[1.0.4] (2015-07-04) Telemachus – Telemetry and Flight Control in the Web Browser

Rich

Hi Rich, having a little problem with the websocket. I've connected successfully and I've sent this as my request:

{"+":["v.[SIZE=2]missionTime​","v.na[/SIZE]me"]}

However, the reply I get from the server looks like this:

{:0,"v.missionTime":"probeStackLarge (Test Rocket)"}

For some reason, there's this ":0" element at the start of the JSON and it seems to be throwing off my program and Chrome returns a SyntaxError. Is this a problem with my request, or is it something caused by Telemachus? Thanks for the mod by the way, it's so handy!

Amazing! I've been hoping for someone to try this for a while now! So you've my day :)

That looks GREAT. I have been wanting something like this for a long time.

I certainly look forward to being able to test / use.

many thanks to all....

Hello there!

Question for anyone here. I assumed that the telemachus data being broadcast would be accessible to anyone if I give them the correct IP adress... yet I can't seem to be able to do that. Is the data only accessible locally?

Hello there!

Question for anyone here. I assumed that the telemachus data being broadcast would be accessible to anyone if I give them the correct IP adress... yet I can't seem to be able to do that. Is the data only accessible locally?

By default, Telemachus broadcasts on all available interfaces, shown in the Telemachus/Plugins/PluginData/Telemachus/config.xml file. However, your computer's firewall may be blocking other devices from your network from viewing the data. Also, make sure that you're using the correct address to connect ([localIPAddress]:[Port]), where [localIPAddress] is the address of the computer running Kerbal, and [Port] is the port number set in config.xml (by default this is 8085). https://github.com/richardbunt/Telemachus/wiki/Configuration-File

By default, Telemachus broadcasts on all available interfaces, shown in the Telemachus/Plugins/PluginData/Telemachus/config.xml file. However, your computer's firewall may be blocking other devices from your network from viewing the data. Also, make sure that you're using the correct address to connect ([localIPAddress]:[Port]), where [localIPAddress] is the address of the computer running Kerbal, and [Port] is the port number set in config.xml (by default this is 8085). https://github.com/richardbunt/Telemachus/wiki/Configuration-File

oh... that could be.. problematic, considering my hag is automatically blocking every port no matter what I do...

Well, thanks anyways!

When did you download the latest version of Telemachus? I borked the upload and have since corrected the mistake (3 days ago). Otherwise I will need to check for further issues.

Also, nice setup :P. As someone who works mostly in a terminal I'm a big fan of this look.

Hey, you're right! I installed 1.4.29.0 via github, and I am no longer having the n/a data and flickering text issue. Thanks for the heads up (and the compliment) Rich! :D

It looks like the camera still keeps getting displaced, though... not sure if that's an issue with Telemachus or its interaction with the terminal app. I'll have to play around with it some this weekend. Any Ideas?

I really appreciate the awesome work you've been doing!

Installed the latest release and it worked just fine out of the box for me with 1.0.4.

I'm having fun with the map and telemetry. One thing I quickly realized -- the app will show my current position, but not the path I've traveled to get where I am. Is that something you could add in the future? Also, I am using the graph to track liquid fuel and oxidizer, and since I know my initial takeoff weight of fuel I can calculate the amount of fuel I need to make it home -- is there any way to display a percentage in the telemetry sidebar?

I will definitely be playing with this more now that 1.0.4 is out. :-) Thanks for an awesome mod!

Jack.

I think you might want to update the reference for CKAN if this is working fine even with the current version as CKAN thinks it only works on 1.0.2 without an update to the config.

Also, Trying to figure out how to set it up, so a friend can see it from where he is in the browser.

Edited by Ryusho

I tried running telemachus on linux 64 bit version of KSP, 1.02. 1.02 shoudl be fine, right? telemachus wasntupdated to 1.04

It works partially. I am able to controll hip from web browser using flight controll or touchball. Right click menu on antenna shows that data is transferred.

But browser wont recive info from game, marker on map wont move and graphs display red "bad data".

And on top of that after some time in game everything disappeared, i just saw skybox, same in space center, log showed "look rotation viewing vector is zero" multiple times. Mayb its somehow related to telemachus too.

I tested it on clean install except KER installed.

I just installed Telemachus with the mkon Interface mod. After a while the mod stopped working, even after multiple reinstalls of the mod and KSP. I also tried it without mkon, but that also didn't help.

The Telemachus anntena open link function doesn't work, and it's Up- and Down Link Rate are constantly at 0bit/s. According to the wiki, I should just look for some IP's in the Debug menu, but I couldn't find any there.

What I found though was:

[Log]: [Telemachus] Unable to open the data link. Please try to edit the Telemachus configuration file manually

I then edited the config.xml in /GameData/Telemachus/Plugins/PluginData/Telemachus to make the <string name="IPADDRESS">-1</string> say <string name="IPADDRESS">192.168.178.24</string>This also didn't fix this. I only found two other different piece of text in the debug menu that looked kinda unusual, which were:

[Log]: [Telemachus] at Servers.AsynchronousServer.Server.startListening () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Servers.MinimalHTTPServer.Server.startServing () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Telemachus.TelemachusBehaviour.startDataLink () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[Log]: [Telemachus] Unable to find bind to address.

I don't know if this normal, but I thought it could maybe help. I am using Linux Kubuntu 15.04 64-bit.

EDIT:

I managed fixing the problem temporarily by repeatedly restarting my computer, but a official fix (If possible) would be appreciated.

Edited by Leoworm

Thanks for the bug report. I've never personally tested Telemachus on Linux, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Are you using the 64-bit version of KSP? As this has the potential to cause Telemachus to die. In the meantime, I'm stress testing (up-time) Telemachus with KeRD overnight to see if I encounter any issues on Windows.

Wow this is really cool, I just got back from controlling KSP with my tablet! I think I want to go ahead with making my own interface for this.

...I have no idea how to do that, but I'll do some research.

Thanks for the bug report. I've never personally tested Telemachus on Linux, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Are you using the 64-bit version of KSP? As this has the potential to cause Telemachus to die. In the meantime, I'm stress testing (up-time) Telemachus with KeRD overnight to see if I encounter any issues on Windows.

Yes, I am using the 64-bit version of KSP. Thanks for replying! :D

Also nice to hear you also checking the KeRD interface for any bugs! I presonally prefer MkON because of the modularity. Sadly chrisnic/Sli doesn't seem to update it anymore.

Edited by Leoworm

I briefly looked into the 64 bit issues while there was a 64-bit Windows edition, but I never discovered the true cause of the instabilities.

I managed to successfully run KeRD for 6 hours without any drop outs, which is certainly a good result for the web socket server. Unfortunately the default interface relies on the HTTP API which has limitations that lead to a loss of services after a while. MkON uses web sockets though, so it should not drop out from that particular limitation.

Wow this is really cool, I just got back from controlling KSP with my tablet! I think I want to go ahead with making my own interface for this.

...I have no idea how to do that, but I'll do some research.

I would start by checking out the list of projects which use Telemachus.

Edited by Rich

Hello there Rich,

Thanks for developing this mod! Its really cool, and might be really useful. I work in an further education college (UK), and want to use the game in one of our classes: I could really do with being able to get at tables of data so the students can use it to prepare information from scratch. The class is usually dull, but I figured that using KSP and this data would let them work together on something simulated, then capture a load of info and report back to their team.

The plan as it stands is to get students to work in small groups, with a team leader, an engineer, a designer, a pilot, and one scientist who reports back to the group. Then they all swap places and try again: hopefully learning from their mistakes!

I saw that you were plaining on making tables available, is there a way to export data from the mod? Ideally a csv or xls file would be brilliant, but even a web table would be ok as we could convert it.

Thanks

Edited by Makarismos
correction, more info