[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

I'm sorry, but I have to say..

wat

Erm, sorry. That quote, 'ALL OF IT' was her catch phrase. I guess she pinched it from somewhere else first. It's the Homestuck webcomic in case you didn't know. She was usually talking about her luck. She has all the luck, ALL OF IT. *ahem* I'll be quiet now.

CHAPTER 27

ORBITAL OPERATIONS: PAYLOAD B

hvKkp2H.jpg

Personal log, entry 20 (51). Or should I write “commander's log� A lot has changed since the last time I used my notebook. There's something very reassuring in hand writing with a simple pencil in the middle of this all high-tech. And I think that this is what we need the most at this very moment – peace of mind. I have no idea what happened after I passed out down there. Nobody knows except for Rozer, and this bastard of course doesn't want to talk. Whatever happened, BERTY addresses me now as a commander and obeys my orders. Is it because of the virus, like Ned says? Anyways, it appears that one of Rozer's schemes backfired horribly. I locked him in habitat module B – I hope he'll appreciate the irony. Speaking of which, he was right – I have almost no problems moving around the “Proteus†with my leg. Doctor is really concerned about it, he says that we have no data about fracture healing in microgravity. Today he finally convinced me to start taking painkillers. I just hope they won't cloud my judgment. And there are really big decisions coming. I feel like there will be a lot of entries in the next few days.

Commander's log, entry 52. Feeling better. I tried to get some information from BERTY about what happened back on Duna but he keeps saying that he was still rebooting during our little confrontation. I'm a little worried – is it possible that he's hiding something? That he's still listening to Rozer's orders and this is just one more cynical game of his? I don't know but we still have no contact with people in the base and currently we don't even have LAMGML on board. We're confined in “Proteusâ€Â.

Commander's log, entry 53. I still have some problems with speaking but it wasn't that bad. Today we were discussing what to do next. Basically there are two ideas – either we demand answers from KSC and than maybe continue the mission or we just abort to Kerbin as soon as we can. The problem is that the transfer window back to home opens in 4 months. On the other hand, we don't have to hurry with the decision. But for obvious reasons, morale is really low right now, so situation should be clarified as soon as possible. It's hard to believe that the aerobraking happened only few days ago.

RIO9BfM.jpg

Commander's log, entry 54. Still no decision. KSC asked for the reasons of our silence in the last few days; I told BERTY to fake some kind of malfunction in the communication equipment. This should give us more time. Kod, they have no idea what has happened here.

Commander's log, entry 55. Still nothing. I talked about it with Sid and Ned with predictable results – Ned is pissed and wants to return to home and Sid argues that there is still a lot of science to be done. I guess he's partially right – who's better equipped to deal with a mystery as big as we suppose it is than us? Only we have sufficient experience. Besides, to surrender right now would be like to land on the Mun once or twice and than never come back. What's the point of exploration if we don't want to continue it? Continuing the mission without KSC's secrets and Rozer's machinations seems to be a good idea – after all, we still have BERTY and the most advanced spacecraft ever built. But as Ned pointed out, if they were willing to imprison and shoot members of the crew to protect their goals, can we be sure that there are no more safeguards, no more surprises? I don't know.

Commander's log, entry 56. The decision is yet to be made but whatever we're going to do, we're gonna need fuel and supplies. As BERTY suggested, whatever the final outcome will be, we should complete the scheduled orbital operations. He's right; besides, the crew can use some distraction. After all, aborting the mission for which most of us dedicated their careers and years of hard work to is a lot to take. I think I have a fever – doctor said that the microgravity weakens the immune system, so he's giving me some antibiotics. Frakin Rozer. I would probably have to talk with him at some time, but for now he's completely cut off from the rest of us. I wonder how does he like this, having no idea what's going on?

Commander's log, entry 57. Our first task will be to randez-vous with the Duna Transfer Module from the Payload-B. Well, actually it will randez-vous with us since we're almost out of delta-V. The reason for this is that the DTM weighs more than 100 tones – any problems during the randez-vous could severely damage the Payload-B. And in that way only “Proteus†can be damaged. Frakin KSC and their protocols.

yyYquEU.jpg

yfh4Zm1.jpg

IVAbLuu.jpg

mUO1ds1.jpg

G0OaRI9.jpg

Commander's log, entry 58. Done. Now we only need to transfer the fuel and other supplies. I feel really bad – without BERTY I don't know if I could handle this.

6gcJo9w.jpg

8LrwdKx.jpg

Commander's log, entry 59. Good news – fever is gone and we've finished all the operations with the DTM. KSC is really alarmed as it seems but all they are getting from us are false reports about telecoms system. It also seems that slowly the majority of the crew is going to vote for abort. We still have a lot of time to decide, fortunately. Next goal – randez-vous with the Payload B.

Z5FOzxF.jpg

Z4gREki.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: All systems nominal, commander. We're ready to initiate the cargo transfer.

oQ9yAT8.jpg

JEB: Let's get this over with, BERTY – you may begin.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Affirmative. Releasing the kethane tank A1.

5AYlbQ8.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Payload-B1 detached. Docking in progress.

uH5QGPO.jpg

JEB: I hope there will be no surprises. Johndon, are you ready to operate the robotic arms?

JOHNDON: Yes c-commander. There will be n-no collision with “Proteus†sir, I w-won't let it happen.

JEB: I know. You're there only in case of emergency, but stay frosty.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Docking in 5 seconds.

8IoP8C1.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Docking completed. Securing the connection.

JEB: Very nice, BERTY. I hope – what the frak?

JOHNDON: C-commander? I lost all readings, is this…?

JEB: Wait, I have them back. Another error, BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes. It appears that connecting “Proteus†to the Payload-B1 caused a small malfunction of the mission's clock.

JEB: Great. Is this serious?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Negative. I restarted the mission's clock and it's now operational. Synchronization between “Proteus†and LAMGMLs is advised. However, this event reset the clock. Error occurred at 585 days 1 hour 20 minutes and 28 seconds into the mission.

Yb7axxA.jpg

JEB: As long as you can calculate the correct date I don't care what's on screen. Let's proceed.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Affirmative. Docking Module PB-1 separation.

Csch0g3.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Payload-B2 detached. Docking in progress.

hKJf03y.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Docking completed. Securing connection.

y3n1OJt.jpg

SID: Hey Jeb.

JEB: Hey pal. You came here to take a look? Nothing really interesting, believe me.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Docking Module PB-1 separation.

RJZjwMu.jpg

SID: Maybe not for you, but this probes will be landing on moons of Jool so yes, their condition is quite interesting for me

JEB: Assuming we'll go there.

SID: Yes.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Initiating LAMGML autodocking protocol.

E7pe34B.jpg

SID: Have you thought about docking to the Payload-B? People could use more space.

JEB: I did. But if something happens on Duna this is their safe heaven, we can't risk damaging it during randez-vous.

SID: Ah, contingency.

JEB: Yup. Even now we're too close for me – as soon as we're done, we're getting out of here to the new parking orbit.

jqInuiv.jpg

SID: From which we could perform interplanetary transfer burn. I get it. But where, Jeb? What should we do?

JEB: Hell if I know. There are good reasons to abandon this mission, you know. But if you're right about this whole extrakerbestrial life thing… I can't imagine we can just walk away from it.

MIvjU2M.jpg

SID: Me neither.

JOHNDON: Sir, are we going to need robotic arms?

JEB: No but thanks that you were on your guard. Prepare for the separation, Johdon.

JOHNDON: Oh. Y-yes, sir.

GzcsPx1.jpg

SID: I really hope we won't be needing those.

JEB: We won't. Even KSC won't sabotage their own plans, right? However, I still... Hey, are you listening to me? Stop eyeballing what's left of the Payload and…

SID: Jeb, did you take a good look at it?

JEB: Why?

n6ZATUq.jpg

SID: We know that there is a base on Duna which modules were attached to the Payload. We know that there are modules for “Proteus†to carry, we know there are probes and other equipment and we know that there is also a Duna Ascent Vehicle. That is a lot of stuff, right?

JEB: What are trying to say?

SID: Where is the Laythe lander?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Robotic arms separation completed.

XXLHykY.jpg

MISSION STATUS

PKbCyLV.png

Edited by czokletmuss

And another truly great chapter! Looking forward to see what kind of surprises they are going to experience (because nothing works without surprises, eh?). I've just come home from my vacation, so i'll be able to check for new chapters more often (basically all the time^^) and annoy you with stupid questions and such ;-P

Nice chapter. That mission clock thing happened to me too during the events of my Outreach story. The Libra docked to a refuelling ship and had its clock reset. A bit annoying really, but oh well. I look forward to the next chapter :)

There will be MOAR this week, not only for the Grand Tour but Space Race as well :)

And another truly great chapter! Looking forward to see what kind of surprises they are going to experience (because nothing works without surprises, eh?). I've just come home from my vacation, so i'll be able to check for new chapters more often (basically all the time^^) and annoy you with stupid questions and such ;-P

No problem, I always try to answer for all questions :)

KSC's secret machinations continue...great chapter, czok!
Awesome new chapter, thank you!

Thanks guys!

CHAPTER 28

IKE LANDING

rFIYszf.jpg

DANREY: Transfer burn completed. We're on course, professor – we'll be in Ike's SOI within hours.

SID: Danrey, how many times I told you to stop this? Just use my name, okay? It's almost two years since we left Kerbin.

DANREY: I'm sorry, prof… Sid.

b9YXu7K.jpg

SID: That's better. Speaking of “Proteusâ€Â, I am so relieved to finally leave it. I think before all this is over I'll start hating this spacecraft with passion.

DANREY: She's the prettiest ship there is, Sid.

SID: Maybe but since Bob's death everything is just slowly falling apart. Problems with AMU, this EVA accident, aerobraking and now this whole situation with Rozer.

DANREY: I don't know what about captain Rozer but at least we can repair the damage caused by the aerobraking. Chief Ned was confident about this.

SID: He was? Well, I guess we need the heatshield if we want to come back home. Or we can just use the engines, but judging how lucky we are… Tell me something, Danrey – do you think we should abort the mission?

DANREY: The crew will decide.

SID: We are the crew, Dan. Listen, I know you like this stoic and calm facade of yours but come on, you must have opinion about it. So what is it – Jool or Kerbin?

DANREY: Honestly, I don't know. If there really is something down there it would be treason to our species to just give up knowing that we may be on the verge of a discovery of such magnitude. I know that, uhm, you're a strong supporter of the theory that they may've found some signs of intelligent life on Duna.

SID: It would explain this extreme precaution, that's for sure.

DANREY: Probably. But even if they found, I don't know, some algae this would be the greatest thing in our history since the first step on the Mun.

SID: Yeah, but don't tell this to Jeb – since Bob he doesn't like to talk about the landing. So you think we should continue than?

DANREY: Not really, Sid.

SID: Why, if I may ask?

DANREY: Well, it's not like I'm in the middle of this like you or commander Jeb, but there are some obvious signs that it may not be the wisest move.

SID: Yes?

DANREY: First of all, we still don't really know what the KSC wants from us. If they wanted us to explore Jool system, why there is no Laythe lander attached to the Payload? Why instead there is a habitat module for the base on Duna? Than we have Rozer, who claimed that he was merely following orders from Kerbin. I know that chief Ned thinks that he's lying, but what if he's not? And what about our people down there? Are we going to leave them? Take them with us to Jool? Will they comply if we decide to abort? We still are unable to communicate with them, who knows what's going on down there.

SID: Good points. But BERTY is working on it.

DANREY: And that's another problem. BERTY is the soul of the “Proteusâ€Â, an on board AI controlling all subsystems without which we can't proceed, that's for sure. But recently his behavior is erratic, isn't it? This malfunctions, glitches, reboots. I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid but can we be sure he can be trusted?

SID: Okay, now you've gone to far. Why shouldn't we trust BERTY? You think he's a some kind of a psychopathic computer who wants to murder us? Come on, you must've been reading some lame science fiction recently. If he wanted us dead, we will already be dead – he controls the ship after all, he can lower the pressure or overload the reactors or just shut down everything. No, this is silly. I think he's just trying to follow his orders. I just wish we know what exactly Rozer or KSC told him to do.

DANREY: But he won't talk, will he?

SID: And what shall we do about it, torture him? We're scientists and kerbonauts, for Kod's sake.

DANREY: Anyways, there is one more reason why we should consider continuing the mission very carefully – we don't have enough supplies. We've lost AMU, so we can't refuel; if anything goes wrong, we can be stuck in Jool system forever. KSC told us that they're going to solve this problem but we don't know how exactly and probably we won't be able to use whatever they send to us without cooperating with Kerbin. So that's it.

SID: You're a very reasonable man, Danrey. I'm glad you're with us.

DANREY: Thank you.

SID: And you are right. :sigh: Whatever happens, we have to consider all consequences. I still think we should continue – with Rozer hold hostage and BERTY's help we have some leverage over KSC. Besides, we still have their multitrillion spacecraft and I believe they want this mission completed more than anyone of us. We should continue. For science.

DANREY: With all due respect, I don't think a lot of crew members is going to agree with you.

SID: I can't blame them for this. But all things considered, isn't this the reason we are here? I mean, you have to be a little crazy to agree for such a mission in the first place. So I say we just make this one more step – and we all know how important they can be, don't we?

DANREY: :smiles:

x6vaXyF.jpg

DANREY: Orbit insertion burn in progress, 5 seconds left!

SID: Uh! I really hate this.

DANREY: And done! Checking… yes, we've achieved orbit.

tP8dgeN.jpg

SID: Wonderful! Let's not waste time than – when we're landing?

DANREY: One orbit, prof… uhm, Sid.

SID: Great, I really can't wait to examine the surface. Finally something important to do!

vIRXKbf.png

ZwV2w6K.png

FYLh7TY.jpg

SID: To be able to look at this red planet hanged in the sky just like Kerbin seen from the surface of the Mun is truly mind-boggling. I wish more people could see this.

6MTB0IV.jpg

DANREY: That's pretty nice first words, Sid.

SID: Yeah, like anybody cares about this stuff anymore. It's not the first mun we're landing on, mind you. First landing on another planet, on the other hand…

XmBR0pR.png

SID: It's been more than 12 years since the “Jingwei†landed on Duna. To think that we're the first to see what they've seen is really amazing, don't you think?

DANREY: Mhm.

SID: I think because of all this tragedies and secrets and accidents we've lost what's most important – ability to wonder. We're in deep space above the alien planet and we behave like we don't really care, you know what I mean?

DANREY: Speaking about awe and wonder, you may want to take a close look at Duna right now.

ir52oLt.jpg

SID: Oh?

DANREY: The Sun is rising.

33R09YN.jpg

SID: Good Kod…

DANREY: I – I don't know what to say.

SID: …

DANREY: …

SID: …

DANREY: We can't abort. We have to continue the mission.

SID: :weeps:

DANREY: Professor? Sid, uhm, is everything alright?

SID: I'm sorry, it's just… it makes it all worth it. All of it. Do you understand, Danrey?

DANREY: Yes.

SID: Oh Kod. Ahem. Okay, there is still work to be done, we've only 48 hours for this site. I'm going to take the first samples.

CiM6LZs.jpg

DANREY: Burn completed, orbit achieved. We're going to change inclination now, Sid.

SID: Good. The polar regions are the most promising for the potential future outpost. There should be a lot of ice in the eternal shadow of some of the craters – if we find it, well…

DANREY: Water to drink and oxium to breath, shield against radiation and it can be processed to make more fuel through electrolysis.

SID: And we can even use hydrogen peroxide to make more monopropellant. Very good, Danrey!

DANREY: There was a lot spare time in the last months and I like to read. Changing inclination in three, two, one, ignition!

Fk3J5Qh.jpg

GFOkc7s.png

LXGU950.jpg

jwb3JSk.png

3hf0fcF.jpg

SID: It's so dark here, on the top of the world.

74MTZer.png

DANREY: I didn't think I would say that, but the view is even more magnificent from here.

SID: Indeed. I'm placing the flag.

8lyE7PY.png

SID: Done. Like it matters who exactly came here.

DANREY: Excuse me?

SID: Nothing. I just always thought that the space exploration should be a goal towards which whole kerbkind works together. Why do we need flags? It's not the Cold War anymore.

ESg6ugH.png

DANREY: Symbols are important, Sid.

SID: I guess they are. But we've came here to find ice.

Yf3IJ5J.png

XxMqhWu.png

DANREY: [And liftoff. Don't be so sad, professor. I know you don't want to leave, but we've found ice and you took a lot of samples. The sooner we're back, the sooner you're going to analyze them.

kYOHURl.png

SID: I know, I know. Four days at Ike it's nothing. If we are ever going to establish some permanent presence on Duna, we're going to need this mun and its resource. It's such a shame that everyone from the science team except me was sent by Rozer down there.

DANREY: Well, whatever we decide to do we still have a few months before any of the transfer windows opens, so…

SID: What is it?

0OnBI7K.jpg

DANREY: It's strange, but LAMGML is detecting something on low Ike orbit.

SID: Holy moly. Could it be an asteroid? Captured meteorite? Remnants of some probe?

DANREY: I don't think it could be a probe, the orbit is too inclined and highly eccentric.

SID: An asteroid then. The mun of the mun… But so close to the Duna it's impossible to maintain stable orbit above Ike, it must be something relatively new.

DANREY: Hmm. It's seems that this body is highly metallic.

SID: Fascinating. We have to investigate! Patch me up to “Proteusâ€Â, I need to speak with Jeb. We still have consumables for a next day or so, right? Do we have enough delta-V for randez-vous?

DANREY: Yes, I think so but I need more date for the computer to calculate this.

SID: Good. Who would've thought that we discover something like this, huh? I guess this mun has more secrets than anyone could've anticipated.

YpUltFI.jpg

MISSION STATUS

956rpja.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.