[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Wow. Great Ending.

Well, this is why I don't like american politics - is it evil to want them to lose? Because these secrets (whatever they may be) deserve to get shared with the world. I hope Rozer refuses (yes, probaby won't happen) or at least not only follow his orders this time. Also, I hope they don't get Ned. And, I bet that Jeb will be alive when they get to Eeloo.

Damn, hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the sequel (but as always, take your time please).

I hope you meant Kermarcian, not American.

Once again, I remember why I'm not really proud to be American. This chapter provides a great summary for why I feel this way - if only it had mentioned the imperial measurement system in there as well it would have been complete!

He managed to leave us with one more cliffhanger...

BAGEL: Even Rome fell at the end, Dwight.

PRESIDENT: Yes, they did. But there's one difference between us and them.

BAGEL: Yes?

PRESIDENT: We have nukes.

BAGEL: …

PRESIDENT: Come on, Chuck. The last one out turns off the lights.

The day the world died, nothing was learned...

--Miracle of Sound, The Day The World Died

Of course it wouldn't end there! :D

I'll just note that if you are taking inspiration from today's France for Kfrance, things would probably go slightly differently. Apart from fringe lunatics, most Christians would actually cope quite well with news of alien intelligence AFAICT. The fringe lunatics would cause problems, but I doubt we would reach 15 000 injured. I don't know about the Muslims, but assuming that the extremists would be boosted, their style is more terrorism than violent protests - so far most of them were shut down before acting, but the odd cell is regularly dismantled. With this kind of events, counter-terrorists would probably be overwhelmed, though, and the resulting violences would probably outshadow protest injuries.

OTOH, the government would use this to come down hard on Christians for various reasons (mostly political - most Christians vote for the opposition). This could result with Christian protests against that, and some troubles would be to be expected, but they tend to be pretty calm protesters here. Of course, a few extremists and/or anyone giving orders to the police can (and did) engineer troubles, but this would conduct mostly to (possibly mass/arbitrary) arrests, and probably not that many injuries. I would expect bigger and violent anti-Christians protests, as well as aggressions and vandalism, to be honest.

With another government, I would expect some other form of incompetence, be it coming down hard on the Muslim (less probable but possible - with similar results) or simply letting the varied extremists (both religious and anti-religious) gain momentum until things blow up - but then again, most of the violence from protests would be between opposed groups more than with the police.

So it would probably be Hell Lite, simply not involving the antiriot police that much.

You know what, I'm glad the middle of an alien-discovery world crisis, however awesome this would be otherwise. I'm also glad I'm not Christian there, actually. Or extremist. Well, actually maybe I would be fine...

Funnily, given how sect close-mi jer enthusiastic some of them can be, I would expect pro- and anti-METI to take it at a whole new level.

Please have more of the President - he's a brilliant character, some of the best lines in the series, and he's only appeared in one episode. You surely channelled Dr. Strangelove when writing him.

Some Jonathan Swift-esque biting polemic as well - I can't believe you managed to made Ned a Snowden analog!

Good grief, this second part has been going over a year - you launched from the old KSC!

You should use Kerbin City for a few scenes, at least, in the next one. Oh, the mods you have to choose from now....drool...

Edited by colmo

Poor Nedfurt. Poor all of them really. Doesn't sound like Kerbin is doing particularly well. Much sequel hooks. Part of me is slightly disappointed you didn't photoshop the white house green. Anyway, a good conclusion to a great story.

There's only one way to mark the ending of something like this. Let us all stand for the 21 engine salute:

oHwqpPk.gif

*Salutes*

P4UtCnV.gif

Edited by Tw1

Well, this was absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing. :D

Obligatory congratulatory Polandball:

qDOTWZB.png

Now if you would excuse me, I'm going to go kidnap Squad's pets and loved ones to make them release .25 and .26 faster.

Czo, you are a steely eyed missile man. (for reference: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/steely-eyed_missile_man) Great story, and a great ending. Only, part of me wishes that Jeb would just have his ending. But hey, that means moar Grand Tour. I can live with that. And you are the master of the cliffhanger, why would the end of the story be any different! :)

Well done, sir, well done.

Some questions may have been answered, but few remains:

Why did Jeb abandon his crew and reactivates BERTY?

How many space agencies have their own telescopes?

Will this be just the space race to Proteus? Or will this escalate into Kerbal War III (provided that there are 2 wars before)?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.