8AACDA56A68CBF35127DA5289703343A3526B07B

A8810E0799663E13C59EF621A8911F256519F2D6

5B9CA9EC4D82AD4B396BBC26ECDFAD73810BB2D6

And my expedition to Duna has two new "Warthog" designed rovers:

11D6F11E626DF311E0416CEFC156B4617F854CAE

DFD4D1B7D19A447C6447F9ADBEC18AF428D32EC2

99910448EF304039173B06693B20B3D74360401A

03812DB476F27861AAFC6A51CF8B15EE32CB2E01

Sadly this rover is too light, every braking ends with a "stoppie". But it accelerates very fast, so it is a working design. Maybe it needs a trailer with science stuffs inside? :D

My Minmus-Base has a new garage building now:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/579022447022013961/03812DB476F27861AAFC6A51CF8B15EE32CB2E01/

Sadly this rover is too light, every braking ends with a "stoppie". But it accelerates very fast, so it is a working design. Maybe it needs a trailer with science stuffs inside? :D

Why not turn the brakes off on the front tires? It'll decrease your stopping capabilities significantly, however, your rover won't flip.. You could also perhaps setup an action group to enable/disable/toggle the different pairs of brakes. That way if you have to go backwards, you hit a button and the front wheels are brakes while your rear wheels are free to turn, and another button will do the reverse. Then if you want to lock all four up, use the brake button on the UI to turn them all on or off.

Why not turn the brakes off on the front tires? It'll decrease your stopping capabilities significantly, however, your rover won't flip.. You could also perhaps setup an action group to enable/disable/toggle the different pairs of brakes. That way if you have to go backwards, you hit a button and the front wheels are brakes while your rear wheels are free to turn, and another button will do the reverse. Then if you want to lock all four up, use the brake button on the UI to turn them all on or off.

I did not thought about this problem when I planned this rover, this "feature" appeared during live testing on Duna. But this is not the first thing I forgot before going to a great journey, like once forgetting the ladders from a lander on Eve, and after EVA the Kerbal just stood there, cursing the spacecraft designer. :)

My first relatively successful rover landing. I like the overall design but it was top-heavy, so I removed the central octagonal strut and dropped the main RCS tank to take its place. I also got rid of the round RCS tanks as I didn't even touch them during descent. It probably could use more batteries, and I think I need redundant solar panel arrays since--oops!--I broke mine five minutes after touchdown.

I may come up with a delivery scaffolding as well, with chutes and legs, that would gently drop the rover onto the ground upon touchdown. That would save wear and tear on the wheels. Maybe add docking ports and batteries and larger solar panels, so I could reduce the number of solar panels on the rover itself. Not sure yet.

tumblr_n5r92r95L91tadoxto1_1280.png

These are some crazy rovers 0.0

Well, here's my contribution:

The BOXX-CART UT5 and UT5 Bulldozer:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2301/0hv7.png

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5918/v1di.png

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7075/vmbt.png

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1448/q08u.png

They both seat 5 kerbals and have full ''tactical gear'' - all small science gadgets that you may need ^^

(craft files are here, if you want them :3):http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59515-Showcase-Living-it-UP!-on-the-Mun-my-new-base-3

I love the bulldozer and extra-battery variations! For some reason, variations of an initial concept are some of my favorite things to make/see others construct.

Love the rovers! Mind if I try to recreate them with a little twist? I might not do as good a job as you with the looks/aesthetics, but I'd like to make a few variations with trailers ;)

Sure, if you send me an address, I could even send you the subassembly files for these rovers (but only on Friday).

This bad boy is the "Titan", a mobile H3/He3/Antimatter production facility.

E4C285CBAD782F879B700BE59BDC62689FFF3F79

536CDCDEDE27450810ECDEDE5CCB3DB1839188EA

Still needs some tweaking, but serves well as a proof-of-concept.

Now to make a nuclear powered electric VTOL to transport Stuff to and from it...:rolleyes:

P.S:

BFDDB86297709411216334606104FD698167D8C7

I hope this also counts as a rover?

Edited by Stahlwerk

Hey guys, I was wondering how you keep your vehicles from just rolling around. Either I haven't found the handbrake yet or it's just not possible. For some crafts I just use the mini lander legs as kind of anchors, but that can't be a solution.

To the tight of the altitude readout there are 3 buttons Lights on top, gear in the middle, and brakes on the bottom. Pressing B turns on the brakes temporarily but using the button keeps it on until instructed otherwise.

EDIT: I maked this.

kdvEAwx.png

Edited by Spartwo

The thing I do with my top-heavy-liable-to-roll-forward-when-braking rovers is I disable the forward brakes. Time and distance to stop is longer, but zero chance of sending the cruiser into an unintended cartwheel.

Hey guys, I was wondering how you keep your vehicles from just rolling around. Either I haven't found the handbrake yet or it's just not possible. For some crafts I just use the mini lander legs as kind of anchors, but that can't be a solution.

If by this, you mean tipping over, there are a few things you can do to minimize this:

-Build the rover with a low as possible center of gravity (low to the ground). This is more important for low gravity bodies.

-If using the small rover wheels try to position them forwards. or outwards.This will make it more stable.

-widen the wheel track and or wheel base.

-reaction wheels!

-RCS can be used to stabilize a rover.

-Test, test, test!

MJ

Since someone else made a walker, i thought that i would make one too! i like how it turned out. It can actually walk. Have not tested it on the moon yet, but i will soon!

Here it is!

xBl37Sr.png

In the process of walking/scooting:

nNjZXDy.png

Soon...

wgPNNfK.png

I've wanting to post something here for a while, but all my rovers are quite dissapointing, so i decided to make a walker... Then i notice someone already posted a walker right on top of my other walker... Anyways, here it is, on Eve!

Had a couple of issues, as for example having my landing legs upside-down, forgetting parachutes (Didn't knew where to land on, choosen Eve randomly, then noticed i didn't had chutes... While doing my circularization burn...)

2 things to mention, it was my first time landing on Eve, and for the sake of just showing/testing the "rover" in another enviroment, i cheated my way there using infinite fuel :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks to ZodiusInfuser's modeling efforts, I spent a few hours yesterday perfecting my Kethane rover (Warning: contains spoiders):

And its little babies:

Mod list (beeg spoider):

• Infernal Robotics and Rework for the legs.
  • Habitat Pack for the pod opisthosoma (tail, abdomen, icky ball thing).
  • KAS for attachment spinneret and crane on opisthosoma.
  • Kethane for the main body tank and the drill 'fangs'.
  • SCANsat for GPS and anomaly tagging.

And small spoider:

Now to get the blasted things to move...

Also, does anyone know of a spherical container where I could put a dozen or so of the babies and release them when needed?

Does this count? It's a cube that rolls around on a planetary surface.

-snip-

I'd say it counts! I like the idea but never used it, simply because of the difficulties involved in getting it moving and controlling it. How did you overcome this? (If you even did, that is :P).

I'd say it counts! I like the idea but never used it, simply because of the difficulties involved in getting it moving and controlling it. How did you overcome this? (If you even did, that is :P).

The plates are held together firmly and there are 3 layers of them, hence it is almost indestructible, i did have to tweak the number of reaction wheels a few times though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.