czokletmuss

CHAPTER 32

GOING HOME

5mYFN04.jpg

SID: :humming:

NED: Please stop that.

SID: Sorry.

JEB: Don't worry, we're all nervous.

NED: I still think that the voting shouldn't be secret. We're all like a family after these two years, so why the secret voting? We had to use pages from your notebook Jeb – it's just plain silly.

JEB: It's my decision, okay? This way we can avoid unnecessary tension, whatever the result will be.

SID: :humming:

NED: Whatever. I'm just glad that we're finally going to decide what we – WILL YOU PLEASE STOP?!

SID: I'm sorry, I'm sorry!

JEB: :sigh:

NED: Dammit, this waiting is killing me.

DANREY: I think it's kinda funny. You know, that we had to use pieces of paper and waste bag as a ballot box.

NED: It's a good metaphor actually. Why do we even play in this whole democracy thing? Jeb is the commander and he should-

JEB: Johndon! Do you have the results?

JOHNDON: Y-yes. Every m-member of the crew has cast his v-vote.

oWovPw5.jpg

NED: Finally! So, what are the results?

JOHNDON: I h-have them here. Here you are, J-Jeb.

JEB: Thanks. Hmm.

SID: And?

JEB: Number of votes is correct…

NED: Just tell us!

JEB: We're going home.

8BO9CgJ.jpg

NED: Yes! Yes, yes, yes!

DANREY: Well, I have to admit it's good to at last get this over with.

JOHNDON: I g-guess…

NED: 8 votes for Kerbin! And only 3 for continuing the mission – I wonder who voted for this? I mean, besides you Sid.

fvzT6Tf.jpg

SID: I don't know.

JEB: Well, it's done. Go tell the rest of the crew. We have several days to finish our preparations for the transfer burn.

NED: Sure thing. Hey, guys! I have a good news!

JEB: Sid, could you wait for a second?

SID: What is it?

JEB: I want to talk in private, so…

DANREY: We're going – come on, Johndon.

(…)

SID: So what is it?

JEB: Three votes for Jool. I'm sure as hell that Mallock and Genanand voted for it after they spent almost half a year on Duna. I suspect that Jonhdon also voted for it, considering what he has been saying during the last weeks and his reaction now.

SID: And?

JEB: Mallock, Genenand, Johndon and you – this is four people. Why did you vote for Kerbin, Sid?

SID: …

JEB: Damn, you really did vote for aborting the mission, didn't you? Why? You were the biggest advocate for this, you said numerous times that the scientific value-

SID: I changed my mind, okay?

JEB: The hell you did. Listen, you're my best pal for what, a quarter of century? I know when something's wrong, Sid. What is it?

SID: …

JEB: Does it have something to do with Duna? Or Rozer? Or this derelict spacecraft?

SID: No.

JEB: Are you sure? There's nothing you should tell me about?

SID: No.

JEB: Look me in the eyes and say that-

SID: There's nothing you should know about. Can I go now?

JEB: …

SID: Jeb?

JEB: Yes. Go.

Commander's log, entry 75. Honestly I don't know whether I should be happy with the result or not. I voted for returning to home – it was the only choice for me as a commander responsible for his crew. The horror we three experienced while investigating joolian moons cannot be repeated. We can't go there, at least not now. We're all tired after living almost two years in space. I'm not a psychiatrist but I'm worried about the mental condition of the crew in the long run – some of us didn't set a foot on a celestial body for months. I think that after a short stop in Kerbin we'll be in a much better condition to investigate Jool and its dominion. Even thinking about the blue sky above you and being able to go wherever you want… Plus we really need to resupply – I don't even want to think what could happen if the AMU 2.0 fails while we're there. These are fine reasons to come back but somehow I'm not entirely convinced that this is a good solution. Maybe it's the Sid's strange behavior? Whatever the reason, I'm glad the decision has finally been made. Despite of what future will bring, we're going home.

Z22q7ZU.jpg

JEB: Is this the best resolution we can get?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm processing the image from the Duna Space Telescope as we speak, commander.

JEB: Mhm. Please magnify it as much as you can.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Affirmative. Commander?

JEB: Yes?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: It's been one year and 357 days since we've left the low Kerbin orbit. For this whole time, unlike the rest of the crew, you weren't interested in multimedia packages containing imagery from Kerbin, yet now you want me to recalibrate the Duna Space Telescope so you could take a close look at it. This is an interesting change and I'm curious what's the cause of it.

JEB: Well, it's, uhm, it's hard to explain BERTY.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Is it because you miss your life on Kerbin? Strong feeling of loss has been observed in kerbonauts who experienced prolonged isolation while in space.

JEB: Not really. There's nothing for me back there. I've given my whole life to our space program and there probably won't be a greater challenge for a pilot than what this mission poses. It's just that living for so long in space you stop to think about its darkness as something hostile and extraordinary. You forget that and than the darkness inside you grows, if I may be a little poetic. It's this-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Image processing completed.

kOn64Bp.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: You didn't finish the sentence, Jeb.

JEB: Hmm? Yes, yes. Well, if you get accustomed to being here, alone and exposed to the vast Universe, you just… loose yourself, I think. It's good, from time to time, to look back and see the light. Even such a tiny spark suspended in darkness…

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Commander, chief Ned asks for you presence during the engine B test.

JEB: Tell him I'm going.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Affirmative.

JEB: Such a small pale dot…

4nk56cF.jpg

NED: Hey Jeb, I need to you to – what are you doing?

JEB: Hmm? Oh, nothing, just looking at Duna.

NED: Well, you better take a good look at this rock 'cause tomorrow we're finally going out of here.

JEB: Yes... You think that is a right thing to do?

NED: Hey, the people have spoken – who am I to question their choice?

JEB: Come on, Ned.

NED: What do you want me to say? I'll repeat myself but what the hell – this is the best decision a responsible leader could take in our situation and I mean it. I'm glad that everyone has agreed with this and that you didn't have to, you know, use your authority. It's a good choice, Jeb – we can't continue like this, without knowing what's waiting for us, not to mention Rozer still on board. It's been two years. We've done great work, if anyone asks me, and we deserve a little break. In my humble opinion if the KSC won't tell us what's really going on they can shove it and do the mission by themselves. Am I right?

JEB: Yeah, you probably are.

NED: Sure I am. Come on, there's work to do. I swear to Kod, in the last few days you are almost as melancholic as after Bob's dea-

NED: I'm sorry.

JEB: No, you're right – I've to put myself together. Tomorrow is big day, after all.

NED: Yup - we're finally going home.

O499yEB.jpg

BILL: …online and the pressure in inflatable modules is nominal. All acceleration couches are operational. Everything's good on my side, Jeb.

JEB: Okay, everything's been double-checked by us, so I think we are ready BERTY.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Affirmative. Beginning countdown.

BILL: Huh.

JEB: What?

BILL: Nothing. We're just really going.

JEB: Yeah.

BILL: But not everyone is going with us.

eMdFr5R.jpg

JEB: Well, they will get supplies from Kerbin soon and they're working on Duna, every scientist's paradise. Hell, they'll probably have better food than we on our way to home.

BILL: Ha, good point. I don't think I could handle another year of processed urine and rehydratable scrambled eggs.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Transfer burn initiates in 45 seconds.

JEB: It could be worse – you remember what they gave us during Apollo?

BILL: Oh please, I'll never forget this crappy taste. What was it called again?

JEB: Wetpacks!

BILL: Yeah, right. Remember what they were saying about it? “Thermally stabilized mean in a flexible can, you're gonna love itâ€Â. Yuck. And the chocolate pudding? Do you remember chocolate pudding?

JEB: It tasted like diarrhea.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Transfer burn initiates in 30 seconds.

BILL: And it looked like one!

JEB: And what about Gemini? Shrimp cocktail, my Kod – and then after eating this you had to withstand several gees during the reentry. What genius came up with this idea?

BILL: Eh, it was good all right. Spoon bowl, remember this?

JEB: Ugh, this was disgusting!

BILL: Yes it was! From the three of us I think only Bob enjoyed it.

JEB: Yeah...

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Transfer burn initiates in 15 seconds.

BILL: …

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Transfer burn initiates in 10 seconds.

BILL: Jeb, we-

JEB: Let's just focus on the burn for now, okay?

BILL: Sure.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Transfer burn initiates in 5 seconds. Please prepare for the acceleration.

JEB: Copy that, BERTY.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Transfer burn initiated.

QZRBkGi.jpg

mIUR8Da.png

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Transfer burn completed. Calculating estimated time of the encounter.

BILL: And that's about it.

JEB: Mhm. Few minutes of work and again months of inactivity.

BILL: Just like I told you before the Mun – the best job in the world.

JEB: :smiles:

BILL: I'm going to get some sleep - are you coming?

JEB: In a moment, I'll just wait for BERTY to finish the calculations.

BILL: Okay. See you in the habitat module.

(…)

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Commander.

JEB: Yes? Are the calculations completed?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Affirmative. Estimated time of the encounter is T plus 318 days 21 hours and 51 minutes.

JEB: That's grea- what? Three hundred days? But it takes two months to go home from Duna!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: This is a correct estimation, commander.

JEB: So how come it can take 5 times longer?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm afraid we're not going to Kerbin, Jeb.

39OR4r6.jpg

MISSION STATUS

nvqWBGj.png

Edited by czokletmuss

Called it, indirectly!

More or less :)

ummm.... okay.... what just happened.... Rozer? And please don't do anything with space food from Apollo era, I was going to eat dinner in a few, and I see, tastes like diarrhea....:mad:*pukes*

Good chapter otherwise, and a mean cliff hanger.

My Kerbals spend a lot of time on cliffs :P

BERTY going HAL!!!

Or is he?! :dum dum:

Remember that order Rozer gave Berty?

Nothing is as important as the mission.

Certainly not some silly vote.

You know what they say: "If Democracy changed anything, they'd ban it" :)

I knew that hoping for things to go according to plan was too much. Great chapter!

Thanks! Hey, they sometimes do go according to plan :P

318 days? They are going to Jool!? I thought they are going home...

They also thought they do.

The Breaking Bad Finale and now a new chapter of Grand Tour? I don't think I can handle this!

Is it really that good tv series as they say? I recently saw the finale of Dexter (and I watched all seasons) and it kinda sucked :(

JUST WHEN WE THOUGHT BERTY WAS A GOODY! He turns on us! And by Kod Ned better tell Jeb about the ship soon or im gonna go insane.

:dum dum dum!:

Really?

I did always expect BERTY to be loyal to the mission above all. Probably shouldn't have left that burn up to autopilot...

Nope :)

Probably they shouldn't have.

when will ze next part come out :confused:

Soonâ„¢

Does anyone know some good freeware in which one can make videos? I know I asked about it once but it was few months ago and I don't want to scroll through the whole thread. I'm thinking about making some short recap of what happened so far.

Does anyone know some good freeware in which one can make videos? I know I asked about it once but it was few months ago and I don't want to scroll through the whole thread. I'm thinking about making some short recap of what happened so far.

I've heard good things about vlmc (downloads here), which is from the same people who created VLC media player, and runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. Also, on Linux only, OpenShot is good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.