[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

wait

if both of the landers were destroyed how can berty carry on with the mission?

they cannot gather any science from the surface

Maybe he doesn't even want to carry on with the mission, he might have his own plan (that hopefully doesn't include killing everyone :D)

That does not look like a escape trajectory to me, more like a rendez-vous with something...

It looks to me like Rozer may have a chance, as he is the active vessel (blue line,) targeting DSS from the looks of the symbol and the fact that the line is yellow. Those orbits do look fairly matched. However, Proteus's trajectory shows its orbit having deviated from those a short time ago- that burn we saw.

Agree with post above. He appears to be rather close to the DSS. Even if he can't move, someone else can come and save him. Even if his ECLSS system is disabed, I would not expect a rapid decompression of the suit. Without it, he has probably a minute 30, but with it, probably 5 minutes. Seems to be enough for me. Although, given the amount of times that I have been incorrect, that may not be the case.

Proteus doesn't look like it's leaving Duna

Well, actually:

7AlxWjN.jpg

Yes, this is another sneak-peak screenshot (T+15m after separation from DSS); I have some delay with next chapter for CK2 AAR so don't expect new chapter of "The Grand Tour" before Wednesday (though planned ETA is this week).

Well, actually:

http://i.imgur.com/7AlxWjN.jpg

Yes, this is another sneak-peak screenshot (T+15m after separation from DSS); I have some delay with next chapter for CK2 AAR so don't expect new chapter of "The Grand Tour" before Wednesday (though planned ETA is this week).

My heart skipped a beat seeing that; I thought it was a Kerbol escape trajectory.

Chapter 66: PROTEUS ARRIVES AT EARTH

Well, actually:

Wow what a cliffhanger!

Funny but some writers have this power to create perfect cliffhangers. Strangely, a lot of manga writers and anime screenwriters always manage to make a cliffhanger when you don't suspect it.

It still seems like a minor orbit change outside of the Duna system - perhaps a burn to solar orbit to get away from Rozer and the others while waiting for an Eeloo window? Or a flyby of another planet first?

Well, actually:

Awwww, you mean Rozer's not keeping up with Proteus? They don't make RCS packs like they used to! :D

(BTW, seems your inbox is packed Czokletmuss. Private messages aren't getting through)

Someone remind me, there wasn't any fuel at the station they just left, right? Because I'm pretty sure fuel was a big issue after the mining/refueler bit the big one. I'm pretty sure that a straight run to Eeloo is out, though a 'grand tour' thing with various gravity slingshots around planets to save fuel might work... take a LONG time though!

Someone remind me, there wasn't any fuel at the station they just left, right? Because I'm pretty sure fuel was a big issue after the mining/refueler bit the big one. I'm pretty sure that a straight run to Eeloo is out, though a 'grand tour' thing with various gravity slingshots around planets to save fuel might work... take a LONG time though!

If Berty keeps Jeb that's going to be the perfect hell.

Well, actually:

It is escaping...but only just escaping. That certainly isn't a straight enough escape trajectory to be heading to Eeloo; I'm not sure it would even get to Kerbin. Which begs the question: where is the Proteus going??

It is escaping...but only just escaping. That certainly isn't a straight enough escape trajectory to be heading to Eeloo; I'm not sure it would even get to Kerbin. Which begs the question: where is the Proteus going??

Plus, isn't it out of landers?

Well Eeloo has no atmosphere, and its gravity is pretty much the same as the Mun. So maybe BERTY is so laser-focused on completing the mission and Jeb is just so out of it and suicidal at this point that they'll actually try to land Proteus on the surface. What's the TWR on that thing anyway? Could it theoretically be done?

Well Eeloo has no atmosphere, and its gravity is pretty much the same as the Mun. So maybe BERTY is so laser-focused on completing the mission and Jeb is just so out of it and suicidal at this point that they'll actually try to land Proteus on the surface. What's the TWR on that thing anyway? Could it theoretically be done?

It launched from Kerbin under its own power, so it has the TWR. But its really not built for landings. Way too long and thin.

That pic didn't necessarily mean it was at the end of the burn. It could have been during the burn and the course shown wasn't the final escape course. T+15min is a while, and usually I'd expect a burn to be over by then, but BERTY could be running thrust light to be safe. The Proteus has been through a lot.

It launched from Kerbin under its own power, so it has the TWR. But its really not built for landings. Way too long and thin.

Landing legs are overrated. He might just pancake it down horizontally, after all. The mission was to get to the planets, not necessarily to return home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.