing in bits and pieces over the past few days-- it really is excellent fiction. Thanks czokletmuss!

Here's hoping the politicians don't screw everything up, as they're liable to.

CHAPTER 24

DUNA LANDING

IdtLkcz.jpg

ROZER: …and that's why we did this. Do you understand now? Can you grasp the implications of this?

PATLIE: Kod.

GENANAND: Are you sure that this wasn't some artifact in the data, some interference or malfunctioning detector?

ROZER: We are absolutely sure. The source is within Duna SOI.

FERTOP: Is it somewhere on the surface? Or is it Ike?

ROZER: We narrowed it down to few possible locations which could indicate artificial origin. Our rover got confirmation on one of them.

JEDGEL: Wow. Is it really possible that…?

ROZER: Maybe – we don't know yet. Duna Space Telescope will help us gather more data about the these structures. However, according to the plan after confirmation our next step is to establish permanent outpost and continue the investigation with robots. And that's when you enter, gentlemen.

MALLOCK: Wait, what do you mean by permanent outpo…?

ROZER: BERTY, execute D/R2/L002.

BERTY v.2.0.8: AFFIRMATIVE.

26XlWRC.jpg

CORALD: What was that?!

ROZER: Landers separation. Gentlemen, your role will be to search for clues and try to grasp what we're dealing with. Our understanding of Duna and its history is still very limited, even after “Yinghuoâ€Â. You were trained for this and you are prepared for this. The only difference for you will be the time you are going to spend down there.

xBF1GBL.jpg

WHuTWhj.jpg

JEDGEL: I don't think I follow.

ROZER: It's simple, really. We're parting ways – to complete the mission we still have to investigate the outer System. You, however, are going to stay here as the crew of the Duna Base 01.

FERTOP: What?! For how long?

ROZER: One year, at least. This should be enough time to gather sufficient data to prove or falsify some of our theories. You're going to build the fundaments for further examination.

MALLOCK: Further examination? So there will be more? More missions?

ROZER: Naturally.

GENANAND: So let me get this clear – we'll spend the next year on Duna conducting scientific experiments so that the next mission can use this knowledge to start the real exploration?

XLc4hgl.jpg

ROZER: Yes.

MALLOCK: …

FERTOP: But we will be studying the Source - I mean, what we suspect it's the Source - itself, right? So why don't we just…

ROZER: No, you won't.

JEDGEL: Okay, I have no idea what's going on. We are going to investigate the Source without investigating it?

ROZER: You will use robots to gather more information. However, you won't come closer to it than several dozen kilometers. In fact, the landing site is so far away you won't be able to do it at all.

GENANAND: But… why?

ROZER: Precaution. Safety. Until we know what it is, why it is there, how does it work and what's it purpose, we won't risk close encounter.

CORALD: Do the rest of the crew know about it? About us staying here?

X5eaDPW.jpg

ROZER: They will know in due time. One more thing – you aren't allowed to communicate with them, so don't even bother. I'm really sorry but this is necessary. However you will be able to contact with me, BERTY or KSC.

MALLOCK: :sigh:

ROZER: Don't worry, professor. You won't stay down there that long.

JEDGEL: Okay, capt... commander, it's getting really annoying. Could you please just tell us what's going on without mincing words?

ROZER: As I told you several times, you all have been selected for the Duna Exploration Team. However, your abilities still will be needed later and due to mission constrains we couldn't have taken more scientists onboard then we did. That's why you, professor Mallock, and you, doctor Genanand, won't stay here with the rest of the team for a whole year. You are coming with us, with “Proteusâ€Â. Before the transfer window opens however your task will be the same as theirs.

MALLOCK: But we will land on Duna, right?

ROZER: Yes. Your skills are needed down there.

PATLIE: This is all very confusing but if I remember correctly, using two LAMGMLs as landers simultaneously is prohibited, so there is no way both of them can land on the planet.

JEDGEL: And there is still Ike to investigate. How are we going to…?

ROZER: Very good point. We will use only one LAMGML naturally – as you pointed it out, captain Patlie, using both landers at the same time will pose unnecessary risk to the mission. That's why we won't use them both.

FERTOP: So how…?

BERTY v.2.0.8: ROVER 2 HAS LANDED.

ROZER: Excellent. Gentlemen, in a few minutes you are about to see our landing site.

9uTtxRU.jpg

JEDGEL: Err, commander? Why BERTY speaks so weirdly?

ROZER: Safe mode. He's having some problems with the latest update, as it seems, but don't worry, it's probably nothing serious. Anyhow, does anyone have more questions before we proceed?

MALLOCK: The landing?

ROZER: Oh, yes. Captain Patlie together with doctor Fertop and doctor Jedgel will land near to the habitat module using LAMGML. The rest of us will use the DAV.

PATLIE: DAV?

ROZER: Duna Ascent Vehicle. You'll need it to come back to orbit after your mission is over or in case of emergency.

CORALD: As a physician responsible for the crew health there is something I must ask about – will we be getting more supplies? I don't think that habitat module alone will suffice for longer than a few months.

ROZER: Of course. Yes, what is it?

PATLIE: We can use DAV to come back to orbit, I get it – but then what? “Proteus†will be billions of kilometers from here, right?

ROZER: That's true. But if you remember what I said earlier, your mission is just a beginning of Duna exploration. The small space station will be build above the planet and Payload B will be its core.

BERTY v.2.0.8: ROVER 2 HAS CONFIRMED THE FAVORABLE CONDITIONS OF THE LANDING SITE D.

HZtQEtF.jpg

s8F4Qss.jpg

ROZER: Which means we are go for landing. :smiles: Is that all? We will have a lot time to chat once we are down there, so if there are more questions you can be sure your curiosity will be appeased. Within reason, of course – mission's good is the top priority. Nobody? Very good – let's proceed then. BERTY, deorbit the base modules and initiate the autopilot – we're landing in the site D.

BERTY v.2.0.8: AFFIRMATIVE.

eyICSLg.jpg

wWFhD6b.jpg

FERTOP: So, what do you think about all this? I'm still a little overwhelmed, to be honest.

JEDGEL: Yeah, me too. It's a lot to handle in such a short time. And now we're going to land on Duna. Damn.

PATLIE: I don't know what about you but I'm confident that everything's gonna be alright. We're staying on Duna even longer than we dreamed to and we may be on the verge of one of the most important discoveries ever. It's incredible.

FERTOP: Well, yeah but aren't you a little concerned that we find out about all this now, after more then 20 months? Kod, and what about our training back on Kerbin? They lied to us for years.

PATLIE: I don't think “lie†is a appropriate word. After all, they told us everything, just a little later.

FERTOP: Are you kidding? And how come you know that we know everything? Maybe there are some things they are still hiding? Did you think about that?

JEDGEL: Hey, don't be paranoid. Yes, it's a little weird and for me captain's approach to sharing his knowledge is also…

PATLIE: Commander, he's a commander now.

JEDGEL: Oh, right. Well, Rozer's approach is weird too. But it's not such a big deal.

FERTOP: Okay, now I don't get it, guys. He prohibited any communication with “Proteus†- why? Did something happen onboard?

PATLIE: Come on, they have reasons to no to tell everyone. We're a small, selected group, so they can tell us, right? It's just that the other didn't pass the tests, that's all.

FERTOP: Aren't we all selected? The fact that we are here as the crew of the “Proteus†indicates that they already chosed – why didn't they tell us all about it?

JEDGEL: Because it's so big and they don't want any leaks?

FERTOP: That doesn't convince me.

x2X6gO0.jpg

PATLIE: Deorbit burn in 120 seconds. Doctor, can you stop with this conspiracy theories? Rozen is our superior with authority of the KSC. BERTY acknowledges that and so should we. When I was in the Air Force we didn't question orders like this, we just followed them.

FERTOP: Good for you. But I have this thing called brain and I can clearly see that something's wrong. It just doesn't add up.

JEDGEL: I don't think I can agree completely but yeah, there's something weird going on. Don't you think Patlie?

PATLIE: No, I don't think so.

FERTOP: Kod, try to think for yourself at least once, man!

PATLIE: Like captain Jeb, right?

JEDGEL: Not this again…

FERTOP: Yeah, maybe you should. What's your problem with him anyway?

PATLIE: He was discrediting authority of commander Bob, he ignored direct order from his superior and he punched commander Rozer in the face. I don't think that's the proper behavior.

FERTOP: Hey, he've had reasons to do so.

PATLIE: 60 seconds. Sure, why don't we all start to ignore KSC and just fly wherever we fancy?

FERTOP: Don't try to…

PATLIE: Ridicule it? I don't have to. We're in space, billions of kilometers from Kerbin, alone. Several centimeters from us there is a vacuum filled with deadly radiation. We're alive only because of the advanced technology. And we are here in the first place to fulfill our mission. That's it. It's not cowboys and Indians, it's not an adventure – we're on a mission! And to survive and complete it we need to follow our orders. Without order there is chaos and chaos plus space equals death.

JEDGEL: Now that was unexpected.

PATLIE: Oh shut up, egghead.

FERTOP: Is it really so? Or maybe you are just jealous?

PATLIE: …

JEDGEL: Fertop, please.

FERTOP: No, no. Are you? Some inferiority complex? Great captain Jebediah who flew to the Jool and came back and you on the same ship? Hmm? Come on, tell me. Why is it so that…

9cm4u4X.jpg

FERTOP: Argh! You could give us a warning, asshole! Frakin' acceleration…

PATLIE: I did. I have a work to do, so please be so kind and shut up.

15UWP2j.jpg

PATLIE: Okay, we're entering the atmosphere.

JEDGEL: We'll be the first people to walk on the surface – ugh! - since “Yinghuoâ€Â. Maybe both of you should concentrate on that.

PATLIE: I'm concentrating on the aerocapture right now, so please shut up. Oh crap.

FERTOP: What?

PATLIE: I detect signals from rover and habitat module but I'm not getting anything from the second module.

bMzLGyi.jpg

JEDGEL: That's not good, I think – Kod, what are you…?!

PATLIE: Turbulences, we're going deeper into the atmosphere. Hold tight!

sAGZo5J.jpg

FERTOP: Maybe you should use – Kod! - use autolanding assistant?

PATLIE: I'am!

SdjB2nd.jpg

JEDGEL: Aren't we going too fast? I think we're going too fast!

PATLIE: Crap, altimeter is not responding. Give me altitude, now!

FERTOP: I can't see through the engine exhaust!

qQeoUHk.jpg

PATLIE: Listen up! I'm going to turn off the engine…

JEDGEL: What?!

PATLIE: …for a few seconds and then you'll tell me how high we are.

FERTOP: Why don't we use parachute?

PATLIE: We need to land close to the hab module. Do it!

OUQq2Eu.jpg

JEDGEL: Oh crap, we're falling, we're falling!

PATLIE: Fertop!

FERTOP: We're, uhm, five or four – I see the hab module, 100 or so meters!

PATLIE: Good!

5Q7TZrJ.jpg

0dUxHqc.jpg

cfigRJM.jpg

PATLIE: Touchdown!

JEDGEL: Oh my Kod…

FERTOP: We're on Duna! We really are!

JEDGEL: Did we land next to the hab module?

PATLIE: Probably. Give me a sec. Okay, external camera is online. Let's find out.

EgT0Mw8.jpg

XUj0lda.jpg

HyEdVlT.jpg

PATLIE: Yes! 70 meters at most.

FERTOP: Okay, you're an asshole but I'll give you that – nice landing.

PATLIE: You are welcome. Payload B, this is “Beta†- we've landed!

6Htc84j.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: SEPARATION CONFIRMED.

t5Z0Cfr.jpg

ROZER: Good. Decoupling fairings on my mark. Mark.

DKBaqUL.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: FAIRINGS DECOUPLED.

ROZER: Unfolding solar panels. Checking SAS and RCS.

jhRMf6M.jpg

ROZER: Okay, everything's nominal. Preparing for deorbit burn.

MALLOCK: I hate landings.

GENANAND: Hey – this is Duna we're landing on. The Red Planet. Aren't you excited?

MALLOCK: I'm I guess. But I would be a hell of a lot calmer if I knew about this lander for a little longer then few hours.

ROZER: Relax, professor. This machine is even more reliable than LAMGML. Prepare everyone. Burn in five, four, three, two, one, burn initiated.

PYB8RgY.jpg

NPwpdI2.jpg

ROZER: And done. Coasting to the Kerman line.

MALLOCK: Commander?

ROZER: Yes?

MALLOCK: You said before that the mission will continue, that “Proteus†won't abort to Kerbin.

ROZER: Yes.

MALLOCK: But we don't have the AMU, do we? And what we thought was Laythe Lander turned out to be DAV. So I wonder…

ROZER: You'll get your answers, professor. When the time is right.

IsMuV1f.jpg

MALLOCK: And what about Ike then?

ROZER: What about it?

MALLOCK: Who is going there?

ROZER: You'll see.

MALLOCK: :sigh:

ROZER: Patience, professor.

BERTY v.2.0.8: DUNA ASCENT VEHICLE HAS ENTERED THE ATMOSPHERE. AUTOPILOT INITIATED.

woH2RT3.jpg

GENANAND: I have to admit that this is somewhat unnerving.

ROZER: I'm afraid I must agree. It's taking slightly too long for system checkup.

4zp8AuJ.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: AEROBRAKING IN PROGRESS

GENANAND: Maybe it's more serious than we thought?

ROZER: Don't jump to the conclusions, doctor.

CORALD: Commander, there is one more thing.

ROZER: Yes?

CORALD: All our medical supplies were in the module R. And because it landed more than 20 kilometers from the landing site…

ROZER: That's not a problem at all. You'll see.

BERTY v.2.0.8: WARNING. LOW FUEL LEVEL.

NZQA11C.jpg

GENANAND: Oh crap.

ROZER: Continue, BERTY.

MALLOCK: Continue? But…

ROZER: Professor. Please.

MALLOCK: …

TSwwZtJ.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: WARNING. CRITICAL FUEL LEVEL.

ROZER: Manual control. Here we go.

MALLOCK: :fast breathing:

BERTY v.2.0.8: 8 KILOMETERS. WARNING. CRITICAL FUEL LEVEL.

GENANAND: Err, commander?

BERTY v.2.0.8: 7 KILOMETERS. WARNING. CRITICAL FUEL LEVEL.

GENANAND: Shouldn't we use parachutes?

BERTY v.2.0.8: 6 KILOMETERS. WARNING. CRITICAL FUEL LEVEL.

MALLOCK: :fast breathing:

GENANAND: We have parachutes, right?

ROZER: Quiet.

BERTY v.2.0.8: 5 KILOMETERS. WARNING. ENGINE CUTOFF IN 10 SECONDS

CORALD: Kod…

GENANAND: Commander?!

BERTY v.2.0.8: 4 KILOMETERS. WARNING. ENGINE CUTOFF IN 5 SECONDS

oghMOR6.jpg

ROZER: Switching to AV main engine.

FyIGJz8.jpg

t47uwjF.jpg

KyGzGph.jpg

R3fazKU.jpg

lVVr0IM.jpg

9W0KN3O.jpg

ROZER: And touchdown. Is everyone all right?

CORALD: I think professor Mallock passed out.

GENANAND: Alright? Alright?! You didn't tell us we have fuel for the other engine! You scared us to death, you sick bastard!

ROZER: Careful, doctor, you're speaking to your superior. Of course we have one more – how do you think Duna Exploration Team is going to come back to orbit? I'm disappointed – it appears you're not so cool-headed after all.

GENANAND: Wha…but…this… you did it on purpose? It was another test?

ROZER: You all failed, I'm afraid. Now, calm down and look around you – we're on Duna, doctor.

sqg6Nub.jpg

ROZER: Safe and sound after perfect landing, may I add. I don't think even captain Jebediah could land so flawlessly. It's amazing what you can accomplish with everyday training actually.

GENANAND: …

CORALD: He's waking up.

ROZER: Good. Let's not waste more time then - prepare for EVA.

gOUqMvQ.jpg

1f96sYr.png

ROZER: I'm going down. Just a few steps… there. We did it. Oh Kod, we did it.

BERTY v.2.0.8: COMMANDER?

ROZER: It's so beautiful. Astonishing, completely astonishing. :sobs: Kod.

BERTY v.2.0.8: COMMANDER?

ROZER: :sobs: That's nothing, BERTY. Ahem. Yes. So here we are, almost half of our mission completed. Isn't that something.

BERTY v.2.0.8: YES COMMANDER.

ROZER: How ironic: after all these months in deep space, traveling from one planet to another, only here we can finally truly begin.

JqHbAVF.jpg

MISSION STATUS

L73KFq3.png

Edited by czokletmuss

Wow, you gave us a few shockers, gave us a punch to the face in terms of story line, and are telling, and foreshadowing, the most amazing story ever in KSP history.

I salute you Czokletmuss.

tumblr_lp2hbd5uHk1qzil9q.gif

Thank you.

I want Rozer in a fist fight on an alien planet in some dirt Captain Kirk style.

Rozer is lying. They'll be stuck on Duna forever unless the others can stop him! To arms, to arms!

I'm afraid you're right. I hope that BERTY manages to save them and leave Rozer alone on Duna to deal with whatever there is. Unless BERTY goes insane and tries to kill everyone of course. Then they are probably ****ed.

This is such an emotional rollercoaster. Despite it being a realistic story, I hope for a 'good' ending. Think Mass Effect style; you can't save exactly everything, but the losses won't overshadow the victory.

I'm afraid you're right. I hope that BERTY manages to save them and leave Rozer alone on Duna to deal with whatever there is. Unless BERTY goes insane and tries to kill everyone of course. Then they are probably ****ed.

He's just a happy camper.

This is such an emotional rollercoaster. Despite it being a realistic story, I hope for a 'good' ending. Think Mass Effect style; you can't save exactly everything, but the losses won't overshadow the victory.

Or will they?! :dum dum:

I am starting to hate Rozer more than Bob, and I never realized that was possible. Great chapter otherwise.

*Kirk yell* ROZERRRR!]

Buried alive. Buried alive.

I call dibs on the theory there hasn't been any orders from KSC since at least Eve, just check ups and mission status reports etc.

Interesting theory.

There is a lot going on and I don't want to spend time describing every detail. That's why I decided to just show you some thing (literally) which won't be described in the story. In a way, I'm just showing you what's going on off-screen. It's just a test to see if you are interested in something like this, so some feedback would be great :) Enjoy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.