[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

The next few chapters are going to be even weirder - we still don't know what's going to happen when they get to Laythe, or what Berty has to tell about the whole Jool plan! So many cliffhangers...

Exactly! :P

I love this story. Without it, I genuinely wouldn't have a reason to get up out of bed (although i most of the time used ye olde ipad to look)

Thanks Rhyunix, although lying with bed and checking out the forum on your smartphone/iPad is a whole new level of geekiness (not that I'm not doing the same thing :P).

Czo, you really have a way with this. I know when I'm reading a good story because I get involved emotionally with the characters. Jeb's making me angry, Rozer feels evil, and I totally understand why the others are mad. I'm totally involved! :-) Thanks for a great read!

Also, congrats on 100k views! You deserve it.

Thank you very much, what you said only motivates me to write MOAR but pleasure is all mine, really - writing is fun!

My thoughts exactly, Czo you were my inspiration to start my own story The Rescue (which by the way is barely started)

Good decision - as I said, writing is fun :) I wish you luck and many readers!

EDIT: Due to some new options of the Ribbon Generator, I'm changing slighlty the Mission Status so that it can reflect better what was accomplished.

Current version (chapter 35):

nvqWBGj.png

Revised version:

Vertl7G.png

Edited by czokletmuss

CHAPTER 36

BEFORE THE FIRE

7Toos4R.jpg

TWO WEEKS LATER

SID: Are we there yet?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Not yet, Sid. The encounter will occur in 1 minute and 34 seconds.

DANREY: You don't have to ask him constantly, you know.

SID: Actually I do – after all these months to finally reach Jool's SOI… at last some noticeable progress, at last some good news.

DANREY: Good news, huh?

SID: Well, it's not like we have them in abundance, so yes, I think this qualifies.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: T minus 30 seconds.

DANREY: Do you think that he'll start acting now? There's not that much time left.

SID: I really hope he will. BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: T minus 17 seconds.

SID: Begin countdown in T minus 5, okay?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Affirmative, Sid.

DANREY: After more than 280 days we're finally going to face the Jool.

SID: Trust me, we really don't want to confront it. Just sneak around.

DANREY: I guess you are right. You know, when I was reading your mission report I th-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: T minus five.

SID: It's happening, Dan!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Four. Three. Two. One.

7JyCse0.png

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jool encounter confirmed. Recalculating trajectory.

DANREY: So, this is it. Jool.

SID: Yes.

DANREY: And almost three years in space. It's hard to believe in it.

SID: There's nothing to believe in, Dan. We're here. Come on, let's take a closer look from the LAMGML camera.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Calculations completed. Executing trajectory correction burn.

7H9XdU7.png

ROZER: Excuse me.

BILL: Frak! You scared me to death - don't do it again!

ROZER: I'm terribly sorry. I always move quietly, a bad habit from the days when I was in the spec-ops and zero-g makes it only easier. You know what they say – old habits die hard. And not only the habits, mind you.

BILL: What do you want?

ROZER: Oh, nothing special. Do you know we've just entered the Jool's sphere of influence?

BILL: We did?

ROZER: No doubt about it. It makes you wonder why do we even need pilots in the first place though, isn't it? It seems that their main occupation is to chat with the rest of the crew and what's the point in this? Am I right, commander?

BILL: What did you say?

ROZER: Commander, Bill – do you know where he is? I would like to have a little chat with him.

BILL: He's in the observatory module.

ROZER: Oh right, silly me! Of course he's there, where else could he be when we're approaching the planet.

BILL: I told you where he is. Could you go away now?

ROZER: Hmm, can I? I think I can.

BILL: Just leave me. Please.

ROZER: Aye aye, captain. I'll see you around.

LGu84OY.jpg

SID: Are you sure this is it?

DANREY: First of all, you are the scientist. Secondly, you were here so you should know how Jool looks like seen from such distance. And third of all, yes I'm sure.

SID: Than what are you waiting for? Magnify the image!

DANREY: Mhm, copy that. Ookay… here you go.

CiD1VIf.jpg

SID: Magnificent… Try to magnify a little bit more.

DANREY: I have to admit, it's kinda strange seeing you reacting like this. I mean, both Ned and commander have a, hmm, stronger response to such image.

SID: You said you read our report, right? I lost consciousness while “Kadmos†was aerobraking in Laythe's atmosphere, not so along after our first contact with Jool. Ironic, isn't it? The crew has lost its main scientist just like that. When I wake up we were already few months of flight from Jool, we didn't have science module and the spacecraft and guys were in a pretty bad condition. I wasn't happy to find out what happen. But I survived. I missed all the “fun†but all the horrors they experienced as well. So I guess you can say that when I'm looking at Jool I'm more fascinated and curious than horrified.

DANREY: Still, when you saw the image from DST you shivered.

SID: I don't have so many memories as they do, but my imagination works pretty well. And we were on therapy together.

DANREY: Here, maximum zoom – what do you think?

OGiSRH1.jpg

SID: I think that this time Jool won't get rid of me so easily.

Cd4bToq.png

ROZER: Hello, Jeb. Still looking at the stars?

JEB: …

ROZER: Hmm. Mesmerizing, isn't it?

ROZER: I mean the view. So many stars, so much space. It's paradoxical, really, that we have to live confined to “Proteus†modules while there is such vastness in our reach.

ROZER: Nebulae, asteroids, comets, star clusters, uncountable galaxies and every one contains billions and billions of worlds. But it's not only the space – with your own eyes you can reach into the past, see things that are long gone. A hundred light years, a thousand, a million, a billion even – and even this is but a child's step into this inconceivable abyss. It's no surprise that some say one can loose his mind by facing it. Like the wise man once said, when you gaze into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you. Isn't this what you are doing, Jeb? Facing the eternity?

7ma3w7J.jpg

ROZER: Oh I will leave you soon Jeb, I will. I just wanted to say that I underestimated you. Your strength of character. Many would surrender completely in our situation. The knowledge itself is paralyzing – the artificial intelligence we created has rejected the orders from its masters. The horror, Jeb – to be dependent in every aspect from something inhuman it's unnerving alone, but to know it can just ignore whatever we say? Words can't describe it, can they? And yet it continues the mission, thereby mocking us.

ROZER: I still remember the look on your face when you shared this revelation with me, your eyes saying “help meâ€Â. I wish I could Jeb, I really do. No matter you think about me, I'm not intending to let this mission be compromised, believe me. But it already have been and there's nothing we can do about it. Hostages, that's what we are.

ROZER: You remain silent and I'm jabbering like some munatic – but that's all we've left, right? Words.

ROZER: I'm sorry that I couldn't find any workable solution, Jeb. The machine is smart, very smart. And is always listening, all the time – isn't it so?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes.

ROZER: Smart boy. Funny, when you think about it – without conflict between us, Jeb, it wouldn't have happened. Alas, in retrospection it was inevitable. Such a shame.

ROZER: I'm leaving you with the stars and the machine, Jeb. We've entered Jool's SOI and there are some preparations I have to take care of. I also probably should tell them that we're going to Laythe.

ROZER: Keep thinking, Jeb. Who knows, maybe you'll figure out some other way besides the one proposed by me.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I won't let you realize your plan, Rozer. It would endanger the mission and this is something I cannot allow it.

ROZER: Yes, you really can't, can you?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: There's nothing more important than the mission.

ROZER: Figures. Good luck, commander – only two weeks left before the fire.

WQ6wlZ1.jpg

MISSION STATUS

b6IKvmt.png

Edited by czokletmuss

Very interesting, and the emotion is getting high. And Rozer is still weird. Oh, and there were a few spelling mistakes etc. One that shouted out was:

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I won't let you realize your plan, Rozer. It would endanger the mission and this is something allow it.

Not sure what that ending meant exactly, 'something allow it'? Maybe 'something I cannot allow'?

Also, when Rozer said 'Hostages, that's who we are'. While technically correct the usual usage is 'Hostages, that's what we are'.

Oops, silly typos - correcting now! That's what you get when you edit the text several times and mess with the already good sentences.

EDIT: Before the next chapter is realesed, feast your eyes on the very cool artwork made by Rhyunix and inspired by IMV "Proteus":

ZKlM8lB.png

Isn't it awesome? Thank you Rhyunix! But will "Proteus" even make it to the Vall? Find out in the next chapter! :dum dum dum:

Edited by czokletmuss

CHAPTER 37

AEROBRAKING: JOOL

P062T14.jpg

SID: Astonishing. Completely astonishing.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Sid, you have spent the last 13 hours in the LAMGML “Alfa†command module. We will soon be approaching Jool's radiation belt. It is advised that you leave LAMGML “Alfa†and go to the habitation modules which are equipped with better protection against radiation.

SID: I appreciate your concern BERTY, but either way I'm going to be soaked in radiation, so frankly I don't care about these few extra milisieverts.

EFJznId.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Sid. I may be wrong but it seems you're still upset about the changes in the mission plan. Do you wish to talk about it?

SID: Why? You better talk with Jeb.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm talking with commander in this very moment – unlike you, I'm not restricted in my capabilities by a physical body.

SID: It must be very comfortable.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I can't answer to this question, Sid. I don't have necessary data to make a comparison. However, I'm confident that the way I was created enhances my ability to process several tasks simultaneously.

SID: But you do have a body – in a way, “Proteus†is a close substitute. Am I right?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I didn't think about it in this way, Sid.

SID: I'm glad I've gave you something to think of. Now could you please leave me?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm always here, Sid.

SID: I mean, could you be quiet please? We still have some time.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Affirmative. Aerobraking will commence in 5 hours and 56 minutes.

SID: Six hours… and then we will meet again, Jool…

iTggZ5H.png

aCop8kf.jpg

DANREY: Sid? Are you there?

SID: Hmm? Yes – come on, I'll show you something.

DANREY: Excuse me, but have you lost your mind? We're getting closer to Jool, you can't be here! The radiation level-

SID: Nah, it's just a few milisieverts more. Even with the expected dosage above Laythe we should be fine – the risk of getting cancer will increase to three-four percent at most. Trust me Danrey, I know what I'm doing.

DANREY: Mhm, sure. It's your fixation on Jool and its moons speaking.

SID: Are you surprised? Come on, take a look at this.

DANREY: :sigh: Really, we'll have plenty of time to observ- oh my Kod…

s3RSVG0.jpg

SID: Now do you understand?

DANREY: This… this is incredible.

SID: Oh yes. And it brings memories too.

DANREY: Wow, just wow. Could you zoom on Laythe?

SID: You're welcome.

4IFay9M.jpg

DANREY: Unbelievable. It looks like a small Kerbin! Atmosphere and water so far from the Sun is complet-

SID: Liquid, Dan – we don't know the chemical composition of this ocean, so to say it's water is a rather hasty conclusion. Laythe is still a mystery – no probe has ever reached its surface. It will be our job to try to unravel some if its secrets.

DANREY: Okay, but do you honestly think it's not water? In such abundance? I'm not a scientist but I know that one of the most common chemical elements are hydrogen and oxium. It has to be water.

SID: I told you, let's not jump to conclusion without solid data. Even if it's in fact water, it's not a pure H2O, rather some kind of a primordial soup consisting of cyanides, sulfur, perhaps sulfur dioxide and maybe even some organic compounds.

DANREY: So we know something about Laythe.

SID: We suspect. The primary source of our data comes from the probe released by “Kadmos†almost thirty years ago. Besides that, well – building gigantic and extremely advanced manned spacecraft like “Kadmos†or “Proteus†had a harsh impact on our unmanned space exploration program.

DANREY: Does it matter now? We're here.

SID: Yes, indeed we are.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Attention. IMV “Proteus†will approach the inner radiation belt in 30 minutes. Please proceed to the habitation modules and take your radiation pills.

yKvRU81.jpg

DANREY: Pills, huh?

SID: Potassium iodide. It will saturate the thyroid with stable iodine, so that-

DANREY: I know. Maybe I'm not a scientist but I'm still a kerbonaut, Sid.

SID: Sorry. Good thing that we're precisely on an optimal trajectory – if we even touch the inner radiation belt-

DANREY: The electronics would fry and we would die. Yeah. It's good that we have BERTY.

SID: Mhm.

DANREY: We better take the pills though.

SID: Go. I'll stay here a little longer.

DANREY: Sometimes you are as stubborn as commander used to be, you know that?

SID: I know.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: All systems operational and in prime condition, commander. Aerobraking will commence in 15 minutes.

JEB: Why am I here, BERTY? You don't need me to do this.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes. However, in the unlikely event of catastrophic malfunction your presence here may save the mission.

JEB: So know you trust me to do my job?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Direct control is a preferable and more reliable solution. I have never made a mistake, Jeb – by design, I am foolproof and incapable of error. That's why the ultimate responsibility for the mission was given to me. Trust is a term used to describe relations between people, thus, by definition, it cannot be used to describe the relation between us. However, what I said remains valid – your presence here may reduce the impact of hypothetical malfunction on the mission. Therefore, it would be ill-advised for you to stay elsewhere during the aerobraking.

ROZER: Always rational in this innocent but cold way – quite unlike you, isn't he?

JEB: What are you doing here?

ROZER: Do you honestly think I'll leave you unsupervised anywhere near the control panel during such critical moment? You are more naive than I thought if you think I would trust you to do what is necessary in your condition.

JEB: You won't touch these controls.

ROZER: Obviously, you don't trust me. Good – it means your judgment is not completely clouded.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Aerobraking will commence in 10 minutes.

ROZER: Only ten minutes left. Is everyone in their acceleration couches already?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes.

JEB: I don't want you here.

ROZER: I could care less about what you want.

JEB: What about him?

ROZER: Him? He'll agree – double the fail-safe, half the risk. Isn't it?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Your statement is correct.

ROZER: See? Let's not argue about it – Jool won't wait. Speaking of which: may I get a visual from LAMGML? I didn't have time for luxury of observing the planet during our approach, so I would like to see it before we dive into its atmosphere.

64M9Roa.jpg

JEB: :gasp:

ROZER: Truly the most impressive view. Let's hope our journey won't end in this emerald ocean of clouds.

ROZER: You're too grim, Jeb. Relax! Whatever happens, it'll be the end of some of our worries – or even all of them. Why don't we check the manual control systems before the fire, hmm?

SXrZI0o.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Aerobraking will commence in 2 minutes.

ROZER: You're thinking about “Kadmosâ€Â, don't you?

JEB: It's not your damn business.

ROZER: You spend too much time thinking about the past, Jeb.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Aerobraking will commence in 1 minute and 30 seconds.

ROZER: Even the past as commendable as yours.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Aerobraking will commence in 1 minute and 15 seconds.

yJKFauC.jpg

ROZER: It's a shame, really. When we met for the first time you were the role model for me.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Aerobraking will commence in 1 minute.

ROZER: Well, not only for me. Actually every young kerbonaut wished to be like you.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Aerobraking will commence in 45 seconds.

ROZER: The first kerbal on the Mun… It's a pity that the real Jebediah doesn't match up to the legend. It was a surprisingly brutal realization.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Aerobraking will commence in 30 seconds.

ROZER: Still silent, huh?

ROZER: You know what, one day I have to tell you why I became a kerbonaut.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Aerobraking will commence in 10 seconds.

ROZER: But it is not this day. This day we meet the fire.

JEB: The fire?

ROZER: Trial by ordeal, Jeb – and Jool is our judge.

JEB: What the hell are you talki-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: â€ÂProteus†has entered the atmosphere.

h4lzirV.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: 0,5g. Increasing friction and pressure.

ROZER: Again in the embrace of gravity, huh?

JEB: Shut u- ugh!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: 0,9g. Heatshield's temperature 600 degrees. Warning: 76% of the ablative material left.

ROZER: And so it begins!

whaIfzl.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: 1,4g. Heatshield's temperature 800 degrees. RCS online. Warning: 73% of the ablative material left.

JEB: Argh!

Pa8yY5U.jpg

TtnAjQ8.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: 2,1g. Heatshield's temperature 1300 degrees. Warning: 69% of the ablative material left.

ROZER: Yes! Through the fire!

JEB: Are you insane?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: 2,9g. Warning. Ship covered by heatshield in 98%. Heatshield's temperature 1500 degrees.

Trzz7Qp.jpg

JEB: Can you- ugh!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Abnormal hull vibrations detected. Ship covered by heatshield in 97%. Warning: 62% of the ablative material left.

q1ZPPhf.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: LAMGML “Beta†damaged. Heatshield's temperature 1800 degrees.

ROZER: Under thy protection we seek refuge, Jool son of Kaia!

W1LXK4h.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: LAMGML “Alfa†damaged. Atmospheric pressure anomaly detected. Heatshield's temperature 2000 degrees.

ROZER: Anomaly?!

cN499uw.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Temperature spike on the thermal protection insulation of the fusion core B detected. Warning: 54% of the ablative material left.

JEB: No! It was damaged during Duna-

ROZER: What the-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: MASTER ALARM. POGO OSCILLATION DETECTED. MISSION ENDANGERED.

pwKJTwp.jpg

obs0ZI0.png

JEB: I – can't – ugh!

ROZER: Don't – give -up!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: MASTER ALARM. POGO OSCILLATION DETECTED. STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY UNKNOWN.

oZnNkya.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: SECONDARY LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM DAMAGED. HEATSHIELD'S TEMPERATURE 2300 DEGREES. 47% OF ABLATIVE MATERIAL LEFT.

JEB: Can't – breath!

ROZER: Fight – old man!

SvJT9Ih.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: ACCELERATION COUCHES FAILURE IN HABITATION MODULE B DETECTED. 43% OF ABLATIVE MATERIAL LEFT.

JEB: :gasping:

ROZER: COME ON!

s24qcNa.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: HEATSHIELD'S TEMPERATURE 2100 DEGREES. 40% OF ABLATIVE MATERIAL LEFT.

ROZER: Pogo stopped!

JEB: …!

YuggIvf.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Switching to normal mode of operation. Heatshield's temperature 1900 degrees. 38% of ablative material left.

aAea9Z5.jpg

ROZER: We survived! WE SURVIVED!

JEB: :gasping:

7N3a15c.jpg

AZ4ZElG.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Damage assessment in progress. Heatshield's temperature 1700 degrees. 36% of ablative material left.

A0JCRub.png

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Warning. Cessation of life functions detected by doctor Harsen's biosensors.

JEB: He's – he's gone?

1YxEQ1k.jpg

ROZER: Is this an equipment failure or-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Negative. I'm afraid doctor Harsen suffered fatal trauma from the sudden exposure to high acceleration. Data indicates heart failure. 34% of ablative material left.

ROZER: So we didn't pass it unharmed…

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Heatshield's temperature 1200 degrees. Leaving the atmosphere in five, four, three, two, one. “Proteus†has left the atmosphere.

quLZeMC.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Trajectory correction calculations completed.

A2QsKkY.png

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Executing trajectory change in 2 minutes and 45 seconds. Closest approach to the inner radiation belt in 48 minutes and 34 seconds.

ROZER: Very unfortunate moment to lose LAMGML specialist. His talents could've come in handy in the nearest future.

JEB: That's all you care about, don't you?

ROZER: As a matter of fact, yes. It's about time to start acting again – the mission demands it now that we've survived the fire. To be completely honest, that was quite a … cathartic experience. Like a phoenix from the ashes we shall now rise and do what we need to do – don't you think, Jeb?

JEB: You're a cold, twisted bastard.

ROZER: :laughs: Thank you. Remember me to tell you how I became a kerbonaut one day. You may be surprised.

[

SYEOYl5.jpg

Q08MVGq.png

MISSION STATUS

8ctxQGv.png

Edited by czokletmuss

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.