CHAPTER 54

LAYTHE: DUSK

FRFdCfb.jpg

43 DAYS AFTER THE LANDING

ROZER: Watch out, it's very slippery.

SID: Mhm.

ROZER: :sigh:

SID: Are you alright?

ROZER: Yes. The experiment isn't exactly light. How far are we?

SID: 685 meters. We're almost there.

ROZER: Good.

SID: Rozer?

ROZER: What?

SID: Why didn't you tell me?

ROZER: I did.

SID: Yes – few days ago. Dear Kod, you knew about it for months!

ROZER: So did Jeb.

LAYTHE LANDER: EVA One. Oxium level – 79,23%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – minus 78,2 °C. External pressure – 0.8 atm. EVA Two. Oxium level – 75,01%. Suit temperature-

ROZER: Why did you turn it off?

SID: We need to talk about it, Rozer.

ROZER: We already did. If you are not willing to help me deactivate BERTY there's nothing to talk about.

SID: Of course I won't! This would be disastrous – how are we even going to come back without him overseeing all the subsystems, especially the fusion cores?

ROZER: As I said, there's nothing to talk about.

SID: Quite the contrary. I'm sure that if we try to convince him, BERTY would-

ROZER: Did you forget what I told you? We tried to talk, me and Jeb. But it's pointless. The only thing we can do if we want to regain control over the mission is to terminate it.

SID: Then why Jeb didn't support your idea?

ROZER: Because he's a wreck. And the machine is smart. Always listening, seeing our every move. Do you really think that it would allow me to reveal the truth earlier? Only here, separated from everyone, we're beyond its reach, for the time being.

SID: But sweet Lord, you can't really consider disconnecting it! Without BERTY-

ROZER: With the AI operational we're nothing more but a hostages forced to work for it, slaves actually.

SID: But you were always saying that nothing is more important than the mission, didn't you? And disconnecting him would endanger it, there's no doubt about it.

ROZER: That's true. But, first of all, I don't know what are the true goals of our mission. They didn't tell me anything about what we're supposed to do in Jool system – they intended to send instructions after we get here. :breathing: And second of all, whatever we're supposed to do here doesn't matter in face of what we're dealing with.

SID: What are you-

ROZER: Rogue artificial intelligence, Sid. A probably sentient being much more intelligent than any living kerbal, not bounded by any restrictions besides the self-imposed ones. The machine-

SID: Sentient?

ROZER: Probably. You are a scientist, Sid, use your imagination – don't you see how dangerous the AI can be? It's already ignoring all attempts to control it but at least it's trying to proceed accordingly to the mission objectives. :heavy breathing: What will happen if the mission is completed? :breathing: What if it will replicate itself to the computers on Kerbin? Or worse, what if it starts modifying its own code?

SID: Honestly, I don't think this is possible at all. This is not some cheap science-fiction story Rozer, this is reality. What are you suggesting is-

ROZER: But what if it is possible? We can't bring it with ourselves to Kerbin, no matter what. :heavy breathing:

SID: We won't even get back without it! The fusion cores could – look, it's the probe!

dMrU3Nb.jpg

ROZER: Finally. :heavy breathing:

SID: Are you sure you are alright?

ROZER: I'm fine. :heavy breathing: Go check it. And Sid?

SID: Yes?

ROZER: Let's concentrate on our job for now. No more needless talking.

SID: You are the one who's speculating about BERTY.

ROZER: It's not a speculation. It's a possibility.

SID: :sigh:

ROZER: Check the probe.

DcOLsO4.jpg

SID: I'm checking it. It seems everything's fine, it's still operational. Amazing. After all these days and being exposed to extreme conditions it's still doing its job... That's a fine piece of equipment right here.

ROZER: Samples?

SID: Sealed and ready to be collected. Are you-

ROZER: I'm fine.

LAYTHE LANDER: EVA Two. Oxium level – 70,26%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – minus 78,2 °C. External pressure – 0.8 atm.

ROZER: Hmm. How far are we?

SID: Let me see... 734,9 meters from the base.

ROZER: Good.

SID: Where are you going? Going alone is-

ROZER: I'm slower than you, you'll catch up with me easily. Take the samples, and secure the experiments.

SID: I know what I'm doing, alright?

ROZER: Sure you do.

SID: Kod, why are you always so-

ROZER: Yes?

SID: :sigh: Nothing. Just go. Jerk.

GVXbfSf.jpg

SID: Now what do we have here. Surface samples, SSP, DAN, RAD, APXS... Ah, there you are. Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer, good... And Extremophile Vegetation Experiment. Hmm. It's hard to tell whether you are still alive fellas, but if you are... If you are than perhaps one day we will make this mun a little more hospitable than the radioactive wasteland the islands are right now.

srB9ZiU.jpg

SID: Or we won't. I don't think you care anyways. Life must be much easier without a central nervous system, isn't it? You just eat and multiply. Hard to believe that for 1.5 billion years you ruled the Kerbin. But you did. You were there at the very beginning. And who knows, maybe at some point you will be there at the new beginning, will it be on Duna or here. Kerrbaforming Now that would be exciting, wouldn't it?

CF9y5wj.jpg

SID: Kod, what am I doing, talking to a bunch of microbes. But after all we're the only living beings here which I know of. Knowing this kinda forces you to look in a new way at things. Huh. Perhaps that's the greatest thing space exploration gave us – a different point of view. Damn, I'm getting philosophical. Alright, all the samples collected, time to go.

cPdGFki.jpg

wU8ylvi.jpg

ROZER: Did you take the samples from the beach?

SID: All of them are secured. Is it ready?

axYnd3s.jpg

ROZER: Yes. Deploying the last experiment.

SID: I hope it'll work.

ROZER: We'll see about that. Deployment in progress.

SID: Light up, baby.

ROZER: And... done. Experiment operational.

NInzKpH.jpg

SID: Yes! We'll finally get some data from the ocean!

ROZER: Mhm.

SID: This is great! The other experiments are already providing invaluable readings of the atmosphere characteristics, but the interactions between the ocean and land will surely give us more insight into Laythe's evolution. The sea breeze, for instance, will allow us to check whether the ammonia-

ROZER: Sid.

ROZER: Do you think there is life out there?

0JgA8D2.jpg

SID: In the ocean?

ROZER: Yes.

SID: Well, nobody really knows what may be hidden in the deep. The world ocean is actually in volume than the ocean back on Kerbin. However, it would take at least several probes dedicated to investigate it, both floating on the surface and diving deep, to try to-

ROZER: I know you don't know. Nobody knows. I'm asking what you think about it.

SID: Oh.

ROZER: Well? What do you think?

SID: My personal opinion is irrelevant. Only science can tell us for sure.

ROZER: …

SID: However, there are... hints.

ROZER: Oxium.

SID: Yes. Oxium is a highly reactive element and without some source replenishing it constantly, it should long ago bond with the rocks. There is a theory that some amount of it is created in the upper layer of the atmosphere by cosmic rays destroying compounds of H2O in the water ice clouds, thus creating hydrogen and oxium. And since hydrogen is the lightest element there is, it escapes the Laythe's gravity well in the end, leaving only oxium. But considering the amount of it in the atmosphere... it's highly unlikely that this is the real cause. The only other explanation would be life – cyanobacteria, to be precise. Perhaps Laythe is undergoing it's own Great Oxygenation Event right now.

ROZER: But?

SID: The ocean is immense. Before there would be enough oxium to start accumulating in the atmosphere, it would have to saturate the ocean. This took hundreds of millions of years – on Kerbin. Here, so far from the Sun, the cyanobacteria won't be able to use photosynthesis as a source of energy. The only reason Laythe is so hot is it's thick atmosphere and tidal heating.

ROZER: It's minus 80 degrees Celsius.

SID: But it should be minus 200 degrees. All life require energy to counter the entropy, to break chemical compounds, to grow, to move, to reproduce. And there just isn't enough of it here in the Jool system, even for primitive bacteria.

ROZER: So you think the ocean is dead than.

SID: Well... there is a possibility. Laythe is so close to Jool and Tylo is so massive that the tidal heating may be enough to not only keep the core from cooling and enable convection in the mantle, but also to create hydrothermal vents. Not hydrothermal actually, since it's not water but ammonium hydroxide which fills the ocean and prevents it from freezing. But this may be the alternative source of energy needed for life to start.

1024px-Deep_sea_vent_chemistry_diagram.jpg

ROZER: Even replacing the Sun?

SID: Perhaps. Chemosynthesis isn't that much different from photosynthesis – they both require energy source, carbon dioxide and water to produce sugars. And we have found such small oasis of life on Kerbin, kilometers below the ocean's surface. So it is possible, theoretically. Hell, some even say that it was the place when life started on Kerbin, in the darkness beneath the ocean. But there is one big problem with this theory.

ROZER: Which is?

SID: Byproduct of photosynthesis is oxium. But a byproduct of chemosynthesis is sulfur. Even if there is some primitive life form down there nearby the thermal vents, where did the oxium come from?

ROZER: I see. So either there is no life but it doesn't explain the oxium or there is life and it still doesn't explain the oxium.

SID: Exactly. Maybe when we deliver our samples to labs at home we will solve the mystery. Or maybe we won't and it would take us years and several more probes to find out. But if there is a life, I think it's either deep down there or there isn't any at all. And so far we have found nothing.

ROZER: Nothing...

SID: Yes. Ahem. The experiment is working. There's nothing more to be done here.

LAYTHE LANDER: EVA One. Oxium level – 57,59%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – minus 79,7 °C. External pressure – 0.8 atm. EVA Two. Oxium level – 53,24%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – minus 79,7 °C. External pressure – 0.8 atm.

SID: Crap, you have only 53% of oxium left. We're, hmm, 1528,9 meters from the lander and the Sun will set soon. I think we should – what is this?

1JQx6FW.jpg

ROZER: Personal item.

SID: You take something from the lander out here? Are you insane?! The contamination-

ROZER: It was sterilized. Thoroughly. It's sealed, see?

SID: Rozer, what the frak were you thinking when you – don't open it!

:click:

SID: What's this? Barometer?

ROZER: It's my father's compass.

SID: Your father's? He gave it to you before we left?

ROZER: He's dead.

SID: Oh. I'm sorry, Rozer.

ROZER: Don't be.

SID: It's must be old. A very nice gift.

ROZER: It isn't a gift. He forgot it when he left us.

SID: Left?

ROZER: Yes. The usual. Alcohol. Violence. Problems with the police. He left my mother when I was 6. Nothing interesting to talk about.

pkl3Le7.jpg

SID: …

ROZER: I have no idea where did he get it from though. Probably stole it. We never had much money, you know. I used to get inside a cardboard box and imagine that I'm Columbus or Magellan, exploring uncharted seas, discover unknown islands, the more distant the better. When he was sober enough to care about such things he didn't like it. Stupid fantasies, he called it. Like mother he never left the state he was born in. His own pathetic life was too important for him to notice the world he lived in. Or us. One day he just took all valuable things we had and left.

ROZER: She didn't take it well. Lost custody soon after this. I went to school, later joined Navy. She died, probably overdosed. I kept the compass. Joined the spec ops. Saw the Kinese Duna landing, decided to become kerbonaut. I succeeded before “Kadmos†returned. President cancelled manned exploration program, project “Proteus†started. You know the rest.

SID: Rozer-

ROZER: It was long time ago. They are both dead now. But I kept the compass. Like I said, not a particularly interesting story.

SID: Listen, if you want to be alone for a moment-

ROZER: I would appreciate that.

SID: I will wait for you near the probe.

SID: Good. Ahem. Take your time. I'll see you there.

ROZER: It won't take long. Sid?

ROZER: Thank you.

SID: Don't mention it.

xft2CDG.jpg

:looks at the compass:

:looks at the ocean:

ROZER: I did it, old man.

:looks at Jool:

ROZER: I did it.

:throws the compass to the ocean:

ROZER: Burn in hell.

qyJo1Sv.jpg

1o3ozOD.jpg

jvjo5qe.jpg

ROZER: How our consumables are looking?

SID: Just a moment.

LAYTHE LANDER: EVA One. Oxium level – 24,48%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – minus 86,2 °C. External pressure – 0.8 atm. EVA Two. Oxium level – 19,56%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – minus 86,2 °C. External pressure – 0.8 atm.

SID: Surprisingly good. We could spend another hour or so without getting to the minimal safety level. Rozer?

ROZER: Yeah?

SID: If there's something you would like to talk about-

ROZER: No. I'm fine.

SID: Copy that. Well, we have all the samples, we should get inside as soon as possible. Walking so long in 0.8g really makes you tired, don't it? Hmm? Rozer?

ROZER: I've never seen it so bright.

xU9eGIv.jpg

SID: The mun is between the Sun and Jool right now and we're near the terminator. But yes, the disk is extraordinarily bright.

ROZER: Mhm.

SID: Magnificent view. Truly extrakerbestrial sky.

ROZER: Ha.

SID: What?

ROZER: Nothing.

SID: We can as well observe it from the inside though. I'm going to the hatch.

vZNC7X3.jpg

LBbNaHU.jpg

SID: Okay, I'm in. Your turn.

ROZER: Copy that.

84pbasS.jpg

ROZER: By the way, are there any new messages from the “Proteus� There have been no contact with them for the last few days.

SID: I'm on it. Do you think it's the Laythe Sat?

ROZER: I bet it's a fried piece of junk by now. Either this or some other malfunction, I don't think BERTY would allow-

SID: There is one recorded transmission.

ROZER: About time. You want to play it?

SID: I'll secure the samples first, it's probably nothing important.

V3lGwR6.jpg

3oGT0Ym.jpg

ROZER: Ah, it's good to get out of this damn EMU. Samples secured?

SID: Yes.

ROZER: Alright.

SID: Shall we check the transmission from “Proteus�

ROZER: Yes.

LAYTHE LANDER: Transmission from – IMV “PROTEUSâ€Â. Transmission received T plus 43 days 22 hours-

ROZER: Order: skip it. Play the transmission.

SID: Here's your coffee.

LAYTHE LANDER: Affirmative.

ROZER: Thanks.

LAYTHE LANDER: Transmission 36. ABORT EXPLORATION. BERTY DISCONNECTED. LONG RANGE COMMS DEAD. PREPARE LAV. ORBIT INSERTION AND RENDEZVOUS ASAP. CMDR JEB.

3vufMgm.jpg

yEdh07v.jpg

MISSION STATUS

Kbno8BC.png

Edited by czokletmuss

Oh boy oh boy oh boy
your soon is still to long :sticktongue:

It's always too long :P

Can't wait for the next chapter *calls Russian former KGB hit man named Oleg to hurry process up*

Holy crap! Here's the next chapter, good sir!

Damn you, czoklettmuss... I had to watch that whole damn movie at once, it was so good! *shakes fist*
And you can *hear* the tension.

You are welcome. The only thing which bugs me about this tv-series is "copy that". I mean don't the screenwriters know that there are other ways of saying expressing confirmation like "okay", "roger", "mhm", "will do", "yes sir" or even plain "copy"? I dare you to do "Race to Mars" drinking game - even a small sip every time you hear "copy that' will get you killed :P

This is starting to remind me of 2001: A Space Odyssey...

Mission to Joolpiter? Artificial intelligence? Secret objective? Investigating possible signs of extrekerbestrial life? I don't see any similiarities :P

Wow...

Just, wow...

I was wandering in the forum as i am noob, about 1 week and half ago, trying to find information and inspiration for my new ships in KSP and then i found this...

Czokletmuss, i just hate u... this story u're writing absorbed all my free time, second by second, burn by burn, since then. I'm serious... From prologue 1, to Daisy and also all Kadmos story, i wasn't able to stop.

I just stopped to read only because there isn't nothing left to read.

And now, that i flyied with Kadmos and Proteus, i hate u, because i feel that coming back to designing vanilla ships in KSP is absolutedly boring, because aside of the planets, what u have and describe in your story isn't actually the same in the game... Now i HAVE to try it with all the mods u have and the only one i have now is engineer redux! KOD DAMMIT, CZOKLETMUSS! FRAK U!

Emperor-Palpatine.jpg

Jokes apart:

U're great man! u made my fun in this days, i stopped to play everygame to read your story, i really enjoyed it.

U made such great work! For the writing, for the story, for the engineering of ALL the ultra cool ships u builded for it (that i didn't know that could be possible to build), the amazing Proteus and the really cool and numerous Kerbal acting images with which u tell us the story u invented. And also obviously for your time and dedication.

I found it fun that some things are from films and literature, like Sunshine themes and Asimoov tree laws, but i really think they fit a lot into it. Also with a whole bunch of Kerbality mixed to them. If u will continue it to the end, u'll be sure that u will have at least one reader here for sure.

Keep up the awesome work, i'll be there for chapter 54 and, well, thanks for all.

Thank you very much! This is a very nice thing to read and feeling that someone is enjoying the story you write is great, even despite numerous grammatical errors and typos :) I'm glad that you enjoy both the story itself and various shout outs to (pop?)culture. I don't consider myself to be a real writer so I think they fit nicely into the story. But who knows, maybe one day I'll be good enough to write something with my sources of inspiration being less obvious ;) Once again thank you very much and welcome to the KSP, Key! And rest assured that there will be more chapters - after all, what is a story without a decent finale, right? :)

P.S. Can't u pass me the list of the mods u used? i'm excited as hell to try them all, but i don't know if i'm able to find them...

Here you go:

zxHv4Kn.jpg

Some of them were made for 0.18, so don't expect them to work on 0.23 (the Grand Tour is on 0.20.2 KSP). However I'm planning on releasing the craft files and a complete and detailed list of parts with description how to make them work in 0.23 - if it'll be possible at all :)

Take care!

Edited by czokletmuss

Great work Czokltemuss. Now they just have to get off Laythe, and find a way to talk back to KSC (if they want to)... and... oh yeah, minor matter of the AI controlled fusion reactor. Hmmm, some work to do huh? Jury rigged computer control anyone? Oh, Risky.

Oh, minor nit-pick. Times of day don't have an article, so it isn't 'The Dusk', it's just 'Dusk'. Just as you don't say 'The twelve o'clock', or 'The midnight'. (EDIT: OK, there are times when you do have an article on this. When things are expanded like 'The Midnight hour'. In English there are always exceptions! :) It's just plain weird.)

Edited by Patupi

This... Man, this...

I have no words to describe the feeling i get when i read it. A mixture of excitement, joy, surprise... Every new word i read is another step to unravel the plot, your damn cliffhangers make me wait so anxiously to the next part...

You deserve the respect of all beings in the Multiverse. Period.

-snip-

You are welcome. The only thing which bugs me about this tv-series is "copy that". I mean don't the screenwriters know that there are other ways of saying expressing confirmation like "okay", "roger", "mhm", "will do", "yes sir" or even plain "copy"? I dare you to do "Race to Mars" drinking game - even a small sip every time you hear "copy that' will get you killed :P

-snip-

There is also the good old fashioned "wilco". But back to the main reason I am posting, this chapter is AMAZING, its to a point where I can feel a lot of sympathy for Rozer, I never thought that I would consider him my favorite character

dun, Dun, DUNNNNN
Yet another fine chapter. Nice work :)

Thank you! :)

... I feel bad now for thinking rozer was a bad guy :(

Wonderful chapter!

Well, I did my best to NOT describe any character unambiguously; besides, Black And White Morality was always kinda lame IMO (unless it was Tolkien!)

Great work Czokltemuss. Now they just have to get off Laythe, and find a way to talk back to KSC (if they want to)... and... oh yeah, minor matter of the AI controlled fusion reactor. Hmmm, some work to do huh? Jury rigged computer control anyone? Oh, Risky.

Oh, minor nit-pick. Times of day don't have an article, so it isn't 'The Dusk', it's just 'Dusk'. Just as you don't say 'The twelve o'clock', or 'The midnight'. (EDIT: OK, there are times when you do have an article on this. When things are expanded like 'The Midnight hour'. In English there are always exceptions! :) It's just plain weird.)

Yeah, fusion core instability is a MINOR problem which has to be challenged sooner or later :P

Damn, always when I think I know how to use English properly things like this pop up. At least I'm learning something :)

This... Man, this...

I have no words to describe the feeling i get when i read it. A mixture of excitement, joy, surprise... Every new word i read is another step to unravel the plot, your damn cliffhangers make me wait so anxiously to the next part...

You deserve the respect of all beings in the Multiverse. Period.

These are the best things in life - to crush your characters, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of your readers!

There is also the good old fashioned "wilco". But back to the main reason I am posting, this chapter is AMAZING, its to a point where I can feel a lot of sympathy for Rozer, I never thought that I would consider him my favorite character

Interesting, I didn't know "wilco" - thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter, it was a lot of fun to write it. And yeah, Rozer is amongst my favorite characters to write about :)

I like Rozer. I can't wait for TEH EPIC SPACE BATTLESâ„¢ To happen when BERTY, turns himself back on

*insert dun dun duuuunnnn! Here* keep up the good work and how long have these poor kerbals been in space for?

Prediction: when tne crew tries to return to Kerbin, a hidden navigation program activates that uses a solar slingshot to send them to Eeloo. BERTY hath vengeance!

That would be a pretty spectacular Chekhov's Gun, that for sure. But will it happen? :)

wow great chapter. And you made me LIKE Rozer now.... Why did you do this to me :mad:
Damn, you actually made me like Rozer! :D

But why did they only get the transmission 43 days later or is that the mission timer?

All I did was to make him open a little and talk for a moment about himself - sorry if you are dissapointed :P

This is the time since the landing on Laythe; the last chapter events take place several dozens of hours after the previous chapter, as it's implied by "Proteus" travelling to Laythe after transfer burn on the last screenshot.

*Sees new chapter*

"Eeermeghuuuud- New Chapter!"

*Furious Reading*

"Refresh! Why u no give meh new chapter!"

Sums it up quite nicely

Chill out, the next one is coming Soon :)

I just want to give Rozer a hug now. Probably only tall enough to reach my knee but still...

happy-cuteness-overload-l.png

Something tells me Rozer was a red herring bad guy. Rozer's just doing his job. Still a jerk, but not evil.

czokletmuss, you sure know how to twist things around. Can't wait to read the next chapter.

Or was he? :> Thanks and be patient, the next one is done in 60%.

If he's starting to build up Rozer as a character, that might mean that Jeb will soon be gone.

You are referring to the Sorting Algorithm of Deadness which usually works BUT the problem is whether you know which archetype he represents. The Jerk? The Jerk With a Heart of Gold? The Hero? The Nominal Hero? The Anti-Hero? The Villain? The Anti-Villain? Or is he just a Red Herring? Or maybe Chekhov's Gunman? That's why TV Tropes is so awesome - you gain meta-knowledge about how stories work :)

Expect some sneak-peak screenshot today, folks.

yEdh07v.jpg

CHAPTER 55

LAYTHE ASCENT

ypRUXlg.jpg

44 DAYS AFTER THE LANDING

LAYTHE LANDER: Orbit insertion burn in T minus 55 minutes.

ROZER: Are these all the samples we've collected?

SID: Yes, that's everything we've got in these containers.

ROZER: Good. Come on, help me with this.

SID: Okay. Uh!

ROZER: There, to the corner.

SID: Damn it's heavy.

ROZER: Push.

SID: Uh!

ROZER: Done.

SID: You think they will survive?

ROZER: I don't know, they weren't testing the base module for this. If the exhaust won't damage the hull than they'll be fine.

SID: I can't believe it. BERTY is gone, we're leaving the samples and Bill-

ROZER: Hey! Concentrate. We don't have much time, alright? We need to act quickly. Now, let's go.

SID: If we only get the message earlier. We could have save so much more!

ROZER: Push.

SID: uh! I can't fraking believe in it. Uh! First manned mission to Laythe, first samples ever gathered from its surface.

ROZER: Careful.

SID: I see. Uh! And we're going to just dump them here. Kod dammit! We're only 44 days into the mission, we could stay here for two more weeks!

ROZER: I know.

SID: Frak. Are you sure that the LAV won't do this?

ROZER: I've been testing it for days, Sid. We have barely enough fuel to get into orbit and that's after we've stripped down the pod to the bone. It doesn't even have life support system right now or chairs for that matter. And I'm still not sure whether it will be enough. But I'm sure about one thing – it won't take to orbit both of us and the samples.

LAYTHE LANDER: T minus 50 minutes.

SID: Dammit!

ROZER: Now, did you put all the most valuable samples here like I asked you?

SID: Yes, I selected them like you wanted. The extremophiles experiment, samples from the shore and the most promising samples from other sites. Everything we've been working for is sealed here.

ROZER: Good. Give me the wrench please.

SID: Here. You know, honestly I don't know is it worth it.

ROZER: What?

SID: Taking the container outside. The next landing on Laythe may not happen for years and what guarantee we have that they will land here and use these samples? We can just as well leave them inside the base. Even if the exhaust from the LAV engines damage the hull and it'll depressurize... well, I don't think it would matter.

ROZER: Hmm, you may be right.

SID: I would prefer not to.

ROZER: Okay than, let's take them out. Can you give me the screwdriver?

SID: Sure. Which one?

ROZER: The small one. And Sid?

SID: Yeah?

ROZER: I'm sorry.

SID: Huh? What are you-

:thud:

iyILYSl.png

zwJqrtd.png

x9AJqWs.png

SID: …uh. My head... ouch! Crap... Rozer? Where are - what the hell? Where are the samples?

ROZER: I took them.

SID: Are you in the pod? What the frak is going on, Rozer?

ROZER: I took the most valuable samples to the LAV. I'm taking them with me.

LAYTHE LANDER: Optimal launch window in T minus 30 minutes.

SID: What?!

ROZER: The LAV don't have enough fuel to take both of us and without BERTY it's going to need a pilot to get in orbit.

SID: You are going to leave me here?!

ROZER: It's the only rational thing to do. You won't be able to reach the orbit on your own. You would die and we would lose the samples. And I have to go.

SID: What? Why?!

ROZER: With the AI disconnected there's nothing which could stop Jeb from whatever he's going to do. He's unstable. I must be there to stop him if necessary, to protect the crew from him. To protect the mission.

SID: Mission you know nothing about?! Dump the samples and let's go, just like we decided to!

ROZER: The samples are more important than either of us. You said it yourself, we may have found life here but we won't know unless they will investigate them in labs on Kerbin.

SID: Are you insane? Open the hatch! You can't leave me!

ROZER: I can. And I will. Listen, I don't want to do this but it's the right thing to do.

SID: The right thing? You're discussing leaving me for certain death!

ROZER: If only you knew how to operate the LAV, I would be the one to stay. I would have to stay, for the good of the mission. But you can't do this and you are not going to oppose Jeb. We both know that.

B5ZymB5.jpg

SID: No. No, no. There must be something we can do, there must be something-

ROZER: This is not a debate. We don't have enough fuel and you don't know how to operate this vehicle. Maybe with BERTY taking control over the LAV you would be able to reach orbit, but the AI is disconnected. I can program the autopilot but it won't handle the strong winds on its own and it would take only a slight mistake during course correction to end up with few meters per second short to stay in orbit.

SID: But – but you can't do this. You can't.

ROZER: Sid. This is not up to me or you – this is physics. This is the rocket equation. To increase the initial mass with unchanged amount of propellant means to decrease the total maximum-

SID: -change of velocity of the vehicle.

LAYTHE LANDER: Optimal launch window in T minus 30 minutes.

ROZER: Yes. You are a scientist, Sid. Tell me if I'm wrong.

ROZER: Am I wrong about this, Sid?

ROZER: Am I wrong?

Oiuu5hl.jpg

SID: How long?

ROZER: Five minutes. Sid, listen-

SID: I have 8 hours of oxium left, I'm not gonna waste them on talking with you.

ROZER: Look, if there was another way-

SID: There is. You just need to dump the samples. But you won't do this, do you? The mission is more important for you.

ROZER: What we are doing here may be crucial for everyone. For the whole world, for future generations. Whatever BERTY was hiding is going to be revealed and if they took such drastic measures to keep the real goals of the mission in secret, I'm sure that-

SID: That it's worth it, right? That's what you wanted to say.

ROZER: ...

SID: You know, I think I was wrong about you. I thought you are not who you're pretending to be. Cold-blooded professionalist, emotionally distant and all that. I thought it's just a mask. But I was wrong.

SID: Do you have anything to say about that?

ROZER: I'm sorry to disappoint you.

PzJKroi.jpg

SID: Ha. Figures. Why did I even think you were going to apologize for this?

ROZER: I'm doing what has to be done. You said you understand.

SID: Oh I do, believe me. No matter what I personally think about this what you are doing is rational. But this doesn't matter because you don't see any problem about this. No second thoughts, am I right?

SID: And for a moment I thought we may become friends. Just face it, Rozer. No matter how logical this is, you still end up killing me.

ROZER: I won't kill you. The laws of physics will.

ROZER: Two minutes. If the habitat module will be intact, you may survive another 30 days using the leftover supplies.

SID: You are a heartless b.stard, do you know this?

ROZER: I'm what I have to be.

LAV: LAYTHE ASCENT VEHICLE SEPARATED.

ROZER: I'm starting the engines. You better take a few steps away from the vehicle.

SID: Why? It's not going to change anything.

ROZER: No. It's not.

SID: Rozer?

ROZER: Yes?

SID: What are you going to tell them?

ROZER: The truth.

LAV: EXECUTING ASCENT PROTOCOL 168-C1 IN T MINUS 30 SECONDS.

SID: Ha. Truth...

ROZER: Sid? Will... will you-

SID: Forgive you? You murdered me, Rozer.

SID: But... I understand. I understand.

LAV: T MINUS 5 SECONDS .

SID: Take them to Kerbin. Make it count.

ROZER: I will. Goodbye, Sid.

SID: See you in hell.

9BExXEl.jpg

ROZER: Uh!

LAV: ACCELERATION 1.8 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 3566 METERS PER SECOND.

n2Dz3Xy.jpg

ROZER: Frak!

LAV: ACCELERATION 1.9 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 3168 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: 3 klicks.

LAV: ACCELERATION 2.0 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 3082 METERS PER SECOND.

LAV: WARNING. VEHICLE IS OFF COURSE.

ROZER: Manual override of yaw control!

LAV: MANUAL CONTROL GRANTED.

pcakhVV.jpg

LAV: VEHICLE IS ON COURSE. ACCELERATION 2.1 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 2974 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: 5 klicks. Uh!

5Zh4bQA.jpg

ROZER: Frak! Don't pass out, don't pass out, concentrate!

LAV: ACCELERATION 2.4 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 2383 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: 9 klicks. Come on!

Dj2071M.jpg

LAV: WARNING. INITIATING GRAVITY TURN IN TEN SECONDS.

ROZER: Yes! 12 klicks. Leaving the troposphere in-

LAV: WARNING. ROLL ERROR.

ROZER: Frak. Manual override of roll-

LAV: WARNING. GRAVITY TURN IN PROGRESS.

0yUiopw.jpg

LAV: ACCELERATION 2.7 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 1859 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: Manual override of roll control!

LAV: MANUAL CONTROL GRANTED.

ROZER: Come on, come on...

OwQLBKT.png

ROZER: There - SAS!

LAV: SAS ACTIVE.

ROZER: 30 klicks. The worst part is-

:sparks fly from the instrument panel:

LAV: MASTER ALARM. MAIN BUS A UNDERVOLT.

ROZER: Damn it!

LAV: SAS OFFLINE.

ROZER: Status report!

LAV: ACCELERATION 2.9 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 1638 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: Time!

LAV: FIRST BURN WILL BE COMPLETED IN 30 SECONDS. WARNING. HEATING-COOLING SYSTEM FAILURE.

ROZER: Override the- uh!

LAV: WARNING. MULTIPLE STRUCTURAL FAILURES DETECTED. FALLING AIR PRESSURE. DECOMPRESSION IMMINENT.

ROZER: Frak!

EMU: EVA Two. Oxium level – 97,56%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – 13 °C. External pressure – 0.9 atm.

3hPFrH4.jpg

LAV: ACCELERATION 3.0 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 1595 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: Just... hold... on... Just... hold - uh!

LAV: ACCELERATION 1.3 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 1486 METERS PER SECOND.

R4e6VQU.png

EMU: EVA Two. Oxium level – 97,34%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – 3 °C. External pressure – 0.5 atm.

ROZER: 40 klicks. Status report!

LAV: ACCELERATION 0 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 1426 METERS PER SECOND. APOAPSIS 57.1 KILOMETERS. FIRST PHASE OF THE ASCENT PROTOCOL COMPLETED. COASTING TO APOAPSIS.

ROZER: 1426 meters per second?

LAV: WARNING. DECOMPRESSION IMMINENT.

ROZER: RCS?

LAV: RCS NOT RESPONDING.

ROZER: 1426 meters per second... It may not be enough.

lGPu62B.jpg

LAV: INITIATING CIRCULARIZATION BURN IN 10 SECONDS.

ROZER: :breathes deeply:

EMU: EVA Two. Oxium level – 96,38%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – UNKNOWN. External pressure – 0 atm.

LAV: INITIATING CIRCULARIZATION BURN IN 5 SECONDS. THREE.

ROZER: Here we go.

LAV: TWO. ONE.

PgEyWYE.jpg

ROZER: :gasps:

LAV: CIRCULARIZATION BURN IN PROGRESS. ACCELERATION 3.2 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 1397 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: :chokes:

LAV: ACCELERATION 3.4 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 1079 METERS PER SECOND.

EMU: EVA Two. Oxium level – 96,00%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – UNKNOWN. External pressure – 0 atm.

LAV: ACCELERATION 4.0 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 847 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: Argh!

LAV: ACCELERATION 4.3 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 252 METERS PER SECOND.

554GC2C.png

EMU: EVA Two. Oxium level – 95,75%. Suit temperature – 20 °C. External temperature – UNKNOWN. External pressure – 0 atm.

LAV: ACCELERATION 4.5 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 74 METERS PER SECOND.

ROZER: …!

BDyCpQp.png

LAV: CIRCULARIZATION BURN COMPLETED. ORBIT ACHIEVED. ASCENT PROTOCOL COMPLETED. SWITCHING TO MANUAL CONTROL.

ROZER: :coughs up blood:

LAV: WARNING. MAIN BUS A UNDERVOLT. BATTERIES AT 97 PERCENT.

ROZER: :coughs: Frak... my rib...

LAV: WARNING. MAIN BUS A UNDERVOLT. BATTERIES AT 96 PERCENT.

ROZER: Status report...

LAV: ACCELERATION 0 G. TOTAL DELTA-V 14 METERS PER SECOND. PERIAPSIS 55.4 KILOMETERS. APOAPSIS 58.7 KILOMETERS. INCLINATION 0.8 DEGREE.

Odd8ph4.png

ROZER: Unfold - :coughs: - unfold the solar panels.

LAV: WARNING. SOLAR PANELS NOT RESPONDING. SOLAR PANELS DEPLOYMENT FAILURE.

pRim6zc.png

ROZER: Great. Just great. :coughs: Turn on the distress signal.

LAV: DISTRESS SIGNAL ONLINE.

ROZER: Alright. With 14 meters per second left I can at least try to raise apoapsis and circularize on a higher orbit before they-

EMU: WARNING. DANGEROUSLY HIGH LEVEL OF RADIATION DETECTED. 16,396 MILISIVERTS PER HOUR. PLEASE SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY.

ROZER: How? The hull... is breached. Decompression. Air goes out and radiation – frak. Frak!

2n0ZSGs.png

ROZER: RCS.

LAV: RCS NOT RESPONDING.

ROZER: SAS.

LAV: SAS ONLINE. WARNING. MAIN BUS A UNDERVOLT. BATTERIES AT 95 PERCENT.

EMU: WARNING. DANGEROUSLY HIGH LEVEL OF RAD-

ROZER: :coughs up blood: Concentrate, idiot. Internal bleeding is the least of your problems. Higher orbit. Go.

LAV: WARNING. MAIN BUS A UNDERVOLT. BATTERIES AT 94 PERCENT.

ROZER: Either they rendezvous with me quickly or this is it. :coughs up blood: Just so.

vzXNUk2.png

yEdh07v.jpg

MISSION STATUS

Kbno8BC.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.