[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Hey guys,

A lot is happening in these days in my life so I don't really have time to play. However when I've noticed the 0.20 KSP release I thought that maybe I should check it out. I play a little and damn, I like this game After the April purge I somwhat lost motivation which together with what is going on now makes me rather uninterested in writing. But I think I'll be back sometime soon - maybe after I put "Proteus" and crew from "Kadmos" on to the 0.20 version? After all we stopped before landing on Moho. I don't know but I don't want to abandon this project. This I can promise, when the next update will be - I honestly don't know. Thanks for all the kind words and I'm glad that I've inspired some of you to write your own AARs.

See you,

czokletmuss

UPDATE!

:)

I managed to partially transfer spacecraft from Grand Tour save to the 0.20 KSP:

PiWOCBz.jpg

What's even better, I will now be able to use MechJeb 2 instead the 1.9.8 version.

However, there is still a lot work needed to be done and I mean by this mostly lack of mod updates:

WIxwFgW.jpg

I will probably be forced to rebuild some ships or at least modify them to ensure that everything works properly. And I will have to use HyperEdit to put all these spacecraft back where they belong = when we stopped (Moho low orbit).

Anyways, with new parts and new possibilities the journey will be even more interesting :)

kvLTMDA.png

Edit: I will probably have to ask you for some advice concerning tweaking some old mods to work in 0.20 but for now Kethane Miner and LAMGL are operational :)

Edited by czokletmuss

please give us updated links to the mods for .20 when you get them for your other thread (they were there before forum went down) when they are .20 compatible. I had to move half a gig of mods OUT of my folder to let the game load. Please give up links as soon as you test them in your game

Not sure if you knew or have found out yet, but some of the mods which are shown to be missing can just be copied straight over into the new KSP folder for 0.20

I know that the HOME mod can be, as well as mech jeb and the Nova punch pack.

Looking forward to the next update!

Jacob

Wooohoooo! The Muss is back!

East Coast! :cool:

please give us updated links to the mods for .20 when you get them for your other thread (they were there before forum went down) when they are .20 compatible. I had to move half a gig of mods OUT of my folder to let the game load. Please give up links as soon as you test them in your game

I will do this as soon as everything will be updated. Be patient, I have to wait for mod updates too :)

Not sure if you knew or have found out yet, but some of the mods which are shown to be missing can just be copied straight over into the new KSP folder for 0.20

I know that the HOME mod can be, as well as mech jeb and the Nova punch pack.

Looking forward to the next update!

Jacob

Thanks for info. Mods are getting updates pretty quickly so probably in this week there will be new chapter. Though tomorrow I have to take my PC for some repairs to the service point but it shouldn't take long :)

Edited by czokletmuss

WIxwFgW.jpg

I will probably be forced to rebuild some ships or at least modify them to ensure that everything works properly. And I will have to use HyperEdit to put all these spacecraft back where they belong = when we stopped (Moho low orbit).

Edit: I will probably have to ask you for some advice concerning tweaking some old mods to work in 0.20 but for now Kethane Miner and LAMGL are operational :)

hey Muss, i use and managed to get working most of the mods you listed here in 0.20. so if you're still looking for some help feel free to ask ;)

• 2 weeks later...
hey Muss, i use and managed to get working most of the mods you listed here in 0.20. so if you're still looking for some help feel free to ask ;)

Thx, I will!

Keep it going?
He did state that he has less time to do this story, and since he needs to wait to get some mods he used updated, he may still have to wait.

Yup - I don't have much time now and I still have some troubles with the updating the whole thing. Stay tuned however :)

this is a great read :D I took the liberty of writing an article for this weeks KSP weekly promoting it, stuff like this needs to be put in front of people more often

Wow, thank you very much :) If you like this, you'll probably like the first story (prologue to this one) as well:

JOOL OF KERBOL SYSTEM

OR

THERE AND BACK AGAIN

THREAD RECOVERED AFTER APRIL PURGE

oIbG2ea.png

You can find more here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27214-AAR-Jool-of-Kerbol-system-or-There-and-Back-Again

Okay folks - almost everything is done and all parts work on 20.2. There are still few crucial elements (engines) which don't want to cooperate.

If I can force them to work, expect new chapter very soon, maybe even today.

EDIT: Still some troubles with IMV "Proteus" but LAMGML works fine

89HH0Rz.png

Edited by czokletmuss

Okay folks - almost everything is done and all parts work on 20.2. There are still few crucial elements (engines) which don't want to cooperate.

If I can force them to work, expect new chapter very soon, maybe even today.

EDIT: Still some troubles with IMV "Proteus" but LAMGML works fine

89HH0Rz.png

That image looks like a graph from a particle accelerator:

b5c2dd1fc9.jpg

CHAPTER 7

MOHO LANDING

1DaEnZQ.jpg

- Everything checked. BERTY?

- All systems work with optimum efficiency, commander.

- And you? After this system update, I mean.

- Version 2.0.8 is far superior than the previous one and works flawlessly. I'm happy to be even more capable of helping the crew of “Proteusâ€Â.

- Yeah, I guess one extra month on solar orbit wasn't that wasteful all things considered. All right then: commence recording and initiate cooling system. We're going down.

8Q5S8lT.jpg

ROZER: How long will be our EVA?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Estimated time of extravehicular activity: 4 hours.

ROZER: That's not much. Why don't we land deeper in the night side?

MALLOCK: Temperature, captain. The surface needs some time to cool off, not to mention our spacecraft cooling capability. The best and safest way is to land near the terminator in the shadow zone: LAMGML won't have to work to hard to keep optimal conditions, as well as our spacesuits. This is like going for a walk at 5AM – dark and cold but still enough time before the sunset. And by cold I mean making-cookies-without-an-oven cold

AALfzza.jpg

JEB: Okay, beginning descent.

ROZER: Shouldn't we have hazmat suits than?

MALLOCK: It will be near maximum of their capability, but our normal spacesuits will make it.

ROZER: Cool.

MALLOCK: Not really, if you know what I m...

JEB: Commencing final phase.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Cooling efficiency 79%.

MALLOCK: Oh boy!

pQLomeI.jpg

JEB: And LAMGML is on the ground!

WQhiuFa.jpg

ROZER: First successful landing on Moho. At last.

IMV PROTEUS: Amazing work guys. Remember, you have only 4 hours – get to work ASAP.

JEB: Roger that. What about radiation BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Within safety limits, commander.

JEB: Great. Prepare for EVA everybody.

zffC55B.jpg

MALLOCK: I can't wait! First samples from Moho!

ROZER: Hush, he's going to say the first words.

(…)

JEB: Icarus has fallen, but we have followed – to face the Sun itself.

zt2941v.jpg

MHVt126.jpg

HX478QW.png

UpXA4kC.jpg

MALLOCK: Just stick the flag in the ground.

JEB: Ground? It's molten rocks everywhere, Mr.. Geologist.

ROZER: Need help?

JEB: No, I'm fine. Here.

mAtu1Fz.jpg

ROZER: First of many.

JEB: Okay folks, get busy, there are rocks waiting' for us. I'll check the spacecraft first. And be careful.

MALLOCK: You mean we should stay frosty? Huh? Frosty? Anyone?

8DpXyxy.jpg

FfTdBXU.jpg

IMV PROTEUS: We're going behind the horizon, we'll be back in one hour. You're doing great job down there. Over.

JEB: Copy that.

ROZER: Lazer operational. I'll start the spectroscopy.

AXBZdRT.jpg

MALLOCK: Good.

JEB: What should I do, professor?

MALLOCK: Check the rocks over there. And keep an eye on unusual ones, there may be some meteorites here from the Late Heavy Bombardment period. I'll check the hill over there.

JEB: Okay.

mUBrkOn.jpg

NX6tt0F.jpg

gFBsaEi.jpg

5xtm04v.jpg

MALLOCK: Turning' on lazor. I'm moving to the next site.

JEB: Hey, be careful with the jetpack. Remember that the gravity...

MALLOCK: <???>

ROZER: Oh crap!

Xs3soCz.jpg

JEB: Mallock? Come in Mal, what's your status? Razor, help me with this.

ROZER: No.

JEB: What?

ROZER: I still have some samples to collect.

JEB: Are you kidding me?! Mal, come in!

ROZER: We don't have much time and the mission is the number one priority. Sorry.

JEB: Frak! Mal, are you all right?

QYhcftr.jpg

Hr3sEuN.jpg

MALLOCK: Crap... I guess I've broken my arm.

JEB: You'll live, luckily the spacesuit is intact. Come on, no more EVA for you.

MALLOCK: But...

JEB: You're loosing blood, idiot! You're going inside the ship right now, that's an order.

MALLOCK: Frak!

HX478QW.png

OOSlcaM.jpg

JEB: Mallock? Can you see us?

MALLOCK: <moan> Yeah, I'll supervise you. <moan> Take a closer look at the rocks to your left.

BERTY v.2.0.8: 90 minutes left. Radiation level rising.

ROZER: Come on, we have work to do.

JEB: You can do it Mal, in 3 hours our surgeon will patch you up.

MALLOCK: Don't worry, I have painkillers and at least it's not so bloody hot inside here. <moan> Such a shame…

HX478QW.png

VWQivb6.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Cooling efficiency: EVA-1 89%, EVA-3 96%.

JEB: I wonder what will experience meltdown first, my suit or me.

MALLOCK: Good one… commander…

ROZER: Jeb, focus on our work. We don't have much time.

JEB: Rock-picking in hell, goddamit.

HX478QW.png

X2sHQjp.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Warning. 20 minutes to lift-off. Please return to the spacecraft immediately.

ROZER: Roger.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Commander?

JEB: I'm going, I'm going.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Slow down commander, your blood pressure is too high.

JEB: Sure it is. These spacesuits… are a joke. It's just… too hot.

HX478QW.png

VYZKgmK.jpg

JEB: <breathing heavily> All right, we're ready. Prepare the engines for full thrust BERTY, we're going for the quickest randez-vous possible.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative.

JEB: Don't worry Mal, in 30 or so minutes you will be…

BERTY v.2.0.8: EEG ALARM. HEART FAILURE DETECTED.

JEB: Mal!

1GgwBdz.jpg

MISSION STATUS

1qFle2A.png

Edited by czokletmuss

That image looks like a graph from a particle accelerator:

b5c2dd1fc9.jpg

Yeah, nowadays trying to fly "Proteus" is like Large Hadron Collider but without hadrons :)

What a great way to restart this story, can't wait for the next chapter.
Malloc would disagree, but...Yeah, that's a great chapter. Only complain i have is pictures - everything is so friggin' dark :huh: Moar Illuminators! :D

Thank you very much :) And yes, they are pretty dark but that's the whole point (contrast between dark surface and giant Sun).

As you may remember, there was a lot of vehicles and modules built for the Grand Tour. Here's how it looks like at the moment:

KSP 20.2

1. LAMGML - operational

2. IMV "Proteus" - operational but with a tendency to decompose spectacularly

3. Moho Shield - ready

4. Eve Lander - ready but I have no idea whether it's still capable of SSTO on Eve; I guess we all will find out on Eve ;)

5. Payload B - not working :( I'll have to rebuild it with all the modules (Laythe Lander, probes and so on); but that ain't so bad 'cause there are a lot of new cool parts

6. AMU/Miner Unit - probably working but I need moar tests

All in all, not so bad. Eve and Dres can be done right now, but Duna and beyond (Payload B was on Duna's orbit) not really. But there is time :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.