[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Dude, we just want something! who cares about grammar!!! JUST GIVE US IT!!! NAO!
Jesus, I'd rather him just hold it back a day as your punishment for being impatient..

I'm not releasing unchecked chapter even if it means I'll be uploading it tomorrow, sorry. I would give you more screenshots to make waiting easier but I can't without giving you spoilers :P

-Off topic-

Also, thanks for introducing me to Polandball, Czok. I've even made a few comics of my own.

This was your comic? Awesome! :)

For me, it was easy to survive the wait. Why?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?737027-This-Is-Madness-Story-Of-The-Crumbling-Europe-House-Angelos

This got me playing the game, and Czo was updating this AAR during the time.

On the latest chapter in that thread: Since the Timurids are arriving, the mongols will be fighting them. Since they arrive with 150,000 troops, the the Khan will have plenty of trouble. They have 50k more troops, though, but still. This is good for the Romans, as they can take back Moesia and more.

yEdh07v.jpg

CHAPTER 61

RENDEZ-VOUS: DUNA SPACE STATION

EFJMoXP.jpg

DANREY: Undocking completed, LAMGML separated. RCS online, everything's nominal. We're good to go.

JEB: Copy that. Let's run the tests.

DANREY: Roger.

JEB: Okay, first the navigation. Enter the coordinates and check whether you can get lock on the station.

DANREY: Copy that.

CAMBO: :sigh:

JOHNDON: D-don't worry, doctor. It p-probably won't t-take long.

CAMBO: Oh no, I'm fine with this. More than a year in deep space with all systems in a hibernation mode? Dan can spend as much time on checking these systems as he wants.

JOHNDON: I agree. It's a p-pity that we couldn't have check all of t-them before.

DANREY: We did. It's just not everything can be checked with LAMGML connected to “Proteusâ€Â. Okay Jeb, I have the coordinates in the computer – nav system is locked on the Duna Space Station.

kHYRJl6.jpg

JEB: Yeah, I see. That's great news. Alright Dan, now before we are going to proceed please check the external camera.

DANREY: Copy that.

JOHNDON: Jeb, d-do you really think that the station may have b-been damaged?

JEB: I don't know. Why?

JOHNDON: T-that's why we're checking the camera, isn't it?

JEB: No. Well... yes. Maybe. Anyhow you may need it for manual docking if the autodoc system stops working.

CAMBO: Speculation about the station is pointless. We're going to be there in the next few hours – than we will know the truth.

DANREY: External camera operational.

TP3F886.jpg

JEB: Say again? I'm not getting it.

DANREY: You mean the video feed?

JEB: Yes, all I see is – no, wait. I have it now.

DANREY: Problems with data transfer?

JEB: Probably. Okay, we'll take a closer look at this later. Now, the next thing is... pressure vaults.

DANREY: Copy that. Be patient guys, it won't take long.

CAMBO: No problem.

JOHNDON: T-take your t-time, Dan.

DANREY: Sure thing. And don't worry – we'll arrive there today.

ZUIhmQK.jpg

DANREY: Cambo? Hey, wake up doc – we're getting close.

CAMBO: Hmm? What?

DANREY: We're about to cancel relative velocity to the station so expect some G.

JOHNDON: I still d-don't understand how can you just t-take a nap like this when we're about to rendez-vous, Cambo.

CAMBO: Being well-rested improves your concentration. Besides, he's the pilot – we don't have anything to do before we arrive there.

DANREY: Braking burn in five, expected acceleration 8 meters per second. Three. Two. One. Ignition.

On2LZ69.jpg

JOHNDON: Uh!

CAMBO: Just breathe deeply!

DANREY: Dammit! Four, three, two, engines cut-off. Relative velocity zero point 1, checking the orbit...

JOHNDON: :gasps:

CAMBO: Just calm down and breathe, it's over. We should – why are you laughing?

JOHNDON: We've b-been too long out here, didn't we? :gasps: Even after few seconds it really hurts.

CAMBO: It?

JOHNDON: Gravity. Are even g-going to survive the landing on Kerbin?

CAMBO: Johnny, listen-

DANREY: We're here. We're definitely nearby the station. But...

JOHNDON: B-but what?

DANREY: It's not responding and I'm trying to establish a connection on every KASA frequency.

CAMBO: Does it mean there's nobody there?

DANREY: I don't know. Maybe the comms system was damaged?

CAMBO: Aren't there backup systems which should work even if the main one is broken?

DANREY: They are. But I'm not getting anything... it's just a dead silence.

CAMBO: …

JOHNDON: …

DANREY: Uh, sorry. Poor choice of words. Johnny, could you please take care of the external camera while I'm trying to connect with the station?

JOHNDON: Sure.

CAMBO: I don't like it. We should be getting something, right? Was there any coronal mass ejection which could damage the station?

DANREY: Well, hypothetically-

JOHNDON: Ex-cam online.

fgrAdTz.jpg

CAMBO: It looks... different.

DANREY: There was at least one cargo mission sent here, remember? They wanted to expand the station.

JOHNDON: I think they d-did expand it. Can we get a little closer?

DANREY: Yes, give me a minute.

UPZf5ms.jpg

CAMBO: Assuming the comms system is broken and solar panels are still working what could be the cause of this?

JOHNDON: We'll find out soon, d-doc.

CAMBO: Sorry, I'm just thinking loudly. But still... why is it damaged?

JOHNDON: A lot of things can go wrong in d-deep space.

CAMBO: I'm not talking about the cause of this, I'm talking about how could it stay that way.

JOHNDON: You m-mean the secondary comms system?

CAMBO: No. I mean why it wasn't repaired?

DANREY: Johnny.

JOHNDON: I'm on it, let me just – wow.

ZgVojtM.jpg

DANREY: Could you elaborate? Or better give it on the main screen so that we all can – oh damn.

CAMBO: So they did expand the station after all.

DANREY: Frak me, it's twice as big as it used to be!

JOHNDON: These are new solar p-panels, designed to maximize the energy output as f-far from the Sun as to Dres orbit.

CAMBO: Why we didn't get them?

JOHNDON: Considering p-power consumption of “Proteus� We could run a coffee machine or two with them near Jool and the f-fusion cores generate enough energy to light up the entire city.

CAMBO: What about LAMGML?

DANREY: Too big and too heavy – could you zoom in on these modules?

JOHNDON: Sure.

TUVR8jO.jpg

JOHNDON: The one on the left is a small crew habitation m-module with additional monopropellant tank, I think. The other one on the right is a service module – you can see the nickel-hydrogen b-battery with solar arrays and I think there's a control m-moment gyroscope placed on the top of it. Probably b-backup life support system too – see these four solar panels on the service module?

DANREY: Emergency power system. Yeah, so I think they didn't have problem with this – it seems like the station has all the juice it needs.

CAMBO: So what now? Can we even dock?

DANREY: Standard common berthing mechanism should still work and I don't see any punctures in the hull so there should be no problems with pressure. But if it won't to work we're going for an EVA, so suit up – I'm sending a report to “Proteusâ€Â.

JOHNDON: And?

DANREY: And when we're done we dock.

d1STT45.jpg

2C1RK2v.jpg

DANREY: Depress completed, connection secured. Are you ready?

CAMBO: Yes.

JOHNDON: Could we just open the h-hatch please?

DANREY: Okay, opening the hatch.

:air hissing:

DANREY: We've got pressure. Doc?

CAMBO: I'm reading 1013.25 hPa – standard sea level atmospheric pressure. Breathable, the oxium level – wait, something's not right.

JOHNDON: They are reprocessing oxium using electrolysis like we do, maybe the generator-

CAMBO: Oxium is fine, it's the CO2.

JOHNDON: Too much? Carbon dioxide scrubbers could've-

CAMBO: Too low – I can barely detect it, only traces of it in the atmosphere.

DANREY: So what does it mean? Doc? The ECLSS took care of it, right? No big deal.

CAMBO: It means nobody has been breathing here for a long time. But that's not everything – I'm not getting methane or hydrogen sulphide either.

JOHNDON: Hydrogen sulhpide?

0U2EbX6.jpg

CAMBO: Anaerobic metabolism of the microorganisms originating from the gastrointestinal tract normally produces such gases during the second stage of the post-mortem decomposition of the cadav-

DANREY: Good Kod, doc – what the hell are you talking about?!

CAMBO: Nobody has been breathing here for a long time but I also can't detect the presence of any bodies, which leads to question – where is the crew?

DANREY: What bodies? We didn't even enter the fraking station, all we have are these readings for Kod's sake!

CAMBO: I assure you we won't find anyone here.

JOHNDON: M-maybe we should check the station first instead of arguing?

DANREY: He's right. Let's split up and get to work – I'll go to the command module and try to get some data from the station. You check the power system.

JOHNDON: Copy that.

CAMBO: And what about me?

DANREY: Search for the crew. Or any signs of their activity – go.

CAMBO: :sighs:

2kqv3uJ.jpg

CAMBO: I've searched everything – no sign of the crew.

DANREY: There must be something, doc, they were here. The new modules didn't assemble themselves, right? It's not such a big station after all, so I suggest you take a look again. It'll be easier with the lights on, Johndon is working on it.

CAMBO: I said I've searched every- :sighs: What about you? Any progress?

DANREY: Well, there are good news and... strange news.

CAMBO: Strange?

DANREY: I don't know how to put it but it appears that there is literally nothing in the database from before a certain date. Nothing, zero, nada, zip – no data. I thought it was just a memory corruption problem but then I checked the date and guess what: the data was erased on the same day the distress signal has been transmitted.

CAMBO: What? But is it even possible to erase all data like this?

DANREY: Not really erase, I didn't find anything which would indicate anyone's intentional action. It' just like... it evaporated. And I don't mean only reports from the base or things like this – no, I'm talking about all the data acquired during station assembly, fabric data, whatever was gathered and stored during the journey from Kerbin orbit to Duna. It simply is no there. And not, it's not possible as far as I know.

CAMBO: Hmm. Coronal mass ejection after all?

DANREY: Perhaps – what else could it be? But all the systems are working nominally so far, on the backup power system I mean. I just don't get it. We should probably take a closer look at the hardware to-

JOHNDON: Hey! Can you hear me?

DANREY: Loud and clear – did you get the main power system to work yet?

JOHNDON: Yes, I think so. Come to the hab m-module.

DANREY: Let's go, Cambo.

LUXYY3q.jpg

DANREY: And?

JOHNDON: Just give me a m-minute.

DANREY: I thought you said it's done.

CAMBO: Beautiful.

DANREY: Huh?

CAMBO: Duna. The Red Planet.

DANREY: I appreciate your sensibility doc, but it's really not-

:power converter whirring:

CAMBO: Oh!

JOHNDON: We've got p-power back!

DANREY: Fantastic! Good work Johnny! I'm going to the command module, maybe I'll get the comms system to work too.

JOHNDON: Roger that. Shall I contact with J-Jeb?

DANREY: I'll tell him when I check the communication.

JOHNDON: Okay, we'll – what are you doing?

CAMBO: Can you hear this? It's ECLSS running on 100% again. No contamination in the atmosphere, no mold or bacteria detected – actually the atmosphere here is more pure than the one on “Proteusâ€Â. So I say we're safe to – uh! :air hissing: Take the helmets off. Hmm.

29Ic2xf.jpg

JOHNDON: What is it!?

CAMBO: The smell. It smells... unused, sterile. Like a cleanroom. Perhaps... perhaps nobody was here in the first place.

JOHNDON: Imppossible – what about the new modules?

CAMBO: That's what puzzling me to. There must be someone up here, in orbit – yet there are no signs of the crew. They couldn't leave using cargo ship, they didn't stay here either, so assuming KSC didn't send a rescue mission for them... where are they?

JOHNDON: You think... you think they are still-

DANREY: I've got readings!

CAMBO: The missing data?

DANREY: No, the current readings from the sensors – they are all working!

6seQFRX.jpg

JOHNDON: Really? All of them?

DANREY: And there's more – remember this good news I told you about Cambo?

CAMBO: Yes?

DANREY: According to the data from the life support system the supplies for the station are intact. Guys, we're talking here about food and water and oxium for several months at least!

JOHNDON: That's amazing!

DANREY: I know right? And it's not only this rehydratable crap we have left on “Proteus, we are talking thermostabilized and irradiated meat, bread, rice, nuts and – oh my Kod, they have a canned beef here!

CAMBO: Canned beef!?

DANREY: And cookies! And condiments, even pepper and mustard!

JOHNDON: What about coffee? Do we have coffee?! I m-mean the real one!

DANREY: I don't know, we need to – frak me, frozen vegetables! And fruits!

JOHNDON: No way!

DANREY: Holy crap! When was the last time you ate a real vegetable, pal? Two years?

CAMBO: We do have fresh vegetables on “Proteusâ€Â.

DANREY: With all due respect Cambo, your little greenhouse project is nothing compared to this. Plus I hate carrots.

CAMBO: They have all the nutrients and vitamins you need. And you said repeatedly before the mission they they are your favorite vegetable.

DANREY: They were before the mission. I have to contact with Jeb right now, we need to – where the frak is your helmet?!

o4sB9Rx.jpg

6kFWZOx.jpg

Lplu5Bm.jpg

pf17Luo.jpg

tVFjzcP.jpg

Eescov5.jpg

zZSF90N.jpg

DANREY: Okay Jeb, we're ready – we may begin the approach.

JEB: Copy that but take it slow and easy, it's going to be nothing like LAMGML.

DANREY: Roger. Err... Jeb?

JEB: What?

DANREY: Are you sure you don't want to-

JEB: I am.

JOHNDON: We d-did get the communication to work again.

DANREY: Yeah, we did quite a lot yesterday and even the data transfer shouldn't be a problem.

JEB: No.

q0w5YRL.jpg

DANREY: Listen Jeb, we both know that you are a better pilot so-

JEB: So I should dock a space station to “Proteus†manually from here? It's much safer when you do this being connected to the station. Dan, we talked about this – you can do it. You just need a little confidence.

DANREY: I don't know whether it's a good idea. Even Rozer-

V9wkCtI.jpg

JEB: He isn't going anywhere from here and I'm not leaving “Proteus†with him onboard. We are going to try a safer option first. Come on, concentrate and do your job. You can do it.

DANREY: :sighs:

JEB: You can, Dan.

DANREY: Frak it. Okay, here we go. RCS online.

JEB: Slow and easy, Dan, slow and easy.

f7tB60f.jpg

CAMBO: Did you feel it?

JOHNDON: It's just the h-hull vibrating – this RCS was d-designed for station-keeping, not precise maneuvers.

DANREY: You aren't helping.

JOHNDON: We d-did recalibrate it though.

DANREY: Just please be quiet. Frak!

I7VIuqf.jpg

JEB: Dan, you are off course.

DANREY: I know! Correcting.

JEB: Take your time, this isn't a race. Small bursts, let it move a little and correct. And be careful with yaw on this, momentum is going to be tough.

DANREY: Oh crap...

JEB: I see, just counter it. And relax for God's sake – you have tanks full of monopropellant.

lUaFO85.jpg

DANREY: Frak, not again!

JEB: Just counter it and go back. :sighs: How much monopropellant do you have?

JOHNDON: Twenty one percent.

JEB: Twenty one? I thought it was thirty one?

JOHNDON: It w-was an hour ago.

JEB: Damnit. Okay Dan, change of plans.

DANREY: What?

JEB: Sorry but you're down to almost 20% of monopropellant and I'm sure as hell won't be able to dock “Proteus†to the station.

DANREY: You mean you are going to do this manually?

JEB: It seems so. Prepare the LAMGML for undocking.

xTWR0Dy.jpg

DANREY: And braking completed, relative velocity zero point one. We are ready – are you getting the video feed?

JEB: Yes. Is the station ready? Ned and others are waiting in the airlock for a long time now.

JOHNDON: Everything is r-ready.

CAMBO: Good luck, Jeb.

JEB: It's not about luck, doc.

AzFxpis.jpg

sSfwLHT.jpg

DANREY: Good Kod, you are almost there!

JEB: ...

JOHNDON: One m-meter. Zero point n-nine. Eight.

CAMBO: Incredible.

JEB: ...

JOHNDON: Five. Four. Thirty centimeters!

DANREY: And contact!

JEB: Uh! Securing connection.

oTJhBwK.jpg

CAMBO: Are you okay?

JEB: We're good, we just got some momentum. This station is one fat bird, I'll tell you that.

DANREY: And? Is the connection-

JEB: I've got readings! You hear me? I'm getting data directly from the station!

JOHNDON: Yes!

CAMBO: But is the station responding? Does it react to commands from “Proteus�

JEB: I'm about to find out – lights on.

RvjtzXM.jpg

JOHNDON: It's working!

DANREY: Yes! The lights are on, Jeb! It looks beautiful – can you see it? Oh man, you are brilliant!

JEB: Yeah.

CAMBO: Magnificent work, Jeb.

JEB: Thanks but we'll celebrate later. Dock as soon as you can, we've got lots of work to do.

DANREY: Copy that – I can't wait for these supplies to be taken from the DSS.

JEB: I'm sorry to disappoint you but you won't be the one to carry the containers.

DANREY: What do you mean?

JEB: Additional supplies are a very pleasant surprise but we didn't come here for them. We've come for our people, our crew and they are probably still on the surface. There is no other option – we must land on Duna.

gpKvLU0.jpg

yEdh07v.jpg

MISSION STATUS

Sr3nO0N.png

Edited by czokletmuss

My Kod... It's full of stars.... Well, I'm sure Jeb qualifies :)

Things getting interesting. Station expanded. No sign of wear and tear on the Life support. No sign of habitation at all. No data before the signal...

This can mean only one thing! THIS STATION IS A CLONE!

Some alien malarky has duplicated the entire station, starting at the point the signal was sent, leaving it untouched by Kerbal hands. It's the only logical answer! :)

Things getting interesting. Station expanded. No sign of wear and tear on the Life support. No sign of habitation at all. No data before the signal...

Some alien malarky has duplicated the entire station, starting at the point the signal was sent, leaving it untouched by Kerbal hands. It's the only logical answer! :)

ALIENS DID it man

Actually, that's not as silly as it sounds... Because something is clearly not right here.

Great chapter as always! That station bit gave me the creeps.

Well, after Cambo said that there was no Hydrogen sulhpide and therefore no bodies, I did not really find it creepy - Ike station was much more terrifying.

Terrific job on the new chapter, czo! :D

Anyway, WILD SPECULATION TIME! :D

The station is owned by the space kommunists who have went down to the surface in order to destroy/capture the filthy kapitalist pigs.

Edited by Krevsin

... Oh. My. Kod. ITS BACK!!!

Yes it is :)

A safe(?) haven reached, and another mystery...

Another mystery or another part of the same one?

Great chapter as always! That station bit gave me the creeps.

Thanks and good, it was intended to :P

Something isn't right at all on (and above) Duna.....

Great chapter, Czok! :)

Of course it isn't :)

ALIENS DID it man
Actually, that's not as silly as it sounds... Because something is clearly not right here.

Well, after Cambo said that there was no Hydrogen sulhpide and therefore no bodies, I did not really find it creepy - Ike station was much more terrifying.

:dun dun dun:

Oh yes, so called "Ike station"...

YAY NEW CHAPTER I SHALL REJOICE

Haha, really. Hope the posting frequency shall go up!

It will - take a look on the sneak-peak screenshot :)

ERMEGHERD

CHAPTERS

No, seriously, that was an intense chapter. Kudos to you, Czok!

Thank you :)

Well done, as always Czok. That's two chapters in a row without a catastrophe. How long can this last! :)
Amazing chapter, and nothing went wrong..... I'm getting quite worried now, for when the cataclysm does strike. I mean, its better to have several small issues over one huge issue.

We'll see about that :)

Terrific job on the new chapter, czo! :D

Anyway, WILD SPECULATION TIME! :D

The station is owned by the space kommunists who have went down to the surface in order to destroy/capture the filthy kapitalist pigs.

Interesting theory but I think it fits Space Race period more than near future of "The Grand Tour".

With all due respect Cambo, your little greenhouse project is nothing comparing to this. Plus I hate carrots.

Compared, not "comparing".

Thanks for the chapter!

Corrected!

And to show you that I'm really back and the status of the next chapter is "work in progess", here's the sneak-peak screenshot from the chapter 62:

ykLhL9Z.png

BTW I find it interesting that nobody noticed how big "Proteus" is relative to the DSS :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.