[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Well hot damn! I just binge-read this entire story from back to front in one sitting over a period of about 24 hours, and though I am tired beyond what words can express I must say it was worth every minute! Fantastic writing, fantastic setup, and fantastic music to go with it. When I'm more well rested I plan on giving lots of rep. ;)

That said, I am nursing slight disappointment in not having seen the tale through to its conclusion, but now at least I get the joy of seeing it wrap up at the same time as the rest of my fellow kerbonauts. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much, it's very nice to hear so kind words about the story :) And I'll surely keep up the work ;)

Wow, just... Wow. I really wonder what happened at Duna there, I hope we will find out!

And, merry Christmas everyone! Czo, I donated you a few bucks. Keep up the amazing work!

Wow, thank you very much silentdragon for this unexpected Christmas gift! :) Next chapters will surely reveal more about that, so please be patient :)

Ok, I have FINALLY finished reading what is out so far, and it's amazing. Will the new chapter be out on Christmas? Or today? Or the 26th?

Thank you! Well, in Poland Christmas Eve is probably even more important than Christmas Day and especially important is Wigilia, which takes place today:

Wigilia.gif

So don't expect new chapter today :) And tomorrow? Who knows? :)

So Wesołych Świąt (Merry Christmas) everyone and expect next chapter in a day or two!

Edited by czokletmuss

MOAR chapters!

I find it amazing how someone can master the hardest language in the universe (engilish)

Thank you for making this czo!

Also, I think the Duna base team have re-reversed engineered the hab modules into a kerbin return ship and gone home :)

The hardest language in the universe is Russian or Chinese. English is one of the easiest languages in the world.

Note: I have a higher mark in English than in russian(my native language)

The hardest language in the universe is Russian or Chinese. English is one of the easiest languages in the world.

Note: I have a higher mark in English than in russian(my native language)

It depends on which language you start from. Most European languages at least have a similar base to grammar. Try going to English from Japanese! I'm sure that would be a kicker!

It depends on which language you start from. Most European languages at least have a similar base to grammar. Try going to English from Japanese! I'm sure that would be a kicker!

I actually have a sister who will be heading to Japan in the near future. And she is studying Japanese right now

It's all about whether your language has a lot of inflection (e.g.Latin, Japanese, Russian), no inflection (e.g. Chinese), or is at some middle ground like English or Spanish; basically whether word order and choice determines meaning (less inflecting) or changes to the words themselves (inflecting). Going to a different writing system as well as different level of inflection really doesn't help either.

But all the Russians I know living here in Britain do seem to forget their Russian whilst other expats remember their language more or less.

Yeah. I tried to learn Japanese once a long time ago. I got as far as memorizing Katakana and Hirigana (and of course the american letters they use for things like 'coca cola') and learning the very basics of grammar. Never got any farther, and definitely never learned any of the Kanji! How many characters is that again? Hundreds? I know the Katakana and Hirigana are simplifications of those, with 'layers' taken off for different sound combinations, but Japanese actually memorize all those things don't they? I guess if schooling of a different culture is very different it'll always seem weird. Kids learn some crazy things sometimes.

Speaking as a person fluent in three languages (yes, english is among those three for all you clever ones), I can safely say that if Czo hadn't said that he was Polish, I would think he is a native english speaker.

Yes, Czo, you are that good. Not perfect (because even the best of writers usually have a couple of mistakes with the more tricky grammar), but great nontheless. You really should try writing an independent (that is, not depending on KSP or any other game) story in english. You'd do great.

Am I the only one here who thinks german is much more difficult than english? And yes, I am a native german speaker, does that have to mean anything? :-D

No, really, I think english is actually quite simple, my english is better than my german sometimes...

Anyway, Czo, your english is indeed quite perfect for a non-native speaker.

Thank you, this is very nice to hear :)

Just a quick update - next chapter is coming and - to not spoil anything - I'll only say I was looking forward to this particular chapter for a long, long time. So stay tuned, chapter 51 is coming, although slightly delayed by Christmas and stuff :)

yEdh07v.jpg

CHAPTER 51

IMPACT

5h0sAMS.jpg

6 DAYS LATER

BILL: …liftoff. Apoapsis at 25,628 meters, 3 minutes to the circularization burn. Everything's looking good.

GENANAND: :sigh:

d4e303p.jpg

BILL: Already missing the asteroid, doc?

GENANAND: Yes. Every one of them – Bop, Pol, Gilly – is a window through which we can look into the past, through which we can discover secrets from the very beginning of our solar system. And although formation begun more than 4.6 billion years ago and all the celestial bodies were created during this ancient period, only these planetesimal give us such opportunity. Planets were transformed during Late Heavy Bombardment and during the millions of years of geological changes, some of them also shaped by their atmosphere and hydrosphere, like Kerbin or Laythe. That leaves only these asteroids as witnesses of the conditions of the protoplanetary disc, true time capsules, only waiting to be opened. So yes, I'm sad we're leaving so soon.

WC1YhYC.jpg

BILL: Yes, it's a shame that after so many months we get only less than a week here. But our supplies aren't unlimited and we're already pushing it – we have only 5 more hours on life support, so we need to rendez-vous with the CHM.

GENANAND: Mhm. I wish we have more time.

BILL: Well, LAMGMLs are a terrific spacecraft but even they have their limits. Look, I know you would like to stay there forever picking rocks and exploring but-

GENANAND: It's alright, Bill. We still have few polar orbits before the rendez-vous, right? Who knows, maybe we will discover something even in these last few hours.

BILL: To be honest, I wouldn't count on that – but hey, while there's life there's hope, right?

GENANAND: Exactly.

4k5FUzI.png

BILL: But besides all the science, you know what I miss the most?

GENANAND: Hmm, let me guess – beef jerky from “Proteus†supplies?

qgg2fzQ.jpg

BILL: Yeah, this too. But apart from the food?

GENANAND: I don't know, Bill. Go on, enlighten me.

BILL: A decent shower. I mean sure, wet sponges from CHM are great and hell, after a week in LAMGML it would be a great to use them, really. But...

GENANAND: What was that?

BILL: Hmm? What?

GENANAND: This alarm just went off, for a second or so.

BILL: This one? This little lamp?

GENANAND: Yes, this with PRXM letters near to it.

BILL: Oh, it's nothing than. It's the proximity alert.

GENANAND: Hmm. Unless there are some tiny rocks orbiting Bop.

BILL: What? Asteroid's mun? Is it even possible?

Pm5uUmx.png

GENANAND: Bop is too small to capture anything with its small gravity well but a debris ejected after impact could in theory get into elliptical orbit. Let's check this, shall we?

BILL: Sure, why not. I'll use the radar to try to find it. I think though that you shouldn't get your hopes up too high, doc – if it's really some tiny mun, we would've detected it by now. It's probably just another glitch in the software.

GENANAND: Perhaps. But nobody will come here for a long time, so it's worth a shot. How's this radar?

BILL: Gimme a sec... there. Radar activated.

GENANAND: Hmm. Could this be it?

e3t2bbj.jpg

BILL: I don't think so, it- oh, dammit.

GENANAND: What?

BILL: Just look here – you see this dot? If the readings were true, this rock would be much bigger than LAMGML but much less dense.

GENANAND: Giant snowball, hmm? It's rather improbable.

BILL: Yeah. And look at its velocity, way too slow to be near periapsis while in elliptical orbit.

GENANAND: Oh, right.

BILL: Well, we tried at least. Sorry doc, it seems that its the equipment again. I swear to Kod, this malfunctions are getting more and more irritating. Good it's just the radar, imagine what would happen if it was RCS and we were in the middle of docking procedure. We really need to-

GENANAND: Look! Bill, look at it!

BILL: Huh?

GENANAND: It's changed its orbital velocity!

BILL: What? No way.

GENANAND: And look at its trajectory!

BILL: What the- But it's impossible, no rock can just stop and turn around. It must be a glitch, doc.

GENANAND: Give me the external camera, I'll get a visual on it.

BILL: Why would – proximity alert?!

GENANAND: Double malfunction?!

BILL: It's – it's moving in our direction? But it's impossible!

GENANAND: Crap, I don't see anything – roll the ship, Bill!

NEUBpxG.jpg

BILL: Oh frak!

GENANAND: Bill? Roll the-

BILL: Forget about it, it's on a collision course! Prepare for the emergency evasive maneuver!

GENANAND: Collision?!

ZQvMSIJ.jpg

BILL: Engines ignition on my mark – mark! We're changing the- uh!

GENANAND: Argh! Did we hit it?!

BILL: Frak! Short circuit! Kod damn it, I've lost control! Sparks are everywhere, I can't – fire!

GENANAND: Bill, the engines are still-

BILL: Forget about it, give me the damn fire extinguisher!

GENANAND: But we're loosing altitude!

8XhcBDa.jpg

BILL: Shut up and give it to, it's behind you!

GENANAND: Where?!

BILL: Just behind you, doc!

GENANAND: I can't see, the flickering lights and smoke-

BILL: Just unbuckle the safety belt and reach for it, for the love of Kod!

GENANAND: I'm trying but - Bill, look!

BILL: Holy frak! Prepare for impact! Landing gear extended! Doc, fasten your-

SfBTRor.jpg

NED: BERTY, we're ready. You may prepare the observation module for the separation.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes, chief Ned.

NED: I have to admit, I'm really glad you are here, Jeb.

JEB: Mhm.

cvZ9fFx.jpg

NED: I'm serious. Too long you've been isolating yourself from the rest of us and behaving, well, uhm... kinda erratic.

JEB: Indeed?

NED: Yes. I know that not everyone shares my view but I'm really glad you're back. What happened, happened and there's no need to focus on that. I mean this whole voting business and you forcing everyone to get to Jool.

JEB: I know. You're not very subtle about it, you know.

H69mQQh.jpg

NED: I was never a smooth-talking type, if you know what I mean. In engineering there are no euphemisms, it either work or it don't.

JEB: You're an expert in nuclear propulsion.

NED: Well, these are subtle systems and they do require sophisticated approach, but unlike people machines accept only honesty.

JEB: I'm sure they do...

NED: Go on, BERTY. Anyways – it's good to see you coming back into shape.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes, chief Ned. Separation in progress.

SDnRXVH.jpg

NED: That's what I'm talking about! It was perfect, BERTY, no malfunctions this time.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Thank you, chief Ned.

NED: And I was so worried about this. Hell, at least once in a while something can go smoothly and without problems. It seems even our bad luck have its limits – am I right, Jeb?

JEB: I guess you do.

IgWEwr3.jpg

NED: Come on, the separation was flawless and it seems we wouldn't even have to push the module away from the “Proteusâ€Â. Really, you should relax a little bit and enjoy the EVA – you've been confined in this ship for too long. When was the last time you were outside anyways?

JEB: Duna.

NED: Oh, right. Crap. How's your leg doing?

JEB: Great, as long as I don't need to use it.

NED: :sigh: We're done here, BERTY – we're moving to the heatshield for a visual inspection. And that's the other thing I don't get, Jeb. He broke your leg and tazed you, why the hell did you let him go?

JEB: Well, I didn't really-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Skills of captain Rozer are vital for this mission to succeed, Ned. After the tragic accident on Eve there were no other pilots who could have land on Laythe. Whatever is your personal opinion about other crew members, chief Ned, only the cooperation can lead to the fulfillment of mission goals. Isn't that true, commander?

JEB: Yes... yes, it is.

NED: Okay, okay, I understand that we need to work as a team. But he's not a part of this team, he never was. And whatever you think about his skills, he won't respect you as the commander, ever. He cares only about the mission and you know it. Don't you agree with me, Jeb?

JEB: Actually-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Commander's decision was well thought through and reasonable. The good of the mission demands-

NED: Yes? Demands what?

Seh7Zl8.jpg

NED: Err, BERTY? Are you there?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Attention. Abort the extravehicular activity and return to the ship immediately. Mission endangered.

NED: What?!

JEB: Endangered?

1CPFyVy.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Attention. All crew members on board “Proteus†need to abort current activities and go to their quarters. Jeb. Ned. Please return to the ship immediately. Commander, your presence is required in the command module as soon as possible.

NED: But we didn't check the heatshield!

JEB: What the hell is going on, BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: There was an accident.

D6t2owT.png

Uhh... My head...

BILL: Genanand, where :coughs:

Blood. Frak. It ain't good – I may have broken ribs. Or worse.

BILL: Doc, are you :coughs:

Think, old man. There is no smoke inside the capsule, so the hull must've been punctured. If – oh my Kod. Did he fall out through this hole? Sweet Lord, the pod is almost broken in half!

BILL: :coughs:

We must've crashed. I have to get out of here. Come on, old man, unbuckle the safety belts and crawl out of here.

BILL: Uhh!

Oh frak me, it hurts like hell!

BILL: Argh!

There we go. Now get on your feet and – holy crap...

3cysyB4.png

X1626QJ.png

Dear Kod. We ain't flying anywhere with this bird.

BILL: Doc! Can you hear me?

I need to find him quickly if we are to use EMU to get in orbit. The gravity is small enough for us to make it and than from the CHM we could call for help.

BILL: Doc! :coughs: Do you copy?

He ain't here. My Kod, where is he? Concentrate, idiot – he's in a spacesuit made of a reflective material. He'll glitter like a Christmas tree in this darkness.

knfN22V.png

Where are you, doc? I ain't leaving without you. Think, Billâ€Â: if he fell out during the impact, he should be – there!

89enamA.png

BILL: Doc! Do you copy?

Is that him? He's so far away! Crap, I need to use the jetpack. Is it still working?

BILL: Frak! :coughs:

Iis it dead? Restart, koddamit!

EMU: EXTRAVEHICULAR MOBILITY UNIT RESTART INITIATED.

Yes!

EMU: MONOPROPELLANT LEVEL 8,5 %. OXIUM LEVEL 2,24%. LIFE SUPPORT NOMINAL. COOLING SYSTEM NOMINAL. PRESSURE 0.935 ATMOSPHERE AND FALLING. WARNING. OXIUM LEVEL CRITICAL. PLEASE RETURN TO THE SHIP IMMEDIATELY.

No! Oh Kod, no! It must've been punctured too.

BILL: Doc! Can you hear me?! :coughs:

Maybe he have more monopropellant to get us into the orbit. I need to get to him right now! I still have enough monopropellant for one jump – it should do it but with those broken ribs... Crap, it's not like I have a choice!

BILL: I'm coming to you, doc!

Come on, work!

EMU: MONOPROPELLANT LEVEL 4,5 %. WARNING. OXIUM LEVEL CRITICAL. PLEASE RETURN TO THE SHIP IMMEDIATELY. MONOPROPELLANT LEVEL 3 %.

HoVc98C.png

It's him! Concentrate, you need to land first.

EMU: MONOPROPELLANT LEVEL 0,5 %. WARNING. OXIUM LEVEL CRITICAL. PLEASE RETURN TO THE SHIP IMMEDIATELY.

BILL: Doc! :coughs: Doc!

Come on, don't you – oh my Kod...

FXl7hrV.jpg

BILL: Genanand!

9D9y5oe.png

Sweet Lord, Genanand... At least with the holes that big depressurization didn't – no, don't think about it. Check his EMU, maybe he still have some oxium or monopropellant left. Dear Kod, doc... Frak, it's punctured too! Crap, crap, crap! I don't have enough monoprop even for one jump – how am I supposed to get into orbit?

EMU: OXIUM LEVEL 1,89%. PRESSURE 0.879 ATMOSPHERE. WARNING. OXIUM LEVEL CRITICAL. PLEASE RETURN TO THE SHIP IMMEDIATELY.

z95oNdb.png

Think, Bill, think! Your spacesuit is punctured somewhere, you have oxium for just a couple of minutes, you don't have enough delta-V to get into orbit, the lander has crashed and Genanand... Frak, frak! There must be something I can do! There's always something!

l5Ytpc7.jpg

Maybe if I salvage the LAMGML I'll be able to – wait, how much time do I have? Is it possible at all to even get to the lander? With broken ribs and no monopropellant left I would have to take a long walk and I don't feel like – no. No. Face it, old man. This is it.

BILL: This is it...

My Kod, this is really it. I'm going to die. I'm going to die...

EMU: OXIUM LEVEL 1,48%. PRESSURE 0.854 ATMOSPHERE. WARNING. OXIUM LEVEL CRITICAL. PLEASE RETURN TO THE SHIP IMMEDIATELY.

Afrw1lb.png

No. Concentrate – you still can make it count. Every flag is also a small RTG powered radio beacon. Let's move.

VdStPRf.png

There. At least they'll know when to find ours... us.

BILL: :coughs:

Ugh! Frakking ribs. But not for long. Where's Jool?

0eOvD7t.jpg

There it is. Good Kod, it's so beautiful. I wish I could see Laythe or Tylo. I wish I could tell them something. Damn, I'll never see Kerbin again. Frak Kerbin, I'll never see the Sun. Is that how it's going end, in the darkness, lonely?

UNKNOWN: You're not alone, Bill.

BILL: What the hell? :coughs: Who said that?

UNKNOWN: Don't you recognize your own father?

BILL: Pa...? But – but you died in a car accident, decades ago!

BILL'S FATHER: Does it matter?

BILL: Does it matter? :heavy breathing: What are you doing here?!

BOB: Isn't that obvious?

BILL: Bob?!

BOB: Your brain is deprived from the adequate oxium supply. Your heart is beating slower and slower, your organs are slowly failing one by one. The truth is you are dying, Bill.

BILL: But why - :heavy breathing: - why you?

BOB: Survivor's guilt? Old friendship? You tell me, I'm just a projection created by your mind. But I'm sure about one thing – nobody wants to die alone.

BILL: No! :gasps: Shut up! Get out!

EMU: OXIUM LEVEL 1,02%. PRESSURE 0.823 ATMOSPHERE. WARNING. OXIUM LEVEL CRITICAL. PLEASE RETURN TO THE SHIP IMMEDIATELY.

Concentrate, concentrate! Calm down and breath slowly, you can't – oh, what am I doing?! Fighting for these few more seconds like they matter? I should just – what's this?

KfJ4bZn.jpg

Another part of the wreckage? So far away?

BOB: Why, Bill? Why all this struggle? And for what, to spent last minute of your life looking at what's left of the lander? It's pointless.

BILL: Shut up. :heavy breathing:

EMU: OXIUM LEVEL 0,53%. PRESSURE 0.814 ATMOSPHERE. WARNING. OXIUM LEVEL CRITICAL. PLEASE RETURN TO THE SHIP IMMEDIATELY.

BOB: It'll be a long walk, my friend. And you know what awaits you at the end of it.

BILL: :heavy breathing:

vl58l0s.jpg

Frak, is it a part of the lander at all? I can't see very well in this darkness.

BOB: It's not the darkness, Bill. It's asphyxiation.

BILL: Leave - :heavy breathing: - me alone.

bH2gdsW.jpg

I can't feel my hands. My ribs are on fire, I can't – no, don't give up now. Never give up.

BOB: It's pointless, Bill.

NA4bKO2.jpg

It's not the LAMGML and it's not a rock. What the hell is it?

BOB: It's your imagination, Bill.

EMU: OXIUM LEVEL 0,12%. PRESSURE 0.810 ATMOSPHERE. WARNING. OXIUM LEVEL CRITICAL. PLEASE RETURN TO THE SHIP IMMEDIATELY.

RBaFCUf.jpg

It looks like – dear Kod...

GjjyzoU.jpg

It can't be true. It's impossible. My Kod, it's – it's...

BOB: It's the end, Bill. On the edge of the Solar System, in the shadow between light and darkness.

yi2ASd4.jpg

I...

EMU: CRITICAL WARNING. OXIUM DEPLETED. CRITICAL WARNING. OXIUM DEPLETED.

BILL: :choking:

So this is it. The last moment. Funny, I always thought what they say about your life flashing before your eyes was true. Or at least that part with the bright light.

El7fTdz.jpg

BILL: :choking:

I can't see it. No light. Where's the light? Where's the-

unePWyq.jpg

BILL: Ugh! :choking:

No. Not on my knees. Stand up. Stand up. Don't give up now. Never give up. Never...

wnYoeEp.png

JEB: What' the hell is going on?! Why everyone had to go to the hab modules? Why did you want me here?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Emergency procedure is in progress. Crew must be protected at all cost. Otherwise mission failure is imminent.

JEB: Failure? Why? Tell me, koddamit!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: LAMGML “Beta†was critically damaged while in orbit above Bop. All contact with the vessel and its crew was lost since the accident which occurred 29 minutes ago.

JEB: “Beta� But... Bill! Oh my Kod, Bill! And Genanand! We need to rescue them! Patch me to Dan, the other LAMGML have to-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. All contact with crew was lost. The LAMGML “Beta†was heavily damaged or destroyed. The supply of oxium-

JEB: No! They may still be alive! We need to send a rescue team, now! Dan can-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: By the time either “Proteus†or LAMGML “Alfa†get to Bop orbit, the personal supplies of oxium will be depleted for both crew members of the LAMGML “Betaâ€Â. There is no doubt about that.

JEB: No, koddamn you! We need to save them! I need to save them! Calculate the transfer to Bop, we have to-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Attention. Incoming transmission. Alfa-class priority.

JEB: Distress signal? From Bill?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: From Duna Laboratory Module.

JEB: Duna...? But how-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. I think it's about time we talk about the real goals of this mission.

t17m49v.jpg

yEdh07v.jpg

MISSION STATUS

dfj1e8b.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.