[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Oh my! ''Postpone all my activities today!'' Oh wait, i don't a secretary... Damn

Quick! Hire a secretary, have her cancel all your appointments today, the you can let her go. No, wait, that would be cruel. Hmmm....

ok! Grab the nearest person, tell them that they are your assistant today, tell then to cancel your appointments today then walk away like the busy business person you are.

hang on a sec...

hey you! Cancel my appointments today. Hey! Put down that middle finger, mister! Fine! No holiday bonus for you!

There, that is sorted out.

:)

Quick! Hire a secretary, have her cancel all your appointments today, the you can let her go. No, wait, that would be cruel. Hmmm....

ok! Grab the nearest person, tell them that they are your assistant today, tell then to cancel your appointments today then walk away like the busy business person you are.

hang on a sec...

hey you! Cancel my appointments today. Hey! Put down that middle finger, mister! Fine! No holiday bonus for you!

There, that is sorted out.

:)

Your comment made me laugh, i'll try doing this next time i'm in town :-D

CHAPTER 35

GIANT

J99TkRg.jpg

THREE MONTHS LATER

SID: Dear Kod…

DANREY: This is the image you showed him, BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes. Chief Ned asked me specifically for a high quality photography of the Jool. “Proteus†visible light cameras can't achieve such resolution due to the still great distance between the ship and the planet. Here you can see the example image taken with the on-board instruments yesterday.

jxJ9eAf.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: The quality was unsatisfactory. Thus chief Ned instructed me to use the Duna Space Telescope. The result is this highly detailed image on which one can see not only Jool but also all three of its kalilean moons.

SID: Tylo, Vall… you can even see the reflection in the global ocean of Laythe…

DANREY: It's very impressive. All right BERTY, so you showed him this and than he stormed out of the command module, right?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: This is correct.

DANREY: Is that everything you know what happened before he locked himself in the habitation module A?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: No. I detected fasten heartbeat and other symptoms typical of reaction to a severe stress. I informed chief Ned about my analysis and advised him to take necessary steps to remain calm. I was concerned that he may suffer from an anxiety attack, which was indicated by the data I was receiving.

DANREY: Are you sure?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes. By comparing the data from chief Ned's biosensors to data gathered during commander's attacks I got a very convincing argument for my analysis. The similarity was striking.

DANREY: Crap. All right, thank you BERTY. We'll better go and – are you okay Sid?

SID: Cosmically astounding…

DANREY: Sid? Are you… are you shivering?

SID: Hmm?

DANREY: BERTY, is he okay?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: All data from the biosensors is nominal.

DANREY: Maybe you should take a stress pill? Seeing Jool after all these years, knowing what you've been through it must-

SID: No, I'm okay. I'm fine.

DANREY: Are you sure?

SID: Yes.

DANREY: Sid, I don't want to sound-

SID: Fine, fine, I'm taking the pill.

DANREY: I'm glad to hear that. Are we going to Ned then?

SID: No.

DANREY: No?

SID: It's the commander's job to take care of his crew, not ours. Where is he, BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Commander is currently in the observatory module.

SID: Thank you. Come on, Dan.

DANREY: Wouldn't it be better if we don't involve him in this? You know how… fragile his mental state is recently.

SID: No. It's about time he gets his sorry ass to work and start behaving like a true commander of this mission. Are you going with me or what?

DANREY: :sigh:

w4Qb8tS.jpg

SID: Hey?

JEB: …

DANREY: Hello commander. Uhm. How are you doing?

SID: Listen, I know what you're dealing with. I mean, I think I do – most of us have some kind of a depression after all these months in space, you know? But we've a situation here – Ned has locked himself in the hab module A and refuses to let anyone in. We- I'm really worried. He has been behaving strangely in the last several weeks – it's probably the knowledge that the day of our encounter with Jool is closer and closer. And I get it, the last time we were here it was hell. Especially for you both, since I was knocked unconscious pretty soon after we've arrived – remember that?

SID: :sigh: We need you, right know. If Ned's is suffering from some kind of posttraumatic stress disorder, you are probably the only person who can calm him down.

SID: For Kod's sake, he can hurt himself! Snap out of this and act like you should.

SID: Jeb!

DANREY: I don't think this is worki-

SID: Don't you even think about leaving this to me, Jeb! Coming here was your damn idea, so you should take responsibility, goddamit!

SID: Stop staring at the fraking stars and listen to me – we need you! Ned needs you, right now!

SID: I need you, you selfish piece of crap!

DANREY: Sid, don't – it's pointless.

SID: Frak!

DANREY: Come on, we'll deal with this ourselves.

SID: :sigh:

DANREY: Come on, Sid.

SID: Soon we will reach the Jool and there will be no more delaying it, Jeb. You'll have to face the reality.

DANREY: Let's just go, shall we?

If3tY93.jpg

DANREY: Are you sure you are okay? You were impulsive while talking with him. It was quite extraordinary actually, usually you are much more temperate in such situations.

SID: Ha! Extraordinary, you say – is there anything ordinary about this mission anymore?

DANREY: What do you mean exactly?

SID: What do I mean? Look around you, Dan – this crew is falling apart. Again, just like this tiny specs of mold floating around, which, by the way, may cause problems to the ventilator fans if nobody takes care of this. Who's turn is it to clean up this mess anyways?

DANREY: Uh, Harsen's and Neilgas?

SID: You see, you don't even know. That's what I'm talking about. After what we've experienced between Dres and Duna I thought that morale couldn't get lower but hey, as it turns out it can. Jeb has succumbed to this pathetic apathy of his and while he's getting worse and worse there's nobody to look after the “Proteusâ€Â. Not that he would be able to make a difference after his recent decisions.

DANREY: That's not true –BERTY cares about us and the spacecraft.

SID: Oh, well yes he do and that's probably the only reason we're still alive. But from the psychological standpoint, after Jeb ordered us to-

DANREY: What? Oh crap… Err, hello there.

ROZER: Well, well, lieutenant Danrey and professor Sidely. Long time no see.

DANREY: Yes, indeed. Would you excuse us, we need to get to the habitation module A.

ROZER: Alas, again our reunion was brief. I hope we may find some time to talk in the near future – it's not such a big spacecraft after all.

DANREY: Err, yes, sure.

ROZER: One can't help but to bump into other crew members, can you? Unless you decide to avoid them – am I right, professor?

SID: I'm sorry captain, we're busy now.

ROZER: Really? And what's the cause of this urgency?

SID: It's not your business.

ROZER: I see.

DANREY: We're really sorry, but we have to go.

ROZER: Of course you do. See you later than.

DANREY: :sigh:

(…)

SID: Is he gone already?

DANREY: Yup.

SID: I still can't accept it – how come he thought releasing him would be a good idea?

DANREY: He said he'll be needed during our operations in Jool's SOI.

SID: Which is still few weeks from now.

DANREY: I dunno, maybe he wanted us to, uh, get used to it?

SID: Get used to him wandering around? No fraking way – have you forgot what he's done to Jeb and the rest of us?

DANREY: You know, I would never suspect that Jeb is more forgiving than you.

SID: It's not forgiveness, it's stupidity. I tell you Danrey, we need to do something so that he can snap out of this torpor. Well, here we are.

DANREY: :knocking: Hello? Ned?

SID: Hey ol'buddy! It's me and Danrey – would you let us in?

DANREY: It's us, Ned.

SID: Please, open up. We need to talk. BERTY showed us this photo, you know, the one you asked him to take with a DST?

DANREY: Do you think he can hear us?

SID: Of course he can, we're in space – there ain't much to hear but us.Ned? Ned, I'm worried about you. If you want to talk about Jool or our mission – this or the previous one – just let me know, okay?

DANREY: I don't think this is working, Sid.

SID: So what are we supposed to do, leave him in there? Kod only know what he's thinking of doing right n-

DANREY: The hatch is opening!

SID: Come on, help me with this.

DANREY: Ugh! Here you go.

SID: Ned? Ned, is everything all right?

NED: If you want to talk, leave him outside.

SID: Danrey, could you…?

DANREY: No problem.

SID: Okay Ned, I'm coming in alone.

SID: You really scared me Ned, please don't ever do it ag-

NED: We're not coming back, Sid.

SID: Wha-what? Why are you saying this?

NED: Don't you remember what happened to “Kadmos�

SID: Only too well – I still have nightmares about it.

NED: Than you have your answer.

SID: I, uhm, I'm sorry Ned but I don't follow.

NED: You should. First there was aerobraking, two actually, which severely damaged the hull. Than we were bathed in deadly radiation, than there were malfunction of almost all vital subsystems, including comms and reactor. All of this when you were in comatose. And than it get worse. We barely made it out and that was before Eve. The journey to the planet was actually even worse than the aerobraking, which almost torn the ship apart. And all of this was before what happened in Kerbin's orbit. Before we lost Buzz. Hell, I almost died too.

SID: I know, Ned. I was there.

NED: Yes. Yes, you were.

SID: Listen Ned, I know how hard this was. It was traumatic to all of us. But you remember the therapy, right? We can't focus on the past.

NED: Oh, it's not the past that worries me.

SID: :sigh: Both you and me know that this isn't going very well, but we're not going to repeat what happened to “Kadmosâ€Â. We've learnt on these experiences. We've grown, we're stronger.

NED: Like Jeb?

SID: …

NED: After he decided to ignore the voting I still thought it's going to work out all right somehow, you know? Of course it took some time before I realized this – man, I was so mad at him for the first few weeks after the burn. But we've been through hell and survived, so why shouldn't we make it this time, right? I was thinking just like you are right now.

SID: But?

NED: But the time was passing and he was slowly being devoured by depression or whatever the hell is causing his panic attacks. It was getting worse. And then, when he released Rozer it hit me – this is it. We're not coming back.

SID: I don't see logic in-

NED: Do you know who is Jool, the mythological Jool?

SID: Err, I think so. He was the leader of the First Kods who rebelled against his father Ouranus, creator of the heavens.

NED: Go on.

SID: Why should I-

NED: Go on!

SID: Uhm. Than his – mother, I think – Kaia told him that he was destined to be overcome by his own sons, just like he had overthrown his father.

NED: Do you know how he tried to preempt the prophecy?

SID: Actually, I don't rememb-

NED: He ate them, Sid. He devoured his children.

xaOCmzp.jpg

NED: And that's what's going to happen to us, Sid. I know it. He's going to devour us all.

SID: For the love of Kod, what are you talking about?! It's just a stupid myth! Jool is no kod, it's just a gas giant.

NED: That's not what I see when I'm looking at it.

SID: Oh. That's why you were freaked out by this image?

NED: Tell me I'm wrong, Sid. Just take a good look at it, than look me in the eyes and tell that this isn't something primordial, something eerie. Something eldritch.

SID: Ned, you're talking-

NED: Crazy, huh? That's what you wanted to say? Hell, maybe I do; but please, do as I asked. Look at him.

SID: …

NED: Look closely, Sid – and don't blink.

T85UD9Z.jpg

MISSION STATUS

nvqWBGj.png

Edited by czokletmuss

FEW WORDS

9QVjUOj.png

Well, "The Grand Tour" has finally reached 100k views :) Actually when I'm writing this it's closer to 105k, which is a fantastic number. I still remember posting the very first chapter of the "Jool of Kerbol system" almost year ago and the satisfaction from the first handful of comments and views.

One thing is certain - I wouldn't be writing 35th chapter of my third AAR without you, folks. Without such positive reaction from the community there wouldn't be enough energy to just keep going and writing. So I would really like to thank you all :)

There are also other people who helped me creating this story, like chobit-389, gumwars, Wait Was That Important?, White Owl, NuclearWarfare and others, not to mention modders without whom nor "Kadmos" nor "Protues" couldn't have been created (I hope it's the correct tense!).

I wanted to prepare something special for the 100k milestone together with one of the KSP video creators but alas, my small illness and lack of response from him together caused, well, lack of new masterpiece like the awesome video about "Kadmos" was. Nevertheless, I'm still inteding to do something special for this occasion now when I'm completely healthy again, so you can hope for something artsy and cool in the next few weeks (if there are people willing to cooperate - my only "artistic" talent is writing). In the meantime, perhaps I'll create some guide "How to write AAR?" or something like this - it's not much but it's better than nothing I guess. Please tell me if anyone would be interesting in reading such short guide.

So to stop this few words from getting longer and longer - thank you all for reading and support! :)

Edited by czokletmuss

As always friend, a brilliant piece of writing that is something to be proud of. We come to read it because it's the best Kerbal story, period. I'm not meaning to sound like a fawning, rabid fan but this should be the canon that SQUAD follows, if any "official" story is ever planned.

The power of a story is often, for me anyway, defined by the effect it has on its readers. Does it inspire you? Does it cause you to pause and consider possibilities you had not yet visualized? Does it move you? Your works have done all of the above, and in spades. I've rarely come across such a perfect pairing, you with your vision of how this mission would need to play out, and the incredible sandbox that is KSP. Together it's given us this...

Czo, thank you for taking us on your journey, its been an incredible voyage. I can't wait to see where you take us next.

Edited by gumwars
Typo

Czo, been following this and the Jool story since maybe chapter 1 or 2 of the Jool missions. It is fantastic.

I am honored to point out any typos in your work.

By the way, generally, then if it's an event, than if it's a choice. :)

DANREY: I'm glad to hear that. Are we going to Ned than?

Should be

DANREY: I'm glad to hear that. Are we going to Ned then?

Edited by Mr. Pseudonym

I see a fac.. Damn! I blinked.

nelson_muntz_los_simpsons_reasonably_small.jpg

Okay now this story is really getting dark.
Fun fun fun! (... ... ...)

In the grim darkness of the edge of the solar system there is only darkness and, err, grimness?

OR IS IT?!

As always friend, a brilliant piece of writing that is something to be proud of. We come to read it because it's the best Kerbal story, period. I'm not meaning to sound like a fawning, rabid fan but this should be the canon that SQUAD follows, if any "official" story is ever planned.

The power of a story is often, for me anyway, defined by the effect it has on its readers. Does it inspire you? Does it cause you to pause and consider possibilities you had not yet visualized? Does it move you? Your works have done all of the above, and in spades. I've rarely come across such a perfect pairing, you with your vision of how this mission would need to play out, and the incredible sandbox that is KSP. Together it's given us this...

Czo, thank you for taking us on your journey, its been an incredible voyage. I can't wait to see where you take us next.

What can I say, old chap? I really appreciate what you've said, although I wouldn't use words like "perfect" or "best" to describe this little story - I'm afraid my English still isn't good enough so that I can deserve such praise. It would be of course incredibly cool if Squad would like to use some of this - after all, without KSP there wouldn't be any of my AARs. So I think that in the end we should praise them for creating a trule wonderful game which stimulates imagination and curiosity all around the world :)

Czo, i bend for your work
CZO, i dream at night that i'm a Kerbal and i'm going to space thanks to you. Keep the awesome work going, i'm totally supporting and following you.
I forsee myself staring at the picture of Jool for a looooooong time today.

Wow. Thank you guys, such immersion and appreciation only keeps me motivated to continue writing :)

that was a weird chapter..... whats going on.....

You're not the only one who asks this question, especially if we consider what the crew is thinking about it all :P

Keep up the good work, Czo.

I think the mold is potentially psychotropic. Even if it isn't, ship-eating mold is Bad News.

Psychotropic space mold? Interesting. :scribble:

Well, Jeb is releasing stress, so he couldn't talk?

I think dr Wiki- err, I mean dr Cambo can explain it pretty well.

Czo, been following this and the Jool story since maybe chapter 1 or 2 of the Jool missions. It is fantastic.

I am honored to point out any typos in your work.(...)

Crap, I always have problems with "than" and "then" - thanks for finding this annoying typo :)

I may not still be as much into the game as I used to be, but I still check this thread every day for new chapters.

Congrats on the 100k!

Thank you very much, NuclearWarfare, I appreciate it :)

What texture pack is that? (jool picture)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66778598/jool1.png

Although I modified a little bit.

Czo, you really have a way with this. I know when I'm reading a good story because I get involved emotionally with the characters. Jeb's making me angry, Rozer feels evil, and I totally understand why the others are mad. I'm totally involved! :-) Thanks for a great read!

Also, congrats on 100k views! You deserve it.

Czo, you really have a way with this. I know when I'm reading a good story because I get involved emotionally with the characters. Jeb's making me angry, Rozer feels evil, and I totally understand why the others are mad. I'm totally involved! :-) Thanks for a great read!

Also, congrats on 100k views! You deserve it.

My thoughts exactly, Czo you were my inspiration to start my own story The Rescue (which by the way is barely started)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.