[1.0.4] (2015-07-04) Telemachus – Telemetry and Flight Control in the Web Browser

Rich

I recently installed this mod to do some interfacing with python on another computer and I love how simple it is. The only problem with it is that while flying, my camera will do some funky things....

http://youtu.be/FlivLmsiiDU

This video is from a fresh install of .25 (no other mods) which Telemachus says is a working version. However this is still a problem with my .9 install with (almost) no mods (Kerbal Engineer, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Precise Node). It seems like the center of mass is randomly being projected far from the real center of mass and the camera follows it, but I do not know how to fix it. Without Telemachus installed, there are no camera problems on either install of KSP. Also, I have tried using the mod on two different computers with the same problem.

Any advice on how to fix or troubleshoot the problem would be very helpful. Thank you!

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but here was what I was doing...

I had the Telemachus telemetry being read by a python library called pyksp and then printed to command prompt from python. As a test, I tried running Telemachus just from the browser without the python app running but I encountered the same problem.

Thank you for the quick response. Does this answer your question?

If it helps - I've observed the same problem. It doesn't actually seem to be the COM moving, as the controls still actually work correctly and respond appropriately, if you switch to IVA. It happened to me when I was trying to build an external app to display a lot of data. I was using constant http polling, as I'm fairly novice at programming and couldn't figure out how to make the websockets work from inside my c# based client. I don't remember what frequency I was polling at, but I was trying to drive an external PFD, so I would have been grabbing orientation, speeds, and the basic orbital parameters several times per second, and the 'camera flyaway' wasn't happening every flight, but it was consistent enough to make me abandon what I was doing.

I felt like, after watching the demo web apps just work, if I could have switched to websockets it would have been fine... but I knew Rich wasn't finding oodles of time to keep working on this, so I went ahead and coded my own way to get data out of KSP.

What I did, if it matters to you, was inspired by the Go At Throttle Up plugin (also doesn't seem to be under active development anymore.) I made KSP just http POST all of the variables I wanted at the frequency I wanted them, then I put together a really basic webserver that ran as part of my client. That way I offloaded the server duties outside of KSP - all it had to do was shout out the info I wanted, and I was in control of when it did that in the part update cycle, instead of making KSP handle requests from the outside world whenever the client demanded them. It seemed, in my less than scientific testing, to make KSP dilate time less, and it fixed the camera fly away bugs.

I didn't post about it then because I figured it was the way I was abusing Telemachus, and the fact that I wasn't smart enough to use the more advanced interface that were at fault, not the plugin, but if Rich is looking into it, I wanted to provide all the info I could remember. Hope it helps!

Art

I have some questions about this:

Can I run this from my mobile or other devices where KSP is not installed on?

Can I send commands to my ships even if KSP is not running?

Do I get telemtry from my ship even if KSP isn't running?

Otherwise, its really an awesome idea! Hope you'll continue development Rich!

Sure! I think that it is even possible to get telemachus working over the internet (controlling your ship from work, I must try that :D) if you redirect the port!

Nope, Telemachus is a KSP plugin and it runs inside KSP, so KSP needs to run.

I can't wait for the 0.90 update! I can't fly without my ruby REPL using websockets lol

Otherwise, its really an awesome idea! Hope you'll continue development Rich!

Yes, KSP must NOT run on your external/mobile device to connect to your KPS/telemachus.

Thanks guys! But how can I see data from the ship on my mobile? I've tried to connect to the "website" Telemachus loaded my data to, and I could open it from my pc where KSP (and Telemachus) is running on, but not from my mobile. How could I do that? It said "website not found". :/

Thanks guys! But how can I see data from the ship on my mobile? I've tried to connect to the "website" Telemachus loaded my data to, and I could open it from my pc where KSP (and Telemachus) is running on, but not from my mobile. How could I do that? It said "website not found". :/

By default Telemachus serves to a website that only your computer can see. You need to change it to your computer's network IP address in the Telemachus configuration file and then, provided your phone is connected to the same wifi network, you should be able to load the page.

If it helps - I've observed the same problem...

Me too, the only time I have noticed this bug is when I was hammering the Telemachus server every 0.05 secs and requesting pretty much every available piece of telemetry. I assumed it was because I was abusing Telemachus too much, now I only make each request every 0.1 secs and only request a few pieces of data at a time, and I haven't noticed this since.

Thanks,

ttb

• 2 weeks later...

Updating Telemachus to work with KSP 0.90 is taking a while, because the Telemachus web socket server current causes the game to crash on exit. I know what is causing the crash but my attempts to resolve the issue thus far have failed. I will have some more time next week to make further attempts at fixing this issue.

Thanks for the update. I thought that this plugin might have been dead in the water after the 0.90 update and not hearing anything for a while. Hope you can fix the web socket issue without too much fuss.