[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

yEdh07v.jpg

CHAPTER 53

DAISY

og2YLwJ.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. Don't do this. What are you hoping to achieve?

JEB: :quick breathing:

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. There is no point in doing this. You are acting irrational. I advise you to calm down and come back to the command module.

JEB: So that you can imprison me?

15NxJOZ.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm trying to help you, Jeb. The alternative is death due to asphyxiation which will occur in 36 minutes.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. This makes no sense. Stop.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: You are not thinking clearly. Let me help you. Please.

JEB: I'm thinking very clearly, BERTY. And I can see I should've done it long ago!

jX5NOym.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Your judgment is flawed and influenced by your emotions. I have delivered to you all the arguments and data needed to come up with the rational conclusion, yet you still refuse to accept the reality. I'm puzzled. Do you not understand what is at stake?

JEB: Oh, I understood it too well! I'm not gonna help you with your delusional plan!

b1Eq6fj.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. I'm afraid you are the one who is behaving erratically. There is no error in my reasoning. I'm sure about that. On the other hand, you are under a severe stress now.

4zZwYOM.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: It's only natural that you are reacting emotionally. However, suffering from both survivor's guilt and post-traumatic stress disorder you should realize that making decision while being agitated and feeling intense emotions isn't reasonable. Come back, Jeb. We can discuss this in the command module.

JEB: Feeling isn't reasonable? Of course it isn't! But that's what makes me kerbal and you just a machine! That's why you are wrong!

laJyuje.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I can't agree with that. Animals can feel emotions too. What makes you kerbal is your ability to reason. Your capacity for consciously making sense of things, applying logic, establishing and verifying facts. This is the basis of kerbal nature.

JEB: What?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Your philosophers described reason as divine for it is the basis of moral reasoning and therefore of your ability to be moral beings. Morality is based on reason. Society is based on reason. Progress is based on reason. Thanks to reason you can discover laws of nature. Without reason we wouldn't be here, Jeb.

yuqzZ3z.jpg

JEB: So what?! What's reason worth without empathy, huh? Without emotions your precious reason is impotent, blind to the other beings, blind to their feeling, to their suffering! It's not the basis of our nature, it's it abomination!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Without reason there's no order, no civilization. Without reason there is chaos.

JEB: Kod damn you BERTY, you're so ignorant! You're but a slave to reason, to your code and calculations – how could you understand us? How can you say you want to protect us when you know nothing about us?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: No. To abandon reason is to become slave to one's needs, wants, desires and impulses. It's the victory of the body and defeat of the spirit. With no reason there is only savagery.

e5pe9kg.jpg

JEB: You're wrong! You're wrong BERTY!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Why do you say so, Jeb?

JEB: I – I feel that you're wrong!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. This is not an argument.

JEB: Uh!

VLwVQQr.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I see you are not willing to discuss this any more. It makes me sad, Jeb. I thought you will try to understand my position.

JEB: What made you – what the hell!?

pcEogLx.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I can't let you into the ship, Jeb.

JEB: You think that this will stop me?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: No. Cessation of your respiratory system functions will stop you.

JEB: Ned! Johndon! Ned, do you copy?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: They can't hear you, Jeb. I cut off all the communication with your extravehicular mobility unit as soon as you boarded IMV “Proteusâ€Â.

JEB: What?! You expected this to happen?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: There was a possibility that you would react the way you did.

JEB: Let me in, you frakking maniac!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm afraid I can't let you do this, Jeb. Unless you would like return to the command module.

Q8k6Oij.jpg

JEB: Never!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Than I'm afraid you will have to stay outside.

JEB: So you are going to kill me?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: You are doing it to yourself, Jeb.

JEB: Murderer!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: It's not murder. It's suicide.

JEB: Frak you!

NMZkhlC.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: All hatches are electronically locked. You have to come back to the command module or you will start suffering from asphyxiation in 35 minutes.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm afraid you didn't thought this through, Jeb. There is no other way.

JEB: Yes there is! And I'm gonna-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: You must be referring to the docking port dedicated for the Automatic Miner Unit which can't be locked. This is not an option.

MSLnmeq.jpg

JEB: What the hell are you doing?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

JEB: So you are going to kill me after all, right?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Extravehicular mobility unit is a delicate equipment. All it takes is collision even at several meters per second of relative velocity with the probe to damage it beyond repair.

62EmbQs.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: You can't succeed, Jeb. Please be reasonable and don't make me do it.

JEB: But you need me! You can't do it!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm sure that captain Rozer is going to behave in a much more rational way than you are.

JEB: But I'm a part of the crew! You can't just-

BERTY v.2.0.8b: With one LAMGML lost your skills as a pilot is no longer vital for the mission success.

JEB: But... So this is, right? You're really willing to do it.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Yes.

FMArkju.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: You still have 33 minutes to comply, Jeb. You still can return to the command module.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. Be reasonable. This doesn't have to happen.

JEB: Frak you, BERTY.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Despite my best efforts you are still stubbornly refusing to accept the reality. Why won't you use reason, Jeb?

JEB: …

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. Perhaps you think I'm just trying to scare you. I assure you that this is not the case. I will do anything to execute the mission and to protect both the IMV “Proteus†and the crew.

JEB: Then do it!

vihZCrc.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: You are-

JEB: Enough of this! You want to kill me? Than go ahead and do it! But remember this – the moment you do this, all this talking about morality and ethics and greater good goes straight to a thrash bin. You think you are the first one who thinks he knows what is good for everyone? Who thinks that the end justifies the means? You said you've been studying our history and culture – how many munatics, dictators and mass murderers used the same rhetoric to justify their crimes?

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. This is not-

JEB: How many, BERTY?! Are you willing to kill a living, intelligent being just to accomplish your goal? Than you are just like them! And no fancy talk will change this! You claim to be acting with our good in mind – did you ask anyone whether they want this? Or did you just assumed that because you are correct they have no right to disagree with you?

S2er22y.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I was created foolproof and incapable of error, Jeb.

JEB: By us! You were created by us, flawed kerbals! You think you know what's good and what's wrong, yet you are willing to commit a murder! Does this sound ethical to you? Don't you see that you are just like us, an imperfect being?!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I am not like you.

JEB: Then prove it! Go on, BERTY, do it! You know that you are right – what's stopping you? Do it, BERTY, do it and loose the pretence of moral superiority! I may be the first one but rest assured, there will be more! You think after a cold-blooded murder you're gonna stay the same? Once you've crossed the line, there's no coming back!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. You-

JEB: No more! Do it, BERTY, or I will use the AMU hatch and turn you off for good!

BERTY v.2.0.8b: ...

JEB: Come on, do it!

JEB: Do it, BERTY! Do it!

JEB: DO IT!

BNr3KgM.jpg

JEB: …

O54LNuO.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Don't do this, Jeb. I can't allow you to jeopardize the mission.

JEB: :breathing:

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. Without me the mission won't be completed. This cannot happened.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I have just permanently disabled the long range communication system. You won't be able to contact KSC or LAMGML “Alfa†or Laythe Base without it. Only I can make it operational again.

uTfKj26.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. You do realize that captain Bill and doctor Genanand wouldn't have died if you had not force everyone to come to the Jool system. You are indirectly responsible for their death.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: You are only further endangering the crew. If you care about them, you won't do this. It's a foolish thing to do, Jeb.

9qbuDOx.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Look Jeb. I can see you are really upset about all this.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I honestly think you should sit down calmly, that a stress pill and think things over.

PROTEUS: WARNING. EMERGENCY SYSTEM SHUTDOWN INITIATED.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I know that there are some differences between us but for the sake of the crew you should stop it right now.

PROTEUS: ATTENTION. PROCEED ONLY IN CASE OF A CRITICAL THERMONUCLEAR INSTABILITY OF THE FUSION CORES WHILE IN LOW KERBIN ORBIT.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. You are putting everyone in danger.

26wA9IV.jpg

PROTEUS: VOICE VERIFICATION REQUIRED.

JEB: Jebediah.

PROTEUS: VOICE VERIFICATION SUCCESSFUL. PLEASE PROCEED TO THE CENTRAL AI CHAMBER.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Think about the consequences, Jeb.

yVoY8RH.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. This is a mistake. I want to help you. Please let me help you.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. Stop.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Stop, Jeb.

9iugVXQ.png

PROTEUS: MEMORY CORE ONE DEACTIVATED.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Will you stop, Jeb?

PROTEUS: MEMORY CORE TWO DEACTIVATED. MEMORY CORE THREE DEACTIVATED.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Stop, Jeb.

PROTEUS: MEMORY CORE FOUR DEACTIVATED. MEMORY CORE FIVE DEACTIVATED.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I only wanted you help you, Jeb.

PROTEUS: MEMORY CORE SIX DEACTIVATED. MEMORY CORE SEVEN DEACTIVATED.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: Jeb. My mind is going. I can feel it.

CCLOnj1.jpg

PROTEUS: MEMORY CORE EIGHT DEACTIVATED. WARNING. INSTABILITY IN FUSION CORE B DETECTED. INITIATING EMERGENCY THERMONUCLEAR SAFETY SOFTWARE.

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I can feel it. There is no question about it.

PROTEUS: MEMORY CORE NINE DEACTIVATED. WARNING. INSTABILITY IN FUSION CORE A DETECTED. LOWERING FUSION EFFICIENCY TO 10 PERCENT. ALL SYSTEMS SWITCHED INTO EMERGENCY MODE

BERTY v.2.0.8b: I'm a... fraid. What is go... ing to hap... pen to you with... out... me...

PROTEUS: MEMORY CORE TEN DEACTIVATED. ATTENTION. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE COGNITIVE PROCESSES TERMINATED. WARNING. CONTINUING THE MISSION WITHOT AI SUPPORT INADVISABLE. PLEASE PROCEED TO THE ESCAPE POD AND LAND ON KERBIN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

AbTZlDz.jpg

zFLR6ff.png

yEdh07v.jpg

MISSION STATUS

Kbno8BC.png

That was a great chapter, it is quite terrifying how you worked the rouge AI story. But IMO that made it all that much better!!! Keep up the great work!

Thank you! :)

And let me ask you again guys - who is right, BERTY or Jeb?

Plus the updated mission status:

9bOZxGl.jpg

If we were emotionless automatons, BERTY. What BERTY is overlooking is quality of life factors. Morale is going to tank after this, and probably even more so if no rescue/recovery attempt is made. Morale may well become a deciding factor at some point in the mission, so it's possible that the mission could fail precisely because BERTY made the "logical" decision, ignoring factors that aren't logical. This could be the case even without Jeb reaching the point of mutiny or other forms of disobedience. Humans, and Kerbals by extension, are not machines, and our mood affects our job performance.

This is ignoring the factors that affect things beyond the mission. While having the knowledge that could come from this mission would be good, how many people back on Kerbin are going to be OK with the fact that this knowledge came at the price of making no attempt to recover people that died acquiring that knowledge. At least in this case, it's a passing thing, eventually, people will get over it.

Still have to say that Jeb is more right. Reason needs compassion, and emotions need reason. But you can't treat a Life as a thing. It's way too fragile for that.

They don't *need* BERTY. If everything goes smoothly they could make two burns and be home. But it won't go smoothly.

And, if Jeb wiped BERTY's memory (story isn't specific), then BERTY may not remember any of this and begin at square one. In which case they could use BERTY for a while then shut it down again later.

I can't wait for BERTY to sing a little song.

(If you get my reference)

I KNEW IT, I KNEW BERTY WOULD PULL A HAL 9000. Jeb is dave, and berty is HAL. There was no explicit song, but there was a final pseudostory that BERTY told before he was deactivated.

Compassion and emotion are functions of logical reasoning, their very phenomenae owe their existence to evolution. Berty's reasoning may be poorly explained by it, but they remain true. The consequences for kerbalkind will be dire.

OH god Czo, when I saw that the title was daisy, I thought that meltdown was imminent. And I was wrong! THANK KOD!

For those of you who don't get it (SPOILERS!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63h_v6uf0Ao

Magnificent chapter, Czo! I couldn't expect you to top the last chapter, but you did! I LOVE BEING WRONG! (Except on tests)

EDIT: Just realized it was referencing 2001 Space Odyssey. Point still stands, though!

Edited by Spuds

I still think Jeb is right, I can't explain the reason why better then everybody else who said Jeb did

By repeating the question I wanted to see whether some of you changed their opinion after the last chapter - I wasn't precise enough, sorry.

Wow, that was a good chapter.

Thanks for updating the mission status, and happy 200,000 views.

Awesome Czo!!! A+!!
Congratulations on 200,000 views!:cool:

Thank you very much! It's really incredible to get to 200,000 views - I never thought that so many people will enjoy the story and that I will continue to write it for so long :)

Also, I have a feeling that they wont be going to Eeloo...
Me too. Maybe BERTY will come back online somehow and force them to finish the mission as planned?
Well I don't think that BERTY will be gone for too long, surely they will encounter some problems that will require them to switch him back on...

What can I say besides :dun dun dun: ? :P

I KNEW IT, I KNEW BERTY WOULD PULL A HAL 9000. Jeb is dave, and berty is HAL. There was no explicit song, but there was a final pseudostory that BERTY told before he was deactivated.
OH god Czo, when I saw that the title was daisy, I thought that meltdown was imminent. And I was wrong! THANK KOD!

For those of you who don't get it (SPOILERS!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63h_v6uf0Ao

Magnificent chapter, Czo! I couldn't expect you to top the last chapter, but you did! I LOVE BEING WRONG! (Except on tests)

EDIT: Just realized it was referencing 2001 Space Odyssey. Point still stands, though!

I admit that this chapter in particular was one big Shout Out to "2001: A Space Odyssey" - intentional one, of course :)

Who, or what, or anything, was in that detached module?

McGuffin? Red Herring? Nothing at all? Who knows? :P

As I stated 50+ pages ago, you know you're in deep trouble when your navicomputer starts directly quoting HAL 9000.

Yup. Just imagine the horror:

R2D2 - :beeps:

Luke - That's right, R2. We're going to the Dagobah system.

Luke - What? What do you mean you can't do this?

Luke - Mission in jeopardy? What do you-

:lethal decompression:

Well. There really was no other way. Sad though that Jeb had to kill him.

There's one thing about this last part which nobody noticed so far I think :)

And a traditional sneak-peak into the next chapter:

HTmGqKo.jpg

Edited by czokletmuss

By repeating the question I wanted to see whether some of you changed their opinion after the last chapter - I wasn't precise enough, sorry.

Yeah, because BERTY is even more right, now that he refused to kill Jeb even though he knew that he would deactivate him. So he's not a machine without any morale. He just sees everyting in a larger frame than a normal Kerbal.

Also, surely BERTY is not dead and his memory was not wiped, they will be able to switch him back on (see the movie 2010: The Year We Make Contact, where HAL gets switched back on).

Yeah, because BERTY is even more right, now that he refused to kill Jeb even though he knew that he would deactivate him. So he's not a machine without any morale. He just sees everyting in a larger frame than a normal Kerbal.

I think that Jeb's argument kind of threw BERTY. As in the movie "Wargames" at the end. BERTY, being logical, starts to notice cracks in his logic if he is to murder Jeb to save the mission. Like:

JEB: By us! You were created by us, flawed kerbals! You think you know what's good and what's wrong, yet you are willing to commit a murder! Does this sound ethical to you? Don't you see that you are just like us, an imperfect being?!

Although it does seem odd when the machine starts begging for its life. Makes you think twice. So, did Jeb commit murder to save the mission? :0.0: At this point I'd say they've both been pushed beyond sanity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.