Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

dAKXorI.png

My tank, which doubles as a rover. Just swap out the i-beams for science probes.

zvdYWkD.png

Firing cannons! (LOTS of recoil, hence the landing legs)

/EDIT:/

Also, here's an AA missile rover:

Wj5fjsk.png

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

I can only imagine the scenes at mission control...

Lwnxun6.jpg

"WHO GAVE JEB THE REMOTE CONTROL? You know why he's got got a flight ban? It's so he can't do things like driving state-of-the art rovers off the edge of a cliff... oh, he made it down safely... right. Dammit, Jeb."

U3mB0tu.jpg

I've been planning to build a colony on Minmus using Roverdude's Modular Kolonization System mod and I needed a way to assemble the modules once they'd landed. The only logical solution is - a space crane.* I used philotical's Planitron mod to test the rover without hyperedit at KSC.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

*does anyone have a good way to post imgur galleries? I tried quoting other's posts to see how they did theirs, to no avail. - Thanks.

Edited by Torxhead
Endless image editing.

The "Adventure Class Mun Rover" can send 1-2 Kerbals to the Mun (hypothetically every other world too) and can give them the ability to travel over vast expanses of terrain. Clocked on the Mun at 25 m/s before it hit a jump and blew its tires. Although it has an irregular design, I have built a "cage" out of struts and supports, that decouples on final approach to the surface.

cOIPp7B.png?1

I don't know if I shared this yet. This is my rover that went to Eeloo.

OAUZ23O.jpg

Essentially, it was part of a stack of 3 items combined into a single lander. The rover, a habitat/return vessel, and a Kethane refinery.

aI0Riyy.jpg

M5rmzRz.jpg

9lZBFtF.jpg

Hubo, that's an awesome post. I really like your mobile lab.

Thanks, my Kerbals at the Minmus base are having fun driving this mobile-laboratory. My off-duty Kerbals will keep a "Minmus-landspeed record" this weekend, but the designer department at the Kerbin Space Center had no time to construct these vehicles. If they come up with some useful "racecars", (safe for Kelbals) I will post some photos about this event too.

I had some spare time today, and i used it to create this little exploration rover. Due to its insectoid appearance, i named it Locust. It is very lightweight and is equipped with a wide and redundant installation of scientific equipment. It can be carried by a lander and will be re docked and carried back with the launcher at the end of the mission. It will be part of an interplanetary mission and will set wheels on more than just one world. The tests proved, that the Locust rover is a very stable vehicle, that shows no intention to flip over, even at maximum speed.

IIP5O6B.png

NVpCG8m.png

I had some spare time today, and i used it to create this little exploration rover. Due to its insectoid appearance, i named it Locust. It is very lightweight and is equipped with a wide and redundant installation of scientific equipment. It can be carried by a lander and will be re docked and carried back with the launcher at the end of the mission. It will be part of an interplanetary mission and will set wheels on more than just one world. The tests proved, that the Locust rover is a very stable vehicle, that shows no intention to flip over, even at maximum speed.

http://i.imgur.com/IIP5O6B.png

http://i.imgur.com/NVpCG8m.png

It looks awesome!, im terrified of insects, but i love mechanical ones! Great job!

I made two variations on a theme:

For the Mun I stacked 3 rovers on top of a landing module, separated by decouplers, and lowered one leg of the lander before firing them off to the surface:

Landed -

mFzkfhb.jpg

Deploying -

6cLvc76.jpg

All present and correct -

gbZ31VZ.jpg

For Minmus I added a landing module for each rover, and was able to put one on each of 3 big seas from one rocket, by landing all 3, separating the bottom one, and taking off again, then repeating for the stack of 2-

1Jux4RL.jpg

The disadvantage is that there's a useless chunk of decoupler attached to the top of each rover, but they're still pretty stable.

... The disadvantage is that there's a useless chunk of decoupler attached to the top of each rover, but they're still pretty stable.

If you don't mind "littering", replace decouplers with separators. I use those so that I'm not stuck with useless mass on either my landers or rovers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.